Star Trek: Discovery Will Return on January 7th, 2018

People DID make a big deal, because I remember. And there wasn't social media back then to make it seem so prevalent.
I agree it was an issue, but the problem with voyager comes down to writers and Rick Berman. I think Brannon Braga was a big part of the problem too, but I can't prove that. It should have been a great show and if it'd been in the hands of someone like Ronald Moore, it probably would have been.

How simplistic, almost childlike in the simplicity. It’s not racism that caused all that. You have to dig deeper to get educated on this matter. That’s up to you, I’m not going to lead you to it.

Once you put away the racism card, you may understand the real reasons. I’m specifically referring to the disparity in wealth, education, health and social standing that you mentioned.

Please don’t respond with, “provide proof.” I’m just here to state you are wrong. If you decide to pursue that lead or get indignant at me is all you.
I'm just here to state you're wrong, but I'm not going to tell you how you're wrong, you'll just have to figure that out :rolleyes:

Classic moment in a show full of great moments.
The ensemble for DS9 was Amazing. Several years ago I planned to watch the big ST series (TOS, TNG, DS9) in order start to finish. I only recently finished with DS9.
I already had the impression that DS9 was best, but watching them all in order only solidified that. TOS was a little tedious to get through, TNG had some great standalone episodes (but LOTs of filler), but DS9 had a great arc, and fantastic ensemble.
The secondary DS9 cast was better than the most of the main cast in TNG: Quark and Garek were amazing, Dukat and Dumar were great. Hell Vic on the Holodeck was better than many TNG regulars.
It kills me that CBS isn't going to give it the HD treatment. Fucking kickstart it. I'll put up 100/season for HD (or better still UHD). Allegedly they have a lot of the FX in HD already.

Sadly TNG didn't sell well...which I get, because I had no interest in buying it again...but DS9...oh DS9. I'd watch it now if it my DVDs weren't so awful looking.

I don't understand this comment either. I watch this show on cable TV and it's awesome. Why are there so many comments suggesting that the only way to watch this is through the CBS streaming app?
Where do you live? AFAIK, in the US, it's only on CBS All Access. In Europe it's on Netflix. Not sure about the rest of the world.

I don't think you understand how much time a generation is. Not even my great grandparents were alive 150 years ago. So I highly doubt anyone has a grandparent who was a slave.
There are people older than 100 years of age. Someone born in 1910 (just an example) could have a father who was a slave and could have a child that's still alive.

A man born into slavery in 1864 could have had a kid in 1924 (or later for that matter). That person could absolutely be alive today, so while I can't prove it one way or the other, it's no unrealistic for someone to be alive who's father was a slave. Mother would be far less likely.

It kills me that CBS isn't going to give it the HD treatment. Fucking kickstart it. I'll put up 100/season for HD (or better still UHD). Allegedly they have a lot of the FX in HD already.

Sadly TNG didn't sell well...which I get, because I had no interest in buying it again...but DS9...oh DS9. I'd watch it now if it my DVDs weren't so awful looking.

Yeah it's too bad, but economics drive this, and TNG not making enough money was the death of DS9 upgrade, especially considering the trend away from people buying disks anymore at all. It would be much worse for DS9.

From what I read, I don't think they have very much in the way of high res effects, it would pretty much be a redo on the effects.

It would take something creative to get this done. Maybe they could get Netfix to kick in some funding for a few years of exclusive broadcast.

Yeah it's too bad, but economics drive this, and TNG not making enough money was the death of DS9 upgrade, especially considering the trend away from people buying disks anymore at all. It would be much worse for DS9.
From what I read, I don't think they have very much in the way of high res effects, it would pretty much be a redo on the effects.
It would take something creative to get this done. Maybe they could get Netfix to kick in some funding for a few years of exclusive broadcast.

I'd certainly be down with that, but they could do that on their own as well, if All Access ever takes off. It's that type of thing that'd get be to (theoretically) subscribe, though I'd be more likely to buy the disks. If the DVD's were higher quality, I wouldn't even worry about HD, but they're really low res.
I say Kickstart it (and work with Netflix too) I really want to watch that show again...and I may suffer through low quality one of these days. I held out before because I thought there was achance of getting an HD release.

I'd certainly be down with that, but they could do that on their own as well, if All Access ever takes off. It's that type of thing that'd get be to (theoretically) subscribe, though I'd be more likely to buy the disks. If the DVD's were higher quality, I wouldn't even worry about HD, but they're really low res.
I say Kickstart it (and work with Netflix too) I really want to watch that show again...and I may suffer through low quality one of these days. I held out before because I thought there was achance of getting an HD release.

Yeah it isn't even as good, as a decent source on DVD, because at that time, they scanned to Video Tape and did all the effects and editing on video tape, it made for really crap quality. It also means it would be even more work than TNG to redo it.

CBS isn't even using the remasters of TNG for All-Access streaming. I ponied up the $10 to binge Discovery and decided to watch a few TNG episodes as well. Encounter at Farpoint was the remaster but several of the season 3 episodes were not and looked like crap. I ended up turning on my media server to watch the TNG episodes that I ripped from my BDs.

As far as Discovery. I understand what they are trying to do and understand I'm no longer in the demographics they are aiming for... under 45 and a progressive. The biggest peeves I have are the re-imagined Klingons ( their mannerisms ) and the sloppy writing. The FX are definitely propping up the show. My favorite character by far is Lorca. He is a devious SOB, which seems to be the acceptable way to portray white males >45 years old these days.

CBS isn't even using the remasters of TNG for All-Access streaming. I ponied up the $10 to binge Discovery and decided to watch a few TNG episodes as well. Encounter at Farpoint was the remaster but several of the season 3 episodes were not and looked like crap. I ended up turning on my media server to watch the TNG episodes that I ripped from my BDs.

As far as Discovery. I understand what they are trying to do and understand I'm no longer in the demographics they are aiming for... under 45 and a progressive. The biggest peeves I have are the re-imagined Klingons ( their mannerisms ) and the sloppy writing. The FX are definitely propping up the show. My favorite character by far is Lorca. He is a devious SOB, which seems to be the acceptable way to portray white males >45 years old these days.

Yes as a subscriber to CBS all access I was pissed at how bad the other star trek series look. Netflix and Amazon look so much better, and the best TOS is on BBC america now which has filled my DVR. Annoying the owner of that content can't get it right. The horizontal interlacing on cbs all access star trek content is awful as well. Gonna be canceling tonight when I finish watching discovery.

I agree it was an issue, but the problem with voyager comes down to writers and Rick Berman. I think Brannon Braga was a big part of the problem too, but I can't prove that. It should have been a great show and if it'd been in the hands of someone like Ronald Moore, it probably would have been.

I was dubious of Voyager when it first came out. In fact I didn't watch it for several years. I was quite certain I had no desire to watch a show with a woman captain. But I eventually gave it a shot. After I gave it some time to grow on me, I found I actually liked the show quite alot. And Capt Janeway became one of my favorite. She was the perfect female captain. She wasn't too feminine, and she didn't posture and try to overdo it like some characters are written, as if they need to overcompensate for having ovaries. God I hate those kinds of characters. In the end I like Voyager right behind TNG for my favorite Star Trek.

p.s.s. Last time I checked it was also American culture.
Barely. It was a transplant from European countries, like much else. "American" culture grew to distance itself from its largely European heritage and become its own. Slavery not being on them; as unlike many African countries TODAY, it was abolished. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_contemporary_Africa

One need only look at any and every other country in the world to see how "institutional racism" or "slavery" or whatever else excuse isn't the reason for poor outcomes, violent crime rates, or low test/iq scores.

But please, continue on with your excuses. That'll surely change the world for the better (y)

-----------------

As far as Star Trek goes, I haven't watched Discovery (yet?) but I do enjoy the Orville. Though it might get old copying the TNG + sarcasm formula.

I ask this in all seriousness because this is a thread that by definition/topic is about Star Trek Discovery and it taking a few weeks of hiatus in the fall break:

How the fuck did the African slave trade get into this discussion? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Paramount hasn't done anything good with the IP in like 20 years. I'm not sure what people expected beyond the garbage this show is.

Yeah it isn't even as good, as a decent source on DVD, because at that time, they scanned to Video Tape and did all the effects and editing on video tape, it made for really crap quality. It also means it would be even more work than TNG to redo it.
I thought all the TNG editing was on Videotape too. That said, if they don't have HD effects, then it'd be harder, because I think there's a lot more visual FX on DS9 than any of the other treks, especially from S4 or S5 to the end.

Jesus dude, you read way too much into it. He's a devious captain, his age is irrelevant. I don't even know why you're thinking about that. What's more, we don't know why he is how he is, though we know somehting happened during his last command.

Sorry, but his age and sex are literally irrelevant to the story. In fact, there's really no character on the show whose sex matters. Maybe we should whine about Michael being portrayed as insubordinate as a stereotype of black people, but that's also irrelevant. She doesn't have to be black, she just happens to be. He doesn't have to be white or over 45, he just happens to be.

Edit: removed bit about Paramount/CBS...apparently they aren't the same company anymore

Yes as a subscriber to CBS all access I was pissed at how bad the other star trek series look. Netflix and Amazon look so much better, and the best TOS is on BBC america now which has filled my DVR. Annoying the owner of that content can't get it right. The horizontal interlacing on cbs all access star trek content is awful as well. Gonna be canceling tonight when I finish watching discovery.
I've read they aren't in 5.1 either, which is pathetic. They should drop the price to 4 bucks/month with no commercials until they get their shit together.

Last edited:
Canada. Thanks for clarifying, I didn't expect the show to be so locked down elsewhere. Weird.
Sounds like everywhere but US and Canada get it from Netflix, which is better than your option and ours. CBS really needs to get their shit together. 10 bucks/month without 5.1 is no sale, no matter how much content you have (and they don't have much).

A lot of people giving this show crap for unknown reasons.
For a Star Trek series, it is the best since The Next Generation.

I am trying to nug through Voyager on Netflix as I type this, and boy, is it as boring as ever.
I gave up on trying to get through DS9. It was terrible then, and is terrible now.
The Next Generation still stands the test of time.

Today's episode was the best yet. One of the better Trek episodes of any series.

So it gets better? I gave up after about 15 mins into the first show, it was just one stupid thing after another: Oh, our normal instruments don't work, so let's use an antique hand telescope instead of the enormous telescope they have down in navigation, oh, the radiation is too dangerous for the ship, then lets send a human in a space suit, oh, her DNA will turn to gloop after 20 mins, then just send her in for 19 mins, oh, the Klingons are a warrior race but bumping into one kills him, oh, the anti-DNA-glooping medicine still hasn't worked, then let's run to the bridge instead of staying in sick bay and using a fucking intercom.

I coudn't take any more after that, even though I was so pumped for new Trek. :(

Reactions: Liver
like this
So it gets better? I gave up after about 15 mins into the first show, it was just one stupid thing after another: Oh, our normal instruments don't work, so let's use an antique hand telescope instead of the enormous telescope they have down in navigation, oh, the radiation is too dangerous for the ship, then lets send a human in a space suit, oh, her DNA will turn to gloop after 20 mins, then just send her in for 19 mins, oh, the Klingons are a warrior race but bumping into one kills him, oh, the anti-DNA-glooping medicine still hasn't worked, then let's run to the bridge instead of staying in sick bay and using a fucking intercom.

I coudn't take any more after that, even though I was so pumped for new Trek. :(
The first 2 episodes were almost like their own show ... really a prequel. It's pretty obvious someone else was in charge because even a few episodes in its a different show.

STD is great science fiction ... but it is not Star Trek. You simply cannot slap a "Star Trek" label on a show and make it ST. There are too many inconsistencies, timeline errors, technology mis-matches, excessive special effects with minimal/inferior human acting for this (IMHO) to be considered Star Trek.

I wonder ... out of 100 people who watch this show, how many are actually paying to do so?

I ask this in all seriousness because this is a thread that by definition/topic is about Star Trek Discovery and it taking a few weeks of hiatus in the fall break:

How the fuck did the African slave trade get into this discussion? :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Lots of butthurt over Michael Burnham by old white guys.

Lots of butthurt over Michael Burnham by old white guys.
Do they not like DS9?

I can get why people are butt hurt about following one character rather than an ensemble cast (I prefer the ensemble as well), but other reasons are pathetic.

Do they not like DS9?

I can get why people are butt hurt about following one character rather than an ensemble cast (I prefer the ensemble as well), but other reasons are pathetic.

Honestly I ignored most of the drivel as it was mainly rehashing talking points they picked up from others. I think one or two claimed they liked DS9. :rolleyes:

are you SERIOUS? sonofa.........

Yep. I have been watching it on Netflix. I'm not quite done with the last season. I was watching an episode and went to Google one of the characters to see what else they have played in. Right on the first search page I see a search hit that stated it had been cancelled. I am really bummed. It would be great if Netflix would pick it up, but I am afraid it may not have had a large enough following. Sorry for the rant but I have been looking for a good space dystopian series and this was filling that. Star Trek does not fill that gap.

I just saw the latest episode of Discovery and I gotta say if the level of writing keeps up then this show is definitely falling back into a Star Trek groove (almost DS9/Voyager feel) and I'm really liking it.

my only complaint about the new star trek is I cant watch it. Even though I get CBS, I cannot watch the show. Not paying an additional fee to CBS to watch one show when I already pay extra to get the local channels, which includes CBS

Do they not like DS9?

It SEEMS like it's becoming much more of an ensemble.

I'd wager people were equally upset with DS9 and Voyager, but it was a lot tougher to find other people to feed their anger back when those shows came out. Now it's far too easy to find other people to validate your opinion.

Back