Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (2017)

It's time for a Star Wars: Tie Fighter remake using the Frost engine, fuck this arcadey space combat crap!!

I just rewatched some of the old game footage and I don't think Battlefront II (2017) is anymore "arcadey" than the original games were. About the only difference is the fact that the combat areas are a bit more restrictive and you get an indicator of where to lead with your blaster fire to hit the target at distance, which makes sense. I'm with you in that I want a game that's more like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter etc., but Battlefront II isn't as far off as you might think on the space combat aside from potential mission length. However, we have tey to see what the single player Starfighter missions look like.

I liked Hardline a lot. The campaign anyways. Didn't touch the online stuff.

I dunno, I remember when it was announced a lot of people claimed it was a cash grab. Likewise, after release I basically heard nothing about it again and no one I knew actually played it.

I dunno, I remember when it was announced a lot of people claimed it was a cash grab. Likewise, after release I basically heard nothing about it again and no one I knew actually played it.

I liked the police storyline. It was different. Felt like a gritty cop show. I enjoyed how you didn't have to kill everyone either. You can handcuff making it more of a stealth game. Although it got a bit tiring about 2/3, luckily there isn't a penalty for going full Rambo.

I didn't care much for BF1 WWI remake nearly as much.

Hardline was not well received at all and the player base died out super fast...SW: Battlefront has its flaws and is better appreciated by those that are big fans of the movies...they nailed the feel of flying in a Starfighter or fighting someone with a light saber or shooting someone with a blaster...top notch audio as well...

Star Wars Battlefront 2's single-player campaign offers a fresh perspective on a familiar world

A campaign was, for many, the missing piece from 2015's Star Wars Battlefront, and the one key ingredient that could make its sequel worthwhile...having played a slim handful of missions, it's certainly not been left wanting when it comes to budget, production values or sheer spectacle...this is as visually grandiose as Star Wars single player games have been to date.

It's light but enjoyable stuff, with no small amount of dazzle, and while I don't think it's going to truly wow anyone - and certainly wouldn't be enough on its own to warrant the price of admission - it's a fun distraction that offers a new spin on well-worn tales...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ffers-a-fresh-perspective-on-a-familiar-world

I am just hoping for a decent story through cutscenes. We all know this isn’t going to be a mass effect level single player game :)

I am just hoping for a decent story through cutscenes. We all know this isn’t going to be a mass effect level single player game :)

to me it sounds like Battlefront 2 is the sum of its parts...enough really good parts like Starfighter Assault, single player etc to balance out the other non-great parts like Galactic Assault (at least the maps they had in the beta)...I'm in for this...I didn't get the first Battlefront game even though I enjoyed the beta because there didn't seem to be enough content to make it a worthwhile long term investment (plus PC player base is always a concern)

to me it sounds like Battlefront 2 is the sum of its parts...enough really good parts like Starfighter Assault, single player etc to balance out the other non-great parts like Galactic Assault (at least the maps they had in the beta)...I'm in for this...I didn't get the first Battlefront game even though I enjoyed the beta because there didn't seem to be enough content to make it a worthwhile long term investment (plus PC player base is always a concern)

I think the original game is solid now, but it was seriously lacking in content when it was released. Supposedly, Battlefront II will launch with far more content than the first one had, or has now which is great. I checked out the second single player only trailer and about 10 minutes of gameplay footage. The gameplay footage doesn't look all that great, but there are more exciting bits in the trailer, so I'm hoping the game play footage is from an early part of the campaign and not the best of what we have to look forward to. I don't know how solid the story will be, but it should be worth a run through or two. Or at least, that's what I am hoping for. That said, I'll probably get my money's worth out of Starfighter assault.

Hardline was not well received at all and the player base died out super fast...SW: Battlefront has its flaws and is better appreciated by those that are big fans of the movies...they nailed the feel of flying in a Starfighter or fighting someone with a light saber or shooting someone with a blaster...top notch audio as well...

Hardline actually did well in terms of player count on the consoles. On PC it became a ghost town though.

Hardline actually did well in terms of player count on the consoles. On PC it became a ghost town though.

I liked Hardline well enough for what I paid for it. I got it with the BF4 Premium package or something like that. I've really enjoyed the single player campaign. The story is a bit far fetched, but more grounded than your better Call of Duty games. Plus, I liked the arrest / take down mechanic and overall gameplay of the campaign. It's a shame it wasn't more well received. On the multiplayer side, I haven't bothered with it.

reposting this from another forum...

EA: "We will most likely discount the game like we did last time around the movie launch, and maybe you’ll even see some selective discounts around the holidays, either Thanksgiving or Christmas. That’s the way the games business always has worked. And so if you see the title on discount, don’t read anything into that other than the fact that that’s the way you sell games in the holidays"

wow, way to kill Day 1 sales

reposting this from another forum...

EA: "We will most likely discount the game like we did last time around the movie launch, and maybe you’ll even see some selective discounts around the holidays, either Thanksgiving or Christmas. That’s the way the games business always has worked. And so if you see the title on discount, don’t read anything into that other than the fact that that’s the way you sell games in the holidays"

wow, way to kill Day 1 sales

Like they said, this is hardly news. Back in the day, I used to be able to wait a mere two weeks to get any new physical PC game for $39.99 at the local Fry's. This model is nothing new.

Like they said, this is hardly news. Back in the day, I used to be able to wait a mere two weeks to get any new physical PC game for $39.99 at the local Fry's. This model is nothing new.

Black Friday is 1 week after Battlefront 2's release...I don't know any game ever that went on sale that fast...especially a AAA title and not some indie game...even if there was a substantial drop during Christmas would be surprising...

It will not sell well on PC. Too bland except for the starfighter bit. Even that has limited replay ability. I don't know why they don't make the infantry game more like bf1. The maps in the beta are tiny and the weapons and gameplay feel is super consoley anyway. I feel it will get old quickly. I never bought the first one and am not changing unless the single player is an epic 6 hrs.

I see the Deluxe edition is released on the November "13th " and the regular edition is on the the "16th" I might have to look into because it falls in just before my vacation is over unless COD WWII is the best.

It will not sell well on PC. Too bland except for the starfighter bit. Even that has limited replay ability. I don't know why they don't make the infantry game more like bf1. The maps in the beta are tiny and the weapons and gameplay feel is super consoley anyway. I feel it will get old quickly. I never bought the first one and am not changing unless the single player is an epic 6 hrs.

I think it all depends on the number of maps...Starfighter was the best part of the beta and the only reason I'm interested in the game (along with single player campaign)...I'm hearing there will be around 5 maps...

I mean, I have a Hotas Thrustmaster stick I would love to try out for battlefront 2. Plus the graphics will be gorgeous, no? How well is the game optimized? 165 frames per second with a single 1080Ti possible at 1440p?

Yeah. Game runs well. Should be fine with that. My 2500k and 980 ran 100+ fps at 1080p.

Battlefront 2 now on Origin Access

EA’s latest Star Wars shooter Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is now on Origin Access...anyone who has paid the monthly subscription can now play the game ahead of the game’s full release

this trial offers ten hours of gameplay prior to the launch on November 17th...there is also a 10% discount if the game is purchased after testing it out and all progress will carry over...the trial includes both the single-player and multiplayer modes...

** Origin Access would be a somewhat better deal if they allowed complete access and not this 10 hour limit...9 days early access to the game but only a 10 hour limit??...that's silly

Well. That is $5 to play the single player. About all I am interested in anyway.

this is a good value since the single player campaign is likely to be less then 10 hours, in fact - if its more then 6 I'd be shocked.

Well. That is $5 to play the single player. About all I am interested in anyway.

this is a good value since the single player campaign is likely to be less then 10 hours, in fact - if its more then 6 I'd be shocked.

the full single player is not available...a portion of the single-player can be accessed, however, most of the experience remains locked behind the $59.99 price tag

Last edited:
I played the single player last night. I didn't have much time to do anything else. It looks better at 4K than the beta did. A few of the weapons are interesting. There is nothing ground breaking about the game play or the story from what I can tell. However, it's a competently executed single player campaign set in the Star Wars universe. Speaking of which, the game looks fantastic and it's quite entertaining. It's a corridor shooter not unlike the single player campaigns of the Battlefield or CoD games. I don't think there is much replay value outside of going through it to enjoy the spectacular visuals and atmosphere the game offers.

The ID10 droid is amusing to use at times. Shocking people with the little asshole is amusing. There are some smaller touches that add to that Star Wars experience, such as shooting door controls to shut doors and lock troops behind them. Weapons variety is good with nice analogs to real guns or gun roles. You've got shotguns, SMG type weapons, DMR's and the trusty E-11. It's not a useless starter gun like you get with some games. Some elements of the game are pretty repetitive. Animations don't vary a whole lot. A stealth take down for example is always the same. Admittedly, it's a different type of take down than I normally see in games like this, but some animation variety would have been nice.

Game performance was good, but dropped occasionally in cinematic sequences. I don't doubt that a day one Game Ready driver will be inbound from NVIDIA soon. I suspect this will solve what few performance hiccups I saw. The game seems highly polished, but there is no special effort with the single player. It's well done, but don't expect it to blow you away. I never saw anything in the single player mission that floored me. However, there were more exciting things in the latest single player trailer so that might change. The visuals are solid, and this is easily one of the best looking games out there today. It won't wow you too much if your used to the first Battlefront (2015) game. It's about on par with that game, maybe slightly better in some places or worse in others. However, I will say that fighting on Kamino was spectacular from a visual standpoint. The apparent scale of some of these multiplayer maps is impressive. They might even be too big unless the game makes up for the size with NPC bots to fill out the environment.

I'm sure I'll have different and far more comprehensive thoughts about the full game once I have access to it. For now I'd say my feeling is that this is shaping up to be a real 8/10 to 8.5/10 title. Not the 8.5 most game journalists give a title that should be more of a 3/10, but an actual 8.0-8.5/10. If you wanted to like Battlefront (2015), then I'd give this one a serious look. Battlefront (2015) was a solid game after all the DLC's were done despite the horrendous starfighter combat. Battlefront II (2017) is for the most part, everything we wanted and didn't get out of Battlefront (2015).

Dice is known for increasing the graphical quality from beta to final release...looking at some screenshots posted on other forums it definitely looks more crisp and detailed...I'm definitely getting the Standard Edition...hopefully GMG has a nice deal closer to launch

Dice is known for increasing the graphical quality from beta to final release...looking at some screenshots posted on other forums it definitely looks more crisp and detailed...I'm definitely getting the Standard Edition...hopefully GMG has a nice deal closer to launch

Supposedly there was some sort of issue with the game at 4K during the beta. If you switched to 1440 or 1080P the game looked more crisp and detailed. I didn't know that until the trial was almost over. That wasn't my monitors native resolution so it wasn't ideal even then. At 4K, the trial version looks excellent. Now, there isn't a lot of apples to apples comparisons going on because I have not been to the same locations for the most part given that I did the single player only. However, the Fondor shipyards do look better so there is at least that frame of reference to compare it to the beta.

Supposedly there was some sort of issue with the game at 4K during the beta. If you switched to 1440 or 1080P the game looked more crisp and detailed. I didn't know that until the trial was almost over. That wasn't my monitors native resolution so it wasn't ideal even then. At 4K, the trial version looks excellent. Now, there isn't a lot of apples to apples comparisons going on because I have not been to the same locations for the most part given that I did the single player only. However, the Fondor shipyards do look better so there is at least that frame of reference to compare it to the beta.

when I played the beta at 1920 x 1200 it was a noticeable step down in graphics from the first game...everything looked worse from textures to foliage...the Starfighter Assault map looked great but maybe that's because everything is more distant and fast-moving rather then close-up textures...

Last edited:
when I played the beta at 1920 x 1200 it was a noticeable step down in graphics from the first game...everything looked worse from textures to foliage...the Starfighter Assault map looked great but maybe that's because everything is more distant and fast-moving rather then close-up textures...

I don't think it is currently, though I'd have to do a real comparison between the two to know for sure.

Back