Star Trek: Discovery Will Return on January 7th, 2018

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
CBS will air Star Trek: Discovery’s last episode of 2017, “Into the Forest I Go,” on Sunday, November 12th. After it airs, fans will have to wait until the new year to see what happens next. Fortunately, the hiatus won’t be that long: the show will return on January 7th.

The second chapter of Star Trek; Discovery begins with episode 10, “Despite Yourself”: While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented forces and return home.

Apparently they moved it up, I last heard it was returning later in the month (still January 2018) and now it's basically 2 weeks earlier, interesting. I'm keeping up with it more as a form of morbid curiosity since I don't like it overall, it's too dark IMO and just not what or where Star Trek should be doing or going but things are different nowadays. Personally I like "The Orville" much much better. ;)

Being a long time Trek fan I probably would have checked it out and made my own judgements about the show.....but they released it on all access. I have absolutely no interest in picking up another service just to watch one show.

Being a long time Trek fan I probably would have checked it out and made my own judgements about the show.....but they released it on all access. I have absolutely no interest in picking up another service just to watch one show.
Some things are meant to torrent.
I'm keeping up with it more as a form of morbid curiosity ... ;)
Thats the same reason I'm watching The Orville.

There are other ways to view it. It didn't catch me at first but after a few episodes I grew to like it enough to keep watch. I think it is worth giving a chance.

First Star Trek series I haven't watched. After reading the reviews, I decided it wasn't even worth torrenting.

Personally I like "The Orville" much much better. ;)

First few Orville shows where pretty bad (way to much Hollywood PC and not funny bathroom comedy), but they seem to be improving.
Figure I'll give them a few more shows before I decide to remove it from my DRV list :D

the social butchering of ST and what it really used to stand for is what he's talking about. It's a mockery by hollywood virtue signalers, and not a good show in its own right.

It's almost as if viewers have forgotten when ST:TOS aired. The show was highly controversial for the day.
ST:ToS was one of the first TV shows to show a Black Female in a position of power, let alone showing a Black woman as being competent at all.

Also, let's not forget when ST:ToS originally aired.
MLK Jr. was still alive when ST:ToS aired.

That's basically my issue with it as well.
If I could watch it on Netflix, without having to go through hoops, then I would have watched it.

And if you try and watch it on CBS's net service, they are going to PLASTER their logo on the video and SHOVE commercials when you are already paying $10/mo for their service...
That is totally unacceptable for a paid service.

It's almost as if viewers have forgotten when ST:TOS aired. The show was highly controversial for the day.
ST:ToS was one of the first TV shows to show a Black Female in a position of power, let alone showing a Black woman as being competent at all.

There is a difference, ToS didn't really ram it down your throut in a ham fisted manner.

When the agenda is being pushed over quality of plot, characters, and acting, its a problem.

I gave up after 4 episodes, might revisit in a year on a boring sunday.

the social butchering of ST and what it really used to stand for is what he's talking about. It's a mockery by hollywood virtue signalers, and not a good show in its own right.

ST has always been about social justice and unity, regardless of your race/religion/sex. the fuck alternate universe have you been subscribed to?! its literally the fucking primary theme of the entire universe. now because soup nazi's are in style people feel all snowflakey when presented with themes that have existed in this show since it was founded by gene in the 60's what the shit?!

Last edited:

Correct, but she wasn't made the lead character simply because of the color of her skin or her sexual orientation, nor did anyone talk about the show's politics and social justice backbone at every opportunity, they let the superior writing
of D.C. Fontana and others do that job, and as a result everyone who was going to love it, loved it. And nobody was turned-off by a brow-beating message comparing it to the "life and times of the late 60's". They did it, they let people
take it for what it was, they moved on. It became legendary and then later people said "You know, it snuck a lot of moral messages into its episodes about fairness, about equality...". And we were all made better for it.

Comparatively, Discovery had two separate PR messages: You can't watch this show unless you pay $10 bucks a month to watch it online, and you shouldn't watch the show unless you're a paying member of AntiFa (exaggeration but you get the point).
The non-stop preaching about the shows moral message was enough to make me move on....felt to much like being forced to go to Church. I'll catch it some-day, I'm sure it will be reasonable, but their shitty marketing and paywall
subscription made me just hunt for when The Expanse S2 was going to hit Prime even harder.

There is a difference, ToS didn't really ram it down your throut in a ham fisted manner.

When the agenda is being pushed over quality of plot, characters, and acting, its a problem.

I gave up after 4 episodes, might revisit in a year on a boring sunday.

Umm...What are you talking about? TOS, and early TNG, rammed stuff down your throat constantly. Several episodes of TOS were devoted to social issues of the time and showing how much better the people of the future were. Early TNG was much worse about it, but TOS could get very preachy as well. However, TOS usually did it well. It would get preachy but it would try to do it in a way that didn't treat the audience as if they were all terrible people that could never change and were bad just because they had been born. Let's not pretend that TOS didn't have an agenda as well. Roddenberry created a great sci-fi world, but he also used the show to push his idea of the perfect future and how he thought humanity should be. He used the sci-fi setting to distance the show for the modern, at the time, era and used it to commentate on the world. Trek has always been about social commentary, most of the best science fiction is. Discovery just does a piss poor job of it.

So many whiners.

I wasn't born when the original series came out but I'll bet my bottom dollar people said the same damn thing back then too.

The show itself is fine. It isn't as good as TNG, but it's certainly better than Enterprise.

I thought season 3 was where it really started to find its footing.

I love TNG, but I'm well aware the first 2 seasons weren't so great.

funny thing, i loved enterprise and i thought season 3 was the worst. different tastes.

i'm rather enjoying ST discovery. it's far from perfect, but still not bad. i'm not a typical trek fan though...more of a sci-fi fan in general and i like to see something different. so when i saw enterprise i liked it simply because it wasn't like the other trek series that had been (in my opinion) firmly beaten into the ground. same with discovery. i do feel that it might be too different, even if that doesn't bother me much. it almost doesn't feel like ST anymore in my mind. i'm quite fine with that, but i am almost feeling like it shouldn't have been called ST to begin with! oh well, i'll enjoy it for what it is.

funny thing, i loved enterprise and i thought season 3 was the worst. different tastes.

i'm rather enjoying ST discovery. it's far from perfect, but still not bad. i'm not a typical trek fan though...more of a sci-fi fan in general and i like to see something different. so when i saw enterprise i liked it simply because it wasn't like the other trek series that had been (in my opinion) firmly beaten into the ground. same with discovery. i do feel that it might be too different, even if that doesn't bother me much. it almost doesn't feel like ST anymore in my mind. i'm quite fine with that, but i am almost feeling like it shouldn't have been called ST to begin with! oh well, i'll enjoy it for what it is.

My biggest problem with Discovery is Martin-Green's character. She belongs in someone's bad self-insert fanfiction and has no place in a Trek series. She is the most unlikable main character I can ever recall from a Trek series. They should have kept Michelle Yeoh as the lead and centered the series around her.

Wow, seriously, everybody needs to calm down. First of all, as for the CBS All Access fee, you don't have to pay it if you don't want; just google the show and there are innumerable places you can download it from without having to go through the torrent hassle. (OK, I'm assuming everyone here is sophisticated enough to avoid clicking on the fake ads and malware baiting sites). Second, maybe its because I'm 67 years old and have seen every Star Trek series and episode since the beginning but the Discovery episodes aren't any better or worse than any of the previous episodes. There have always been episodes and characters that weren't that great and this has never changed. There was also plenty of heavy handedness in previous series and episodes, so the new ones are no worse. Maybe it is darker than previous series and that's a shame, since Roddenburry's original vision was that earth had been through a horrible time in the past and had risen above that, along with the other federation planets. But he's dead and they've chosen not to follow his ideals so we have to get over it and move on. I look at all entertainment as boredom relief, so I don't care that much about the content or any message. If it relieves your boredom,fine; if it doesn't then don't watch and move on to something else.

"CBS will air Star Trek: Discovery’s last episode of 2017"

Please change this to STREAM instead of air. When I first read that line, I thought, "Oh hey, they are airing the first and last episodes!" Nope. Streaming only. Eat a bag of d!cks CBS.

Some things are meant to torrent.
Thats the same reason I'm watching The Orville.

I've watched both.

Discovery had a rough start but it is getting better with each episode. I look forward to seeing where they story is going (much better that Voyager/Enterprise).

Orville is cringe inducing parody of TNG, that gets more cringey as time goes buy, I was just hitting fast forward through this weeks ep. There is no overall story, it's just random episode of the week cringe-fest.

Okay...whatever you guys are having, it must be some good stuff. It's a TV show, like it, don't cool. I think it's good, maybe not great but good. And ST has ALWAYS been about social equality, and has demonstrated such in ALL of it's iterations. I think people are trying way too damn hard to slap labels on shit where it don't belong, go outside and chill.

They should've figured out by now that social justice doesn't sell. But of course they'll blame it on the fans being racist and / or sexist.
Yeah they must be horribly disappointed that the show doubled their subscriber base. As for your SJW whining, no idea what your'e talking about. Does SJW mean a show has non-white male parts.

The first two seasons of TNG are actually my favorites. There's just something about the stories and style I like.
liked them at the time, but when I bought the DVDs, back in the day, I was pretty surprised how inconsistent the stories were. The show, IMO, peaked from S3-S6. S7 was inconsistent, though the last episode was great...but by that time, I felt DS9 was the better show and became the best Trek (though the last half of the finale was just so-so)

Wow, seriously, everybody needs to calm down. First of all, as for the CBS All Access fee, you don't have to pay it if you don't want; just google the show and there are innumerable places you can download it from without having to go through the torrent hassle. (OK, I'm assuming everyone here is sophisticated enough to avoid clicking on the fake ads and malware baiting sites). Second, maybe its because I'm 67 years old and have seen every Star Trek series and episode since the beginning but the Discovery episodes aren't any better or worse than any of the previous episodes. There have always been episodes and characters that weren't that great and this has never changed. There was also plenty of heavy handedness in previous series and episodes, so the new ones are no worse. Maybe it is darker than previous series and that's a shame, since Roddenburry's original vision was that earth had been through a horrible time in the past and had risen above that, along with the other federation planets. But he's dead and they've chosen not to follow his ideals so we have to get over it and move on. I look at all entertainment as boredom relief, so I don't care that much about the content or any message. If it relieves your boredom,fine; if it doesn't then don't watch and move on to something else.
I'd argue that given that this is before TOS, there's room for the world to still be messed up. It's not like TOS was a perfect world. It often mirrored cold war politics, which implies there was an actual war before that.

I'd argue that given that this is before TOS, there's room for the world to still be messed up. It's not like TOS was a perfect world. It often mirrored cold war politics, which implies there was an actual war before that.

From what I remember, TOS spoke of the Eugenics wars and Khan, and the DS9 series pretty firmly established that there was a devastating world war in the 21st century. This led to the post war setting that we see in the 8th movie First Contact, which then ends with a new age due to meeting the Vulcans. This later evolved in the Enterprise series, where there's one episode exploring the need for what eventually became the Prime Directive. Although TOS wasn't perfect, they still had the ideals of the Federation, which seem to be missing in Discovery. It seems like Discovery is being set up as a war time only series, with the start of the Klingon war and the siege mentality. This is darker than TOS and Next Generation, although somewhat similar to the DS9 wartime of the Dominion war. But there's definitely less emphasis on Federation ideals than TOS.

I'm actually enjoying both Discovery and Orville. The difference is I'm not one of those nut jobs that needs everything to follow canon or be like the previous shows :p I also don't follow creator or producer comments, keep up with show social media posts, etc. I tune into the shows and watch them for themselves and then move on.
With that said, I like the darker side of Discovery. I always felt ST in general was way too "pie in the sky".

I haven't seen Discovery yet but from what Ive read if they might as well be starting from the mirror universe. If that turns out to be the case I might give it a try but otherwise it sounds way too in-Star Trek to me.

The first two seasons of TNG are actually my favorites. There's just something about the stories and style I like.

I'll agree that there are some good stories mixed in there, but the pilot Farpoint was awful IMO as was Dr Crusher in S1. Then in S2 I thought Dr Pulaski was just terrible. When Crusher came back in S3 she was much better.

Horrible show. Couldn't get past the second episode.

Predictable, shallow, canned, and chalk full of SJW horse shit.

Oh, and the denture clattering of the captain is just mind numbing. How she even manages to keep them from falling out is something of a miracle.

Does SJW mean a show has non-white male parts.

This is quite literally what it means these days. The second you have a non-white character in a leading position in a movie / video game / TV series or whatever, the racists and misogynists crawl out of the woodwork and begin complaining.

The funny thing about all these complaints is that they're baseless. Michael's race and gender are irrelevant to the story, they haven't even been mentioned.

I torrented the first two episode to see if it was worth watching.
It isn't Star Trek. Not worth torrenting and definitely not worth $10 a month to stream.

If it aired on terrestrial broadcast TV, it would be cancelled by season 3.

Back