Star Citizen: The Beginning of the End

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, it would be far more entertaining if we could just put Derek Smart and Chris Roberts in a cage match so they could sort out all their differences.

Chris Roberts, a self-professed “visionary” has never – ever – been able to complete a project on his own. Like ever. This fact is lost on those who aren’t really familiar with his industry track record. He is one of those artistes who works best when directed. Put him at the top of any project, and the potential for the project to fail, increases. This is not hyperbole, it’s a material fact. And it’s all right there in the industry history.

So fortuitous that I just came across this:

TD8uSlc.jpg

You know, it would be far more entertaining if we could just put Derek Smart and Chris Roberts in a cage match so they could sort out all their differences.

Chris Roberts, a self-professed “visionary” has never – ever – been able to complete a project on his own. Like ever. This fact is lost on those who aren’t really familiar with his industry track record. He is one of those artistes who works best when directed. Put him at the top of any project, and the potential for the project to fail, increases. This is not hyperbole, it’s a material fact. And it’s all right there in the industry history.

[H] just lost a lot of credibility reposting dewreck shmart shit. That desperate for click bait?

If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. I got caught up in the hype train for a few weeks a year or so ago, but eventually came to my senses.

Immediately thought "People in Battlecrusier glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

[H] just lost a lot of credibility reposting dewreck shmart shit. That desperate for click bait?

While I'm not a fan of derek smart, it's hard to argue that CIG isn't having major problems.

Did Derek take in over 90 MILLION dollars from sucker fanboys.....cough....I mean investors?

The way I see it, there are 90,000,000 differences between SC and BC3000.

Speaking of the specifics, that would be the Chris Roberts who successfully released a large number of Wing Commander titles, and produced / directed / whatever a film? And what has Derek Smart actually done?

Well, it looks like you guys already have my position on Derek Smart's credibility totally pegged. Battlecruiser 3000AD was garbage. Derek Smart is right up there with John Romero in my pantheon of failed game creators who deserve no respect.

Now, saying that, I'm not sure that he's totally wrong in this case. Chris Roberts hasn't produced a game in a long time and the scope is pretty enormous. They're also missed a bunch of deadlines.

Oh well, there is always elite dangerous out. While a little lacking on depth, I'm sure it will get better over time. Then of course you have eve valkyrie on the horizon as well, with possibly others. If nothing else Star Citizen helped show how much the desire for space sims is. Especially with VR. Who doesn't want to fly a fighter.

I couldn't care less if star citizen materializes or not. People who "invest" in games like this are plain stupid and naive.

I just don't even care, if Star Citizen fails, it's on CIG to either fix it or seek help from a AAA publisher to finance it. I doubt this game will just stop development entirely, pack up, call it quits.. It's way.. too popular to do that... I'm sure a major AAA game studio would have interest in it if it does fail..

Guys, the visionary who directed The Blair Witch Project is starting a Kickstarter campaign to fund his new project!

He's promising a sweeping interactive epic guaranteed to hit every emotion known to man. A-List cast with Industrial Light & Magic CGI!

He only needs $50 and some duct tape. Once he reaches this goal, you can even purchase personalized pins commemorating the kick starter success. Only $250, limited time only. And for $600, you can have your name added to the credits!

Get on this shit, now.

Seen this with so many Kickstarters.

Someone whips up an idea and gets a few others enthused for it and they slap it up on Kickstarter.

Next thing they have $XXXXXXXXXXXXX and actually haven't done any research or groundwork that would have told them it was feasible in the first place. You know...the boring business stuff. Gets in the way of signing leases on nice offices, workstations, coffee machines and fussball tables.

Big chasm of reality and effort between a grand plan and an achievable plan.

Could have all been avoided with a hour or so of sober brainstorming on a flipchart in someone's kitchen.

I was kinda ignoring this because who Star Citizen thing because:

-It's about a video game and I usually don't care about games much.
-It's about a Kickstarter thing and I've never done the donation to a project. If those ideas were any good, they'd get funded from some less gullible and more experienced investor.

....buuut, since there's like a Derek Smart thing (weirdly, I kinda like Universal Combat even though space sim stuff just isn't for me -- though I really don't care much about him as a person except that I do know he's got some kinda reputation) I just thought I'd drop in to say this is totally hilarious pretty much on all sides. I'm more or less just interested in seeing what happens because, no matter how it turns out, this is tons more drama-fun than a daytime soap opera!

This almost seems like a Star magazine article but about Derek instead of Kim Cardassian

Speaking of the specifics, that would be the Chris Roberts who successfully released a large number of Wing Commander titles, and produced / directed / whatever a film? And what has Derek Smart actually done?

Yes, the CR that hasn't made a game in over twelve years, has never made a game anywhere near the scope of SC, and has made some of the worst movies known to mankind.

Show us proof.
Your post is proof that it's hard to argue, otherwise I would think you'd have done a much better job.

Oh man if i had the energy to post 10 "eating popcorn" gifs i'd do it right now. Start Citizen sounds amazing but im fairly certain it won't come close to expectations.

For those of you saying (ie those of you who have thousands invested in spaceship jpegs) that we shouldn't listen to D. Smart because he often misses shipping dates and makes bad games, who would be better to listen to on this subject? Yeah he comes off as an ass, because he is. Anyone who has been around PC gaming for the last 20 years knows that, but to discount what he is saying because of his abrasive personality and history is dumb. Look at what he is saying at face value, and wonder why CIG is being so defensive instead of just blowing it off with a few professional PR releases.

I don't really want to speculate on it, but if it really does fail, it'll not be anything good.

John Romero failed to make us his bitch. (See also: Daicraptana)

Derek Smart is just a trainwreck, plain 'n simple. I want to sue his ass for his [last] name being a sad lie.

This game is starting to tingle my worry nerve. I don't have a single penny, let alone $400-$1000+, invested in it. Just starting to feel a bit worried they can pull this off. If they can, I will be getting it for sure.

I keep seeing this "well, if you donated to its KS campaign, you're just an idiot" line being thrown out whenever a game is having problems with development, or even just goes down entirely.

I can't speak for others who donate to KS campaigns, but for myself: part of the reason I do donate to something like Star Citizen is *precisely* to show my interest in the genre. Even if the game itself fails to get off the ground, or is less than what was promised, the fact that I and many, many other people were interested enough to actually put our dollars towards it is still there. Heck, how many of my tax dollars are wasted every year? At least this is for something I actually want to see.

Furthermore, I know full well that there is no guarantee that anything will actually come out of a KS campaign. It's a gamble as much as it is an investment. Just because I donate doesn't mean I'm unaware of that.

If this whole Star Citizen thing ends up panning out, but it causes various developers to become interested in making more space sims after seeing all the money out there, then that $20-30 spent is worth it in my mind. YMMV.

Better go read up on the Freelancer debacle.

As a Star Citizen backer (/embarrassed) I urge people to just play Elite: Dangerous, I am having a blast with my new Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X and Elite.

I keep seeing this "well, if you donated to its KS campaign, you're just an idiot" line being thrown out whenever a game is having problems with development, or even just goes down entirely.

I can't speak for others who donate to KS campaigns, but for myself: part of the reason I do donate to something like Star Citizen is *precisely* to show my interest in the genre. Even if the game itself fails to get off the ground, or is less than what was promised, the fact that I and many, many other people were interested enough to actually put our dollars towards it is still there. Heck, how many of my tax dollars are wasted every year? At least this is for something I actually want to see.

Furthermore, I know full well that there is no guarantee that anything will actually come out of a KS campaign. It's a gamble as much as it is an investment. Just because I donate doesn't mean I'm unaware of that.

If this whole Star Citizen thing ends up panning out, but it causes various developers to become interested in making more space sims after seeing all the money out there, then that $20-30 spent is worth it in my mind. YMMV.

Agreed. So many successful games have been crowdfunded in the last few years. Sure there are going to be some failures, but as long as you use your entertainment money on it, I don't see what the big deal is. I really doubt that anyone is donating to a KS with thoughts that it is a sure thing. At least I hope not.

That's actually a really good way of thinking about it and a good way to turn a lemon-y situation into lemon-y-aide instead of just feeling like you got showered by a bucket of golden lemons for supporting something. I just think it's weird that game developers don't look at the sales of non-Kickstarter games as an indication of interest in a certain genre. Why do they limit themselves to only seeing Kickstarter backing instead of just reading up on what did or didn't sell that was funded by methods that have a higher chance of success?

EVER SINGLE ONE ran over budget and over deadlines... he was fired from both Wing commander AND Freelancer for ... going over budget and scope

the Wing Commander movie was a flop late over budget to big in scope ...

and all of it only got done because the studio or investors firef him or threatened to pull funding

seeing a pattern here

You do realize the majority of the funding did not come from the Kickstarter campaign, right? People are more upset (rightfully so) that he continues to push back release dates, selling ships for hundreds of dollars that do not exist, and the major HR issues that (coincidentally?) involve the head of HR/Marketing, his actress wife.

Kickstarter has very little to do with the issues that are plaguing Star Citizen.

Seen this with so many Kickstarters.

Someone whips up an idea and gets a few others enthused for it and they slap it up on Kickstarter.

Next thing they have $XXXXXXXXXXXXX and actually haven't done any research or groundwork that would have told them it was feasible in the first place. You know...the boring business stuff. Gets in the way of signing leases on nice offices, workstations, coffee machines and fussball tables.

Big chasm of reality and effort between a grand plan and an achievable plan.

Could have all been avoided with a hour or so of sober brainstorming on a flipchart in someone's kitchen.

This...so much this. Every one of my startups has always started (aha!) with a long ass brainstorming session, and then at least 1-2 weeks of preparatory research, assembling everything, etc.

so when it comes to kickstarter, youre basically just donating money, right? nothing is legally binding?

for now

FTC is considering that companies have quarterly or annual reports so backers can see where the money is going

Back