Star Citizen's single player game delayed again

$47 K? These peeps have fallen out of the stupid tree and hit every limb on the way down!

It seems it would be against some kind of law to dupe people so hard.

$47 K? These peeps have fallen out of the stupid tree and hit every limb on the way down!

I don't get it at all. I could do it if I wanted to, but why would I want to? There is no game worth 50 grand, especially one that will likely never be released.

People can spend their money however they want. I know people who have spent luxury car money to have really square lawns.

I'm grateful that there are people who want to burn cash who love Wing Commander as much as I do to keep this ball rolling when anyone rational would have called it off.

Again, though, I didn't spend real money on this; I bought a video card with a fan that started to make a clicky noise that now lives in a box in the garage.

I imagine some of them are incredibly smart people, but they're still human. Since they're human they're susceptible of falling for the sunk cost fallacy and the fear of missing out.

Best thing that could happen in a few years is the ip is sold to a company and a washed down product is released, key word there is released.

Best thing that could happen in a few years is the ip is sold to a company and a washed down product is released, key word there is released.

your assuming they actually spent the money on product. probably spent most of it on H&B, with just enough on spaceships to get stupid people to donate more money.

your assuming they actually spent the money on product. probably spent most of it on H&B...

Or we'll find out it was a money laundering operation... Spaceflight sims are a niche within a niche, there can't be that many people buying spaceship JPEGs.

Microsoft Games could have reignited Freelancer and released an ass-kicking sequel by now. :(

I've always been a bit intrigued by Star Citizen, but the length of time it's been in development has caused that intrigue to morph into hysterics.

I am convinced that Amazon Game Studios will release their version of the game first then they will buy up the Star Citizen IP for a song. Dance number not included.

Are we sure that Madoff isn't somehow involved in this masterful pyramid scheme? :cool:

I might still buy it if it ever releases but no way do they get any monies ahead of time.

Grandma died last year and left me $30K. So in her honor, I went out and picked up the Legatus Package. I just couldn't help myself. It was like I was watching someone else do it from the third person when I clicked the "purchase" button. I don't know what came over me. But I'm in all the way now. I'm living in Robert's universe to the hilt.
Don't forget you first have to spend $1000 to be able to see the package.

I’m so happy it’s almost 2020 so I can start tagging all the loyal subjects.

They promised me it would be out by 2020 and I’m a petty prick like that.

My preference would still be a kick ass space flight sim but I like being petty too.

I’m so happy it’s almost 2020 so I can start tagging all the loyal subjects.

They promised me it would be out by 2020 and I’m a petty prick like that.

My preference would still be a kick ass space flight sim but I like being petty too.
The defence will just be "No this is good news because they just want to make a great game and not rush it like other developers." Which means the developer can just go ahead and milk them for the remainder of Chris Robert's life.

The defence will just be "No this is good news because they just want to make a great game and not rush it like other developers." Which means the developer can just go ahead and milk them for the remainder of Chris Robert's life.
Most likely they’ll kick the can down the road until I’m in my 40s and development of this game started when I was in my 20s and not even my late 20s. It’s crazy. I’d be legit surprised if we aren’t near 2023 by the time this mess is solved. But I wouldn’t be surprised to not see it until 2026.

Glad I’m not close to death I guess.

I'm glad I'm an old fart now and really don't care if Star Citizen flies or flops. But there was a time when I would have been chomping at the bit and might have even did the "buy in" for vaporware.
When I read about the guy that mortgaged his house to buy virtual property in Second Life I pretty much gave up on trying to understand what people are thinking in this day and age.
A relative on my wife's side once was borrowing money from loan sharks to invest in a Ponzi scheme. At the time I was dumbfounded how anyone could conceive such a notion. Now, I'm sure there are plenty that think it would be a good idea. o_O

Last edited:
I get tired of when people equate spending cash on real life items to spending money on a game that's not even close to being released. You know, at least if I were to spend money on a luxury car, I'd get the car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can you even use all those ships yet?

People can spend their money however they want. I know people who have spent luxury car money to have really square lawns.

I'm grateful that there are people who want to burn cash who love Wing Commander as much as I do to keep this ball rolling when anyone rational would have called it off.

In general, sure, but as was pointed out the main thing preventing Roberts from having any motivation at all to get the damn thing done is the fact that people continue to piss money away on marketing jpegs. As someone who backed (modestly) in 2012, and not since, I consider those people to be a big part of the reason I haven't seen the games that were promised for 2014. Not to mention CIG isn't even pretending to be making those games any more, not since the funding took off and Roberts promised he'd be able to deliver the "best damn space sim ever" instead (in the same time frame, no less).
Of course the main reason it'll never happen is that Roberts is a deluded, incompetent, lying has-been.

I'd like to blame feature creep, but they haven't even added more features to the list in years have they?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I know VR is missing. Not like it runs well enough for that anyways.
Honestly it is too big and ambition of a project for a small team. They should have released the core part and had that working damned well with the basic functionality, then as time went polish one new feature and put it in every few months. Trying a huge product and waiting to release it until it is all finished with a small team will take decades and when it comes out it will already be outdated, so that means you have to constantly go back and "update" the parts you had working.... It is an endless clusterfuck of a development cycle that guarantees you are behind schedule and over budget. It is a rookie mistake.

Honestly it is too big and ambition of a project for a small team. They should have released the core part and had that working damned well with the basic functionality, then as time went polish one new feature and put it in every few months. Trying a huge product and waiting to release it until it is all finished with a small team will take decades and when it comes out it will already be outdated, so that means you have to constantly go back and "update" the parts you had working.... It is an endless clusterfuck of a development cycle that guarantees you are behind schedule and over budget. It is a rookie mistake.
Aren't there at least a couple of hundred employees beetween CIG and outside companies they hired for specific segments?

Aren't there at least a couple of hundred employees beetween CIG and outside companies they hired for specific segments?
Couple hundred contracted employees who are hired to do a small part with little working on the rest of the project most of which are probably animators and artists. And I doubt they are all working at the same time, they are probably pieced together as needed for what ever they specifically needed help with at the time. So yeah over the course of how many years...... there have probably been a few hundred.

Star Citizen, soon to be an Epic Games Store exclusive.

More than likely Chris Robert will try to reinvent the way games are downloaded and launch his own launcher instead, which will cost $50 million to develop. :p

Though on a more serious note, I expect Squadron 42 to get delayed again. I actually do think it will come out in a semi decent, playable form. How great it will be is up in the air. Star Citizen, the persistent universe, I have little hope in being balanced and actually fun.

If your pc playerbase just pirated your games would you keep making it at a loss?
I disagree. I think a lot of us may have irated the original game, but after that I bought the expansions and the sequels/their expansions. In fact, as I recall, the original WC readme file implored downloaders to go out buy the game, because it was the kind of game that deserved our support. Now maybe there was a lot of pirating of WC5. Not sure. My workplace had a pc gmaing club and we could chekc out games and play them. I never finished it, because I just didn't like the game as much as the oolder ones, though, as I recall, it was a pretty game.

I disagree. I think a lot of us may have irated the original game, but after that I bought the expansions and the sequels/their expansions. In fact, as I recall, the original WC readme file implored downloaders to go out buy the game, because it was the kind of game that deserved our support. Now maybe there was a lot of pirating of WC5. Not sure. My workplace had a pc gmaing club and we could chekc out games and play them. I never finished it, because I just didn't like the game as much as the oolder ones, though, as I recall, it was a pretty game.

WC5? The only wing commander i know of after 4 is Prophecy and some free to play wing commander based off Prophecy. Was there a 5?

Well at this stage I am pretty sure EA has sold more copies of the WC series on Origin then they ever did physical copies. I am personally conflicted as to get Privateer 2 on GoG as it doesn’t seem to be coming to Origin any time soon. I just hate to split the series between providers nothing against GoG.

Back