Star Trek 2 Filming has Begun

You're right, it was better than Wrath of Kahn.

First Contact was definitely the best Next Generation movie. Star Trek stories that go into Federation history are always great. The Enterprise episode "Regeneration" was fantastic. Using the events of First Contact as humanity's first encounter with the Borg was simply brilliant. "Regeneration" was amazing in how it fit the past, present and future into a story that was incredibly cohesive, Star Trek at its finest.

I am excited for the new one. I loved the first remake. I have never been much of a Star Trek fan but I did watch episodes of TNG every now and then as a kid. Abram's reboot made me a little bit bigger fan of ST.

I really liked the reboot. Of course my favorite will always be 1.Wrath of Khan 2. First Contact 3. Generations .... "Time is the fire in which we burn"

They already screwed it up the first time around. I honestly can't understand what people see in JJ Abrams,I think he's one of the most overrated directors around. If he wanted to put his own spin on Trek,he could have shown some real creativity by coming up with a new crew on a new Enterprise in the TNG timeline,not insulting Gene Roddenderry's creation by twisting events to suit his whims.

This.
While the special effects where good, the story had to much of a Hollyweird twist on it.

As long as that hack JJ Abrams is involved Star Trek is dead to me. Everything about the first reboot was wrong.

1.Story was beyond ridiculous.
2. Villain was boring and lame.
3. Spock was great.
4. Engine room a Budweiser brewery? Blasphemy.
5. No Klingons.

First Contact was definitely the best Next Generation movie. Star Trek stories that go into Federation history are always great. The Enterprise episode "Regeneration" was fantastic. Using the events of First Contact as humanity's first encounter with the Borg was simply brilliant. "Regeneration" was amazing in how it fit the past, present and future into a story that was incredibly cohesive, Star Trek at its finest.

Totally forgot about that Enterprise episode, that one was great too.

lol old people. the new star trek movie was great. the original series has not withstood the test of time imo. looking forward to another big-budget scifi movie. tv series usually cannot afford the budget to do scifi right.

lol old people. the new star trek movie was great. the original series has not withstood the test of time imo. looking forward to another big-budget scifi movie. tv series usually cannot afford the budget to do scifi right.

Special effects aside TNG, and DS9 still stand up well. When they release the blu-rays of TNG with updated/redone effects it will make it hold up even better.

These all apply to most Star Trek movies.

QFTFT.

Guys, come on... its a reboot of Star Trek in general... that should be something we all should enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of JJ Abrams, but the work he did on the 2009 Start Trek was rather good.

I personally enjoyed the 'Kirk Star Trek Movies better than the ST:TNG movies... even though I loved the TNG series 100x more than the original Kirk series. Go Figure.

It's something about the dynamic of Kirk and Spock that made the original movies intriguing. That's what the 2009 movie did. It brought back that dynamic.

Personally, I'm probably going to see it opening weekend in an IMAX theater... but if I have to wait, I will.

Special effects aside TNG, and DS9 still stand up well. When they release the blu-rays of TNG with updated/redone effects it will make it hold up even better.

Even some of the original special effects were done well... much of the blue/green screen work (for holodecks and other misc areas. ) looked really good back then and not too shabby now.

I liked the reboot, and it made it a lot easier for me to bring the lady to watch it.

Totally forgot about that Enterprise episode, that one was great too.

Enterprise often went where no man needed to go but when it focused on the rich legacy the Star Trek universe had to offer excelled and it produced some amazing episodes.

did yo guys see r2 d2 when the came out of warp to valcun in the trash floating in space freez fram pic to see and two sub marine in the back ground .:D

If they do a Wrath of Khan remake this just proves that Hollywood has no imagination and doesn't have the ability to do anything new.

That being said I definetly loved the 1st movie and this is coming from someone who watched the origional series when it was on TV 30 years ago and every movie they came out with since then.

I rather enjoyed the reboot and am looking forward to the next installment. Yeah, it was silly (especially the villain), but not as bad as most of the ST films have been (imho).

[Speaking as a big fan of ST:TOS, somewhat of a fan of TNG, and less so for each successive iteration, down to "Enterprise" which I find unwatchable.]

I think DS9 is probably the best star trek, but if you haven't seen the G&S adaptation U.S.S. Pinafore, you don't know what you're missing.

looking forward to this. However, I'm not holding my breath as I've been let down most every time by blockbuster sequels.

For what it's worth, I cannot get into DS9. I've heard the later seasons are better, but even by the end of season 2 I just hated it. Fugly sets, generally boring stories (though a few were genuinely good), and I didn't enjoy many of the characters. Voyager and TNG are a toss up for favorite. Those were both great series.

looking forward to this. However, I'm not holding my breath as I've been let down most every time by blockbuster sequels.

For what it's worth, I cannot get into DS9. I've heard the later seasons are better, but even by the end of season 2 I just hated it. Fugly sets, generally boring stories (though a few were genuinely good), and I didn't enjoy many of the characters. Voyager and TNG are a toss up for favorite. Those were both great series.

I'm mixed on DS9. The early part is kind of meh. Not bad, but not good either. They fumble over a lot of plot points and try to set up Cisco's prophecy (ugh). The Dominion War stuff is really good though. I hated the end of the series simply due to more of that stupid prophecy thing.

As for Voyager. If Enterprise didn't exist I would call it the worst Trek series. There were some really good moments, but they turned the Borg into a bunch of pansies. By the end of the series the Borg Queen might as well have been laughing manically and twirling a mustache. Janeway was the most "belivable" of the captains since she actually acted like what you would expect from a Starfleet captain. That didn't make her a terribly interesting character all of the time though. Like everything else in the show she had her moments, but it was way too much of a roller coaster show.

I'm with RGMBill. The new movie is nothing but Hollywood. There's so little in the film that actually makes you think. It's just flashy special effects and surface elements. I'll be passing on it as well.

That fight scene on top of that huge drilling laser machine made my ass pucker though.

I didn't dislike the reboot because it shit all over the existing continuity, I'm just not that attached to Star Trek, it's all fiction anway.

I disliked it simply because it was a bad movie/fireworks advert. I know you need suspension of disbelief for any movie, particuarly sci-fi, but ST2009 just stretched it too far,

In a universe where they already have the concept of a wormhole, a black hole is used to transport things through time and space, rather than just crushing everything into oblivion.

Kirk just happens to be marooned within a couple of miles of the cave where both Spock was marooned, and Scotty was stationed.

Scotty renders travel by starship obsolete (extending the range of transporters into light years) and it's immediately forgoten.

Space is bigger than that.

I could go on, but its a couple of years since i watched it and most of the minor annoyances have faded from memory.

And thats just the technical issues, appart from the nod's to the older incarnations of the main characters I didn't find them interesting, there's nothing about it that makes me want to see more of the story. I might watch it when it appears on Sky, but i'm not willing to bet the price of a cinema ticket that the sequel will be any better.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Loved the 2009 movie. Saw it about 20 times in the theater when it was out.

Can't wait for this one.

I'm mixed on DS9. The early part is kind of meh. Not bad, but not good either. They fumble over a lot of plot points and try to set up Cisco's prophecy (ugh). The Dominion War stuff is really good though. I hated the end of the series simply due to more of that stupid prophecy thing.

DS9 never really knew what it was trying to be. Babylon 5 was kicking its ass and you could see them reacting by introducing enduring story arcs and other elements from B5. Babylon 5 hasn't aged as well due to the budget it had, but I'd rather watch it instead of DS9 (except for seasons 1 and 5).

DS9 never really knew what it was trying to be. Babylon 5 was kicking its ass and you could see them reacting by introducing enduring story arcs and other elements from B5. Babylon 5 hasn't aged as well due to the budget it had, but I'd rather watch it instead of DS9 (except for seasons 1 and 5).

B5 is one of things that gets better with age. Great story lines for the most part. Some of the sub-stories (Telepaths, etc) were lame, but over all, amazing work.

In a universe where they already have the concept of a wormhole, a black hole is used to transport things through time and space, rather than just crushing everything into oblivion.

Kirk just happens to be marooned within a couple of miles of the cave where both Spock was marooned, and Scotty was stationed.

Scotty renders travel by starship obsolete (extending the range of transporters into light years) and it's immediately forgoten........................................

Some of that I "could" look pass, my main gripe with ST2009 was "Where the FUCK was the shields when they were being fired upon in the opening sequence???!!!"

All i know is that after watching BBCs Sherlock s1/s2 im pretty stoked that Benedict Cumberbatch is the main protaganist.

Some of that I "could" look pass, my main gripe with ST2009 was "Where the FUCK was the shields when they were being fired upon in the opening sequence???!!!"

They did not have "bubble shields" in that era of star trek. The sheilds overlapped the surface of the hull. I think what you're thinking about is "multiphase" shields, but don't quote me on that.

They did not have "bubble shields" in that era of star trek. The sheilds overlapped the surface of the hull. I think what you're thinking about is "multiphase" shields, but don't quote me on that.

They had a deflector screen not the bubble style multi layer shields we have seen since the TNG days. they have said that from Kirk's day to Picard's there were massive changes in weapons just imagine if these guys had to face the Borg..

I'm with RGMBill. The new movie is nothing but Hollywood. There's so little in the film that actually makes you think.
You aren't going to tell me that The Voyage Home made you think, are you? As much as I liked that film, it essentially made you turn your brain off to get through it.

Some of the Star Trek films make you think a bit. Others don't. Such is Star Trek.

o_O

I am a huge Star Trek fan and the latest movie was the best Star Trek movie to date. Made Star Trek the "cool" series while Star Wars has become the "dork" series. Never thought I would live to see that day.

Yeah cause Wrath of Khan was so bloody awful :rolleyes: ...still engineering didn't look like it was a last minute "oh sh#t we didn't film the engineering scenes, quick find a POS warehouse and get on with it", nor did the deck look like a sodding Apple store, with lens flare.

It was an okay movie, but I wouldn't peg it as being better than Wrath of Khan.

Actually the game should be pretty good then, since it's already in development, and previewed at one of the recent events, normally when a game is made after the movie, they suck huge donkey dingles.

They already screwed it up the first time around. I honestly can't understand what people see in JJ Abrams,I think he's one of the most overrated directors around. If he wanted to put his own spin on Trek,he could have shown some real creativity by coming up with a new crew on a new Enterprise in the TNG timeline,not insulting Gene Roddenderry's creation by twisting events to suit his whims.

Same here... My friends and I were totally disappointed by this letdown of a movie. Not only did Abrams give Rodenberry the middle-finger by destroying everything he had built up in the Star Trek universe, he also did a very poor job at making something resembling a proper movie.

The general acting and script was clumsy, wooden and badly acted. It had nothing of the spirit of the old TOS or TNG movies and it was beyond obvious that these weren't the original TOS actors, even when they did cram in some cliche quotes to try and keep up the pretense. It was horrific and an insult to ST fans :(

They kinda fucked the continuity, but ST 2009 was a good movie. It's also a good demo disc for a nice home theater system.
This was kind of the point. It's a reboot of the series, newer movies and not respins of the same old movies. I agree, the sound effects if the movie were fucking epic, best I think of any movie.

I honestly can not wait for this movie. The first one actually showed off the war capabilities of their ships! Now what?

The only thing I hope they cut back on are the freaking lens flares off every frickin light in the room. Holy hell!

And why would they remake Wrath of Khan? It's a classic, leave it alone! There were so many other areas from the series that they could pull another story from.

I honestly can not wait for this movie. The first one actually showed off the war capabilities of their ships! Now what?

It was about time a ship fired more than one blast, followed by a three day conference to determine if they should consider a followup shot.

I hope to god there is no reference to the Q in any of these upcoming movies.

Back