Star Wars: Battlefront Reboot

This game runs so smooth and looks amazing. It's fun and action packed. It's incredibly polished too.

Bethesda gives us buggy crap like fallout 4 and people still bitch about Battlefront?!?! Wtf are you people smoking???

i've been playing Black Ops 3 which is a stuttery mess. Battlefront by comparison looks much better (by miles) and runs incredibly smooth. i'm impressed with how polished it is.

Right? It's so annoying when people don't enjoy a game.

:rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder if this is a recent trend at hardforums. People are starting to do that game loyalty thing where they get offended when their game purchase gets criticized. It doesn't feel like it used to be that way, but lately its like people are even getting angry when you say you don't like Call of Duty. I blame the youths.

This game runs so smooth and looks amazing. It's fun and action packed. It's incredibly polished too.

Bethesda gives us buggy crap like fallout 4 and people still bitch about Battlefront?!?! Wtf are you people smoking???

Because Battlefront is as shallow as a dog dish compared to Fallout 4?

Other than being first-person they're really not even the same genre, though.

I blame the youths.

giphy.gif

The game is fun in short bursts but it feels like Titanfall. A game that will quickly become super repetitive and has about as much depth as mud puddle.

The flight mechanics are HORRIBLE. The fact that they don't even allow you full control of your ship. I mean you can't even ROLL without using a cooldown based ability.

That's like making a driving game and making cars unable to turn left without using an ability.

It's a horrible horrible design and it makes flying feel horrible to me. Like they thought people were too stupid to be able to manually roll tie fighters and crap like they should be able to, if you want to barrel roll or flip or anything you should be completely free to move how YOU want, not having the game disallow BASIC flight controls for some strange design choice.

Tie fighter came out decades ago and had better flying in it.

To be fair, Tie Fighter was a flight sim. Battlefront is an FPS/TPS with vehicles.

It doesn't matter, Crimson Skies (one of hte best "arcade" flying games) has this.

Hell almost EVERY single "arcade" flying game allows you to actually have FULL control over your movement, there is simply no good reason to not allow people to actually roll and do loops, etc.

I was in a snowspeeder and that thing is near freaking USELESS, the inability to point up/down makes it damn near useless,, especially in a dogfight, you might as well just bail out cause a tie fighter will simply own your ass.

I sometimes wonder if this is a recent trend at hardforums. People are starting to do that game loyalty thing where they get offended when their game purchase gets criticized. It doesn't feel like it used to be that way, but lately its like people are even getting angry when you say you don't like Call of Duty. I blame the youths.

Exactly.

But alas, I am stuck with it. I said I would never pre-order anything again and wait for reviews, but I pre-ordered this game based off my friend's opinions that they had from the beta. Oddly enough, they are less than impressed now that the game actually came out. We would play BC2/BF3/BF4 all night long when they came out, this game... an hour at best before everyone hangs it up.

Amazing graphics though.

Really, that is the main thing that the game gets so right. The graphics and sound effects are amazing. A lot of it is owed to photogrammetry (same technique used in the Vanishing of Ethan Carter). Where they take pictures of real-world objects (they used a lot of the original star wars movie props) and take pictures of them at all angles and then the software scans it and builds a 3d model. Since it's a real object in the world it will have such great detail that even an artist can't do (there's just not enough time to do the minute details you'd find on EVERY single object that you have to create for a game).

On top of this the performance. The game looks phenomenal yet it runs extremely well.

I wish more newer games looked as good as this game and ran as good.

I hope more and more developers start to use photogrammtry for their games, to me it seems like one of the best tools for modern games and is the next step toward "photorealistic" lol, pun intended.

Hacks just got released be mindful

It's really pathetic how some goobers will pay $15-20/mo just to cheat in an online game. If they suck so bad at a game, they should just quit and find something else to occupy their time rather than ruin other's experience. Too bad hacks aren't outlawed and pursued with as much ferocity as pirating movies and music because if they were, we'd all be better off for it. For those of you considering getting this game, grab it from places like DLgamer.us that's where I got mine for $48 vs $63 on Origin. Their verification steps are a bit annoying because they e-mail you a code and then also want to call you but the code is delivered on the spot.

Some footage of Leia, first hero i and pretty much one of the first games i actually played in battlefront to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syF7UGMj_rw

Overall impressions so far is its nothing too amazing, AMD runs bad at the start of a map but starts to normalize once everything loads properly it seems, you can notice it with the fps counter top right.

The good news is I didn't spend $74 for nothing...my 12 year old daughter loves the game! That about sums it up.

I like only squadron and hunt the hero modes. In the rest of those modes, everyone already knows the maps, and just camp the powerups, so no chance to get into a vehicle. And I want to drive AT-AT or snowspeeder.

Really, the powerups for vehicles is idiotic idea, I prefered the bases in BF1942 (the last one I played). But at least in squadron mode I'm having fun.

i bought this game the other day and gave it a good shot. The graphics were amazing and the game played ok. My gripe is the lack of content in the game. It just lacks the depth a battlefield or COD game has. If they included more maps or weapon upgrades. I had to ask Origins for a refund because I do not feel this game is worth $60. It just doesn't seem complete for that price. I really kinda feel like they withheld content just to sell you another $50 season pass and that is why i got out.

It doesn't matter, Crimson Skies (one of hte best "arcade" flying games) has this.

Hell almost EVERY single "arcade" flying game allows you to actually have FULL control over your movement, there is simply no good reason to not allow people to actually roll and do loops, etc.

I was in a snowspeeder and that thing is near freaking USELESS, the inability to point up/down makes it damn near useless,, especially in a dogfight, you might as well just bail out cause a tie fighter will simply own your ass.

you are playing a game. I have to assume that the tie fighter and snowspeader control the way they do because the developers wanted them to control that way. Perhaps they don't want the game to be dominated by air combat like the previous battlefield games - that's a very good and real reason not to make flying "better".

you are playing a game. I have to assume that the tie fighter and snowspeader control the way they do because the developers wanted them to control that way. Perhaps they don't want the game to be dominated by air combat like the previous battlefield games - that's a very good and real reason not to make flying "better".

I think its an interesting point, a friend just mentioned this at lunch though he still passed on the game. He stated one of the issues with Battlefield is the Jet commando squads that would horde the jets and control the more open maps. Are they doing right by casual fans in nerfing flight and just making it an arcadey goofiness? could be. I've given my bias opinion on it, Im more interested in realism, but I don't disagree with the idea that this effect may have been intentional.

I like only squadron and hunt the hero modes. In the rest of those modes, everyone already knows the maps, and just camp the powerups, so no chance to get into a vehicle. And I want to drive AT-AT or snowspeeder.

Really, the powerups for vehicles is idiotic idea, I prefered the bases in BF1942 (the last one I played). But at least in squadron mode I'm having fun.

Yeah the powerup idea is really stupid but I suspect they did it for consoles so there would be a reduced amount of models on the map at one time. For the PC version, DICE should have modified the game and had bigger maps, more players, squads, better spawn system and vehicles + walkers laying around at certain points that you can run and get into like Battlefield. I still play the game but less and less each day as I realize it needs a ton of work and the novelty wears off after a few days. Good thing I only paid $48 for this and not $120 like a friend of mine did.

The more I read this the happier I am I held off. The love is already fading from everyone I know who is playing it (and honestly the DLC can blow me)

Really, that is the main thing that the game gets so right. The graphics and sound effects are amazing. A lot of it is owed to photogrammetry (same technique used in the Vanishing of Ethan Carter). Where they take pictures of real-world objects (they used a lot of the original star wars movie props) and take pictures of them at all angles and then the software scans it and builds a 3d model. Since it's a real object in the world it will have such great detail that even an artist can't do (there's just not enough time to do the minute details you'd find on EVERY single object that you have to create for a game).

On top of this the performance. The game looks phenomenal yet it runs extremely well.

I wish more newer games looked as good as this game and ran as good.

I hope more and more developers start to use photogrammtry for their games, to me it seems like one of the best tools for modern games and is the next step toward "photorealistic" lol, pun intended.

Wow, ya thanks I looked it up:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/how-we-used-photogrammetry

Pretty amazing tech. No wonder both the games I think have the best graphics ever (SWBF and Vanishing of Ethan Carter) both use it.

As for game-play, not sure what people are expecting saying the game-play is shallow? You are dropped into a Star Wars universe battle, it does that exceptionally well.

Just look at Counter Strike. An extremely simple game that has a large following for 15 years now. Yes, you could say it is more skill based but it also doesn't have a tenth of the content SWBF has. I love both.

Just look at Counter Strike. An extremely simple game that has a large following for 15 years now. Yes, you could say it is more skill based but it also doesn't have a tenth of the content SWBF has. I love both.

Not even close to a correct statement.

1) 100x more skill based. Not going to go into details here but I'm still trying to master skills and I have over 1000 hours. I was top fragging in battlefront beta within an hour.

2) Content wise the same is true...I would argue the core game of counterstrike itself has more content...but you cannot argue that the private servers (surf, zombies) don't provide the potential for hundreds of more hours of unique gameplay than battlefront. So again, so far off.

Battlefront is a casual game that could grow in content to become near that of couterstrike, but will be dead within the year due to no dedicated servers, DLC division, and overall dumbed down gameplay.

Of course those of us that have a ton of experience and are really good at CounterStrike will be dominating people in SWBF. You know, all that skill acquired being fast and accurate transfers into any FPS...

Which brings up another issue. People say: the game is too easy and noob friendly that's why I get scores of 60+ to less than ten deaths, or whatever ratio per round.

They fail to realize that if the game was super easy noob mode, the scores and K/D ratio differences of most players would be narrower, not wider. Pretty basic stuff here.

Of course those of us that have a ton of experience and are really good at CounterStrike will be dominating people in SWBF. You know, all that skill acquired being fast and accurate transfers into any FPS...

Which brings up another issue. People say: the game is too easy and noob friendly that's why I get scores of 60+ to less than ten deaths, or whatever ratio per round.

They fail to realize that if the game was super easy noob mode, the scores and K/D ratio differences of most players would be narrower, not wider. Pretty basic stuff here.

A FPS is not a FPS is not a FPS. My skills from counterstrike help for sure, but when I did my first battlefield I was not immediately dominant despite thousands of hours in counterstrike source. Even COD MW3 (my first COD) took me at least 10 hours to start reliably being a good player.

Battlefront was EZ mode in minutes. No accuracy bonus for running around like a retarded squirrel, etc. I would say the mastery of learning a counterstrike strafe/counterstrafe/fire is more mastery than required in all of this game.

I've been gaming since Doom and Heretic, I find this game very entertaining.

Just hit the 24 hour mark, doing about the same as I did in the beta...

Does get frustrating on some maps that are unbalanced, but you learn to play through it and how to not die over and over again.

Add SHiZNiLTi_OG if you want someone to spawn on that knows how to PTFO.

My favorite modes are Supremacy, Drop Zone and Cargo. Walker Assault is ok, but it's terrible being on the shit team.

Full Release Stats:
Y2FMGMu.png

Beta Stats:
I9CeyJn.png

Last edited:

It's very easy. My 6 six year old son is getting in the top 5 nearly half of the rounds in Supremecy.

Lol your son is a badass gamer then, cuz I've seen some of my "professional" gamer friends that have 5.5 kdr and higher in bf4 struggle to do good in this game. It's not as easy as you make it out to be by saying ur 6yr old can make it in the top 5 every round sounds a little far fetched to me lol. I honestly have to focus much more in this game then bf4 to do just as good. It also comes down to luck of the draw if u get a hero or not. Even then you have to play very smart to stay up with the hero.

Anyone know why AMD gaming evolved app (raptr) would stop capturing footage?

It worked fine up until the 18th ect haven't played in a couple days now it wont show the overlay or capture any footage. still works fine in other games tho.

Anyone been playing solo survivor on master skill level? That shit ain't no joke. ;)

No built-in voice chat? No sale for me. I don't voice chat "that often".

But if i can't call out basic objective stuff, like someone sneaking in a back door, or they dropped the flag at such and such location thats frigging ridiculous. It's an FPS game in 2015 W T F.

I do NOT care about random racial slurs and moronic 12 year olds, that is what a perma-mute option is for. It's like a mini-game for me. As long as i don't have to re-mute them.

I might buy it when its $39 with season pass, or if they improve it enough to be worth my money

PZbZmXal.jpg

Easiest match I've played yet.

I exploited a huge weakness in the fighter spawns. Unlike Battlefield where you spawn in a plane or helis on the ground and the take off, Battlefront has only one spawn location in the air.

Well, if you stay where the enemy air fighters spawn, they cant see you and you can kill them within a second or two.
It's messed up, they need to fix it.

Another exploit on the squadron battles, if you are on rebel side you can just pop your shield and ram things, you can pop it in an A-wing to do considerable damage to the Slave 1 and still be alive, or if you are in the Falcon you can pop the shield and slam into the Slave 1 and insta kill the Slave 1 and not take a scratch your self.

The servers from what i can tell seem to be doing well. I haven't gotten into a game yet that wasn't full or near full.

It's very easy. My 6 six year old son is getting in the top 5 nearly half of the rounds in Supremecy.

This doesn't mean the game is easy - it means that 75% of people are worse than your six year old.

Maybe most of the player base is 5 and they are sick of getting p0wned by people who had been alive 20% longer than them. How are they supposed to compete with somebody who can dedicate that much time to a game?

Back