Star Wars: Battlefront Reboot

the Hoth map looks simply stunning...I've never seen anything like it...it's gaming nirvana...the Holy Grail of graphics...I'll buy this game for the graphics alone...use it as my reference game demo just like I have specific Blu-ray's I like to show off for reference video/audio

Graphics hardly differ from BF4. Still looks good, but not so ground breaking like BF3 was some years back.

Basically looks like a more polished version of what they had in Alpha. Mini-map is still a fucking disgrace. I wish the guns did more damage. I'm no expert, but I shouldn't be able to shoot at guy 20 times with a laser?

Maybe I'm easy to please, but I still think it's fun though.

Does the starting weapon just really REALLY suck or is it just me? I can put about 4-5 hits into someone and it does nothing but i constnatly get 1-2 hit by most people, so annoying.

the DLT-19 is my favorite blaster...and yeah the hit detection seems off at times as the enemy can sometimes absorb a crazy amount of damage while killing me with 1-2 shots with a weaker weapon

The escape pod mode feels pretty lame...so far every match has just devolved into spamming thermal detonators over and over.

FWIW if that 8GB of RAM is scaring away anyone who has an older rig like mine (see sig) that has 4GB of RAM the Beta runs just fine for me.

the controls for the air vehicles in Hoth are really weird...hard to maintain control and fire at enemies because it requires so many keys to be pressed

Does anyone else feel the maps are tiny....the maps just seem very repetitive.
wannabeapilot I had the same issue try re installing origin. If that doesn't work you need to clean up sum of the registry. It worked for me

Haha, i won the game for us rebels. I was able to tie up the ATATs legs with the fighter, that was bad ass!

Graphics hardly differ from BF4. Still looks good, but not so ground breaking like BF3 was some years back.

The graphics are definitely above BF4. Takes more GPU power to run the same FPS in SWBF than BF4, both maxed out.

Walking up to an AT-AT Walker on the move for the first time my jaw dropped. Shortly after pre-ordered.

one thing's for certain...Battlefront will be more popular then Hardline...the casual nature of the game appeals more to console players so I'm wondering how it'll fare on PC for the long term

I feel like the graphics are friggin amazing, and somehow this runs better than BF4. Doesn't make any sense to me....

But....yeah.... I dunno how long this game will have packed servers. Then again the movie isnt even out yet.

I literally have an entire room filled with star wars shit from when I was little in storage. So, it isnt like I am not a fan.

If I was still a kid and this came out. OMGGG

the lighting is what makes everything else shine...the way the light reflects off the snow or on the rocks is amazing...the snow trenches look so realistic...this isn't even DX12...I wasn't even completing the objectives my first 6-8 times on the maps, I was just taking in all the gorgeous visuals

FWIW im running a 780, 4670k and 8gb of ram... game maxxed out i dont drop below 60 fps @ 1080p

I played the survival crap. Seems like fun. Was getting what seemed like about 100 or so fps at 1440P w/ SLi.

Took the plunge.
The matchmaking is retarded. Twice, my team emptied with the other team full. 1 vs 8, twice.
The lag is all over the place, or there is invisible rocks everywhere because I keep "bumping" into "stuff".
Why can't I see my ping anywhere? Is there a console cmd for a netgraph or something?
The Hoth battle was impressive, but stupid. I had 7 kills, and 29 deaths. I was 1st place. 1st. WTF? We definitely had over 150 deaths for our team. Hoth is endless attrition, with the occasional Darth Vader 1 shoting everyone. It's not fun playing rebel, and the flying is classic retarded battlefield controls again. I echo what everyone is saying about the guns. Just weak...

Graphics are incredible. Photogrammetry is an amazing technique and I hope it's the future of video games.
I'm quite impressed.

This game is on my wait-and-see list. Matchmaking sucks and those guns... Plus, give me some balance. Being a rebel really really sucks right now.

--The matchmaking is retarded. Twice, my team emptied with the other team full. 1 vs 8, twice.
every game has retarded matchmaking
--The lag is all over the place, or there is invisible rocks everywhere because I keep "bumping" into "stuff".
weird, im lvl 10 6 now with quite a few games and havent experienced any lag at all
--Why can't I see my ping anywhere? Is there a console cmd for a netgraph or something?
good question, i dont know
-The Hoth battle was impressive, but stupid. I had 7 kills, and 29 deaths. I was 1st place.
there's objectives you can do you contribute to the team
-1st. WTF? We definitely had over 150 deaths for our team.
eh?
-Hoth is endless attrition, with the occasional Darth Vader 1 shoting everyone. It's not fun playing rebel
But the rebels also have luke, and i enjoy rebels more.

--The matchmaking is retarded. Twice, my team emptied with the other team full. 1 vs 8, twice.
every game has retarded matchmaking
--The lag is all over the place, or there is invisible rocks everywhere because I keep "bumping" into "stuff".
weird, im lvl 10 6 now with quite a few games and havent experienced any lag at all
--Why can't I see my ping anywhere? Is there a console cmd for a netgraph or something?
good question, i dont know
-The Hoth battle was impressive, but stupid. I had 7 kills, and 29 deaths. I was 1st place.
there's objectives you can do you contribute to the team
-1st. WTF? We definitely had over 150 deaths for our team.
eh?
-Hoth is endless attrition, with the occasional Darth Vader 1 shoting everyone. It's not fun playing rebel
But the rebels also have luke, and i enjoy rebels more.

What do you mean "eh?" if first place has 29 deaths, what do you think the other 19 players on my team add up to? AT-ST is too OP and completely decimate the rebels.

And DUH, there's objectives. How do you think I got first place? :rolleyes:

Yeah, of the 15-20 rounds I've played so far, rebels have won like 3 times, lol

First of all, do not let the beta label fool you. The game in it's current state is what's going to ship other than balance tweaks and them addressing a few weird bugs that they will probably uncover during this process.

The look and feel is here to stay. With that said, the maps are definitely smaller as many people have noted.

I tried the game a 2nd time this evening and while the sound efx and graphics are good, they game doesn't have much reply value. I literally got tired of running around and shooting and getting shot after about 10 minutes.

I think this is exactly what they wanted to make at the end of a day, a nice looking, casual friendly game where you could log in and get your arcade fix.

I would absolutely not buy this game now, later or ever. $68 to $70 with tax is a lot of money for a casual arcade game. While some HardOCP'ers might buy the game for the graphics, from my own experience and what I am reading here on the formus, I don't see this game being a purchase.

It's ok, they are allowed to make a casual arcade shooter if they want. I am sure the movie will be a better experience.

graphics nice enough?...you must be playing at 720p...the graphics are excellent...yes it has some low-res textures in places but overall it's photo-realistic in many places...the 'photogrammetry' DICE used to collect data for each material in the game really shows...the lighting and particle effects are stunning...performance never seems to dip under 60 fps with my 970 at 1920 x 1200 and everything at Ultra...as far as sound design, DICE always nails the audio and they nailed the unique sounds of the Star Wars universe

No, 1080P....I don't find it photo realistic apart from the occasional rock that I don't really notice because I am actually playing rather than admiring individual textures. There is nothing in terms cool realistic particle or physics effects I am seeing that expands immersiveness or sets this game apart from Crysis 3 or BF3/4. My personal opinion, feel free to disagree.

I really hate to use the word fanboy but I will say this, some guys here are taking it personal that the majority of the reviews here are negative. What I would say to that is, just be you. If you enjoy the sound and the graphics, or whatever it is that you like about Star Wars, then I think that's great.

What I don't think anyone should do is try and argue and or change the opinions of others cause they don't like what you like.

At at the of the day, this is a fantastic arcade shooter with great graphics and sound EFX. If you are into that, then this is probably the arcade fix you've been looking for.

I really hate to use the word fanboy but I will say this, some guys here are taking it personal that the majority of the reviews here are negative. What I would say to that is, just be you. If you enjoy the sound and the graphics, or whatever it is that you like about Star Wars, then I think that's great.

What I don't think anyone should do is try and argue and or change the opinions of others cause they don't like what you like.

At at the of the day, this is a fantastic arcade shooter with great graphics and sound EFX. If you are into that, then this is probably the arcade fix you've been looking for.
Yeah, it does what it aims to do really well. This isn't a hardcore game. If you are looking for something super competitive and e-sports like; this isn't it. Not every game needs to be like that though. The game looks very good, runs very good, sounds very good and completely captures Star Wars. I think this game will be very popular and for good reason. Jedi academy and jedi outcast had people playing it forever because it was the only thing star wars in the action multiplayer sense.

In general the game is pretty much what you expect it to be. Take DICE/Battlefield and add Star Wars aesthetics, and make it more "arcadey" (although a lot of people seem to really understate how arcadey Battlefield itself is) due to the broader/mainstream target and the subject matter (eg. is a military simulator for a science fantasy property really what the fan base would want?)

DICE did get the game right in terms of visual and audio design. You do feel like you are in the Star Wars film universe. But the "optimization" is being rather overstated. Really the game is scaled down in scope compared to Battlefield 4 so of course it is going to run better.

First of all, do not let the beta label fool you. The game in it's current state is what's going to ship other than balance tweaks and them addressing a few weird bugs that they will probably uncover during this process.

The look and feel is here to stay. With that said, the maps are definitely smaller as many people have noted.

I tried the game a 2nd time this evening and while the sound efx and graphics are good, they game doesn't have much reply value. I literally got tired of running around and shooting and getting shot after about 10 minutes.

I think this is exactly what they wanted to make at the end of a day, a nice looking, casual friendly game where you could log in and get your arcade fix.

I would absolutely not buy this game now, later or ever. $68 to $70 with tax is a lot of money for a casual arcade game. While some HardOCP'ers might buy the game for the graphics, from my own experience and what I am reading here on the formus, I don't see this game being a purchase.

It's ok, they are allowed to make a casual arcade shooter if they want. I am sure the movie will be a better experience.

Maybe, just maybe, you all are just bored of Online First Person Shooters?

What did you all expect from this game?
That it introduces a new experience to the online FPS world?
So many fps games have come and gone that the element of surprise is no more(Atleast for us Vet players)
That OOOOH and AWE feeling you guys seem to want, just isn't there anymore, why? Because you guys expect too much and don't enjoy the little things. I'm not ridiculing anyone, because I'm in the same boat as far as expectations I have, for what entertains me.
When was the last time a First Person Shooter gave any of you that amazing feeling, that feeling that you are playing something truly special?

AAA title expectations rise every year, beyond what most developers can produce. This is unfortunate, but good at the same time. In the end it's only a game, not some Total Recall escape, but a mere 30 minutes to a couple hours of entertainment.
There is no First Person Shooter that gives you everything you want, and more. It just doesnt happen anymore. Why? Because casual sells, and advanced doesn't.
Why give the smaller market a more advanced product only, when you can draw a bigger audience and allow a game for everyone to enjoy?

EAs Battlefront is indeed simple, easy to pickup and progress, yet still holds true to what the first two in the series felt, which is act as close to what a real Star Wars land battle, would feel like.

No other Star Wars game out right now, can match or come close in terms of what a Sci Fi realistic Star Wars battle feels like. For this, is what makes Battlefront special. Who cares that it's casual? Why would anyone in the world think it would be anything else BUT casual? It makes no sense. And I say that because the first two Battlefronts were all about being casual. The ease of spraying and praying enemies, the easy to maneuver flying and vehicle use, the cliche arcade battles of Hoth, and so many other locations from Star Wars itself. But that's what this game is all about. A Star Wars infantry based Online, Co-Op or single player video game.

Of the 12 maps that will be available(at release) for just the ONE main mode we are allowed to play(Assault) on the beta, I find it almost impossible to judge what the rest of the maps will be like.

The maps aren't THAT small. The scale of Hoths map is as big as all Call of Dutys maps combined(joke).

Let's not mention the various other game modes that we can't even touch either. This game will be a gem and it will score great reviews, because it doesn't need to feel advanced, or in depth with your favorite RPGS or complex like whatever high standards you had hoped for. It will sell well, and continue to be popular because of one thing, it looks and feels like what a Star Wars Multiplayer game should be.

Last edited:
Remember this only goes to level 5 right now. I took me about an hour to max level. The full game will have more everything.

So if the gameplay isn't for you, that likely won't change much. I do suggest you play for at least until you get the jet pack. :) Also try to use the stationary turrets if possible. A lot of people neglect them for god knows what reason.

Items/maps/ect. will expand.

This game is a blast to play with your kids.

Oh and a tip for Vader/Luke, right mouse button is block. They don't automatically block blasters. I was gunned down pretty quick my first time with Lord Vader.... I prefer Luke since he's faster. I got him at the last part of Hoth with the trenches and it was a blast.

I do like that skill matters. A few games I was #1 on Hoth. Flanking is fun.

Last edited:
Why can't I see my ping anywhere? Is there a console cmd for a netgraph or something?

I think that's probably best...once people see the numbers they'll find a way to get false-outraged...right now the matchmaking feels good so no one can complain but as soon as they get numbers to back up their perceived outrage over the lack of dedicated server browser etc then they'll start to rant (even if the game feels fine)

Not into this as I have zero interest in a reskin of Battlefield, but my question is how are the hackers? BF3/4 had a ridiculous amount of hackers.,

Not into this as I have zero interest in a reskin of Battlefield, but my question is how are the hackers? BF3/4 had a ridiculous amount of hackers.,

I played the earlier beta, and while i actually didn't like the game all that much it really isn't a reskin, it plays totally differently.

Sounds like they made this game too much like the movie they should of warped it off added some RPG elements for depth.

I think that's probably best...once people see the numbers they'll find a way to get false-outraged...right now the matchmaking feels good so no one can complain but as soon as they get numbers to back up their perceived outrage over the lack of dedicated server browser etc then they'll start to rant (even if the game feels fine)

That really is a nonsense reason to exclude a very basic feature for all MP games. We all know very well that DICE's interpolation does a pretty good job of covering up the shit netcode and the fact that the matchmaking is probably routing us to slow servers on the other side of the country.

Sounds like they made this game too much like the movie they should of warped it off added some RPG elements for depth.
Which had nothing to do with the first two. There was no in depth RPG element with the Battelfront series, at all.

Back