Star Citizen's single player game delayed again

I have 2-3 copies of all the CnC games. Standalone copies, First Decade, Origin copies, and I think I have a couple of the Steam copies. So I have 4 copies of a couple of them. Where is your god now?
Well that’s all good now but back in the 80’s and 90’s for every 1 person who bought it 3 people pirated it. So yeah now things have gone full circle and now a lot of us seem to have the same game on 2 or 3 platforms because.... laziness? So maybe somebody at EA is paying attention to this and considering a full WC reboot. Because that would be pretty tight.

Well that’s all good now but back in the 80’s and 90’s for every 1 person who bought it 3 people pirated it.

Video games are currently the most profitable consumer entertainment product out there. PC game revenue has grown steadily since ~1985. If you have a good game idea there's money to be made.

So yeah now things have gone full circle and now a lot of us seem to have the same game on 2 or 3 platforms because.... laziness?
Convenience? Kids eventually grow up and get jobs/lives/disposable income?

Not that I'm endorsing piracy, but if you make something that's easily copied like music or video games it's part of the cost of doing business.

People don't generally make video games forever. The successful game designers of the 80's and 90s moved on. Owners of successful studios like Maxis and Westwood eventually cashed out. The big publishers monetize what they can, talented new indie studios come along and try new things, they get bought up, and the process repeats.

The best part is the $675 ship they released a week before announcing that most of the next patch was being delayed months or years lol.

$675 for a picture of a minelayer... I bet the mines are sold separately, too. :D

That just opened up one of my blocked memories. I need 3 years of therapy. I hate you.

Yeah those were some good times :) At least Chris Roberts isn't hunting down threads like this one to personally attack everyone......then again with the cash he's carrying around in his pockets from not finishing his game he'd probably send minions........or at least John Romero.....

WC5? The only wing commander i know of after 4 is Prophecy and some free to play wing commander based off Prophecy. Was there a 5?
That's what I meant Prophecy. I just called it 5. Honestly, I think EA could just update the graphics for the first 2 and I'd buy them. For 3/4, they'd probably ahve to do that and they'd have to upgrade the video (which was presumably shot on film). Do that, and I'd buy those too. It's not like I've played any of those games in the last 20 years.

While there was a heck of a lot more piracy before the digital age I'd like to see some hard evidence to back up those specific numbers.
Not sure there is hard evidence just the rhetoric that EA, Blizzard and most other publishers and developers that claim a 3:1 ratio for pirated vs purchased for most of their stuff during that time. True or not if they say that’s what their numbers were and they believe that’s what their numbers were then they will proceed as if those were the numbers.

Well that’s all good now but back in the 80’s and 90’s for every 1 person who bought it 3 people pirated it. So yeah now things have gone full circle and now a lot of us seem to have the same game on 2 or 3 platforms because.... laziness? So maybe somebody at EA is paying attention to this and considering a full WC reboot. Because that would be pretty tight.

Ohhhh, you work at Ubisoft. It all makes sense now.

This game remains a curiosity to me. What will the 30 bucks I backed to get a space combat game actually end up delivering?

A FPS? A face movement simulator? A towel? A real game? Welfare for aging Star Wars actors?

Who knows! In some sense, I feel I have received 30 dollars of entertainment, if not how I originally envisioned.

This game remains a curiosity to me. What will the 30 bucks I backed to get a space combat game actually end up delivering?

A FPS? A face movement simulator? A towel? A real game? Welfare for aging Star Wars actors?

Who knows! In some sense, I feel I have received 30 dollars of entertainment, if not how I originally envisioned.

Probably largely a ship-fetish simulator. You'll be able to go and look at the beautiful ship models you have, fly around a bit in them, and not really do a whole lot.

It takes someone with a huge ego to sell 4-5 digit jpegs and believe he's not ripping people off. Would Chris Roberts pay these crazy prices if shoes were reversed? Probably not, guy is just preying on people with serious addiction\hero worship problems. Have to believe their marketing strat is like Vegas and targeting whales only.

So glad i got my monies back. Its a shame, i was optimistic at kickstarter.
Me too, and me too.

Worthy of note, this is just the Beta that's been pushed back. The actual final release might be out in time for Christmas 2119. At this point I think anyone spending money on this tech demo, that has been in alpha for six years and cost in excess of two hundred million dollars so far, is a fool.

I want only the best absurd gaming fantasies possible. And I want the literal dream team of Roberts and Molyneux to get cracking on not making it right away.

I can't wait to buy screenshots of what they'd like it to be!

I do find that we are all echoing the same sentiments...

The non-believers wanted it as bad the loyal followers, we just weren't willing to blindly follow every stupid additional announcement.

Bring on S42 already.

The non-believers wanted it as bad the loyal followers, we just weren't willing to blindly follow every stupid additional announcement.

Bring on S42 already.
Definitely. I think anyone on here that's in their late 30s-50s (maybe 60s) has very fond memories of WC1-IV. I'm still shocked that he couldn't just do the easiest thing possible: make an updated WC. After that, start adding crap if he wants to (or if people want it).
I'm guessing this will be, at best, a Duke Nukem Forever (based on reviews, I never played it).

For sure. When I was first told about the Kickstarter for it I was real interested and went to go check it out. I've backed quite a few games on KS. However when I had a look at the massive amount of things they were promising, the feature creep going on, I noped out. They were promising more than they could deliver and that is a recipe for, well, what we have here.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
For sure. When I was first told about the Kickstarter for it I was real interested and went to go check it out. I've backed quite a few games on KS. However when I had a look at the massive amount of things they were promising, the feature creep going on, I noped out. They were promising more than they could deliver and that is a recipe for, well, what we have here.

I thought the exact same thing when I first heard about this. There was no way I was going to put any money towards it in advance but would have happily bought the game after release. Assuming it was ever going to be released. With the way things have turned out I think I made the correct decision way back when.

Definitely. I think anyone on here that's in their late 30s-50s (maybe 60s) has very fond memories of WC1-IV. I'm still shocked that he couldn't just do the easiest thing possible: make an updated WC. After that, start adding crap if he wants to (or if people want it).
I'm guessing this will be, at best, a Duke Nukem Forever (based on reviews, I never played it).

I wouldn't think a second to support if it was just a traditional freelancer mmo. WoW on space, EvE with pvp flag, etc etc.

Right now, I'm more hopeful for a Kingdoms of Amalur Remaster than Squadron ever releasing.

Last edited:
I suspect humans will walk on Mars before you can actually do it officially in SC.

I apologize... I could not resist.

Bring on S42 already.

I agree with this. I was very excited to hear about it and was looking forward to its success, but I've become jaded and bitter and just a little more cynical now. Damn you, Chris Roberts!

I suspect humans will walk on Mars before you can actually do it officially in SC.

I apologize... I could not resist.

I agree with this. I was very excited to hear about it and was looking forward to its success, but I've become jaded and bitter and just a little more cynical now. Damn you, Chris Roberts!
Okay Derek Smart.

I jest, I jest.

Reactions: maro
like this
I usually buy and play all the space combat games ...

It's my genre of choice for the past 20+ years.

It's also extremely obvious that to players in this genre, there is not a single game that has gotten it right. They always leave you wishing they made it this way or that way and it seems pretty clear that the same problem exists in the people who design and own them.

I still have hope for star citizen. Especially considering everything that has currently been put out and has come out before it has failed to deliver the game I want.

Though, I'm not sure real fans of the genre will be happy until they can throw a VR suit on, get into a cockpit seat with full articulation and die from malnutrition due to playing in a fully immersive VR Sim where you're piloting your own spaceship / commanding your own fleet ...etc

Reactions: drklu
like this
I'm in this game for the original package, like $45? Whatever, the alpha as it stands now is playable to an extent, definitely not a complete game, not something to spend even an entire weekend on. If it never launches it won't be the most I've lost on a crap game. Looking at you Fallout 76

I'm in this game for the original package, like $45? Whatever, the alpha as it stands now is playable to an extent, definitely not a complete game, not something to spend even an entire weekend on. If it never launches it won't be the most I've lost on a crap game. Looking at you Fallout 76
I'm in the same boat, at this stage my hopes are the guys over at Elite Dangerous continue their feature creep and start adding more player interaction stuff, manufacturing and what nots. That or out of nowhere CCP comes out with an EvE successor that basically does all this.

I'm waiting on them to announce a revision on the game engine to add ray tracing, which will delay the game another decade......

going to giggle my ass off, it's just to perfect an excuse not to take it.

I'm actually just waiting for the announcement of "suspended operations". Sorry, money gone. We have 400 half done things though!
It's a textbook example of how to not manage a software project.

And yeah, I blame money. It made him stupid drunk on his magical vision, rather than incrementally doing one thing at a time and making it work.

I'm in the same boat, at this stage my hopes are the guys over at Elite Dangerous continue their feature creep and start adding more player interaction stuff, manufacturing and what nots. That or out of nowhere CCP comes out with an EvE successor that basically does all this.

I'd be willing to bet that by the time this comes out Elite will have nearly all the same (flight based) features.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Star Citizen is disappointing because the worst parts of the game are the flight model and combat.

I'm actually just waiting for the announcement of "suspended operations". Sorry, money gone. We have 400 half done things though!
It's a textbook example of how to not manage a software project.

And yeah, I blame money. It made him stupid drunk on his magical vision, rather than incrementally doing one thing at a time and making it work.
There was a pretty cool voxel demonstration showing off deformable environments. Star sCamizen needs this! ( still computing the time to change the engine and art work )

bugs and john romero

This project is one of those gifts that keep on giving.
I don't feel like it gave me anything but continuous disappointment.

It's been in development longer than I've been active on this forum.
If you had a child when it was announced that child would be in primary school by now.

If you had a child when it was announced that child would be in primary school by now.

If they wanted to, they could have directed development to release a minimally viable product already - it's not like you can't do things in it now even without that intention. Then it would be like elite dangerous and be a game with a bunch of place holder nonsense still in it years after "release" and nothing to do with all of the procedurally generated environment. You'd still be disappointed.

So really, it's not star citizen you're disappointed in, it's waiting for games you have been teased the end result of... surprising.

If they wanted to, they could have directed development to release a minimally viable product already - it's not like you can't do things in it now even without that intention. Then it would be like elite dangerous and be a game with a bunch of place holder nonsense still in it years after "release" and nothing to do with all of the procedurally generated environment. You'd still be disappointed.

So really, it's not star citizen you're disappointed in, it's waiting for games you have been teased the end result of... surprising.
You act as if it is normal for a game to be 25% feature ready and about 5% content ready after 6 years.

You act as if it is normal for a game to be 25% feature ready and about 5% content ready after 6 years.

nobody said it was normal. I just said your feelings about it wouldn't matter either way. We have examples of games trying to do very similar things that took the other option and they are just as disappointing and just as "incomplete" despite being released after just as much time being developed.

See the difference is I’m not that invested, and you cannot deny that this slow motion train wreck hasn’t been amusing.

I have lost track of the number of games in the 90’s that I got hyped for on the front of a gaming magazine that failed to materialize. There was a mech one in 96 that I really wanted, a super hero one promising destructible cities, BC, and those are just the ones that vaguely stuck in my head. I just don’t get hyped anymore.

See the difference is I’m not that invested, and you cannot deny that this slow motion train wreck hasn’t been amusing.

I have lost track of the number of games in the 90’s that I got hyped for on the front of a gaming magazine that failed to materialize. There was a mech one in 96 that I really wanted, a super hero one promising destructible cities, BC, and those are just the ones that vaguely stuck in my head. I just don’t get hyped anymore.

At least back then they didn't take your money upfront while making broken promises.

Back