Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2017)

Is it a grind or is it fun???

I don't feel like it's that much of a grind. Don't get me wrong, it is, but the game play is solid. It's entertaining and enjoyable. It may not please fans who want something a little closer to Battlefield, but it's a solid game as far as I'm concerned. The microtransactions were the biggest problem with the game as far as I was concerned. They overshadowed what is in every way an improvement over the 2015 installment.

Is it a grind or is it fun???
I played for a couple hours in multiplayer and got my ass owned most of the time and I'm usually good at shooters. weapons are strong and it doesnt take many hits to kill someone unless they have a shield or something up. also the movement speed feels slower in-game than the videos I've watched. I like both of these things. but I think my issue is the map design is a cluster fuck. meaning I get killed from every direction and if I shoot at someone I usually get shot from behind. theres no safe area to camp in or get in a groove like battlefield 1 for example. the game feels like spawn, get a kill or two, die, repeat. with nothing going on in between. no reviving, no getting ammo.

I have to play more cause I did 2 out of the 4 or 5 modes.

Last edited:
http://evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249905

It appears the decision to temporarily remove microtransactions from Star Wars Battlefront 2 was due to pressure from Disney.

Reports from various sources state EA’s temporary removal of purchasable Crystals in Star Wars Sattlefront 2 was made after a phone call from Disney, which owns the Star Wars franchise.

EA removed the option to purchase in-game Crystals ahead of the game’s launch yesterday. These Crystals are obtained using real money and packs of Crystals start at $5 for 500 and up to $100 for 12,000 Crystals.

According to a source speaking with the Wall Street Journal, Disney was less than pleased over the online backlash and bad press Star Wars Battlefront 2 was receiving over the microtransactions, not to mention the convoluted rewards system.

This didn’t sit well with Disney CEO Robert Iger, according to the WSJ, and resulted in Disney’s head of consumer products and interactive media, Jimmy Pitaro, to contact EA.

A source speaking with VentureBeat stated Pitaro gave EA CEO Andrew Wilson a ring, resulting in microtransactions being temorarily suspended until the system could be revamped.

Another source, speaking with MP1st, corroborated the report. The site reached out to EA for comment, and was told the company wouldn’t provide comment on the matter.

Tip for those having a tough time in multiplayer - try playing in 3rd-person only. I'm a first-person kind of guy, but going to 3rd person provides a tremendous advantage in this game. Considering it is much dumbed down combat from Battlefield 1, no destructible environments, and you spend a lot of time hiding behind corners that you can look out from safely using 3rd-person view.

I really hope in the future there will be First-Person-only servers, but for now it seems I must roll in 3rd to stay competitive.

Probably a silly question, but trying to play single player and the very first scene I am supposed to shock my captor. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to shock him, I have hit every damn button and still no shock.

Any ides?

It’s not THAT BAD, actually. I have been a victim of Star Wars merchandizing since 1983, so I fail to see why I shouldn’t just bend over and take it now.

Full disclosure, I borrowed my wife’s stuffed Porg to copilot on the couch. The stuffed Porg on balance is more entertaining than this game. But I have a 1080ti that needs to be fed. Of course, my expectations were so incredibly low because of the bad press that the game impressed just by loading up without causing me to projectile vommit on launch.

The progression system could use some speeding up. The game isn’t good enough to command as much of my time the progression system demands. Hopefully that gets tweeked.

There is some fun to be had if you want some star wars lovin before seeing the next film. The biggest problem is that there are probably games out more worthy of your money. (Wolfenstein?)

I say pass unless you have a Star Wars itch you want to scratch. If you do, this will do it.

I'm really hating this game. its just spawn, get a kill or two, and die. all within 60 seconds. and the only way to spawn with your friends is if you both die at the same time. we could be in different servers it really doesn't make a difference theres no team work to be done. I'm already tired of it about 4 hours of gameplay. I'm hoping I get my moneys worth with the dog fight mode and single player.

I'm really hating this game. its just spawn, get a kill or two, and die. all within 60 seconds. and the only way to spawn with your friends is if you both die at the same time. we could be in different servers it really doesn't make a difference theres no team work to be done. I'm already tired of it about 4 hours of gameplay. I'm hoping I get my moneys worth with the dog fight mode and single player.

I think they said they were gonna change the squad sys

Anyone up for some screen shot comparisons of the 1st game and this one?

I recall the beta looking very underwhelming and the reddit thread really highlighted some of the differences. Wondering if they polished it up for the release version.

The dogfighting/star fighter assault is really fun. Even the pre-quel starfighter content is good.

There was an open beta. You could have just tried the game yourself. Instead you let other peoples opinions ( reviewers ) tell you not to buy this game? Oh my..

To be fair, its the reviews that told me about the features of the fully released games, or lack thereof, that turned me off the game. All the beta would have done was caused me to drool at the graphics, yeah? which is the point of those anyway, to drive sales. Cmon man!

I have historically loved DICE and Star Wars over the years (and I'm old enough to see the first movie in the theaters), and I don't typically pile on the EA hate train unless they truly deserve it... but at this stage I am so sick of that Publisher I think they need to be removed from the business for video games to be able to grow again. They have single-handedly destroyed nearly ever Developer and Franchise I have loved. With their current push to make everything MP with SP only being tacked on begrudgingly, and to make everything monetized, I'm just done with them. I hope DICE gets out from under them before they go the way of Visceral and countless others. They simply do not understand the core industry, or care... for anyone or anything but their pocketbook.

My kids have it, so I played it on their computer. All day Sunday. I now own it. It's a great game. The biggest downside, which EA has temporarily back peddled on, were the microtransactions. I am fine unlocking certain things (some things are a bit too out there, and the limits suck). The game itself is pretty damn fun.

Music and audio is great. Visuals are excellent. Level design, as mentioned above - you're always in danger. There isn't a place to hide and camp or whatever. Gameplay is alright. It's a fun Star Wars game.

DICE did well, EA tried to destroy it. Like with their other developers (Maxis comes to mind...).

Is this game fun or what??? The reviews are tainted because they did change the unlock system. Is this game fun or a miserable grind? I can’t even tell with everyone just not buying it as a matter of principle.

Has anyone actually played it and is it fun ?

I will say this I don’t know what in God’s holy name cause them to include content from the prequels.

I've only played a few of the modes but they have all been fun. I would have liked larger maps though.

Probably a silly question, but trying to play single player and the very first scene I am supposed to shock my captor. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to shock him, I have hit every damn button and still no shock.

Any ides?
I think mouse 3? lol

If you enjoy the game and have plenty of time on your hand, the grind isnt too bad imo.

I think the grind sucks and I've played this game far less than I imagined I would.

I have been playing mainly single player and the arcade.

It seems okay for a starwars game. Though I am not sure what it is but playing 3rd person the characters seem off. Their movment seems wrong and not fluid enough. Seems like I notice it the most playing as luke. Vader seems fine since he is so slow.

AI in single player is worse then destiny. They just walk straight into your bullets like they want to die asap.

Starfighter has potental but it doent feel as good to pilot as say eve valkyrie on the rift. Ships feel too floaty at times.

so far ignoring anything lootbox related I would call this a solid 5/10 game with the little multiplayer I have experianced.

Thanks for the replies, I will try again. I tried all numbers, and function keys too. I will try to reset some things and give it another go.

Main problem I have with this game is it feels choppy in FPS combat, i'm on a 2500k @4.4ghz, GTX 970 @1500 core .1.8ghz memory and 16gb of 1600mhz DDR3 memory. Frame rate doesn't look bad 80+ mostly but it feels laggy. Anyone else having any performance issues?

I'm playing at default high settings

Tip for those having a tough time in multiplayer - try playing in 3rd-person only. I'm a first-person kind of guy, but going to 3rd person provides a tremendous advantage in this game. Considering it is much dumbed down combat from Battlefield 1, no destructible environments, and you spend a lot of time hiding behind corners that you can look out from safely using 3rd-person view.

I really hope in the future there will be First-Person-only servers, but for now it seems I must roll in 3rd to stay competitive.
You can also raise the FOV in the control panel. The default FOV is set for consoles and is horribly myopic in 1st person view. ;)

Just remember, DICE uses vertical FOV, not horizontal FOV. IIRC, a setting of approximately 75-78 vertical equals around 110 degrees horizontal view ideal for your average 16:9 1080p monitors approximately 24" in size.

There are a few cases where 3rd person works better, but for the most part I play in 1st person view.

Last edited:
at 1440p I get about 80-100 fps on high settings in a 40 man server with my pc in sig. on ultra I get closer to 60-80. having a high refresh rate monitor spoils me so now I don't accept 60 fps so I run high instead of ultra, lol.

Back