“Star Wars”: Boba Fett Movie in the Works with James Mangold

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, May 27, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Logan’s James Mangold will co-write and direct a Star Wars movie starring bounty hunter Boba Fett. Like the just-released Solo (which seems to be doing merely so-so), it will be a standalone film that focuses on the titular character. Some fans think that Fett’s prequel history should be retconned.

Boba Fett was introduced in 1980’s Empire Strikes Back and then appeared in 1983’s Return of the Jedi as the mercenary who brings Han Solo to the slug-like crime lord Jabba the Hutt. Despite having a helmet over his face and very limited time onscreen (not to mention a slapstick death), the character, with his jet pack and battle-scarred armor, grew to cult status.

2. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

This is gonna do much worse than Solo.
    They already covered his origin.

stefan231 likes this.
  3. Patton187

Patton187 Limp Gawd

Jesus, I am begging for Mr. Lucas at this point.

jnemesh, N4CR, Nytegard and 3 others like this.
  4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Eh... crank 'em out.

Boba Fett is the most overrated character in the SW universe, fucker has like 3-4 lines in the original movies. Why people latched onto him and not one of the other bounty hunters I'll never know...

brucethemoose, AthlonXP and PeaKr like this.
  5. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

Disney will probably get Forest Whitaker to play Boba Fett ROFLMAO
    O wait Disney has already used him in the star wars saga

N4CR, mullet and stefan231 like this.
  6. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

I'm pretty sure there's a novel or two about every single puppet that was in Jabba's hideout. Star Wars fandom is incredibly obsessive, to them Boba is the most important thing ever.

7. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

I'm hoping it takes place after Return of the Jedi with Boba escaping the Sarlacc. But then, throughout the movie, the Sarlacc will be trying to track Boba down and finish his meal. It'd be the Star Wars equivalent of Captain Hook's relationship with Tick Tock the Alligator.

8. U-238

U-238 Limp Gawd

Yea, because the latest movie is doing so well.

Pretty sure the Star Wars cow is about done milked out now. Should've quit when it was ahead (ie: after the first 3 movies).

Denjoy likes this.
  9. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] PSU Editor & Admin Staff Member

Ok, let's not get crazy here.

lostin3d, clockdogg, Sorce and 2 others like this.
  10. thebufenator

thebufenator Gawd

After the garbage of TLJ, Solo was pretty good. Nor as good as R1, but I liked it.

dvsman and brucethemoose like this.
  11. Epic|

Epic| Limp Gawd

They should have stopped before making any of them.

Nytegard, Shadowed and DrLobotomy like this.
  12. dark_reign

dark_reign [H]ard|Gawd

Lucas can't save it. The Star Wars franchise died after The Empire Strikes Back.

13. Derangel

Derangel [H]ardForum Junkie

There is a lot of time between Clones and Empire that they can look at. Or they can make it part of the new canon that he was able to escape the Sarlac like he did in the books and go from there. Unlike Han, Fett's story is actually worth exploring and is a character that could use some more exploration.

14. Zion Halcyon

Zion Halcyon 2[H]4U

I'm sure they're going to turn Boba Fett to a social justice Warrior. That's the Trend Disney is going right now and ruining it.

dvsman, thejokker, N4CR and 3 others like this.
  15. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

Han Solo is a huge, major and established character. Giving him an origin story was just flat out stupid. A standalone movie wasn't necessarily a bad idea but it wasn't a good idea either. We really didn't need much more info about Han so that's a strike and I think they made a horrible decision regarding the actor.

If they'd skipped this and done a Lando movie instead I think things would have been better.

I have a feeling the Boba Fett movie isn't going to be very good either. It is a better idea to do the story around a lesser established character if they absolutely have to do a "character" movie but the very people who would want a Boba Fett movie are the very people who have their own ideas about what he should be like already and will be almost impossible to please.

Personally, I think these character based movies are a stupid idea. Too much has been thrown away with regards to the now non-cannon Legends material. That material has been around for way too long and there's way too much of it. That material is the basis for the opinions about most characters and these character movies will not satisfy hardly anyone because of it.

Besides, what's the point of focusing the movie on what amounts to a single person? It's a horrible idea as it tends to be very narrow in scope and you're betting all the cards on that single character carrying the movie and the story. One of the reasons I found Rogue One enjoyable overall is because it was more concentrated on the story rather than a specific character. The Star Wars Universe has plenty of stories to tell so I see no point in trying to make a movie about one character with maybe a story attached.

reaper12 and N4CR like this.
  16. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I wonder if it will have an Pansexuals in it?

steakman1971, N4CR, d3athf1sh and 2 others like this.
  17. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

I liked the story. I liked most of the characters. I thought the casting was off on Han. The rest of the cast was pretty solid. The ending sort of left it hanging a bit, as far as one of the characters went (avoiding saying too much...).

It is too bad it is bombing. It is not a bad movie.

18. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Dumpster Fire: A Star Wars Story.
    If it really bombs i will be genuinely surprised as it will mean it wasn't empty threats from fans after the last comedy special that was the last Jedi. (I found the last Jedi funny, but yes it was just a good old pissing all over any fans that takes star war a bit more serious than i do i guess)

19. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

What's next?
    From the people that brought you Brokeback Mountain comes;
    IG-88 & Bossk: A metrosexual, droid esque-reptilian Star Wars love story: Rated NC-17 = Not meant for white heterosexual males with weak stomachs.

20. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot [H]ard|Gawd

Don't really see the point to a Fett movie. What's next, "Star Wars Nature Documentary - The Life Cycle of the Womp Rat"?

From Disney's viewpoint, all of these SW movies, animated shows, etc., add to the very profitable Disney Library. Even if a movie doesn't recoup its cost of production in the theaters, Disney has many decades of sales to the Billions of yet unborn potential customers.

lostin3d and clockdogg like this.
  21. Patton187

Patton187 Limp Gawd

Save it?! I just want the patient to receive adequate hospice care.

Krenum likes this.
  22. acidrain97

acidrain97 Limp Gawd

When are we going to get a Lobot Spin Off??? Or a Gonk Bot movie. Or how the force was discovered... Shit like that.

23. kyang357

kyang357 [H]ard|Gawd

We need a palpatime story that's not done by disney.

24. ChadD

ChadD I Love TEXAS

Because he was on the Star Wars holiday special of course. :) lol

Red Falcon likes this.
  25. ChadD

ChadD I Love TEXAS

They sort of setup the bobba movie to be Solo 2 didn't they. I won't spoil anything... solo tried to explain 101 little han things, his history with boba seems a pretty logical next step for them. I have also heard they have Ehrenreich under contract for another couple movies.

brucethemoose likes this.
  26. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Man, this is something I'm excited about. 3:10 to Yuma, Logan ... excellent movies, well directed, fantastic action and story lines.

Saw Solo and we walked out lol .... Saw another guy walk out as well after he scoffed really loudly.

Hope to god it's nothing like Solo.

27. cjcox

cjcox Gawd

Actually, to prevent what happened with "Solo", "Boba" will enlist the talents of Kenny Ortega and feature singing and dancing by Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens. Rumor has it that the Jonas Brothers may even make a cameo. This could be the Star Wars we've all been waiting for.

28. Kaitian

Kaitian [H]ardness Supreme

Kathleen Kennedy is worried about her job so she made this announcement to get James Mangold as job security to prevent from being shitcanned for her horrible handling of Solo.

29. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

Star Wars has become pathetic dreck. (n)

dr_drift likes this.
  30. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Star Peace: The End Of The Rebel Scum.

Hopefully this will be out soon.

31. Inglix_the_Mad

Inglix_the_Mad Limp Gawd

No, he's going to get into a fight with a female rebel, who will completely humiliate him in the end.

/I keed

Odds are they will do a terrible job. They turned what could've been the one redeeming act of TLJ (Finn's sacrifice) and totaled it. That would've redeemed much of that disaster, elevated Finn to an earned "legendary" status. A storm trooper who discovers humanity, makes friends, overcomes his desire to run way, defends his friends, and finally decides saving others is worth more than his own survival? Epic display of humanity discovered.

32. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

I bet the big surprise will be when Boba Fett removes his helmet to reveal he's actually a 'she' and 'Boba Fett' is merely a mantle since the original Boba Fett died years ago.

Krenum likes this.
  33. Omegas

Omegas [H]ardForum Junkie

34. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

He and his father share DNA with the Stormtroopers.
    This is evidenced in the fact that, even with awesome tactical wardrobe and armament, NONE of them can hit the broad side of a barn with a scattergun from 2 yards.

35. Derangel

Derangel [H]ardForum Junkie

Even for all of its faults and the bullshit from Fox The Wolverine (the Unrated Cut) was a fun movie. Mangold being involved gives me some hope. As long as Kennedy keeps away from insane micromanaging and doesn't randomly fire him because he won't bend to her every arbitrary whim.

Lol. Though the Clone Troopers actually could aim reasonably well. It wasn't until the Empire stopped using clones that Stormtroopers couldn't aim worth a damn.

36. A Little Teapot

A Little Teapot [H]Lite

Star Wars (1977)
    The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    Return of the Jedi (1983)

Those are the only Star Wars movies ever made.

Patton187 likes this.
  37. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

I wanna see Star Wars: A Salacious Crumb Story
    U1KgGBk.gif

38. travisty

travisty Gawd

39. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Pretty sure Disney would disagree with your assessment as they count the 1.3+ billion in ticket sales they had for the Last Jedi, they just finished counting the 2 billion from The Force Awakens, and the even the 1+ billion from Rogue One.

ZeqOBpf6 likes this.
  40. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

Quantity over quality ... that is the Disney way apparently. They are absolutely murdering the star wars saga in every conceivable fashion. It was never about Solo or Fett. It was about the dark vs. the light. Either end it now before you murder it or do it slow and with mastery.