“Star Trek 4” Rumored to Feature Female Villain, New Female Hero

To me the only Star Trek 4" is "The Voyage Home" and I still watch it at least once a year. :)

The new movies may look better, but they just feel hollow to me in a lot of ways. Guess that confirms I've reached "old fart" status......

I'm sure that making it a SJW movie will help. It made the Ghostbusters movie awesome!

Hey now. In another timeline, Kirk is female. Just don't go calling her a slut because she sleeps around or a bitch because she's pushy! She's just a sassy, independent woman who knows how to get what she wants.

Not really sure where the "social justice" criticisms of Star Trek come from, there's nothing new about Star Trek and liberal social commentary and character portrayals, that's always been a part of the Star Trek universe.

They were integral to the story, not put there to provide empty virtue signaling - which is what the Ghostbusters reboot was (among other faults too).

If they continue to be there because they are substantive part of the story, then I doubt anyone will notice - just as you pointed out with the original series. What doesn't bode well is that those aspects are being pushed in and of themselves with no further contex.

I didn't hate the one Star Trek caption - Jane Halloway? Think it was Star Trek Voyager. I just hate when they try to force it on us. It doesn't work (at least one me).
Hello, I think the show Jessica Jones is great. You have a female anti-hero. She drinks, makes poor choices, and usually uses her powers for good (from her point of view.) I'm looking forward to season 3.

Lots of hate on these reboots but I've always enjoyed them. That said, I'm not a Trekkie so I don't know their history. I just enjoy them for what they are, summer popcorn flicks.

They were integral to the story, not put there to provide empty virtue signaling - which is what the Ghostbusters reboot was (among other faults too).

The unironic use of the term “virtue signaling” has always read to me as someone projecting.

I didn’t watch the Ghostbusters reboot because I grew up on Ghostbusters and didn’t need more Ghostbusters in 2017. I couldn’t care less if it was women or if the men reprised their roles. I was over it.

If you think that movie was “virtue signaling” then that is your projection.

Like any good business, the movie industry is simply attempting to capitalize on “popular” sentiment in order to maximize profit or gain a competitive edge where it didn’t have one. To think that casting more women in traditionally male roles is anything other than a business move is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Maybe they'll drop Janice Rand back into the crew, Kirk hasn't had a Yeoman in any of those movies. Last time she showed up was in the 20th anniversary episode of Voyager on board the Excelsior.

damn i just found out Anton Yelchin tried to stop a rolling car and died. i thought he was the best version of Chekov. going to be hard to replace him.

Eh, the story I read said that he parked in his driveway and got out of the car, the car rolled back down the driveway and pinned him against his own wall/gate where he succumbed to his injuries.

He didn't try to stop the vehicle, it was literally a freak accident.

Nothing wrong with a female lead and a female villain, so long as we get some fan service. Come on SJW's, meet me half way. Also, throw in some borg for good measure.

3eYDjXF.jpg

damn i just found out Anton Yelchin tried to stop a rolling car and died. i thought he was the best version of Chekov. going to be hard to replace him.

He was leaving for a shoot ( I think ) and stopped to retrieve mail from his mailbox. He apparently neglected to engage the parking break and the car rolled back down towards the mailbox, crushing him between it and the car. It was several hours before they found him after he never showed up at his destination. His parents sued the auto manufacturer and settled out of court. This was the Jeep Grand Cherokee that was subject to a recall for a confusing shifter layout that resulted in some drivers putting the car in neutral instead of park. Well. If you put a car in neutral without engaging the parking break, it is going to roll away.

There was Voyager and not to mention the last known canon Janeway was Admiral and Picard is still just a damn captain after how many years.

Star Trek has always been rather in your face with this sort of thing. They never felt the need to tell you they were though. Which of course causes me to wonder why they feel the need to do that.
I loved Voyager, Kate did awesome as Janeway. Her being a woman never really mattered. It just was. Which is as it should be.

Discovery was the only series that truly sucked. It had nothing to do with it being SJW though, they all have been. They just totally fucked up the Klingons, and a couple members of the main cast were ridiculously unlikeable, and the continued service of one crewperson on the show was not even possible in any military service ever. It badly broke the suspension of disbelief.

This is another case of the makers should just shut up about these things. If the new protag and antag are female, great, who cares. Pointing it out to us as though it should matter to us is both stupid, and sexist. It certainly does not fill me with confidence for the films entertainment value, when people with such poor judgement are making it.

There was Voyager and not to mention the last known canon Janeway was Admiral and Picard is still just a damn captain after how many years.
I suspect that Picard was offered it several times, however Kirk's advice to him was to turn down anything that took him out of the chair in Generations. Presumably he took it to heart.

The Expanse is really good writing. Movies like Annihilation are SJW trash with ridiculous plot lines, horribly written characters and story arcs.

Umm, Annihilation was ignored by the "SJWs" as it wasn't trying to pander, just be.

I can't stand pandering marketing. Or, studios trying to stoke the "toxic flames" to generate ticket sales. I honestly think people that are like that are lower in number than what social media would have you believe. A lot of people just don't care. I don't care. Make a good movie and don't sell it to me as a "revolution." Sorry, you're not a revolution. You're a film. Being good is all you need to be.

But, I can smell your agenda with the comment on Annihilation. You looked for something to hate, because that film was not marketed in anyway to stoke those fires. It got quietly released and sent to die.

It's a good film. Not as good as some would say...but it's good.

Last edited:
Star Trek has always been rather in your face with this sort of thing. They never felt the need to tell you they were though. Which of course causes me to wonder why they feel the need to do that.
I loved Voyager, Kate did awesome as Janeway. Her being a woman never really mattered. It just was. Which is as it should be.

Discovery was the only series that truly sucked. It had nothing to do with it being SJW though, they all have been. They just totally fucked up the Klingons, and a couple members of the main cast were ridiculously unlikeable, and the continued service of one crewperson on the show was not even possible in any military service ever. It badly broke the suspension of disbelief.

This is another case of the makers should just shut up about these things. If the new protag and antag are female, great, who cares. Pointing it out to us as though it should matter to us is both stupid, and sexist. It certainly does not fill me with confidence for the films entertainment value, when people with such poor judgement are making it.

I sort of agree with this. Star Trek has always had an idealistic and therefore "progressive" and even "SJW" viewpoint. This wasn't different in Discovery. Discovery's principle characters were unlikable, and the ones we wanted to know more about were left unused in the background. Still, there is a pay off to many of the seemingly controversial story elements in the earlier episodes. The grittier take and visual aspects of the series were a welcome sight as far as I'm concerned. And as SJW as it is, we also got to see G-string clad Orion women on Q'uonos. So that was unexpected. Let's also be realistic, Star Trek has always struggled with its characters. The original series is really about Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Everyone else is just kind of there during the TV series. TNG had standouts and underutilized characters, but it also had some bland and generally uninspired characters as well. It even had its own Mary Sue in the form of Wesley. DS9 was probably the best series out of all of them character wise and it pulled two from TNG. Voyager had some bad characters with only a couple good ones. ENT was even worse with only two to three good ones.

I'm fine with Chekov's replacement being a woman. This was actually the plan for replacing Sulu in the original films as he was promoted to Captain and Lt. Valeris took his spot in Star Trek VI. This isn't an issue. A female villain is fine too. What I don't want to see is the already badly handled male characters being made weaker to shove a feminist agenda down our throats which seems likely. Those movies are already terrible so I don't have high hopes for the fourth installment.

And that is a result of failed marketing. What I mean is, the movie was marketed as something it wasn't, lo and behold for a SW movie it was a flop. The simple reality is, that when you have a franchise like SW or ST and begin marketing it as something it isn't... the otherwise reliable fanbase(aka $$$$$$) grabs their wallet and runs.
They didn't market Solo as anything other than what it was. Again, if you think it was an SJW movie or it was marketed as one, that's really on you. And FYI, virtually everyone that saw it liked it. Cincema score is A-. IMDB 7.1/10 (or 3.5 stars). Even on RT, where trolls rule the reviews (esp when it comes to movies they perceive as SJW movies (even though in most cases they never saw it)) it was more positive than not.

I won't claim Solo was the greatest movie, but it was fun and it certainly wasn't marketed as you claim. If that's what you think then you probably need to take a look in the mirror, because the movie wasn't marketed as a chick flick or a so called SJW flick. Then again, neither was TFA or TLJ, but hey, the executive producer is a woman, so it must be an SJW flick :rolleyes:

How so? Today's so called leftists demand that things not even remotely recognizable as common sense be thrust upon the core of society, if not through fact or science, than by executive fiat. The problem being pointed out, is that if the film is ALREADY virtue signaling that norms of this film, which were already "boldly going" in questioning certain societal norms, then how is it going to focus on the actual story? Hollywood isnt out of ideas, but none of them get made because in an effort to normalize vastly dissimilar ideological beliefs to the majority, they have to tear down pre-existing norms through media and entertainment.

SO, discounting the fact that so many "remakes" have been wholly worthless to the masses that consume them, how is, yet again, using the same model (insert x, y, x, y "social progressive" agenda here) on top of a preexisting meme of entertainment going to make a GOOD MOVIE? But its okay, calling out the stupidity of the agenda makers in hollywood automatically discounts any dissent as "misogynist". Being that pejorative counter-claim was the first example expressed to the fact that "new" Ghostbusters sucked dick and this model isn't working, maybe you could of found examples of a good remake that exemplifies how so called social justice progress makes movies a better experience for us and our peers; instead of blasting off on a claim that construes moral superiority?
Give me a break. There's not a thing in that article that is SJW (unless SJW just means WOMEN in film have KOODIES) and yet first post is already saying it's SJW...apparently women can't have major roles in Star Trek.

It doesn't matter the sexes of the antagonists or the protagonists, what matters is if it's well written, the characters are relatable, and stays reasonably within cannon. Personally, I don't care about the JJ-verse, I just want to see what they come up with for the Tarantino Star Trek movie. DOES KIRK LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

I won't claim Solo was the greatest movie, but it was fun and it certainly wasn't marketed as you claim. If that's what you think then you probably need to take a look in the mirror, because the movie wasn't marketed as a chick flick or a so called SJW flick. Then again, neither was TFA or TLJ, but hey, the executive producer is a woman, so it must be an SJW flick :rolleyes:
6aw3vw8uep501.jpg

In the immortal words of Arnold Judas Rimmer - “Wrong, wrong, absolutely brimming over with wrongability.”

All I can say is, exhibit A - Star Trek: Discovery.
I rest my case.
Oh yes, it was so SJW. It was literally like every trek in teh past, except with more consistent writing, less fluff and better special effects. Most of the bitching here on [H] wasn't even correct, but I doubt they ever got past the first episode, so they haven't a clue.

Female main crew/cast character added in late in the series... all ya'll complaining about the feminist angle when this would be a perfect opportunity for it to be the re-introduction/reinvention of... Lt. Saavik.

Xp1dYrF.jpg

Didn't know star trek had heroes, thought they were just people doing their job. I mean, sure, occasionally they had some heroic act thrown in, but for the most part it seemed like space politics and warfare with a bit of drama thrown in for good measure.

They didn't market Solo as anything other than what it was. Again, if you think it was an SJW movie or it was marketed as one, that's really on you. And FYI, virtually everyone that saw it liked it. Cincema score is A-. IMDB 7.1/10 (or 3.5 stars). Even on RT, where trolls rule the reviews (esp when it comes to movies they perceive as SJW movies (even though in most cases they never saw it)) it was more positive than not.

Really? It wasn't marketed as an SJW movie? The "this is the first female droid in starwars"(ignoring episodes 1 and 2), the "hey, check out the sexuality of lando!" when it was apparently completely irrelevant. Nope, definitely wasn't bombarded by interview after interview, article after article, and so on for 6 months prior to the premier of the movie about how progressive it was, and then being told for months afterwards that I must hate women, LGBTQ, minority characters, and so on because I'm a toxic misogynist asshole, with Rian Johnson going so far as blaming gamergate in recent weeks.

As far as Rey from episodes 7 and 8, she's a terrible character and it has nothing to do with her being female. With no experience she's an ace pilot, can match an experienced user in a sword battle, manages to be able to mind control people on the first attempt, needed next to no training, has almost no actual character development(Finn has actually had more, but they keep trying to insert Phasma in as if we give crap since that's a character that has done nothing on screen because I guess her scenes keep ending up on the cutting room floor). Even Kylo Ren received some sort of training from Luke in that Jedi summer camp he was running and has likely had a few years of experience using the force working for Snoke. If they had at least shown Rey was relying on the force to survive without knowing what it was, that alone would have added more to the character and avoided her suddenly being able to match a trained force user in combat multiple times. I'm not even going to get into the problems with Vice Admiral Holdo.

Then there's Jyn Erso from Rogue One. The character that had no business being in the movie after the first 20 minutes. Why would the rebels send this untrained, reckless, halfassed, selfish character on one of the most important missions possible... and then another important mission, and then another one? She had no reason to be on the mission to get her father, especially since the real mission was just to assassinate him anyway, she had zero skill to bring and only served as a liability. The only actual purpose she served in that movie, was for Saw Gerrera to have a conversation with since they shoved his character into the movie as a nod to the Clone Wars cartoon, that was it. She never displayed any sort of actual skill, and was frankly the opposite of the problem with Rey from 7 and 8.

But hey, I'm just a misogynist woman hater for wanting main characters in movies to actually be written in ways that are interesting instead of caring about their gender.

Female main crew/cast character added in late in the series... all ya'll complaining about the feminist angle when this would be a perfect opportunity for it to be the re-introduction/reinvention of... Lt. Saavik.
Which would be great, but like I said when they're more interested in telling us that there's going to be a female character, it tells me based on a lot of recent movies that they're going to be more focused on that than having a good character who happens to be female.

I really don't understand this take on how or why people think SJW-ism is ruining muh movies and TV series.
If you don't like it, then you are clearly not the targeted audience.

And since major titles, like Star Trek, are usually targeted to a very broad audience, if it sells lots of tickets, then that would mean the general audience liked it.
However, if it didn't sell very well, then pat yourself on the back for spotting Hollywood trying to be Hollywood. (either that, or the audience got burnt out on the content. e.g. Han Solo)

Back