Star Trek-Style Home Elevator Could Replace Stairlifts

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know how "Star Trek-ish" this thing is, but it is pretty cool compared to traditional stairlifts.

"You could describe it as a high-end chair lift. People don't want, in many cases, a chair-lift on their beautiful staircase and they don't necessarily want a lift; it's about looking at the lift for the long-term future proofing the property. And unlike a stairlift which is a permanent feature on your staircase, the lift can be sent away when you don't need it - so it's never the elephant in the room."

It's like the lift on Deep Space 9. The most un trekking series in the Star Trek universe.

It's like the lift on Deep Space 9. The most un trekking series in the Star Trek universe.

They still managed to get into some interesting philosophical debates, but you are right that there is definitely a lot less emphasis on exploration in that series. Still, this is just a very small elevator from the looks of it.

I would still like to see a series in that universe but from a different angle, like say based around the kilgons or such instead of the humans/federation

And unlike a stairlift which is a permanent feature on your staircase, the lift can be sent away when you don't need it

No, no you can't. What you can do is send the car from one room to another. However what if somebody is in both rooms? you can't make it vanish from both rooms. On top of that there is still going to be the rails. So it is never going to be fully "gone"

It is a nice looking system, but not something that is going to be less of an eye soar than most other methods.

It was still dam good though! Better action then ST:TNG in a lot of ways.

Screw the elevator, lets get the dam warp drive system going first. :)

someone will manage to lose a limb to one of these things, or just flat out bisect themselves

Personal elevators that fit in closets have been available for decades. I don't see what the big deal is over this. (other than it could take up floor space in a room.)

I could see how this would work, but there would need to be a metric fuck-ton of reinforcing of the floor around the elevator if the only point of support is going to be the floor. But if you need to keep that part of the room free of everything (presumably so you don't squish anyone who's hanging out over the elevator, why not just have a traditional elevator?

Should be fun to watch when the fire department has to cut you out of it when there is a mechanical fault.

Personal elevators that fit in closets have been available for decades. I don't see what the big deal is over this. (other than it could take up floor space in a room.)

I could see how this would work, but there would need to be a metric fuck-ton of reinforcing of the floor around the elevator if the only point of support is going to be the floor. But if you need to keep that part of the room free of everything (presumably so you don't squish anyone who's hanging out over the elevator, why not just have a traditional elevator?

That was my thought also. Looks like it might be "easier" to install than a normal elevator. But still you are going to have to make sure that it is reinforced very well. You also are going to risk crushing somebody as you have no way to know if somebody is standing on top of the floor or under you. At least above they can jump off and out of the way, under you they get hit in the head, knocked out and then crushed.

Either way having something inside of a closet or special room (closet) would be much cleaner of an install than this. And would be much safer.

That this is never going to work in the U.S.
Far too many land whales that won't fit in that tiny box.

Should be fun to watch when the fire department has to cut you out of it when there is a mechanical fault.

Not very different from when the fire department has to help with people stuck in elevators currently.

I was hoping for a transporter. :D:D

Beam me up!!!

MV5BMTU2MjgzNTI3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc0MjI3NA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

I think they should make a version that's big enough to fit a wheelchair.

That was my thought also. Looks like it might be "easier" to install than a normal elevator. But still you are going to have to make sure that it is reinforced very well. You also are going to risk crushing somebody as you have no way to know if somebody is standing on top of the floor or under you. At least above they can jump off and out of the way, under you they get hit in the head, knocked out and then crushed.
Newest "I was confused about what pedal I was pushing" murder technique of the elderly! :D

When I said un trekking I just meant that it was mainly set in a stationary location. Granted, Terok Nor was capable of being moved short distances but it wasn't capable of interstellar flight like a starship. To be honest, I was a big fan of the show and never missed an episode.

You do realize that you die in the beaming process?
not entirely you are transformed, beamed, reformed.

What you are transformed into may or may not be viable. But it like being frozen and revived. Once your frozen you will be dead unless someone makes a pro-active effort to revive you at a later time.

I think they should make a version that's big enough to fit a wheelchair.

If you are in a wheelchair friendly home you may have such a thing, but out of the box most common homes are not wheelchair friendly.

In what way is this like startrek? I thought star trek elevators were still the traditional closet types and can move in any direction. When it said startrek i thought the house had rails zigzagging around the house that the elevator travels on.

The guy that demonstrated put his foot underneath, it stopped and was able to slide it out.

not entirely you are transformed, beamed, reformed.

What you are transformed into may or may not be viable. But it like being frozen and revived. Once your frozen you will be dead unless someone makes a pro-active effort to revive you at a later time.

This Book is Full Of Spiders said:
“All right, but you know Star Trek, and ‘Beam me up, Scotty’? How they can teleport people around?”
“Yeah. The transporters.”
“Do you know how they work?”
“Just … special effects. CGI or whatever they used.”
“No, I mean within the universe of the show. They work by breaking down your molecules, zapping you over a beam, and putting you back together on the other end.”
“Sure.”
“That is what scares me. I can’t watch it. I find it too disturbing.”
I shrugged. “I don’t get it.”
“Well, think about it. Your body is just made of a few different types of atoms. Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and so on. So this transporter machine, there is no reason in the world to break down all of those atoms and then send those specific atoms thousands of miles away. One oxygen atom is the same as another, so what it does is send the blueprint for your body across the beam. Then it resembles you at the destination, out of whatever atoms it has nearby. So if there’s carbon and hydrogen at the planet your’re beaming down to, it’ll just put you together out of what it has on hand, because you get the exact same result.“
"Sure”

“So it’s more like sending a fax than mailing a letter. Except the transporter is a fax machine that shreds the original. Your original body, along with your brain, gets vaporized. Which means what comes out on the other end isn’t you. It’s an exact copy that the machine made, of a man who is now dead, his atoms floating freely around the interior of the ship.Only within the universe of the show, nobody knows this.
"Meanwhile you are dead. Dead for all eternity. All of your memories and emotions and personality end, right there, on that platform, forever. Your wife and children and friends will never see you again.What they will see is an unnatural photocopy of you that emerged from the other end. And in fact, since transporter technology is used routinely, all of the people you see on that ship are copies of copies of long-dead, vaporized crew members. And no one ever figures it out. They all continue to blithely step into this machine that kills one hundred percent of the people who use it, but no one realizes it because each time, it spits out a perfect replacement for the victim at the other end.”

I stared at him.

“Why did you tell me that?”

He shrugged. “You asked.”

I'll never use a teleporter. This thing is more like a turbolift though.

@MisterClean
That's also how i understood it.

Back