Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2017)

EA said:
We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date.

Now I'm curious what their new lootbox system will be.

Same system but "tweaked". And they are bringing back the real money aspects, so this is still only a holdover measure to mitigate outrage.

Honestly, unless they gut progression from the loot box system, it's still basically flawed. And that would take a major overhaul of the game.

Loot boxes in battlefront 2 doesnt impact gameplay when you can unlock the same things in the game for just playing. It just takes longer to unlock them. Either you pay for the Unlocks, and you play to unlock them. Same thing BF4 and BF1 did.

So there goes your argument.

Watch this video....and when you are finished, watch it again....and keep rewatching it until it finally penetrates that grinding for hours on end as an alternative to paying EA for the privilege of accessing in-game content of a $60 game is gameplay impacting design.

What are you talking about? The heroes in particular must be unlocked by either investing time or pay2win. If you don't have enough heroes you can't even play in some game modes properly.

Again this is COMPLETELY different from Overwatch.

And yes all the BF games since BF2 have had gun unlocks, but those guns never were generally all that much better then what you got off the bat. Finally, none of those games required you to invest time to unlock a class. It would be like if Overwatch or TF2 required you to play 50 hours to unlock a new class.

DOTA/LoL isn't an apt comparison either as they are F2P.

Thank Christ you had the good sense to point this out before I needed to write a scathing response, I was utterly incredulous that any person could in all seriousness make such an asinine comparison.

Image in case this comment gets deleted.

QbPhQKv.jpg

In other words...

giphy.gif

Same system but "tweaked". And they are bringing back the real money aspects, so this is still only a holdover measure to mitigate outrage.

Honestly, unless they gut progression from the loot box system, it's still basically flawed. And that would take a major overhaul of the game.

It's actually kind of genius marketing on their part; suspend the lootbox system at launch, knowing people probably will miss the "for the time being" part, so more of the outraged crowd will purchase the game.

A bit like their "whoa guys, we heard you love the unlock system but hate how much it costs, so we've done you a solid and made Vader cheaper!" statement

I dont understand why people are still bitching. Buy the game if you want or you dont. Them having loot boxes isnt going to change. I mean hell Overwatch has loot boxes, Hearthstone you have to buy packs of cards to randomly get cards. It's not like this shit hasnt been around for years.

Protest with your wallet. EA doesn't really give 2 fucks about a few people who complain.

Also why aren't people bitching about the Streamers or hell even rich people who ill buy the deluxe version and pay for every unlock. They are as guilty as EA if you ask me.

In world of warcraft you can cheat and buy a level 100 boost to bypass all the game content. Why aren't people bitching about that?
  1. Hearthstone is free to play.
  2. Already mentioned that silent boycotts don't work.
  3. I bitch about this, just not here. Angry Joe is one of the largest hypocrites out there.
  4. Because you know exactly what you're paying for, and you still have to gear and build your character
You might be onto something, I see that a lot where people "feel" they're paying too much for something and it boils down to the fact that they want something that normally has a certain cost or a high cost and they have decided in their mind that it should be entirely free and they have no concept of the work and cost involved in providing the service or product.

As for Battlefront 2, I highly doubt there will be any productive recourse on the game because this board historically has too much vitriol towards EA.

I will admit that I bought Need For Speed Payback but I'm probably the only one and its getting hammered for the same thing in spite of the fact that I enjoy the actual gameplay.
I've said many times that I would be willing to pay $100+ for a full game at launch for the simple fact that the cost of games hasn't been keeping up with the rate of inflation. The economics of this leads to things like season passes and now loot boxes. If people were willing to pay the true cost for a video game then this would never have happened. I still remember the outrage a decade ago when the price went up a simple $10 for the base game.

See discussion in this thread:
https://hardforum.com/threads/i-dont-trust-60-games.1919633/
Doesn't HotS and LoL do something similar? Buy the heroes or just play to unlock them?
Again, those games are free to play and you know exactly what you're paying for.

Watch the video up to where they have icons on the Star Wars actors head EA with a big pile of poop on the Right and EA sucks on the left.

If they removed everything I would give this game a chance maybe I wouldn't pay full price though.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
You can pay to win and unlock a lot of shit early. However, because they are gambling boxes you have little control over what you want to unlock beyond choosing star fighter or trooper oriented crates. However, you can target what you want regarding character unlocks and earn specific them pretty quickly. To me, it seems the path towards what you want isn't all that long.

The best compromise would be something like pay .99 cents for 1 persistent credit to spawn as Vader or the hero of your choice any time during a game, and then packs of 10, 25 and 100 hero spawns discounted obviously.

Because some of us want to slay noobs, but have jobs and therefore no time to mindlessly grind like the kids with afternoons free.

Last edited:
The best compromise would be something like pay .99 cents for 1 persistent credit to spawn as Vader or the hero of your choice any time during a game, and then packs of 10, 25 and 100 hero spawns discounted obviously.

Because some of us want to slay noobs, but have jobs and therefore no time to mindlessly grind like the kids with afternoons free.

Like I said, the character unlock isn't all that much of a grind.

With a real single player campaign I will wait for it to hit 30-40$ then buy. It looks to be a pretty decent game.

Image in case this comment gets deleted.

QbPhQKv.jpg

In other words...

thats what I expect a competitive AAA studio to say.

1. mastercard offers 120 day chargeback
2. ^
3. it will be as revelant, cause what else will there be to talk about?
4. what about EA's future? lying to your customers has consequences. if EA puts pay2win back in at a later date, they would have been better off leaving it in to begin with. cause at least they wouldn't have been deceiving customers.

Last edited:
With a real single player campaign I will wait for it to hit 30-40$ then buy. It looks to be a pretty decent game.

Thats what I will likely do. I picked up the first one cheap a couple of months ago just before they had all the free dlc on origin/consoles. I'm not hearing great things about single player so far but I figure the game will be on sale in 6-12 months to be worth it to run around in star wars again.

The whole deal is a shame as the game looks good visually. I wish they'd make another Jedi Knight game.

the Amazon Prime pre-order price was $47 so I went with that

Same here, just gotta wait till Tuesday for it to arrive on an actual disk. I wish I could just get the key ahead of time so I can get to downloading it.

Again, those games are free to play and you know exactly what you're paying for.

Free 2 Play is not an excuse for a way someone does there business practices to be justified. So many games do shady micro transactions and they just go ignored. Yet when EA does it.. It's the end of the world. It's fanboi's nothing more.

Same here, just gotta wait till Tuesday for it to arrive on an actual disk. I wish I could just get the key ahead of time so I can get to downloading it.

yeah I don't know why they didn't have a Release Day delivery option (even with Prime)

Based on my close examining of the game reviews, I have determined the following:

The Good: The graphics
The bad: everything else

Dont buy this game

just got a origin key on ebay for $30, and it ended up being the deluxe edition, lol.

I tried the beta. I did the same with the first game. I bought neither. I am more infantry focused and hated the beta. Bored the crap out of me. The vehicles are on rails ala cod. Fuck that. The maps are linear and tiny. Fuck that too. Also. Fuck ea. Good evening.

$30 I’m in. I’ve never been a fan of the engine for mp. So I really only want it for the sp experience.

I tried the beta. I did the same with the first game. I bought neither. I am more infantry focused and hated the beta. Bored the crap out of me. The vehicles are on rails ala cod. Fuck that. The maps are linear and tiny. Fuck that too. Also. Fuck ea. Good evening.
The only vehicles that are on rails are the large assault vehicles like the AT-AT and MTT and the Gunship. You can spawn in a LAAT gunship on some maps, and its similar to the gunship in BF3/BF4 and circle the battlefield. The AT-AT's and MTT's run a path just like the Walker Assault game mode in the first game. All the other vehicles are fully steerable on the map and can be spawned in like the heroes.

Everything else you posted is fairly accurate.

in the beta the ships on that Galactic Assault map were more annoying to fly then fun...even in Battlefront 1 on that Hoth map the ships were tricky to fly because of how small the infantry looked while in the air

Buddy of mine works at EA. About to throw him $25 for a copy(Employee cost at the internal EA store).. Worth it or no?

Amazon shipped out my copy today...scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Saturday)...the original delivery date was Tuesday so I'm glad I'll be getting it early

Is this game fun or what??? The reviews are tainted because they did change the unlock system. Is this game fun or a miserable grind? I can’t even tell with everyone just not buying it as a matter of principle.

Has anyone actually played it and is it fun ?

I will say this I don’t know what in God’s holy name cause them to include content from the prequels.

Back