Star Wars Battlefront 2 Campaign is About 5-7 Hours Long

monkeymagick

[H]News
PC Gamer is reporting the single-player campaign for Star Wars: Battlefront 2 will have a playtime between 5-7 hours, maybe even 8 hours says producer David Robillard. Although short, Robillard suggests that shorter campaigns "can be effective and memorable if they're done well." The producer suggests that story-based DLC can be in the works depending on how receptive the players are to the campaign.

"We thought that around 5-7, maybe 8 hours is probably a good amount of time," producer David Robillard told Press Start. "We wanted to stay very driven towards the Star Wars fantasy that the players are going to experience and not have it be drawn out."

So it will have a single player campaign? That's news for me. Did Battlefront 1 have one too?

I'd pay 30-40 for a good 8 hour campaign.

Don't remember beating a game in one sitting except old nes games. It seems short but these days that might work for me as I'm always working. Not sure about 60 bones though as that's more expensive than a movie at 10$ an hour.

Don't remember beating a game in one sitting except old nes games. It seems short but these days that might work for me as I'm always working. Not sure about 60 bones though as that's more expensive than a movie at 10$ an hour.

Sure, but let's continue the math and input the total entertainment experience. $5/hr x 7hrs = $35 (derived from 2hr movie), nobody talking or someone else's phone ringing during entertainment, no driving, crowds or etc of a movie, you could pause the game and pick it up later, you could play the SP one more time as you could have missed something or found it entertaining enough to do it again (movie theatre will laugh at you for asking) and then (this is a big one), you can resell the game (possibly pending how you purchased) and get some money back, try that with a movie theatre.

Looks like a $5 game if all you want is the SP campaign.

Harsh indeed, I'd like to hear where you're getting your entertainment equivalent at <$1/hr to come up with that value. Granted, I'm not adding the cost of your rig, console or the power to run it.

Last edited:
Battlefront is the only game I ever paid $14.99 for complete with all DLC, and still felt completely ripped off. Is it because out of 30 guns, every one is the same? Is it because, as the rebels, I always felt like I was fighting in an army of bus drivers and food-service workers with zero cool factor and the worlds worst uniforms? Is it because the first map I played was "SECURE THE ROCKY CANYON!" and then the next map was "SECURE THE SNOW-COVERED PEAK" and the next one was "SECURE THE LEFTOVER TITANFALL FACILITY"? I think, perhaps, all of the above. Oh Look, that guy has a Space Shotgun....<searches for rope to hang self>.

Looks like a $5 game if all you want is the SP campaign.

Good luck convincing the 830+ employees (not even including the CEO's) of EA Dice, Criterion Games, and Motive Studios that. See how far you get arguing that before you get triangle choked.

Harsh indeed, I'd like to hear where you're getting your entertainment equivalent at <$1/hr to come up with that value. Granted, I'm not adding the cost of your rig, console or the power to run it.
Most of these games where MP is the main focus usually means the SP campaign never gets fully developed, has a half-assed story, and feels like a clone of previous games in the series.

As for the value argument, $5 seems fair if it's another rinse/repeat à la CoD. I'd pay more if it doesn't follow the same shit we've seen over and over.

So average time for the singleplayer campaign. I really wish these companies would sell only the singleplayer campaign, cause I don't want the multiplayer.

True. It might be worth $20 or $30 if it has a good story and not too many fetch quests. I'll wait for the reviews.

Yep that's about the price I'd consider acceptable.

Some MP-focused games have also had pretty decent SP campaigns, so I'll also reserve judgement. :)

Battlefront is the only game I ever paid $14.99 for complete with all DLC, and still felt completely ripped off. Is it because out of 30 guns, every one is the same? Is it because, as the rebels, I always felt like I was fighting in an army of bus drivers and food-service workers with zero cool factor and the worlds worst uniforms? Is it because the first map I played was "SECURE THE ROCKY CANYON!" and then the next map was "SECURE THE SNOW-COVERED PEAK" and the next one was "SECURE THE LEFTOVER TITANFALL FACILITY"? I think, perhaps, all of the above. Oh Look, that guy has a Space Shotgun....<searches for rope to hang self>.

You mean out of the 30 guns you only have access to 2-3 before you have to grind to "unlock" the rest.... I was so hyped for Battlefront and pre ordered..... never again. I'll wait for the fire sale with all DLC included, then grind to unlock the remaining weapons.

Was planning on getting it within the first week, now I'll wait for it to drop in price. I don't care about MP

I picked up the original Battlefront a few years ago. Clearly a MP game, but could be played single player with a bunch of bots. The AI wasn't incredibly stupid, so it was enjoyable. The "Campaign" mode was simply progressing through the MP maps "in order" of the story. 5-8 hours to finish was about right, and I have replayed it several times. No story, but quick fun. Maybe this is going to be similar?

You mean out of the 30 guns you only have access to 2-3 before you have to grind to "unlock" the rest.... I was so hyped for Battlefront and pre ordered..... never again. I'll wait for the fire sale with all DLC included, then grind to unlock the remaining weapons.

Right, its basically you unlock 30 different firing rates for the same laser gun. I'm kind of over the cartoonified non-violence of the Star Wars universe, almost as much as I am over it's really lame-assed locations. To be honest, the best star wars games were the early XWing and TieFighter sims (having to manually balance your shields, manage your power consumption) and then later the Jedi Outcast games (where you could use the crappy guns or just go full Samurai on them, lopping off arms and heads). But the most fun I ever had with a Star Wars game is still Force Unleashed. Other than the flaws of it being an early third-person game (so its a little wooden by modern standards), it did everything that I ever wanted those jedi games to do: Let you have a way to wreak absolute havoc as a force-infused badass. Should I blow these 10 guys away, choke one and saber him then toss his body through a widow and suck the rest of them out into space, should I lightning-charge this droid and use it like a grenade...or lightnighting-charge that guys corpse and achieve the same thing...or just speed-fly into that pile of troopers and slice them to shreds. Hmmmm. basically a Star Wars murder simulator. ♥♥♥

That's a game :)

This "everyone rush to the location and trade laser blasts until you crumple" stuff.....I just can't get there. Now, if you had to fly in a vehicle on a massive map in order to get to the combat, then decide if you wanted to go on foot or try to use the vehicle (sort of like what made Battlefield 2 so ridiculously popular on the PC back in the day, spawn on that aircraft carrier and you had to wait a few for a vehicle to appear, jump in and give people a ride to the battle, etc)...that was fun. These new games are so comically limited, and yet the marketing just keeps going through the roof.....for what, these crappy simple games where the only thrill is in the form of unlocking new stuff to do the exact same thing on the exact same maps? If it was all open world, where you needed the vehicles and the ground-combat at the same time, if people had to find vehicles to fight a space battle while they were engaged in ground combat...yeah, that's called progress, I'd give that a shot. But no...we get a reskin of a game that came out a decade+ ago, and then they hide half of the stuff that came with the original behind $15 DLC bundles. Meh.

5 to 7 hours? That's par for the course these days sadly. Discouraging as the main driver for me picking up BF2 is the SP campaign.

5 - 7 is a little short. But keep in mind that even the old games didn't 'really' last too long. I'm sure that this doesn't include taking it easy, rushing through it, completing all the tasks, searching all the hidden areas, trying to beat the game on it's hardest setting, etc...

How long of a game time would you consider your favorite old games? I remember playing Sonic through sunday mornings. Super mario world was about the same. So 7 hours is a pretty decent time span. I can go through the latter about 6 hours.

A six to eight hour single player experience is 100% a ok with me if they remove all the filler levels and just have good story and memorable level design.

I love the star fighting in this game. I played the beta and it’s a definate preorder for me.

I’ll have fun in the single player story and then play several dozen hours of multiplayer too. In the original Battlefront from 2 years back I played about 70 hours and enjoyed it. That’s less than $1 an hour.

This game seems superior in every way. I’m looking forward to it.

Also Dolby Atmos sound which is amazing, and great multi monitor support!
(No bezel correction in photos - because it is a broken function on my Vega cards right now)
2CB0C5BC-96DF-40AD-9619-5600407A18A3.jpeg
6745F1F5-F14B-45F6-AE92-696078995B13.jpeg
B5F69111-E808-4578-A447-53330F7B5993.jpeg
DC4F5553-7519-485A-95FB-038E09DE178D.jpeg

Attachments

• B2462CCB-4756-4015-B8C5-CB73D52DF01D.jpeg
    B2462CCB-4756-4015-B8C5-CB73D52DF01D.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
5 to 7 hours? That's par for the course these days sadly. Discouraging as the main driver for me picking up BF2 is the SP campaign.
I am OK with shorter for $15-20. I might be willing to pay more if it is open to modding, has multiplayer that is not dependent on servers that will be shut down in 3 years, and has the option to play against bots. The new game actually reminded me to play the original SW:Battlefront 2, which I can still play without issue and get close to the same experience as I would have 12 years ago.

Sure, but let's continue the math and input the total entertainment experience. $5/hr x 7hrs = $35 (derived from 2hr movie), nobody talking or someone else's phone ringing during entertainment, no driving, crowds or etc of a movie, you could pause the game and pick it up later, you could play the SP one more time as you could have missed something or found it entertaining enough to do it again (movie theatre will laugh at you for asking) and then (this is a big one), you can resell the game (possibly pending how you purchased) and get some money back, try that with a movie theatre.

Ok I'll bite. Final Fantasy. To complete the story with only a reasonable amount of diversions you are talking 40 hours on average. To complete absolutely everything you are talking more 80-100+ hours depending on which one. I'm with him, I will NEVER buy a game with sub 10 hours of game play for more than $10. Now that said something like BF is really more about the MP than the SP anyhow and almost anyone buying that game knows that. However the example was strictly from a SP POV which makes BF a terrible buy for any player who doesn't want MP. So the real answer here is if all you want is the SP, games like this are to be avoided. This is where Destiny does a way better job as it offers enough content that it justifies its price for SP only and is even better if you like both SP and MP. Also before anyone jumps on the hate Destiny bandwagon, I'm strictly talking about the entertainment/hr value not the extremely subjective of did you personally like the game.

It's better than 30+ hours for a game you'll never finish because something else will catch your attention before you get to the end. The Battlefield 1 "campaign" was maybe 10 hours long an broken into stories that ran about 2 hours a piece. Two of those stories were extremely memorable and would have been less so if they had tried to drag them out needlessly just to pad the run time.

I have no time anymore for epic length games. I'm glad they exist but I'll never get around to them. Short bursts of MP or "open world" gaming or short, concise campaigns are where my gaming time lives now.

It's better than 30+ hours for a game you'll never finish because something else will catch your attention before you get to the end. The Battlefield 1 "campaign" was maybe 10 hours long an broken into stories that ran about 2 hours a piece. Two of those stories were extremely memorable and would have been less so if they had tried to drag them out needlessly just to pad the run time.

I have no time anymore for epic length games. I'm glad they exist but I'll never get around to them. Short bursts of MP or "open world" gaming or short, concise campaigns are where my gaming time lives now.

Hate to say I agree, but that’s where I’m stuck too :( So 6-8 hours is about perfect, you can finish it in a sitting or three and then still play MP whenever you want. I’m a little concerned with the loot crate thing...bah whatever I can’t even seriously get mad about it, who cares I get smoked in every game I compete in anyway haha.

So a 5 hour campaign and then a multi player mode where I can't be in the same squad with my friend. Pass.

Interesting that it's coming out with that low of play time. Last I saw it would take a long time of investment to complete. Guess that was false news and hopeful wishing. LOL At least it has a SP campaign. Much better then the first. Although new news is showing EA to be switching to micro transactions since all the sheep out there keep this type of crap going. I for one wish the old times came back. One price one game and your done.

I'll wait and see if it hits EA Access, and pay the $5 to play the SP campaign. Like I did for BF1.

producer David Robillard ... Although short, Robillard suggests that shorter campaigns "can be effective and memorable if they're done well."
what else did you expect him to say, "Hey, SP is 5 hours short so if you don't play MP it's a waste of hard earned cash." ???

So it will have a single player campaign? That's news for me. Did Battlefront 1 have one too?

I'd pay 30-40 for a good 8 hour campaign.

No, there was backlash for the first one not having a campaign, so they included one this time.

I'll take quality over quantity any day, and EA should be able to deliver both. Personally I feel that a 10 to 16 hour campaign is perfect. Considering what EA is charging, there should be too much content, not too little, that's why I skipped BF1.

In the beta you get dumped with randos on every death... Did they fix this?

No you could join a squad in the beta. I'll admit, it wasn't intuitive at all though. You had to use the F1 + Shift overlay of the Orgin client to do so in the beta.

You could have custom squads in the original Battlefront of a couple years ago, and you'll be able to in Battlefront II, just as you could in the II beta.

Back