Star Citizen: The Beginning of the End

What do you think an appropriate response to your nonsense is? Everyone knows the game has been in development far longer than 18 months.

He's the only brickwall in this room.

He thinks it's OK that it took them longer to setup and get ready to even start on development after the initial release date even passed...:rolleyes:

But don't worry....its only been delayed years with nothing substantial to show, everything will be just fine :p

So the hangar module has been out a little over 2 years, and people are trying to pretend development didn't start till 18 months ago? lol... what? When people have been asking "where is the game" we get told to look at this pile of incomplete and disjointed modules as development progress, but now those modules don't count? Or did the hangar module need no development time, and just sprung into existence after being released from the loins of CR himself?

Being a fan and desperately wanting to see it succeed, I get that. But this nonsense about ignoring glaringly obvious events in the timeline since it was announced and pretending things didn't happen... if you guys are so dedicated to the game how do you forget these things? Yes folks, it really is October 2015 right now. Ya'll must have been in a coma for a year or something and haven't realized what the date is yet.

1080p
wa72OgY.png

2560p
6PvoQdI.png

290 wc and oc.
From my last bench to this, they seem to have a 30fps lock, which took some time to kick in in 2560p.
All settings on Max.
There has definately been some work on the engine, that why I had to redownload 30Gb of files. again. But I only check every few months, not every few days.

At this point, if the project does crash and burn (I'm not saying it will, and personally I would like it not to) I can already imagine Roberts' apologetic letter to the "community" in which he would claim that, despite the best efforts of Roberts and his team, it's not their fault at all and the project was undermined by the destructive and self-serving influence of Smart and his imaginary cohorts.

Remember when Brad McQuaid, a much-lauded superstar of 90s video gaming, suddenly reappeared with his own company, "an all-star team of MMOG developers and focusing on making one ground-breaking, unprecedented project"? They promised all sorts of exciting features and old-school mechanics that players had been gagging for. They chose to build it on a popular FPS-centric engine which they had to modify heavily and struggled to make fit for purpose, resulting in numerous delays. Anonymous sources were critical of McQuaid's leadership skills and the management of the project, claiming they "refused to listen to anyone on how to fix what was broken ... they were so pig-headed and arrogant that they believed we were all wrong and they were right." (oh look, an Escapist article).

The game was eventually released, was absolutely (and correctly) mauled by critics. McQuaid's company almost immediately sold it to Sony and went out of business. And don't look for the game, it was finally put out of its misery last year.

Those who don't learn from history, as they say.

Vanguard, saga of hero's.

Yea, I still have a collector's edition box of bitter reminders on my shelf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEH2GpV8Ua4&feature=em-uploademail

New video from RSI detailing when they starting working on things, number of staff, number of backers, etc.

Full production did not start until Feb 2013.

It's not even been 3 years yet, most AAA games take FIVE years or so (Fallout, Witcher, GTA, etc) and peopel are bitching already.

I can understand why many studios (like BEthseda) choose to just shut the fuck up and not talk about their games until they are nearly done, too many people get their panties in at wist over stupid shit.

Chris Roberts, a self-professed “visionary” has never – ever – been able to complete a project on his own. Like ever. This fact is lost on those who aren’t really familiar with his industry track record. He is one of those artistes who works best when directed. Put him at the top of any project, and the potential for the project to fail, increases. This is not hyperbole, it’s a material fact. And it’s all right there in the industry history.
Derek Smart is an idiot and is all shades of jelly over someone whose failures top his greatest "success".

I'd be very concerned at this point if you stuck any money into this game. Except for some of the facial visuals from the "cough" in-game walk through the rest of the textures look straight out of 2004.

I'd be very concerned at this point if you stuck any money into this game. Except for some of the facial visuals from the "cough" in-game walk through the rest of the textures look straight out of 2004.
The models and other geometry is way more detailed than any game from 2004, but I agree that the Alpha 2.0 demo lacks a visual wow factor. It needs more shaders and/or more interesting and higher resolution textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEH2GpV8Ua4&feature=em-uploademail

New video from RSI detailing when they starting working on things, number of staff, number of backers, etc.

Full production did not start until Feb 2013.

It's not even been 3 years yet, most AAA games take FIVE years or so (Fallout, Witcher, GTA, etc) and peopel are bitching already.

I can understand why many studios (like BEthseda) choose to just shut the fuck up and not talk about their games until they are nearly done, too many people get their panties in at wist over stupid shit.
Claiming full production didn't start till Feb 2013(which was still longer than 18 months ago), doesn't change that production had already actually started prior to that. CR stating the start of full production being about 2 and a half years ago, still means that Deathroned was way off(and he supposedly follows development if the game?).

Ignorant lying trolls .

I know this post will do little dissuade the negative incorrect and outright trollish opinions that keep popping up.

but the citizen con video shows that all the accusation are nothing but lies. Revealing the naysayers for what they are , nothing but haters who want something to hate on because they are so low they only have one thing in life to do , and that is to bash on a project that is still in the works (not even giving it a chance to succeed or fail)

the citizencon video provides the facts necessary to demonstrate that all the accusation are out right false. any opinions to the contrary are out right deflections or sorry attempts to save face.

already seeing people starting to criticize the graphics ..
no matter (thats just more deflection now in the face of citizencon video)
the game is being made so is squadron 42 they have game assets they have the game mechanics they have story line and they have 250+ developers working on the game .

looking at the quality of the assets and the detail being delivered you can tell this is a demanding project. A ton of progress has been made to bring us 2 AAA games in less than 3 years .(even with the total bull crap lies of 4 years and 5 years their is 2 AAA games in that time frame )

so shut the mutha frak up and take those losers attitudes back to those lil caves because believe it or not there will be a star citizen and a squadron 42 game and from the looks of it it is quite possible it may achieve all the goals it set out from the very start.

if your still want to be negative on star citizen your going to have to find something else to hate on because all the lies have been busted and the only thing to complain about now is unsubstantiated bull crap because the game aint done. let the team work save your criticism, for release where the game can be fairly judged.

Yet we're discussing the game and facts, while you lash out and insult other users. This is seriously the kind of argument I would expect from a real religious zealot defending his faith. Except this is over a game, give it a rest already.

Yet we're discussing the game and facts, while you lash out and insult other users. This is seriously the kind of argument I would expect from a real religious zealot defending his faith. Except this is over a game, give it a rest already.
stop deflecting the game is real nuff said .

you want to fuss about facts wait till it comes out all the previous arguments are utter trash now.

Ignorant lying trolls .

I know this post will do little dissuade the negative incorrect and outright trollish opinions that keep popping up.

but the citizen con video shows that all the accusation are nothing but lies. Revealing the naysayers for what they are , nothing but haters who want something to hate on because they are so low they only have one thing in life to do , and that is to bash on a project that is still in the works (not even giving it a chance to succeed or fail)

the citizencon video provides the facts necessary to demonstrate that all the accusation are out right false. any opinions to the contrary are out right deflections or sorry attempts to save face.

the game is being made so is squadron 42 they have game assets they have the game mechanics they have story line and they have 250+ developers working on the game .

looking at the quality of the assets and the detail being delivered you can tell this is a demanding project. A ton of progress has been made to bring us 2 AAA games in less than 3 years .(even with the total bull crap lies of 4 years and 5 years their is 2 AAA games in that time frame )

so shut the mutha frak up and take those losers attitudes back to those lil caves because believe it or not there will be a star citizen and a squadron 42 game and from the looks of it it is quite possible it may achieve all the goals it set out from the very start.

if your still want to be negative on star citizen your going to have to find something else to hate on because all the lies have been busted and the only thing to complain about now is unsubstantiated bull crap because the game aint done. let the team work save your criticism, for release where the game can be fairly judged.

Really? Which accusations did it prove false? Did it prove how much money CIG currently has? Did it prove that they have enough money to finish the game?

I don't see how it really proved anything.

You seem unstable and irrational.

i dont think there is any malice but Chris Roberts doesnt have a great track record and is almost every project he has worked on has gone over over budget and missed deadlines...

until i see game play im going to say they need to show everyone the books

If the test-show TODAY of the full-deal around the planet Crusader, including EVA, station battle with 4v4 and theft of the ship that they came in didn't prove it for you...

if the list of high profile voice actors willing to tack their name on it didn't prove it for you...

If all the behind the scenes videos including the mo-cap and tech show didn't prove it for you...

If the new ships today didn't prove it for you...

IF THE PORTION OF THE IN-GAME INTRO TO SQUADRON 42 DIDN'T PROVE IT FOR YOU...

All shown new today at Citizencon, easy to find on Youtube...

If none of this makes you think the game is on-track and the money is being spent reasonably...

What else can be said?

Can any gamer really watch today's stream and not be at least as excited as the first time they saw Battlefield 1942 being played? Or if you are an MMO gamer the first time you saw Everquest or WoW?

^ I picture tears streaming down your face as you wrote that.

Really? Which accusations did it prove false? Did it prove how much money CIG currently has? Did it prove that they have enough money to finish the game?

I don't see how it really proved anything.

You seem unstable and irrational.

the only unstable and irrational people are those requesting to see the books , and those who continue to attempt to reinforce lies.

obviously they have enough money to keep producing the game with the equipment and required professionals.

there is no truth to the lack of funds argument.

the only unstable and irrational people are those requesting to see the books , and those who continue to attempt to reinforce lies.

obviously they have enough money to keep producing the game with the equipment and required professionals.

there is no truth to the lack of funds argument.

I didn't say keep producing. I said finish.

So I hear there were no release dates given.

My question; did they have the balls to unveil new ships you could buy? Even better, were any of those ships CitizenCon 'limited edition'? lol

So I hear there were no release dates given.

My question; did they have the balls to unveil new ships you could buy? Even better, were any of those ships CitizenCon 'limited edition'? lol

They have a new Referral program, bring someone into the fold and win a prize. The more people you snare the bring the bigger the prize, sell, sell, sell, just like Amway.

And to celebrate their 3 year anniversary they released an 8 pack of ships for $2500, the whales be taking the bait.

They have a new Referral program, bring someone into the fold and win a prize. The more people you snare the bring the bigger the prize, sell, sell, sell, just like Amway.

And to celebrate their 3 year anniversary they released an 8 pack of ships for $2500, the whales be taking the bait.

Well damn, sounds like the fundraiser event kicked things into overdrive!

If the test-show TODAY of the full-deal around the planet Crusader, including EVA, station battle with 4v4 and theft of the ship that they came in didn't prove it for you...

if the list of high profile voice actors willing to tack their name on it didn't prove it for you...

If all the behind the scenes videos including the mo-cap and tech show didn't prove it for you...

If none of this makes you think the game is on-track and the money is being spent reasonably...

What else can be said?

Can any gamer really watch today's stream and not be at least as excited as the first time they saw Battlefield 1942 being played? Or if you are an MMO gamer the first time you saw Everquest or WoW?

The game chugged, I saw lots of rubber banding, and the FPS combat looked like a generic Sci-Fi shooter from 2008. I also still haven't seen a third person perspective of a player moving in a multi-crew ship that is in motion.

What else can be said?

I will have to watch that stuff and see. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this game looks remotely put together at this point. I had high hopes for this game and I still hope it comes and and is even 60-75% of what was originally promised. I'd be a very happy gamer.

And they all come with LTI.

If anything, the never ending stream of LTI ships is likely going to be the largest risk factor damaging the game by "pay to win" players. LTI was initially planned as a special bonus for very early backers, however it keeps getting dragged out as a sales too going into the third year. It will be very frustrating for some players in the final game to pay to replace expensive hulls while other players get a never end supply of replacement hulls.

Having said that, I talked myself into pledging if the new Sabre was under $100. And it's $170, boo :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

LOL. Really? This is what the mindless, rabid "fans" are drooling over? REALLY?

I haven't followed this game at all, but if this is the end result I really question on what they've been spending their money.
Terrible framerate - check.
Animations subpar - check.
Voice acting terrible - check.
Textures awful - check.

Hmm...

Dat potato frame rate... They should have turned down some effects so it was smooth :eek:

chaos leave them be. Its like talking to brick walls dumb uninformed brick walls. I told em in the other thread the actual game has been in dev for a year 6 months and got attacked.

I agree you shouldn't have been attacked for that. You should've been laughed at.

If anything, the never ending stream of LTI ships is likely going to be the largest risk factor damaging the game by "pay to win" players. LTI was initially planned as a special bonus for very early backers, however it keeps getting dragged out as a sales too going into the third year. It will be very frustrating for some players in the final game to pay to replace expensive hulls while other players get a never end supply of replacement hulls.

Having said that, I talked myself into pledging if the new Sabre was under $100. And it's $170, boo :(

I don't think anyone will be paying to replace expensive hulls, unless they're morons. CIG has consistently said that LTI won't be a big deal (i.e. having to pay for your insurance won't be a big deal). Probably something like run one or two generic missions and your insurance is paid for a month.

I had high hopes for this game and I still hope it comes and and is even 60-75% of what was originally promised. I'd be a very happy gamer.

Same here. But at the moment I'd only guess the odds of that happening as 50/50 at best.

There were lots of negative threads over at the CIG forums after the presentation. Complaints about everything from the referral program and shitty voice acting/writing, to spaceflight mechanics and "limited" ships and LTI being offered up for sale again and again.

It's pretty obvious CIG is in full on cash grab mode, which is no surprise.

Why are we listening to Derek Smart and using him to whip Chris Roberts? That's insane.

We aren't. We're listening to ex employees and observing the state and development of the game by ourselves.

None of this was an issue until Derek Smart, Destroyer of Companies came along with a chip on his shoulder and a hurt butt that CR is making the game he originally wanted to do but didn't have the time, skill, vision or manpower to make.

Yes, it was an issue for some time now. DS made it more public and talked about.

Why are we still listening to anything he says? He's a professional TROLL.

You keep bringing him up and can't seem to let him go.

If Star Citizen runs out of money, we'll find out won't we? There's no signs of the company failing other than the manufactured crap from the troll brigade.

I would rather something be changed before it's too late.

If you follow the website and you read the development posts, see the pics, watch the videos that come out continuously you can plainly see a team that is working hard on a game.

I can see and I follow, and that is why I'm more worried than ever.

How does "they missed a few assumed deadlines" equate to "game is doomed?" Especially when it's coming from a group of professional trolls?

They've missed EVERY deadline they THEMSELVES set.

Shouldn't we still be rooting for Star Citizen's success rather than hoping it fails so we can watch it burn?

I wouldn't bother talking about it as much if I wasn't rooting for it and hoping the game I backed sees the light of day.

I WANT some modern PC games, new genres, tech that pushes my hardware until it cries. Not just more cookie cutter games that come out of EA studios.

Me too.

Damn, you want to see slow, messed up development... look at DayZ. That's a lot of money that never turned into ANYTHING.

Or Star Citizen so far, unfortunately. Monthly reports don't count as a playable promised product.

We aren't committing blind loyalty here dangit!

Many are.

It's a highly informed opinion and the weird desire to armchair quarterback a game that's only part way through development and on top of that to PREFER a reality TV-style drama to actually seeing the game get done is depressing as hell.

I very much prefer to get the game, the problem IS it is only part way through development.

I want the GAME, not the drama. We backed Chris and his company to make the game. Our choice to hand HIM the money to do with as he sees fit.

I backed Chris to make the game he pitched with delays expected. Not what it became today.

Can we let Cloud Imperium Gaming get on with their attempt without having to turn it into a soap opera? Let's see if they succeed or fail at making the game... not succeed or fail at providing enough drama to keep everyone entertained. I don't find this kind of stuff entertaining. I'm involved with sporting organizations where this kind of crap happens far too often. There are real people getting hurt when gossip goes out of control and when raw spots from people leaving get intentionally and pointlessly rubbed into being angry sores. Just going through this costs the company resources and endless hours of attention that the top execs need to be spending on the GAME rather than this dreg.

This is not a backers made problem but a CIG made one.

This mess is being manufactured externally. Not internally. You think every employee is going to be happy when they leave? You can't have that happen with only a small company with only 5 people let alone when you pay dozens and have hundreds of contractors.

There are multiple issues raised.

Ignorant lying trolls .

Hmm...

Are you trolling or sarcastic, or being serious?

Citizencon proved nothing of the sort. If anything, it confirmed there is merit to issues raised.

It is October 2015. and all they have to show is a short SQ42 intro with bad graphics and animations, with many "it will be better when finished" promises. They've said the same thing last year and the year before. Enough is enough.

looking at the quality of the assets and the detail being delivered you can tell this is a demanding project.

I have and the quality is terrible this late in the development!

A ton of progress has been made to bring us 2 AAA games in less than 3 years .(even with the total bull crap lies of 4 years and 5 years their is 2 AAA games in that time frame )

We have barely anything more of actual importance today than we did a year ago.

Relax. Also, I sincerely hope there will be a great game in the end.

Yesterday's presentation did little to disprove the criticism, unfortunately.

That is the kind of demo I expected way back then, not after so many delays and this late in production.

LOL! They "tacked their name" on it because they got payed. Nothing more, nothing less.

It proved they did mocap.

It proved there are even more unplayable ships for sale.

It proved they are way behind on graphics, animation and gameplay.

What else can be said?

That the latest drama around possible development problems could be justified.

I was excited in 2012, 2013, 2014 and the beginning of 2015. Now I am worried.

And they all come with LTI.

Is this true? Have they really brought back LTI AGAIN?!?!

Back