Star Trek: Discovery Will Return on January 7th, 2018

Iv'e been watching it and I still haven't made my mind up yet. I will keep going an see if I get hooked. I don't like what they have done to the Klingons though, they look like a completely different race to the previous ones (I know somebody will tell me that they changed from the original series etc !!) and their language also seems different (to a non klingon speaker)

IOW, you have no idea what the show is about, because that captain is dead.

Dead? Well that's a step in the right direction. But not enough steps...

Perhaps they should just kill off all the characters and start over.

It's almost as if viewers have forgotten when ST:TOS aired. The show was highly controversial for the day.
ST:ToS was one of the first TV shows to show a Black Female in a position of power, let alone showing a Black woman as being competent at all.
It's absolutely baffling to me that some still doesn't (or refuse to?) get it. For TOS they didn't write a black character with a chip on her shoulder against white people and authority. They've written a communications officer character, and then choose a black actress to portray her. You need to at least acknowledge that before there is any hope of meaningful discussion.
Also, let's not forget when ST:ToS originally aired.
MLK Jr. was still alive when ST:ToS aired.
Sure, and that is supposed to be relevant to this shows awfulness, how exactly?
ST has always been about social justice and unity, regardless of your race/religion/sex. the fuck alternate universe have you been subscribed to?! its literally the fucking primary theme of the entire universe. now because soup nazi's are in style people feel all snowflakey when presented with themes that have existed in this show since it was founded by gene in the 60's what the shit?!
You really don't get it? ST was always about justice, not social justice. It always portrayed people who are equal because they all equally contributed to society. This show, and social justice in general, is about making everyone equal regardless of their contributions and merits. There is a huge difference between being a damn good engineer on the Enterprise D, or a damn good coms officer on the Enterprise A, and being an arrogant, impulsive bitch with no respect for authority, no redeeming values, and reasoned thoughts. And still becoming a first officer very young, because of what? The fact that she's black alone? Like that's supposed to mean something in itself. The very people who think that you should be someone because you're black, are the ones who are being racist. Because they think black people are inferior and are unable to achieve success on their own merits. So them as virtue signalling sjw idiots need to lift them up somehow. That patronizing behaviour is so fucking disgraceful and disgusting that if I were a black person I'd be truly hurt by it.

Yeah they must be horribly disappointed that the show doubled their subscriber base. As for your SJW whining, no idea what your'e talking about. Does SJW mean a show has non-white male parts.
I don't know if you're just trolling, or really that far from understanding reality.
SJW means the overwriting of reason and logic with feelings and pandering. Where ego is more important than the mission. Haven't you seen the first episode? It's riddled with petty bickering between supposedly amazing crew members on the ship, all fighting to polish their own ego, and putting the safety of the crew and the mission as absolutely secondary concerns. Anyone who says this was always the ST way, is out of their minds. ST was always about selflessness, and not about ME ME ME ME ME. And if that's not enough to make the show absolutely horrid (it is for me) they decided to retroactively give Spock a human sister, who was never mentioned before. And they decided to re-design klingons as some abominations and go on record that they're representing white nationalism. Now I have no love for nationalists of any kind. I think nationalism in only slightly less stupid than sjwism. But if that's not a clear indication of the creators agenda then I don't know what you need to be convinced that the show is not about being Star Trek. It's about selling the ideas of social justice under the guise of star trek.

This is quite literally what it means these days. The second you have a non-white character in a leading position in a movie / video game / TV series or whatever, the racists and misogynists crawl out of the woodwork and begin complaining.
You'd like that to be true very much don't you? Why don't you shake hands and pat each other on the back on how well you have figured this out. After all that's the SJW way, ignoring reality because you feel there is some injustice going on, and your feelings are as if you found proof, and you don't even read the actual arguments of those vile people who don't agree with you. C'mon I dare you, read what I've written and refute it. Not by saying "That's not true" because that's meaningless to me, that tells me nothing. If something I've written is incorrect tell me how is it incorrect and what is correct. You know reason.

The funny thing about all these complaints is that they're baseless. Michael's race and gender are irrelevant to the story, they haven't even been mentioned
Michael's character is written so poorly that in a normal ST universe there is no possible way for such an unqualified and unfit officer to ever make it to the rank of commander. Unless it is about "She's black and a woman, so that's a double disadvantage, let's give her the position anyway" It all suddenly makes sense if the character was written by an SJW.
Now who are the misogynists and racists, who think that being black and a women is a disadvantage, or those like me, who thinks it's irrelevant that you're a black women you should still show some respect for the chain of command and your fellow crew members as a first officer. Because in a world without racism and sexism noone is going to let that slide on the basis that you're black or a woman. As that is supposed to be irrelevant (and rightly so).

It's absolutely baffling to me that some still doesn't (or refuse to?) get it. For TOS they didn't write a black character with a chip on her shoulder against white people and authority. They've written a communications officer character, and then choose a black actress to portray her. You need to at least acknowledge that before there is any hope of meaningful discussion.

If you had actually seen the show you'd realize that she doesn't have anything against authority OR white people. She is overwhelmed with the guilt over her actions and is trying to rebuild the shambles of her life. The worst thing you can say about Michael is that she's a Mary Sue, which you could also say about a ton of other ST characters (cough Wesley Crusher).

So many of the comments people are making against Discovery are just thinly veiled attempts to excuse their own racist.

Michael's character is written so poorly that in a normal ST universe there is no possible way for such an unqualified and unfit officer to ever make it to the rank of commander. Unless it is about "She's black and a woman, so that's a double disadvantage, let's give her the position anyway" It all suddenly makes sense if the character was written by an SJW.
Now who are the misogynists and racists, who think that being black and a women is a disadvantage, or those like me, who thinks it's irrelevant that you're a black women you should still show some respect for the chain of command and your fellow crew members as a first officer. Because in a world without racism and sexism noone is going to let that slide on the basis that you're black or a woman. As that is supposed to be irrelevant (and rightly so).

Every single character in Voyager was written worse than Michael, but i imagine they didn't piss you off this much.

It's also interesting that despite the massive disparity of wealth and education between blacks and whites (setting aside gender for a moment) that you can't accept that blacks are disadvantaged. Within the ST universe her race and gender are irrelevant, outside of the universe that's far from the truth so I applaud the efforts of the creators of this show.

I've watched all the ST shows over the years and watched some several times over.

I really enjoy this show too. More so than many of the previous types. It has good changes.

Some folks over analyse stuff. Be offended by stuff that should really offend you, not trivia like a TV show.

If I see folks getting really upset over a TV show then to me that shows a stunning lack of maturity.

Just go "Ahh well that's not for me! I'll watch something else!" and move on.

The two things that piss me off with this depiction of the ST universe is

1) damn spore drive !
2) the facing Klingons

The worst bit is they producers keep saying they are canon. Now I'm not a trekie (more starwars and WoT/Dune fan) but consistency is important. The only hint so far as to why spore drives are not in any other series has been the entire ship can't go into a nebula otherwise it will blow up, means to control where they go can't easily be reproduced

The Klingons however.... How the hell are they going to explain them 1st becoming more human like (remember that's what TOS had) to then feed into the headridges that were "explained" by some virus.

It's a pretty good show. The only boring episode so far was the time loop one. I've watched too many better time loop episodes.

I’m enjoying the show so far the darker, grittier side of Trek is a nice change imo. The Klingons are quite different, but I actually like the new look and the very tribal nature of the species.

As to what I think we will see in next episode:

I find it strange how quickly Lt Ash was trusted I never had a good feeling about him. The fan theory that he is actually the albino Klingon Voq makes a lot of sense.

Lorca keeps a tribble on his desk, tribbles hate klingons, I’m betting it sniffs out Voq.

It is interesting how anything that requires the tiniest bit of empathy or tolerance is now being labeled as SJW. Are you really even a fan of trek if these concepts are foreign to you? Star Trek has always centred around these themes.

Last edited:
If you had actually seen the show you'd realize that she doesn't have anything against authority OR white people. She is overwhelmed with the guilt over her actions and is trying to rebuild the shambles of her life. The worst thing you can say about Michael is that she's a Mary Sue, which you could also say about a ton of other ST characters (cough Wesley Crusher).

So many of the comments people are making against Discovery are just thinly veiled attempts to excuse their own racist.
I've actually seen it, and she's acting irrationally, impulsively, and selfishly many times, not to mention anyone who prefers feelings over facts and reason could never get to become a first officer. Wesley was annoying, but not dumb, and held no position in the crew, so why bring him up? I know the SJW way is to say that whoever doesn't like it is racist, but it doesn't work. Don't you get it? Some of my favorite shows have black leads, and I have no problem with that whatsoever. Trying to blame everything on racism is intellectual laziness. It's your get out of the argument free card. "Can you call the person racist or misogynist? - Then you don't have to address their points!"

Every single character in Voyager was written worse than Michael, but i imagine they didn't piss you off this much.
Oh the tar pit of blanket statements. Actually the characters of voyager were very well written, the problem on occasion was the story there, ok except maybe for Kes. And since I'm misogynist I should've hated Voyager since it has a female captain. Or am I only a misogynist when it fits your narrative? How quaint.

It's also interesting that despite the massive disparity of wealth and education between blacks and whites (setting aside gender for a moment) that you can't accept that blacks are disadvantaged. Within the ST universe her race and gender are irrelevant, outside of the universe that's far from the truth so I applaud the efforts of the creators of this show.
What's more interesting is that in this argument asians never get a mention. They're much better educated and more wealthy than white people. So why is it white people's fault? If it's "systemic racism" as SJWs claim, then we're not doing a very good job letting the asians slip trough the net.

For the hundredth time, blacks are not disadvantaged because they're black, if you think that you're the racist one. Many of them come from poor families, which is a disadvantage, but 1. it's not a rule affecting all blacks, 2. it's not because of systemic racism set up by white people. 3. Telling poor black people to blame white people for their problems is not helping anyone, in fact it prevents them from actually trying to help themselves. "Oh it's not our fault, then there is nothing we can do about it either!" And on top the nazis did the same thing before WWII telling the german working class that all their problems were caused by the jews. Those who don't learn from past mistakes are bound to repeat them.

I’m enjoying the show so far the darker, grittier side of Trek is a nice change imo. The Klingons are quite different, but I actually like the new look and the very tribal nature of the species.

As to what I think we will see in next episode:

I find it strange how quickly Lt Ash was trusted I never had a good feeling about him. The fan theory that he is actually the albino Klingon Voq makes a lot of sense.

It is interesting how anything that requires the tiniest bit of empathy or tolerance is now being labeled as SJW. Are you really even a fan of trek if these concepts are foreign to you? Star Trek has always centred around these themes.

That's a wild theory lol. On the other hand I tend to under-think today's clever tv hehe. In any case Voq should be larger I think but there's definitely something about that try hard guy. What's his game? If it were real life, I'd think he's the type raping old ladies in dark alleys or something way worse but in Star Trek? Who knows!

I think they should bring Mulgrew on board. I am not a military guy I'd gladly work with an all knowing woman that's running a tight space ship with me on board if you know what I mean. Or at least watch a tv show about it.

Last edited:

What you basically said: "Some of my best friends are black! I can't be racist."

Blacks ARE disadvantaged because of their race. There are still people alive today whose grandparents were slaves for Christ sake.

What were your grandparents' grandparents doing 150 years ago? I bet it wasn't getting whipped out in a field or strung up from a tree....

In a vacuum, you are correct, race is irrelevant. Outside of melanin production, there are no significant biological differences between blacks and whites, on that we agree 100%.

But let me ask you, now that we've both agreed that blacks and whites are biological equals, how can you explain the disparity in wealth, education, health, and social standing between blacks and whites?

The answer, is of course, racism.

edit: regarding the Asian stuff, sure they've been successful, they didn't have their culture deconstructed to service someone else. This extends beyond slavery and to colonialism in general.

I'm really liking it!!! Someone said that they thought that Discovery was part of Section 31 which makes sense. I didn't care for the pilot episode/movie but the 2nd episode the following week got me hooked

How simplistic, almost childlike in the simplicity. It’s not racism that caused all that. You have to dig deeper to get educated on this matter. That’s up to you, I’m not going to lead you to it.

Once you put away the racism card, you may understand the real reasons. I’m specifically referring to the disparity in wealth, education, health and social standing that you mentioned.

Please don’t respond with, “provide proof.” I’m just here to state you are wrong. If you decide to pursue that lead or get indignant at me is all you.

How simplistic, almost childlike in the simplicity. It’s not racism that caused all that. You have to dig deeper to get educated on this matter. That’s up to you, I’m not going to lead you to it.

Once you put away the racism card, you may understand the real reasons. I’m specifically referring to the disparity in wealth, education, health and social standing that you mentioned.

Please don’t respond with, “provide proof.” I’m just here to state you are wrong. If you decide to pursue that lead or get indignant at me is all you.

I'm assuming your talking to me. I have no idea what you're saying or whether your agreeing or disagreeing with what I wrote so I'm not sure how to respond.

People DID make a big deal, because I remember. And there wasn't social media back then to make it seem so prevalent.

Janeway was a female captain and Tuvok as a black vulcan. There were no "HELL NO SHE'S A WOMAN" protests, nobody boycotted the show because Tuvok sucked....because he didn't, he was like...the only relevant character on that entire show :D

Nobody gave a shit after Avery Brooks was cast as the captain for DS9, we said "Wait, the guy who played HAWK from Spencer For Hire!? YESSSSS!" and he basically made the show watchable.

No, you know who people hated on DS9? The one people kind of got sick of really, really quickly?

Right. Kira Neres...the wont-shut-up-about-Bajorian-suffering SJW of the 23rd century or whenever the show takes place. The Universe could be imploding and the station falling apart and sparks flying but none of that mattered because their suffering was IRRELEVANT compared to the SUFFERING ENDURED BY THE BAJORAN PEOPLE DURING THE OCCUPATION OF THE VILE, UNTRUSTWORTHY SCUM CARDASSIANS!".

*groan*

Star Trek really can predict the future......

PS: before the banhammer comes down, this isn't directed at anyone on this thread or anyone in general, it's an observation I had about the show as I experienced it (as well as friends I had) at the time, any Season 1 modern Trek show is groan-worthy......angry people on TV shows are never a good thing, fortunately they toned Kira's character down and people dug her after that, but season one she's basically balling a fist at everything from space ships in her sector to getting space corn instead of space peas at Quarks......it was like she was in eternal menopause or the drunk guy you know who blames all his failures on other people and not, you know, his drinking. Irritability is not a likable trait in TV characters..or life... :)

(PS: I didn't think Janeway was all that bad, she kept her shit together which is what leaders need to do, its the poor storytelling and lack of actual drama/mental breakdowns from that "Road Rules/Real World" Cast they cobbled together that killed that show dead......)

Last edited:
Janeway was a female captain and Tuvok as a black vulcan. There were no "HELL NO SHE'S A WOMAN" protests, nobody boycotted the show because Tuvok sucked....because he didn't, he was like...the only relevant character on that entire show :D

Nobody gave a shit after Avery Brooks was cast as the captain for DS9, we said "Wait, the guy who played HAWK from Spencer For Hire!? YESSSSS!" and he basically made the show watchable.

No, you know who people hated on DS9? The one people kind of got sick of really, really quickly?

Right. Kira Neres...the wont-shut-up-about-Bajorian-suffering SJW of the 23rd century or whenever the show takes place. The Universe could be imploding and the station falling apart and sparks flying but none of that mattered because their suffering was IRRELEVANT compared to the SUFFERING ENDURED BY THE BAJORAN PEOPLE DURING THE OCCUPATION OF THE VILE, UNTRUSTWORTHY SCUM CARDASSIANS!".

*groan*

Star Trek really can predict the future......
PEople didn't go "HELL NO SHE'S A WOMAN" at Janeway, they went HELL NO because she was shit.
There have been plenty of females in senior positions in ST history

The fact that she's black alone? Like that's supposed to mean something in itself. The very people who think that you should be someone because you're black, are the ones who are being racist. Because they think black people are inferior and are unable to achieve success on their own merits. So them as virtue signalling sjw idiots need to lift them up somehow. That patronizing behaviour is so fucking disgraceful and disgusting that if I were a black person I'd be truly hurt by it.

I follow other tech sites and I read the forum posts discussing Discovery on them as well and I didn't see a single post whining about SJW issues, and it never even occured to me. But here the discussion quickly dragged into the mud by a bunch of people that think there is some kind of SJW conspiracy out to get them.

It's fucking sad, that [H] is the tech site has become the home of the Alt-Right Milo Yiannopoulos fanboys. I want to strangle that asshat every time he opens his mouth, and here we are on [H] talking about a SciFi show and we have a bunch of sheep echoing his mindset and vocabulary.

Cesspool politics is ruining [H] as a community IMO.

For all the gloom and doom in this thread, people are forgetting the show has already been renewed for Season 2. There's things I have issue with (Black Alert, Spore Drive being the main things) but overall it's not a bad scifi show.

For all the gloom and doom in this thread, people are forgetting the show has already been renewed for Season 2. There's things I have issue with (Black Alert, Spore Drive being the main things) but overall it's not a bad scifi show.
exactly... sporedrive+ klingons for me

Oh and those QQ that there is a black lead (and I am looking at you M76)

Sisko2375.jpg

For the hundredth time, blacks are not disadvantaged because they're black, if you think that you're the racist one. Many of them come from poor families, which is a disadvantage, but 1. it's not a rule affecting all blacks, 2. it's not because of systemic racism set up by white people. 3. Telling poor black people to blame white people for their problems is not helping anyone, in fact it prevents them from actually trying to help themselves. "Oh it's not our fault, then there is nothing we can do about it either!" And on top the nazis did the same thing before WWII telling the german working class that all their problems were caused by the jews. Those who don't learn from past mistakes are bound to repeat them.

So...Well.....Actually...They kind of are. Its not really a fault of modern US society, but a lot of laws, regulations, and teachings that directly effect black people were drafted by horribly racist people. A lot of modern drug law comes directly from racist propaganda. The government used Mexican Americans and African Americans as scapegoats to get the public behind the banning of marijuana and cocaine. They created fake news stories, that were printed in news papers, they slandered those people and created tons of stereotypes. Crack and powder cocaine are treated almost entirely differently in terms of the law, with crack cocaine having far harsher penalties. Conveniently, the powdered form is what rich white people indulge in more often. Funny how that works out.

FDR's new deal was heavily biased against black Americans and many of the loan and housing policies from that era still exist, preventing African Americans from having the same chances as a white American in the exact same situation.

There is a heavy bias in schooling. Governments don't properly fund many schools in poor neighborhoods, meaning the children there have little chance at a good education. This is especially prevalent in black neighborhoods.

The criminal justice system has issues as well. It's not always intentional, but black people tend to get far harsher penalties than a white person one for the exact same circumstances. Bad teaching of students or officers leads to the belief that black people are inherently more violent and should be punished harder to prevent it. The CJS is filled with people that believe that and enforce it.

Some actual research into this stuff shows that there are some serious problems that do directly effect black Americans and do contribute to their problems. All of their problems are not the fault of modern Americans, but we can't pretend that everything is perfect either.

Reactions: M76
like this
Only seen the 1st episode so far (on netflix even strangely enough) so far like it better then any other star trek series, then again I don't care for the franchise one bit, I like my sci-fi grittier, like alien or firefly.

My absolute favorite scene from DS9, possibly Star Trek in general.

Classic moment in a show full of great moments.

The ensemble for DS9 was Amazing. Several years ago I planned to watch the big ST series (TOS, TNG, DS9) in order start to finish. I only recently finished with DS9.

I already had the impression that DS9 was best, but watching them all in order only solidified that. TOS was a little tedious to get through, TNG had some great standalone episodes (but LOTs of filler), but DS9 had a great arc, and fantastic ensemble.

The secondary DS9 cast was better than the most of the main cast in TNG: Quark and Garek were amazing, Dukat and Dumar were great. Hell Vic on the Holodeck was better than many TNG regulars.

Horrible show. Couldn't get past the second episode.

Predictable, shallow, canned, and chalk full of SJW horse shit.

Oh, and the denture clattering of the captain is just mind numbing. How she even manages to keep them from falling out is something of a miracle.

Since you just referred to the Captain as female, I can tell you haven't actually seen the show past episode 2. Spoilers, the captain is a white guy and a very interesting character.

I torrented the first two episode to see if it was worth watching.
It isn't Star Trek. Not worth torrenting and definitely not worth $10 a month to stream.

If it aired on terrestrial broadcast TV, it would be cancelled by season 3.

I don't understand this comment either. I watch this show on cable TV and it's awesome. Why are there so many comments suggesting that the only way to watch this is through the CBS streaming app?

Like I said, I was just trying to figure out why you were joining the conversation when you so clearly had nothing to add.

Excellent. I’m glad you went that route. I’m glad because you validated my initial opinion of your statements.

I don't understand this comment either. I watch this show on cable TV and it's awesome. Why are there so many comments suggesting that the only way to watch this is through the CBS streaming app?

Because the only way to watch it past episode 2 (at least in the US) is via CBS All-Access.

Nope. I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. That's enough. I tried the CBS All Access mess for the free trial, was not impressed. Someday Discovery will be on DVD at my local library. I can definitely wait.

Excellent. I’m glad you went that route. I’m glad because you validated my initial opinion of your statements.

You're welcome. I'm still not sure what you're initial opinion was but glad I could help.

Nope. I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. That's enough. I tried the CBS All Access mess for the free trial, was not impressed. Someday Discovery will be on DVD at my local library. I can definitely wait.

I was lucky in that I already subscribed to the service that bought the Canadian rights to Discovery. That said, I STILL stream it from 'alternate sources' because CraveTV is limited to standard definition over browsers.

Last edited:
Man, you're so out of touch with reality that I'm going to say it's not only the blacks who suffer from poor education in the US. (Yes I'm assuming you're from the US, as most people on this forum, but I'm happy to be wrong about that)

What you basically said: "Some of my best friends are black! I can't be racist."
You said I hate the show because the lead is black. But my all time favourite show has a black lead, so then why don't I hate that? Am I suffering from some kind of selective racism, you tell me? Or perhaps, maybe I don't judge characters on their skin color, but their portrayal.
Blacks ARE disadvantaged because of their race. There are still people alive today whose grandparents were slaves for Christ sake.

What were your grandparents' grandparents doing 150 years ago? I bet it wasn't getting whipped out in a field or strung up from a tree....
I don't think you understand how much time a generation is. Not even my great grandparents were alive 150 years ago. So I highly doubt anyone has a grandparent who was a slave. Even if you can find a 100 year old person who really had a slave grandparent a retire has no relevance to this argument. We're talking about young adults here, who are still supposedly disadvantaged because of their race.
Guess you also never heard about black on black slavery. (Or white on white for that matter). Or black on white to make things even more interesting. Sure it wasn't commonplace in the US, but it did occur, so don't act as if slavers can only be white people, and slaves could only be black. And somehow slavery is the common sin of all white people today, because it's not.

As for my grandparents, I'd never try to get an advantage based on injustices that happened generations ago to them. How is it? "Hey hire me on instead of him, my grandfather had an official certificate of poverty!" And I'm not making that up, My grandparents had 7 children and they lived in a barn smaller than my living room today, until they were given community housing in the 1950s

In a vacuum, you are correct, race is irrelevant. Outside of melanin production, there are no significant biological differences between blacks and whites, on that we agree 100%.

But let me ask you, now that we've both agreed that blacks and whites are biological equals, how can you explain the disparity in wealth, education, health, and social standing between blacks and whites?

The answer, is of course, racism.
Not in a vacuum. Race is irrelevant period. You can't judge a person based on their race. You can't say black = victim, white = racist. You have to judge everyone on their own merits and background, otherwise you get injustice.
And the cause I already said: poverty, crime and fatherless homes. How is it white racism's fault, that many black fathers leave their children to be raised by single mothers? Also how do you blame black on black crime on white racism? Yeah I know the racist police narrative, but blacks getting killed by police is not a cause, it's a symptom of the higher crime rate is those communities. And if you'd take the time to look at actual statistics you'd find that that compared to arrests made whites are getting killed at a similar rate if they refuse to cooperate with the police during arrests or checks. And here's the other destructive practice of social justice: telling poor black people that the police is racist and out to get them is the worst thing you can do. You indirectly cause the shootings, by inciting them to resist the police.
So instead of blaming white people and racism and causing a race divide. How about starting to look for actual solutions to the real problems, that are internal to the black communities and not caused by some intangible indefinable lingering effect of slavery.

edit: regarding the Asian stuff, sure they've been successful, they didn't have their culture deconstructed to service someone else. This extends beyond slavery and to colonialism in genera
Guess those internment camps were juts fiction then, and the nuclear weapons used on civilian targets was also in some alternate reality. If Japan can prosper after loosing a WW and getting hit with two A bombs just 70 years ago, then it's a little hard to stomach blaming slavery that was going on 150 years ago for the social status of currently living young adults.
Also you act as if this racism is going on still today, but when questioned all you can point to prove that argument is slavery that was going on centuries ago.
But the most baffling thing to me is that the most vocal social justice proponents are college students from high end campuses who are not victims but are in a very privileged position. If it's racism how did they get into those campuses? Why didn't that racism keep them out too?

Last edited:
exactly... sporedrive+ klingons for me

Oh and those QQ that there is a black lead (and I am looking at you M76)

Sisko2375.jpg
Why are you looking at me? What are you suggesting? I have no problem with a black lead. I have a problem with the irrational, arrogant lead.

edit: regarding the Asian stuff, sure they've been successful, they didn't have their culture deconstructed to service someone else. This extends beyond slavery and to colonialism in general.

As someone with just a shred of knowledge about Asian history, I laugh at you. I imagine those with more are scratching their heads in disbelief.

p.s. Slavery is African culture

http://slaveryandremembrance.org/articles/article/?id=A0001
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

1. Its hard to call whether Voyager or Enterprise was worse. Enterprise had two entire bad seasons and part of a 3rd, while every season of Voyager ended up just being okay or average with a lot of good and bad mixed in. Enterprise had the better finale, even though that show really should have been allowed to continue on. I think I'd give a slight edge to Voyager, just on the strength of its captain. I like Scott Bakula, but he struggled to make Archer work and really didn't succeed until season 3. Mulgrew was Janeway from the get go. She felt like a Starfleet captain. The writing for her was abysmal far too often, but I can't say I ever felt she feel to Archer's level of incompetence. Beyond that, its a complete toss-up. 7 of 9 was a much needed addition to Voyager, even if the show did manage to completely ruin the Borg before it finally, mercifully, ended.

2. If the writers wanted to they could have found a way to keep Yeoh around. However, the plot demanded that she needed to die in order to serve Michael's development and the overarching story itself. I don't blame the writers for killing her off, the character made mistakes and there were consequences. Its just a pity that she was the only character I really liked from the Shenzou crew and that she played off the rest of the cast so well. Martin-Green isn't a bad actress, I think she's trying her best to make Michael work, but Yeoh is a commanding presence. From moment one it feels like it should be her show.
Sure, but Yeoh is a typical all "good" captiain similar to Picard and Janeway and that's not where the Federation was at this point. Kirk woudn't have done what Yeoh did. This is a dark show and it's from a darker period in the federation. Now how they manage to explain the loss of this tech that Discovery uses remains to be seen, but they claim they already have that mapped out.

I just don't see any real issues with Michael. She's flawed, but she was right. Yeoh listens to her and she's alive. Simple as that....but this show would be a lot less interesting if Yeoh's Captain is alive. It'd just be another ship flying around the galaxy looking for friendly people to meet. Nothing wrong with that, but trek's done that (more than once).

I suspect Yeoh has little interest in being regular on a TV show. She's a very active actress who makes a ton of money doing movies (allegedly worth $250,000,000). I suspect a weekly show is below her pay grade.

Iv'e been watching it and I still haven't made my mind up yet. I will keep going an see if I get hooked. I don't like what they have done to the Klingons though, they look like a completely different race to the previous ones (I know somebody will tell me that they changed from the original series etc !!) and their language also seems different (to a non klingon speaker)
I doubt the language is different. On the Netflix version, they have klingon subtitles (presumably for Klingon viewers).

As for the change in their look, I don't really care. I get the complaint, but as you said, it's not the first time and it won't be the last.

I don't know if you're just trolling, or really that far from understanding reality.
SJW means the overwriting of reason and logic with feelings and pandering. Where ego is more important than the mission. Haven't you seen the first episode? It's riddled with petty bickering between supposedly amazing crew members on the ship, all fighting to polish their own ego, and putting the safety of the crew and the mission as absolutely secondary concerns. Anyone who says this was always the ST way, is out of their minds. ST was always about selflessness, and not about ME ME ME ME ME. And if that's not enough to make the show absolutely horrid (it is for me) they decided to retroactively give Spock a human sister, who was never mentioned before. And they decided to re-design klingons as some abominations and go on record that they're representing white nationalism. Now I have no love for nationalists of any kind. I think nationalism in only slightly less stupid than sjwism. But if that's not a clear indication of the creators agenda then I don't know what you need to be convinced that the show is not about being Star Trek. It's about selling the ideas of social justice under the guise of star trek.

So SJW is now just a random opinion? I mean I've never heard that SJW had something do do with Ego and mission before. Nor did I know that bickering = SJW. Regardless, it's fucking stupid to judge a show on 1 or 2 episodes. If we do that, then TNG was a shitty show that was cancelled after no more than one season. Spock having a sister is SJW because why? And I hate to break this to you, but 1 the Klingons didn't say anything about white nationalism. 2 if you mean it's implied, well whoopty fucking doo. That's what Science Fiction does. The Klingons were standins for the Russians in TOS and they addressed social issues throughout the run. Same things happened in DS9.

It sounds like you never liked Star Trek, or alternatively you liked it, because you didn't pick up on what they were actually writing about.

The two things that piss me off with this depiction of the ST universe is

1) damn spore drive !
2) the facing Klingons

The worst bit is they producers keep saying they are canon. Now I'm not a trekie (more starwars and WoT/Dune fan) but consistency is important. The only hint so far as to why spore drives are not in any other series has been the entire ship can't go into a nebula otherwise it will blow up, means to control where they go can't easily be reproduced

The Klingons however.... How the hell are they going to explain them 1st becoming more human like (remember that's what TOS had) to then feed into the headridges that were "explained" by some virus.
How did they explain it in TNG? All I recall is Worf saying it was a dark time (or something like that) in the DS9 Tribbles episode. It's makeup. Shit changes. How do they explain that the ship looks more high tech than the one they used in the 1960s? Answer: 2017 techology looks more modern than what they had 50 years ago, and it'd look stupid to have a 23rd century ship look archaic by 21st century standards

Sure, but Yeoh is a typical all "good" captiain similar to Picard and Janeway and that's not where the Federation was at this point. Kirk woudn't have done what Yeoh did. This is a dark show and it's from a darker period in the federation. Now how they manage to explain the loss of this tech that Discovery uses remains to be seen, but they claim they already have that mapped out.

I just don't see any real issues with Michael. She's flawed, but she was right. Yeoh listens to her and she's alive. Simple as that....but this show would be a lot less interesting if Yeoh's Captain is alive. It'd just be another ship flying around the galaxy looking for friendly people to meet. Nothing wrong with that, but trek's done that (more than once).

I suspect Yeoh has little interest in being regular on a TV show. She's a very active actress who makes a ton of money doing movies (allegedly worth $250,000,000). I suspect a weekly show is below her pay grade.

Maybe Michael gets better after the premier. I grabbed that free week CBS is offering for All-Access and I'll give the show another chance to grab me.

It's a pretty good show. The only boring episode so far was the time loop one. I've watched too many better time loop episodes.
That one was OK, but I agree it's been done before. I guess it did show that Stamets could see that loops were happening. I didn't like the last episode. It felt like filler to me, though maybe I'll feel differently going forward. But otherwise, i think the series has been fairly strong. yes the first 2 eps were mostly setup, but that's pretty common with TV shows. The BSG movie that preceded the series was at best so-so to me.

Back