“Star Wars”: Billy Dee Williams Reprising Role as Lando Calrissian

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Hollywood Reporter received confirmation this week that Billy Dee Williams is returning as Lando Calrissian for Star Wars: Episode IX. Williams last played the suave gambler in Return of the Jedi, while Donald Glover portrayed a younger version of the character in this year’s Solo: A Star Wars Story. Based on the latest films, fans are predicting that he will certainly be killed off, and probably in an uninspiring way.

Chatter about Williams joining the production, which is set to begin later this summer, increased in recent days when the actor bowed out of an upcoming sci-fi and pop culture convention citing a conflict with a movie schedule. Sources confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Williams will indeed be returning to the Star Wars film franchise for the first time since 1983’s Return of the Jedi. The Lando Calrissian character made his suave debut in 1980's The Empire Strikes Back.

Yay! He shoulda been in the first two. Well, the first one anyways, it was a stroke of luck he wasn't in the second, for him as an actor.

Edit: And by that I mean episodes 7 and 8.

The only Disney SW that's even remotely decent is Rogue One.

The rest.... Well, it's garbage-time.

That's why I only watch the original trilogy via laserdisc rips (ie. the THX version, before the Special Edition travesty)

Also, for those that are interested in such things; check out the Despecialized Editions. Those are also respectable.

The troll machine is already ramping up, I see.

The original trilogy is a perfect hero's journey, it's impossible to build off that in a way everyone is going to like. The sequel trilogy has some issues but overall I liked the direction they went with the tragic failure of the Republic and all the ties to KOTOR (as opposed to god-like Luke and alien invasions and the evil smurf dude from the old novels). The weak stuff is mostly in the Carrie Fisher/Rebel scenes. I'm half-convinced they invented the Maz character because Fisher was too doped up to do the lightsaber reveal scene. The rebels looked like Fisher's nurses and party buddies. With Fisher gone and Kennedy supposedly on her way out of the company I think the angry conservative SJW trolling can stop.

I wouldn't mind a reboot of the prequel trilogy next. They can't get any worse.

SW Sitrep:
They're turning our beloved characters gay, and killing them off. I know Luke and Han wasn't actually gay, but their behaviour was 'gay' enough. I know it is not pc anymore to use gay like that, and I don't care.

I liked Rogue One. I liked the New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. The rest, not so much. I've rewatched ROJ and cringe when I see the damn teddy bears that were originally supposed to be wookies. I get pissed every time now.
How much cooler (and believable) would it have been with wookies fighting back. We will never know...

Its funny how everyone said, "Star Wars will be great now that George Lucas is not involved". -Including myself. Now we know friends....now we know. We have been judged.
It's more like you can't predict what a company does. Disney has a long history of making high quality movies. Disney bought Marvel and Pixar, which make good movies that make a lot of money. Since Star Wars is worth a bazillion dollars, it was a safe guess that Disney wouldn't fuck it up. So they decided to fuck it up. Oops!

George Lucas should take the $4 billion he got from the sale of Lucasfilm and buy back the company...get his friend Spielberg to invest a few billion as well...maybe even merge with DreamWorks...Disney has ruined the SW universe...biggest mistake they made was thinking that they could just turn SW into the next Marvel Cinematic Universe...

It's more like you can't predict what a company does. Disney has a long history of making high quality movies. Disney bought Marvel and Pixar, which make good movies that make a lot of money. Since Star Wars is worth a bazillion dollars, it was a safe guess that Disney wouldn't fuck it up. So they decided to fuck it up. Oops!

You have to go back even further, Disney has a long dark and questionable history. Sure they make movies that make ALOT of money but do ticket sales really tell us the quality of a movie?

Reactions: Madoc
like this
You have to go back even further, Disney has a long dark and questionable history. Sure they make movies that make ALOT of money but do ticket sales really tell us the quality of a movie?
Like Snow White, Cinderella, The Sword In The Stone?

Used to be, this was what I thought of when "Lando" and "fluid" came up in close proximity.

That's ruined now. Thanks Disney.

O M G, thats best! The power of colt 45, it works every time. F’in right it does, shotgun bitches!

Used to be, this was what I thought of when "Lando" and "fluid" came up in close proximity.

That's ruined now. Thanks Disney.

lol was just listening to the adam carolla podcast that was playing this commercial right as I read this post.

Wow. I thought they were pushing it when they brought Ford and Fisher back, now Williams? At 81, I hope they have him confined to the cockpit of the Falcon, just in case he decides to trip on his cape and break a hip.

Someone already mentioned, will they play up his pansexuality but that was a mistake. The commentor should have said pan-robo-sexuality.

If anyone hasn't seen the new Han Solo movie in it....Lando has a female, robot copilot and it's his lover. Yes, he's robosexual and has sex with robots. The robot is not humanoid looking though. It's more like a heavy-metal chasis akin to CP30. Lando literately loses his CP30 like robot lover in his arms and cries....God help SWs universe. FYI, this robot had no mouth or other orifices. Just a square non-openable head/torso piece akin to CP30. It doesn't even make sense unless Lando is a super huge fan of robot hand.

So when he shows up, expect a very real chance, he has a square, brass, robot lover he likes to make love to.

Oh, by the way, the robot is a robot-rights-activist that speaks/talks all the same points as a Feminist only as applied to robots. So Lando's "type" is a loudmouthed Feminist-like-robot. Yes, one of the coolest guys in the SW universe, just happens to totallllllyyy dick feminists. I mean robotists....

It would not be so bad if the the film makers just kept off of social media explaining how and where they injected their stupid politics into the movie. Oh, and if they actually tried to make a good movie.

The studio needs to go through their employee roster and figure out who is there to make them money by making good entertaining films, and who is there using the studio's money to inject their own personal politics, and clean house accordingly.

If you were Billy Dee, would you be concerned that you were reprising Lando just to have him killed off?

They already did that. Rogue One is a prequel to Star Wars. Not a great movie, but definitely the best Star Wars prequel ever made!
Yep, and we didn't even mind that there was a girl in it. Though I am getting tired of "Where are the Bothans?". That was the second Death Star in RotJ, not the first one.

It would not be so bad if the the film makers just kept off of social media explaining how and where they injected their stupid politics into the movie. Oh, and if they actually tried to make a good movie.

The studio needs to go through their employee roster and figure out who is there to make them money by making good entertaining films, and who is there using the studio's money to inject their own personal politics, and clean house accordingly.

Unlikely that Disney could perform such a cleaning, even if they wanted to. Look at how they run ABC and ESPN. If a show, actor or commentator says or does something that doesn't conform to the proper party line, they are quickly gone even if said actions were on the person's own unpaid time. The Star Wars movies we are getting now ARE the type of movies Disney wants produced.

Its funny how everyone said, "Star Wars will be great now that George Lucas is not involved". -Including myself. Now we know friends....now we know. We have been judged.
Funny thing is, I never thought the franchise would get better. Things already went sickeningly cute after ep.5 and fully expected Disney to roll with it. And they did. What a surprise!

giphy.gif

I just have a hard time not going to see them. It's kind of like not being able to look away from a train wreck. They are slowly destroying my childhood.

Back