"Star Trek: Discovery" Renewed for Season 3

It seemed like a good idea in the beginning, rightfully so as Star Trek was such a grand brand, but it didn't turn out that way, unfortunately. Star Trek and Star Wars should be money factories of which everyone wants a piece. Now they are both tainted. Star Trek 4 can't get investors, series are in constant production troubles, merchandise based on Prime and Kelvin universe doesn't sell...

I think one of the biggest problems with the Trek movies is that Paramount is trying to turn them into Marvel or Star Wars. Huge budgets for a franchise that does not have billion dollar potential. $185m for Beyond and $190m for Into Darkness were utterly ridiculous. If all the Trek reboots had budgets between 80-100m they could have made some damn good money. I feel like they just need to drop the idea of a Trek 4 and either reboot or advance the timeline to get it away from where Beyond left off. As much as I do like the reboot cast, getting Pine, Quinto, and Zeldana back would cost way too much and I'm not sure if it would be worth doing.

I think one of the biggest problems with the Trek movies is that Paramount is trying to turn them into Marvel or Star Wars. Huge budgets for a franchise that does not have billion dollar potential. $185m for Beyond and $190m for Into Darkness were utterly ridiculous. If all the Trek reboots had budgets between 80-100m they could have made some damn good money. I feel like they just need to drop the idea of a Trek 4 and either reboot or advance the timeline to get it away from where Beyond left off. As much as I do like the reboot cast, getting Pine, Quinto, and Zeldana back would cost way too much and I'm not sure if it would be worth doing.
Agreed. Too expensive and too Star Warsy.

Dropped Picard and pulled most of the funding for STD.

Where is the link to an official announcement or at least a reputable publication (say Variety or the Hollywood reporter, since this is in their domain)? As for picard, Amazon got it. Bottom line is there's already a 4th season of Trek and the 3rd season hasn't even started.

Where is the link to an official announcement or at least a reputable publication (say Variety or the Hollywood reporter, since this is in their domain)? As for picard, Amazon got it. Bottom line is there's already a 4th season of Trek and the 3rd season hasn't even started.
Midnight's Edge are one of the most reputable and proven sources for ST related things, much more so than stated PR pamflets.

Midnight's Edge are one of the most reputable and proven sources for ST related things, much more so than stated PR pamflets.

Midnight's Edge used to be incredibly reliable. I feel like they've lost some of that over the last year-ish. They devolved into little more than outrage drama and reporting fairly dubious rumors. Seems likely some of their big sources stopped talking to them and they've had to rely on some less-reliable ones.

Midnight's Edge used to be incredibly reliable. I feel like they've lost some of that over the last year-ish. They devolved into little more than outrage drama and reporting fairly dubious rumors. Seems likely some of their big sources stopped talking to them and they've had to rely on some less-reliable ones.
Possible, though I'm not aware of any mayor missteps so far.

Ok, yeah. Not much can sink to that level. Have you seen "Another Life" with Katee Sackhoff. It's a challenger for the bottom, and I think it's getting a season 2 as well.
If there something with Katee Sackhoff they need to improve with good acting on other characters (like in BSG) but in this series she's the main character so it's fucked up from the very beginning. She clearly doesn't fit in Scifi series. I can only see her fit as lesbian bar tender female in country living movies.

Agreed. Too expensive and too Star Warsy.
What's wrong with Star Trek is that they pulled all the quite reasonable, logical and materialist behavior, one was expecting from those series, and made it look weird and unbelivable with humanly crazy and irrational people. I'm expecting Picard series to come back from this. The series was very much oriented in that way from the modern thinking in the 60s and refreshed in TNG. I'm not fund of their utopian political system in TNG but there is some personal achievement goal in it that fits very well for educational purpose and good thinking.

If there something with Katee Sackhoff they need to improve with good acting on other characters (like in BSG) but in this series she's the main character so it's fucked up from the very beginning. She clearly doesn't fit in Scifi series. I can only see her fit as lesbian bar tender female in country living movies.

Katee Sackhoff is not a problem here. It's the utterly abysmal writing. Netflix has no quality standards at all, and turns out huge steaming turds like this.

Katee Sackhoff is not a problem here. It's the utterly abysmal writing. Netflix has no quality standards at all, and turns out huge steaming turds like this.
Maybe Apple TV is trying hard to make worse. Should see if they're keeping their line next year but I'm positive they'll do :LOL:.

All I know is these types of stories normally are in trade pubs, cnbc and other financial sites, because it'd be newsworthy. Intead it's on some rando youtube channel video that has a whopping 100k views over 9 months.

All I know is these types of stories normally are in trade pubs, cnbc and other financial sites, because it'd be newsworthy. Intead it's on some rando youtube channel video that has a whopping 100k views over 9 months.
CNN and Fox News have great numbers.

I'm on that line too :
No thanks. Too woke for me from what I hear. Tired of leftist politics in every single show. Even BoJack Horseman had to diss white people in it's final season.

I hope it's going to be watchable. It seems there is hope that it can get better after episode 1.

CNN and Fox News have great numbers.
And a lack of views doesn't make you reputable. Again, if this was real, it'd almost certainly have been all over CNBC, because it's news about both CBS/Viacom and Netflix. And that would LITERALLY be business news if this was true and verifiable.

And a lack of views doesn't make you reputable.
No, but breaking news, credible sources and being proven right time and time again does.

Again, if this was real, it'd almost certainly have been all over CNBC, because it's news about both CBS/Viacom and Netflix. And that would LITERALLY be business news if this was true and verifiable.
It's as if you have no idea how MSM operate. And businessmen and investors don't take their info from PR "news" publications.

It could get a heck of a lot worse. I’d still rank it above the average Voyager episode. It’s not great Trek but at least it’s miles better than Discovery.
It's better than Discovery, but the worst Voyager episode is at least still Star Trek. Picard, good or bad, isn't.

It's better than Discovery, but the worst Voyager episode is at least still Star Trek. Picard, good or bad, isn't.

Thats my impression after the first episode. I'd rather put up with Voyager on its worst day.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Thats my impression after the first episode. I'd rather put up with Voyager on its worst day.

No thanks. I tolerated and forgot Voyager.

I remember favorite episodes of TOS, TNG and DS9. Not an episode that I remember of Voyager that was really good enough that my neurons fired enough to remember it.

Is it my imagination, or at the beginning of Picard episode 3, when a shuttlecraft is landing, just for a second it makes the Jetson's spaceship burble?

Edit: Ok, I found the original sound on YT and no, it's not the same, but it's pretty similar.

Star Trek hasn’t been Star Trek since DS9 ended. Enterprise had its moments, but it still ended up not being “Trek”. And the reboot threw what little Trek was left out the window. I’m resigned to the fact that traditional Trek is dead and anything we get is “in name only”. So I’m not really looking at it as how Trek is it, just whether or not I like it more than the average Voyager episode. As of Ep3 it’s still meeting that mark, but there are some bits really starting to bother me.

Star Trek hasn’t been Star Trek since DS9 ended. Enterprise had its moments, but it still ended up not being “Trek”. And the reboot threw what little Trek was left out the window. I’m resigned to the fact that traditional Trek is dead and anything we get is “in name only”. So I’m not really looking at it as how Trek is it, just whether or not I like it more than the average Voyager episode. As of Ep3 it’s still meeting that mark, but there are some bits really starting to bother me.

Many people complained DS9 wasn't "Star Trek" either. It was too pessimistic, and had too many conflicts.

I couldn't even get through discovery season 2. Done with woke emo crap shows.

Many people complained DS9 wasn't "Star Trek" either. It was too pessimistic, and had too many conflicts.
DS9 was the most dark and gritty a Star Trek show should be. It was also done very well acting, writing, and production wise, while respecting the Star Trek universe and canon.

No, but breaking news, credible sources and being proven right time and time again does.

It's as if you have no idea how MSM operate. And businessmen and investors don't take their info from PR "news" publications.
Well bruh, it's been months since that video came out and nothing. Sorry, but until there's a real news organization that confirms his assertion, it's meaningless drivel. And I can promise you businessmen and investors don't get their info from rando youtube videos. They do get it from places like Barons (no articles on this), WSJ (no articles on this), CNBC (no stories on this), Bloomberg (no articles or stories on this) and countless other business oriented publications. Again, NOBODY has verified this rando video claim and it's been out for just shy of a year, so sees they haven't been proven right.

Meantime, Discovery is doing so poorly it's been renewed for a 4th season before s3 has come out.

Discovery is so terrible it has been renewed for 2 more seasons .... something something SJW.

Reactions: dgz
like this

Scorpion was great too. And a few others. But generally Voyager hadf a lot less good episodes than TNG or DS9, even than ENT seasons 3-4.

Still, all of these four series were overall much better than STD or Picard. They stayed true to the Star Trek spirit and formula.

That is certainly one of Voyager's best episodes and story arcs. However, it falls into the standard time travel tropes of the series. It's both a time travel story and it wraps up neatly at the end with no lasting consequences. As usual, what was a great concept and even a solid execution was marred at the end by everything being reset to the status quo. Even so, it was a shining example of what the show could offer at its best and it was solid Star Trek overall.

Enterprise was mostly a train wreck for similar reasons. Too much time travel nonsense and other tropes that were common to the Berman era of Star Trek. Characters were often rigid and very static as they were in Voyager. Enterprise finally started getting better in seasons 4 and 5, but it was too late by that point and it wasn't enough of a success for the powers that be to keep it going. Les Moonves hated science fiction and it wasn't enough of a ratings draw to keep the show alive.

I have a lot of reverence for TNG and DS9, and overall I think those both had a far higher count of good episodes and generally speaking, their bad episodes weren't as awful as many of the Enterprise and Voyager episodes were. Despite my overall disdain for much of Voyager and Enterprise, I actually find Voyager and Enterprise largely more watchable than Picard or Discovery are. I actually think Picard is in some ways worse than Discovery. The science fiction is easily just as bad and Discovery's third seasons did try and work around allot of the problems its first two seasons created. The bigger problem with Picard is that it was boring. Discovery annoyed me, insulted my intelligence and broke cannon quite often, but it was never boring.

Picard also breaks cannon and insults my intelligence. It's also just as woke and like Discovery, it treats legacy characters badly. Discovery at least had Pike in its second and third season which almost made the show tolerable. He was a positive element to the show. So far, Picard doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Even its latest episode's reunion with Troi and Riker was a mixed bag. It felt like fan service that was carried too far. It was self-indulgent and was designed to pander and placate long time TNG fans who have had trouble connecting to the newer shows. Unfortunately, it largely felt like pointless filler. There is some obvious foreshadowing to something later, which I fear will be a rip off of a scene in TNG's finale. We'll see on that one.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
That is certainly one of Voyager's best episodes and story arcs. However, it falls into the standard time travel tropes of the series. It's both a time travel story and it wraps up neatly at the end with no lasting consequences. As usual, what was a great concept and even a solid execution was marred at the end by everything being reset to the status quo. Even so, it was a shining example of what the show could offer at its best and it was solid Star Trek overall.

Enterprise was mostly a train wreck for similar reasons. Too much time travel nonsense and other tropes that were common to the Berman era of Star Trek. Characters were often rigid and very static as they were in Voyager. Enterprise finally started getting better in seasons 4 and 5, but it was too late by that point and it wasn't enough of a success for the powers that be to keep it going. Les Moonves hated science fiction and it wasn't enough of a ratings draw to keep the show alive.

I have a lot of reverence for TNG and DS9, and overall I think those both had a far higher count of good episodes and generally speaking, their bad episodes weren't as awful as many of the Enterprise and Voyager episodes were. Despite my overall disdain for much of Voyager and Enterprise, I actually find Voyager and Enterprise largely more watchable than Picard or Discovery are. I actually think Picard is in some ways worse than Discovery. The science fiction is easily just as bad and Discovery's third seasons did try and work around allot of the problems its first two seasons created. The bigger problem with Picard is that it was boring. Discovery annoyed me, insulted my intelligence and broke cannon quite often, but it was never boring.

Picard also breaks cannon and insults my intelligence. It's also just as woke and like Discovery, it treats legacy characters badly. Discovery at least had Pike in its second and third season which almost made the show tolerable. He was a positive element to the show. So far, Picard doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Even its latest episode's reunion with Troi and Riker was a mixed bag. It felt like fan service that was carried too far. It was self-indulgent and was designed to pander and placate long time TNG fans who have had trouble connecting to the newer shows. Unfortunately, it largely felt like pointless filler. There is some obvious foreshadowing to something later, which I fear will be a rip off of a scene in TNG's finale. We'll see on that one.
Agree with everything you wrote. I'll add that Enterprise S02E22 "Cogenitor" is my favorite of the series (and probably the most Star Trekky), though S03 is the strongest as a whole. It had potential to be quite good, definitely canceled too soon

Why are you referencing Discovery season 3 when it doesn't even have a premiere date yet?

And I hate to break it to you, but Star Trek has been 'woke' since the start, when Roddenberry went out of his way to have black and Asian people on the Enterprise's bridge. It's just that the complaints are more vociferous now, in an era where some overly entitled white guys shit their pants whenever people mention "diversity."

Discovery is so terrible it has been renewed for 2 more seasons .... something something SJW.

yeah but viewers have gone from 10M/ep to <1M so they are loosing money for the sake of wokeness.

Why are you referencing Discovery season 3 when it doesn't even have a premiere date yet?

And I hate to break it to you, but Star Trek has been 'woke' since the start, when Roddenberry went out of his way to have black and Asian people on the Enterprise's bridge. It's just that the complaints are more vociferous now, in an era where some overly entitled white guys shit their pants whenever people mention "diversity."

Back