Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2017)

why do people keep saying that the people that are buying the game are supporting microtransactions?...nothing could be further from the truth...the only people supporting it are the people that are actually paying for the micros...the people that are playing the game without any of that are making their own stand against it...if 5 million people buy the game and 95% don't pay for any micros then EA will get the point...so don't tell me that everyone buying the game is making the issue worse and supporting EA's business practices

I can agree with that. I haven't bought any DLC and I don't plan on it. However, if some DLC expansion to the single player campaign were to come out, I would probably get that. I have no interest in paying for loot boxes.

Only thing I keep going back to in my mind is the old school MMOs that took thousands of hours to get the best gear in the game, even more so if you had multiple character's to gear.

in the beta DX12 had performance issues compared to DX11...is this still the case with the final release?...Dice seems to have issues with DX12 as their games still are just using DX12 wrappers versus being built from the ground up with it

anyone?...does the DX12 version still have stuttering/hitching issues?

Only thing I keep going back to in my mind is the old school MMOs that took thousands of hours to get the best gear in the game, even more so if you had multiple character's to gear.

MMO's may be faster today, but getting fully geared can still be a significant time sync. It's not something that's one and done as they tend to increase the level cap and introduce new gear tiers. You also pay monthly for an MMO and or pay for things in microtransactions. I'm not a fan of that, but that's the direction MMO's have gone. However, all the MMO's I know of only use microtransactions for cosmetic items. In this case, it's not just cosmetic items you are paying for.

anyone?...does the DX12 version still have stuttering/hitching issues?

Yes, however it only happens to me in cut scenes in the single player campaign. These are also minimalized compared to the trial version.

Yes, however it only happens to me in cut scenes in the single player campaign. These are also minimalized compared to the trial version.

doesn't happen during the MP modes such as Starfighter Assault?...I remember even opening the crates during the beta caused major hitching

Star Wars  Battlefront II (2017) Screenshot 2017.11.14 - 01.39.50.22.png Star Wars  Battlefront II (2017) Screenshot 2017.11.14 - 01.43.31.87.png Star Wars  Battlefront II (2017) Screenshot 2017.11.14 - 03.56.56.07.png Star Wars  Battlefront II (2017) Screenshot 2017.11.14 - 04.23.40.38.png Star Wars  Battlefront II (2017) Screenshot 2017.11.14 - 04.31.53.31.png Star Wars  Battlefront II (2017) Screenshot 2017.11.15 - 01.51.35.62.png Star Wars  Battlefront II (2017) Screenshot 2017.11.15 - 02.27.48.29.png

So I currently have 18k credits from completing single player campaign and doing some Starfighter assault. Done about 2 hours of multiplayer so far

So I currently have 18k credits from completing single player campaign and doing some Starfighter assault. Done about 2 hours of multiplayer so far

How many credits did you get for the single player campaign and did it allow you to unlock Iden Versio as a hero or playable unit in multi?

why do people keep saying that the people that are buying the game are supporting microtransactions?...nothing could be further from the truth...the only people supporting it are the people that are actually paying for the micros...the people that are playing the game without any of that are making their own stand against it...if 5 million people buy the game and 95% don't pay for any micros then EA will get the point...so don't tell me that everyone buying the game is making the issue worse and supporting EA's business practices

You are supporting microtransactions because you are effectively conveying to EA that you are prepared to put up with these bullshit freemium gameplay mechanics that are included for the sole exploitative purpose of wearing away the resolve of users and praying on fools who happily hand over their wallets. It does not matter that you personally resist the temptation, all they need is that 5% of weakly constituted individuals to pay for microtransactions and they are literally making bank with little to no risk on their part, so as long as you keep buying there is no disincentive whatsoever for EA to stop including this bullshit in their games. You are in reality condoning its behavior. Again, Jim Sterling has done a pretty good job of eloquently eviscerating these types of arguments.

How many credits did you get for the single player campaign and did it allow you to unlock Iden Versio as a hero or playable unit in multi?

I know its 500 credits per single player mission beaten and I believe 5,000 for beating single player. Iden was not unlocked I dont believe, though I have only been playing Starfighter mode.

Up to 29,500 credits now....Have not played Arcade mode. Just beating the single player campaign and doing starfighter assault multiplayer.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/battlefront-ii-belgium-gambling-investigation/

You know what? This may one way to put some cold water on this microtransaction wave.

Imagine if all the countries decided to view this as gambling or a prelude to it and demanded EA (or anyone else) had to have a gambling license to sell a game with these kind of concepts in it.

You to have to have a gambling license and people have to be 18 or older.

That would cross check this nonsense before it gets any worse. A nice dose of cold water.

It sounds good potentially because people are going to keep supporting this otherwise. I've run into people who have spent $500 on microtransactions in these games and bragged about it. I've heard of even more extreme examples past that.

This has blown up into an international shit storm for EA. I haven't seen the likes of this since the ME3 ending.

Good.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/16/16658476/star-wars-battlefront-2-loot-crate-costs-analysis

^^ 'Nuff said. This is insane.

Remember Picard in First Contact? "The line must be drawn here!"

This is it. Or real close to it.

Last edited:
Your indifference does not matter. They are changing game design to support the microtransactions they're using to go after the whales. If only 10,000 players purchased enough to unlock everything according to the article posted in the news, that extra $21 million dollars would be worth it to EA. In context to the first game, that is just 7 tenths of 1% of the total player base that is generating a lot of extra revenue for EA. So all EA has to do is capture less than 1% of its player base with these tactics.

Everyone thought consolization was the death knell for gaming, but I really think this is it. I agree with Q-BZ that a stand against this practice must be taken now.

Your indifference does not matter. They are changing game design to support the microtransactions they're using to go after the whales. If only 10,000 players purchased enough to unlock everything according to the article posted in the news, that extra $21 million dollars would be worth it to EA. In context to the first game, that is just 7 tenths of 1% of the total player base that is generating a lot of extra revenue for EA. So all EA has to do is capture less than 1% of its player base with these tactics.

Everyone thought consolization was the death knell for gaming, but I really think this is it. I agree with Q-BZ that a stand against this practice must be taken now.

it's not just EA doing microtransactions...it's becoming more prevalent in gaming...all these people boycotting etc aren't really doing anything that will generate meaningful results in my opinion

They are changing game design to support the microtransactions they're using to go after the whales.

This is the concern stated very tightly. The bolded item in particular.

I don't care if the transactions are there for fluff, flotsam, "time savers"... if people want to blow their money on that and it's non-obstrusive like I've seen in several other games? You want to spend $5 on a sword to have at the beginning of the game instead of earning it 3/4 the way through? More power to you.

Fine. I can live with it. I'm not thrilled with it but I can live with it.

When we get to that bolded item? That's when we have a problem and everyone should see and understand the potential thread to this hobby we all enjoy and care about if that trend continues in that direction.

I agree it's not just EA doing this, either, but this seems to be the most egregious example thus far that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Microtrans aside, my main problem with the game is the focus is not on gameplay. Much more of the focus is on the graphics. Content is where it is at. These tiny maps with very restricted vehicles will not do. If they made something along the lines of battlefields operations or frontlines? Made the weapons more varied and had vehicles you could actually maneuver? Yes please. As is, no. They made another shallow pretty pool of suck imo.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
it's not just EA doing microtransactions...it's becoming more prevalent in gaming...all these people boycotting etc aren't really doing anything that will generate meaningful results in my opinion
If it makes you feel any better, from this point forward I'm personally no longer buying any game with microtransactions regardless of how it is implemented and sending an e-mail to the offending companies (publishers, developers, investors) explaining why every time a new game comes out that I would have purchased otherwise. The last part is the important step because a simple silent boycott is never enough. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and suggest others do the same.

If it makes you feel any better, from this point forward I'm personally no longer buying any game with microtransactions regardless of how it is implemented and sending an e-mail to the offending companies (publishers, developers, investors) explaining why every time a new game comes out that I would have purchased otherwise. The last part is the important step because a simple silent boycott is never enough. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and suggest others do the same.

I'm going to be getting a lot pickier from here on out as well. I'm going to have to. Nothing else to be done.

These tiny maps with very restricted vehicles will not do. If they made something along the lines of battlefields operations or frontlines? Made the weapons more varied and had vehicles you could actually maneuver? Yes please. As is, no. They made another shallow pretty pool of suck imo.

I've only played the beta so far but I agree that the maps outside of Starfighter Assault felt small compared to the first game...I hated that Galactic Assault map...felt too narrow and on rails where you couldn't really move around too much and take different branching paths

it's not just EA doing microtransactions...it's becoming more prevalent in gaming...

Not necessarily directing this at you; but people who keep regurgitating the "It's not just EA doing it" line are part of the problem. It's why companies like EA are pushing the boundaries of what should be acceptable.

Not necessarily directing this at you; but people who keep regurgitating the "It's not just EA doing it" line are part of the problem. It's why companies like EA are pushing the boundaries of what should be acceptable.

I think the economics of gaming are evolving...whether it's bad or good is another story...I think gamers want everything for free while developers/publishers need $$ to survive...Season Pass, microtransactions etc all are criticized by gamers but everyone needs to look at the bigger picture...with more and more developers closing etc the industry is trying to come up with new ways to deliver content while remaining profitable...

I don't have that big of an issue with Battefront 2 because I don't need to spend any extra $$ to get anything...it's there for people that don't want to grind but eventually I can get to that same level without having to pay extra...it's not an ideal situation but I don't feel like I'm being cheated

I'm going to be getting a lot pickier from here on out as well. I'm going to have to. Nothing else to be done.

Ultimately that is the only real power we have, not supporting this crap with our money. EA is now on my do-not-buy list unless they can prove they have changed in a real way. With their last several releases, though, it's clear they probably will not.

This year so far EA made $800 million off microtransactions. You'll never get 95% not to buy in to the microtransaction shit! No matter what game you buy you are supporting EA business practice! EA doesn't give a shit about you or any gamer! Just your money. So far they have made that clear over the years.

This year so far EA made $800 million off microtransactions. You'll never get 95% not to buy in to the microtransaction shit! No matter what game you buy you are supporting EA business practice! EA doesn't give a shit about you or any gamer! Just your money. So far they have made that clear over the years.

and which developer/publisher is actually not trying to make $$?

and which developer/publisher is actually not trying to make $$?

I don't believe anybody is stating that companies shouldn't make money. But they shouldn't nickle and dime their customers. We pay for the game. But then they lock shit behind pay walls and gambling mechanics. Yes, the content is there. But you have to grind to get it. And they limit your ability to grind, so you are either forced to play MP (against people who may have perks that give them a significant advantage), or to spend money and buy it.

And this isn't EA shitting on the game. The Devs are complicit, per their own words in their crafted AMA on Reddit.

The problem is that as long as people pay money for this shit, they will keep doing it. It looks pretty, but everything else seems like bantha piss. Short SP, shit puzzles, inability to pick up weapons, etc.

Because you'll crack and thus defeat the argument against this practice.

Because you'll crack and thus defeat the argument against this practice.

I 100% will not buy anything outside of the base price of the game (especially since I'll get those same things, just a bit later then the pay players)...I can have fun playing a match even if I don't win every time...I don't need to win all the time...there's something about the experience of piloting a Starfighter and having fun with the mechanics without the need to finish in the top spot every time...I don't even think I would want to be that good where I'm crushing everyone every time...that would get old quick...same with losing all the time...there's needs to be a happy medium where winning is fun but finishing outside the Top 3 can be just as fun

I'm more competitive in 1v1 pvp games like Dark Souls...

I 100% will not buy anything outside of the base price of the game (especially since I'll get those same things, just a bit later then the pay players)...

The problem is, even if one person that buys this game buys microtransactions, it is still worth doing it in EA's eyes. I doubt it costs them much to implement these systems, so they lose nothing and have everything to gain.

The only way to send a message is to not buy the games at all. The loss of $60+ is going to hit their wallet harder than the lack of microtransaction income alone.

People are free to do what they want, if you want to buy the game that is certainly your right. But please, make no mistake, you are supporting these practices by doing so.

The problem is, even if one person that buys this game buys microtransactions, it is still worth doing it in EA's eyes. I doubt it costs them much to implement these systems, so they lose nothing and have everything to gain.

The only way to send a message is to not buy the games at all. The loss of $60+ is going to hit their wallet harder than the lack of microtransaction income alone.

People are free to do what they want, if you want to buy the game that is certainly your right. But please, make no mistake, you are supporting these practices by doing so.

do you not shop at Walmart because they violate child labor laws or not eat at your favorite restaurant because of their treatment of animals etc...making a point of boycotting EA while ignoring similar (some would say more important) issues seems silly to me...

do you not shop at Walmart because they violate child labor laws or not eat at your favorite restaurant because of their treatment of animals etc...making a point of boycotting EA while ignoring similar (some would say more important) issues seems silly to me...

I don't shop at Walmart, actually. If I found out a restaurant was abusing animals I probably would stop going.

Regardless, this argument has very little weight - games are an entertainment item, not a necessity. I don't need to shop at Walmart to get food, but I do need to buy it somewhere.

I 100% will not buy anything outside of the base price of the game (especially since I'll get those same things, just a bit later then the pay players)...I can have fun playing a match even if I don't win every time...I don't need to win all the time...there's something about the experience of piloting a Starfighter and having fun with the mechanics without the need to finish in the top spot every time...I don't even think I would want to be that good where I'm crushing everyone every time...that would get old quick...same with losing all the time...there's needs to be a happy medium where winning is fun but finishing outside the Top 3 can be just as fun

I'm more competitive in 1v1 pvp games like Dark Souls...

I don't believe you. Every "crack" starts out harmless. That's how they eventually get you. It might not be this game, but it could be the next one. That's how gambling works. That's why people are comparing this practice to gambling. Everyone eventually cracks when they get to something that speaks to them. Again, it starts small.

I just don't play this crap anymore because I know I'll crack. So, it's best to abstain completely than to try and walk that tight rope. I broke with ME3 and I broke with Destiny. I admit I get into the "mindset." I'm human, not a saint. Still, I'm aware of this behavior in myself, and I know it exists in EVERY single other one. It's just a our points of breaking is different.

I don't shop at Walmart, actually. If I found out a restaurant was abusing animals I probably would stop going.

Regardless, this argument has very little weight - games are an entertainment item, not a necessity. I don't need to shop at Walmart to get food, but I do need to buy it somewhere.

the shirt you're wearing was probably made in a sweat shop in Asia...my point was there's a million other things that you can boycott as well but don't...choosing a game publisher is just an easy target because like you said they are a disposable item

the shirt you're wearing was probably made in a sweat shop in Asia...my point was there's a million other things that you can boycott as well but don't...choosing a game publisher is just an easy target because like you said they are a disposable item

If I want to go out in public, I do have to wear clothing so again, this argument is fallacious at best. I don't like that clothing (and virtually everything) is made in Chinese sweat shops, but I also have to go out into the world and go to work, so we have to pick our battles.

EA is an easy target, yes, because they keep pulling stupid shit like this and we do not need to buy their products to function in life.

If you need another reason as to why we are "choosing" to target EA: because I have been enjoying gaming as a hobby for years and I don't want to see it destroyed by greedy assholes.

I don't believe you. Every "crack" starts out harmless. That's how they eventually get you. It might not be this game, but it could be the next one. That's how gambling works. That's why people are comparing this practice to gambling. Everyone eventually cracks when they get to something that speaks to them. Again, it starts small.

I just don't play this crap anymore because I know I'll crack. So, it's best to abstain completely than to try and walk that tight rope. I broke with ME3 and I broke with Destiny. I admit I get into the "mindset." I'm human, not a saint. Still, I'm aware of this behavior in myself, and I know it exists in EVERY single other one. It's just a our points of breaking is different.

that's like saying everyone that goes to a casino is a gambling addict...or everyone who tries 1 cigarette becomes a chain smoker...there are plenty of people who can resist temptations

I dont understand why people are still bitching. Buy the game if you want or you dont. Them having loot boxes isnt going to change. I mean hell Overwatch has loot boxes, Hearthstone you have to buy packs of cards to randomly get cards. It's not like this shit hasnt been around for years.

Protest with your wallet. EA doesn't really give 2 fucks about a few people who complain.

Also why aren't people bitching about the Streamers or hell even rich people who ill buy the deluxe version and pay for every unlock. They are as guilty as EA if you ask me.

In world of warcraft you can cheat and buy a level 100 boost to bypass all the game content. Why aren't people bitching about that?

I dont understand why people are still bitching.

There are plenty of threads in these forums over the last 2 days that can help explain it to you.

Protest with your wallet. EA doesn't really give 2 fucks about a few people who complain.

Clearly. Definitely why they already changed their unlock amounts and issued public announcements and Reddit AMA's within the first week of release. Because a "Few people complained" (700,000 down-votes and counting and literally every major game publication)

In world of warcraft you can cheat and buy a level 100 boost to bypass all the game content. Why aren't people bitching about that?

Another "That game does it too, why can't this one" statement.

Well it is the truth. Kids bitching about paying for stuff. Makes no sense to just bitch about 1 company when tons of companies do it.

It's like the newer generation is too entitled if you ask me.

Well it is the truth. Kids bitching about paying for stuff. Makes no sense to just bitch about 1 company when tons of companies do it.

It's like the newer generation is too entitled if you ask me.

You might be onto something, I see that a lot where people "feel" they're paying too much for something and it boils down to the fact that they want something that normally has a certain cost or a high cost and they have decided in their mind that it should be entirely free and they have no concept of the work and cost involved in providing the service or product.

As for Battlefront 2, I highly doubt there will be any productive recourse on the game because this board historically has too much vitriol towards EA.

I will admit that I bought Need For Speed Payback but I'm probably the only one and its getting hammered for the same thing in spite of the fact that I enjoy the actual gameplay.

Last edited:
I dont understand why people are still bitching. Buy the game if you want or you dont. Them having loot boxes isnt going to change. I mean hell Overwatch has loot boxes, Hearthstone you have to buy packs of cards to randomly get cards. It's not like this shit hasnt been around for years.

Also why aren't people bitching about the Streamers or hell even rich people who ill buy the deluxe version and pay for every unlock. They are as guilty as EA if you ask me.

Overwatch lootboxes have nothing to do with impacting gameplay. That's the difference.

MMO is a completely different type of game and people expect a grind. If they had sold this game as having a MMO experience people wouldn't be complaining as much.

If they wanted to lock various gameplay elements behind a pay wall they should have sold the game like Planetside 2, world of tanks, etc and had the base game just be free to play.

Last edited:
Back