“Star Trek” Reveals Title, First Look At U.S.S. Discovery

I think just about everything I'd have to say has been said already accept maybe a few things and I'm sure I'm going to tread on others.

1. This ship is the wrong color. Seriously look at all the other examples of "production" ships posted in this thread.
2. I feel that the concepts provide might have been the bases for this ship but I also think they would have been heavily altered before they went into production.
3. Yes the CG is bad and they should feel badly
4. This makes me fear that it's going to be another fight show.

X. I don't even know where to put these.
I feel the deflector dish is too small for that ship and too far back.
The cliche BOOOooooo (UGH!)
There is something that really irks me about the design of the ship, something about it doesn't make sense. Maybe because it tries to be aerodynamic and starships don't need to be.
Oh this is actually the biggest. I am not going to pay for CBS All Access to see this series.

Reminds me of the XB-70.

8_HBLUl4.jpg

xb-70-landing.jpg

The XB-70 has to have been up there in prettiest aircraft to grace the sky. Had a giant model of that beast I made way back as akiddo.

This Star Trek vessel...conversely is one of the ugliest CG creations made by a major film studio

Would not surprise me if this is beyond The Next Generation. It sort of looks like a small version of the Enterprise - G.

The XB-70 has to have been up there in prettiest aircraft to grace the sky. Had a giant model of that beast I made way back as akiddo.

This Star Trek vessel...conversely is one of the ugliest CG creations made by a major film studio

Same here, and a large model Starfighter and a large SR-71.

Inspired me to get into Aerospace to begin with growing up.

sr-71_blackbird.jpg

Some of the coolest planes ever but they only hold a couple people and are not meant to be sustained flight of course.

And yes, the new ship looks dreadful.

It does need work, hopefully they will take note and change it before release.

Last edited:
Rather than be on CBS all access, they should have just given it to Netflix and let them make it in house, I would have pretty high hopes for it then...But CBS? Ehh..

Another thing, it will ONLY be on CBS all access, they are not letting Netflix stream this to US customers, only over seas...WTF?! The price is also the same as a Netflix sub AND they still have ads, Linux ISO's here I come!

Reactions: ChadD
like this
This is pretty horrid. They would have been better off showing nothing more then a logo.

Others have said it, still I will repeat it. There is far better fan fiction already out there. I hope this is a joke. Better yet I hope there lawyers have issues locking down the rights and they are forced to rethink things.... still if this is the best they could come up with I don't hold out much hope.

I am all about the story and not the FX like most trek fans... Still this is so phoned in I can only assume the rest will be on par. The latest movie beyond is pretty good to, its perplexing to me how the industry thinks they can just phone in Television and make bank. After all the success Netflix has been having with their own high quality content you would think they would learn. Thinks have changed and no one is going to sit through commercials unless they offer something of quality. Seeing this makes me think they still believe they can half ass content and spend nothing.... perhaps they should just do some more reality TV and just die already.

By the number (NCC 1031 versus NCC 1701) - does anyone else anticipate this is pre original ST?

Does the turning on the running lights really require an exploding sound effect? In this sci-fi production, not only can you hear in space, even light is noisy.

Does the turning on the running lights really require an exploding sound effect? In this sci-fi production, not only can you hear in space, even light is noisy.

Those are obviously subspace mechanical relays switching on (technically what is happening is 'reversed polarity')

Further, what is the point of running lights? Everyone far enough away to need them to see your NCC # is way too far to see the lights or the NCC number....everyone near enough to see them can already see you and your NCC #. Waste of lots of power, and the lenses for said lights would get trashed anyway.

Pointless ST crap for the sake of good visuals. Like most Star Trek fantasy magical tech.

Same here, and a large model Starfighter and a large SR-71.

Inspired me to get into Aerospace to begin with growing up.

sr-71_blackbird.jpg

Some of the coolest planes ever but they only hold a couple people and are not meant to be sustained flight of course.

It does need work, hopefully they will take note and change it before release.

Built an SR-71 model too. The X, and the SR, planes especially are insane in that they were done with fing slide rules.

So, we have Star Trek the original series (ST-TOS), Star Trek TNG (ST-TNG), Star Trek Deep Space 9 (ST-DS9), Star Trek Voyager (STV), Star Trek Enterprise (STE).
Now Star Trek Discovery: ST-D. STD? Captain Chlamydia? Commander Syphilis? Lieutenant Gonorrhea?
Rear Admiral HIV? Ensign Herpes? This is gonna be good. Maybe a Romulan with lots of warts, Centurian HPV.
Perhaps they might re-think that name.

Back