Star Citizen Switching To Amazon's Lumberyard Game Engine

ITS THE SAME GOD DAMNED ENGINE
All those "numerous customizations and code" was easily ported, BECAUSE ITS THE SAME GOD DAMNED ENGINE.
No one cares if it took 3 minutes or 2 days or whatever else you want to make believe and hope is true. It's done already and working exactly as it should.
Not a programmer are you? If you customize the engine, it's no longer the same as the original engine. Likewise, Amazon has customized their engine.

Much smaller changes can easily take more than 2 days to complete, never mind all the regression testing that's required.

People yelling "PONZI SCHEME", don't seem to even know the basics of what a Ponzi scheme is.

Hint: no "investors" are getting money. Not a dime, never have, never planned to never will. Thus, the whole idea of SC being a Ponzi scheme is... well bullshit.

Lets not even get into "OMG nothing has changed in forever". Which again, is either an out right lie, or you just are not paying much attention.

In a Ponzi scheme you have to keep raking in money in order to pay what was promised to the earlier investors.

SC is like a Ponzi scheme in that they have to keep raking in money in order to deliver the game they promised to earlier backers.

In a Ponzi scheme you have to keep raking in money in order to pay what was promised to the earlier investors.

SC is like a Ponzi scheme in that they have to keep raking in money in order to deliver the game they promised to earlier backers.
To everyone bitching that this isn't a Ponzi scheme, we'll just call this a Roberts scheme to get ahead of history :p

How many times is it needed to be posted that it's not possible. You can't go from one customized engine to another engine in one day. Everyone with knowledge of programming will tell you that you can't change an engine in a day. They built in numerous customizations and added their own code to support space flight and other features cryengine was not designed for.

CR is acting as a politician in this case trying to minimize the backlash. But instead he creates more by coming up with the 1 day timeframe.

I read his post everything in it to me suggests that they were prepping for the switch for almost a year. Which is the right way to do it. Continue development while keeping the fact in mind that you'll need to transfer everything to the completely new and untouched SDK by amazon. If you work with that in mind, then you're not loosing work later. But that is already a part of the switch procedure. It might only take a day to actually transfer the prepared code to the new sdk. But that preparation needs to be done. You must separate every bit of your own code from the SDK and remove or change anything that is specific to the cryengine sdk.

I'm not against the engine switch I'm against bullshitting.

I want the project to succeed I spent a lot of money on it. But that doesn't mean I let wishful thinking get in the way of my better judgement.

#Include OldCode.h
Include NewCode.h

There I just ported some stuff over.

No one knows the extent of this customization of what it entails to replace giant sections of it. I can see including libraries and commenting out unneeded things being done quickly. The porting may have just been that quick. Testing takes longer. 2.6 seemed to take forever for a release and they were still dealing with major bugs during the pre-ptu tests.

People here also seem to forget that they have old crytek engine developers on their development team.

Everyone also seems to forget that StarCitizen is just one part of a much larger development plan. We only see a fraction of what they have. We know they've done tons of video mocap and audio work for Squadron42. But Racing, Arena Commander, StarMarine are practically separate games in their own right. We simply don't know what they have and how deep the Chris Roberts rabbit hole goes. They've shown interactive missions, planetary landing, terrain physics, giant worms, etc. Everything is being worked on by different teams and slowly being integrated into the giant that is StarCitizen.

In any case I'm not actively playing 2.6. Not until they fix the starter ships physics grid problems. Here's hoping for 3.0.

Last edited:
Everyone also seems to forget that StarCitizen is just one part of a much larger development plan. We only see a fraction of what they have. We know they've done tons of video mocap and audio work for Squadron42. But Racing, Arena Commander, StarMarine are practically separate games in their own right. We simply don't know what they have and how deep the Chris Roberts rabbit hole goes. They've shown interactive missions, planetary landing, terrain physics, giant worms, etc. Everything is being worked on by different teams and slowly being integrated into the giant that is StarCitizen.

Racing! Dogfighting! Shooter! Hangar Exploration! It is all things to all people! Do you want a sidescroller? Star Citizen includes 12 high-octane side scrolling levels. Do you like sports? Space football! It's like football... IN SPACE! Not your thing? Tell us what you want and we'll say it's in STAR CITIZEN. Sign up today!

How about they get one fucking thing finished and out the door? Pick ONE and get it done so Chris can prove to everyone that he's no longer the same slob that can never finish a project before being forcibly removed and someone else stepping in to carry it over the finish line.

Last edited:
The things he listed are already available for people to play, they aren't just a bullet list of coming soon features.

The things he listed are already available for people to play, they aren't just a bullet list of coming soon features.

Its a few shoddy techdemos that feel more like something slopped together over a weekend playing around with the Cryengine SDK.

In no way do any of the demo modules feel like something $140mil dollars and 4-5yrs in development.

Last edited:

Over a full year of iterating on the PU and they couldn't even manage to add a relatively simple major mechanic like cargo/trading or commercial piloting, or, hell, a female PC. Let alone more complex and in depth mechanics like mining or exploration.

Its a few shoddy techdemos that feel more like something slopped together over a weekend playing around with the Cryengine SDK.

In no day do any of the demo modules feel like something $140mil dollars and 4-5yrs in development.

140mil and counting due to releases. Most of those "tech demos" were released long ago when they had a lot less money. 4-5 years is nothing for game development. Especially at the scope this game has.

Shenmue took 6 years
Starcraft 2 - 7 years
Spore - 8 years
Team fortress 2 - 9 years

Also keep in mind this is isn't an established studio/dev/publisher. They made multiple studios from the ground up all over the world and have created a working model that PEOPLE ARE PLAYING TODAY AND HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR A YEAR AND A HALF.

Over a full year of iterating on the PU and they couldn't even manage to add a relatively simple major mechanic like cargo/trading or commercial piloting, or, hell, a female PC. Let alone more complex and in depth mechanics like mining or exploration.

All of that is item 2.0 system. Which they've said was to be released at 3.0. We haven't had a "Full year of iterating the PU" We get updates with whatever they feel is ready for release with major milestones planned in large dotted releases.

And you just said relatively simple, major mechanic. I don't think you know what those mean or entail.

I never understood the day one hate this game has always gotten. People act like they've stolen money out of your own pocket and then punched you in the face. Who cares if people are spending thousands on virtual ships. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY AND YOU DO NOT GET TO DICTATE HOW PEOPLE SPEND THEIR FUNDS. I've paid $40 to support them because of wing commander and have gotten at least 20 hours of entertainment with future promises of a full experience.

Last edited:
65826197.jpg

All of that is item 2.0 system. Which they've said was to be released at 3.0. We haven't had a "Full year of iterating the PU"

Lol, when do you think the PU came out? It's been over a year. They have had a full year of iterating on the PU.

And you just said relatively simple, major mechanic. I don't think you know what those mean or entail.

Why don't you tell me.

I never understood the day one hate this game has always gotten. People act like they've stolen money out of your own pocket and then punched you in the face. Who cares if people are spending thousands on virtual ships. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY AND YOU DO NOT GET TO DICTATE HOW PEOPLE SPEND THEIR FUNDS. I've paid $40 to support them because of wing commander and have gotten at least 20 hours of entertainment with future promises of a full experience.

It is my money. You think everyone that hates on SC never gave them any money?

Why don't you chill a little bit while you're at it, Captain Capslock. Fanatics that scream and meltdown constantly are part of the reason SC gets so much hate, though it seems very few of the SC faithful are self aware enough to realize this.

Elder Scrolls Online 7 years
Elder Scrolls III : Morrowing 6 years
Diablo 3 - 11 years
L.A. Noire - 7 years
Final Fantasy XII - 6 years
Resident Evil 4 - 6 years
Dues Ex - 6 years
The Last Guardian - 7 Years
Mother 3 - 7 years, then cancelled, then 3 year revival for Game Boy Advance
Final fantasy XV - 10 years
Guild Wars 2 - 5 Years
Star Wars TOR - 5 years
Half life - 5 years
Fallout 3 - 6 years

Diablo 3 - 11 years
L.A. Noire - 7 years
Dues Ex - 6 years
Guild Wars 2 - 5 Years
Star Wars TOR - 5 years
Half life - 5 years
Fallout 3 - 6 years

And which one of those games asked me to fund it's development?

What were the development budgets for each?

And which one of those games asked me to fund it's development?

What were the development budgets for each?

1. Who care? When did Chris Roberts break into your home, hold a gun to your head and made you pay for Star Citizen?
2. Again who cares. Other people have funded this have brought their total to 140M. They originally asked for 2 Million, which is more in line with smaller game budgets. They didn't anticipate the demand, but it happened and stretch goals have pushed development back greatly. That doesn't mean it's vaporware or that they're "running away with our money".

1. Who care? When did Chris Roberts break into your home, hold a gun to your head and made you pay for Star Citizen?

He didn't. and I never implied anything of the sort, I said ASKED, ASKED me to fund it, you know... the same exact thing YOU said they did in your 2nd "point". Calm your rabid fanboy shit long enough to read what's posted.

2. Again who cares. Other people have funded this have brought their total to 140M. They originally asked for 2 Million, which is more in line with smaller game budgets. They didn't anticipate the demand, but it happened and stretch goals have pushed development back greatly. That doesn't mean it's vaporware or that they're "running away with our money".

They originally asked for 2 million.. great, they should have stopped there, we would have a game now (more than likely).
There is no "demand" they created the stretch goals, and wanted more money, at any time it could have been stopped ("Nope, thats all I need for this project, Thank You all!" before this game got stretch goaled out of existence.

Spend your money the way I want you to spend your money!!! Like only the things I like!! Waaaa Waaaaaaa.

hahaha, you know people are 5th degree trolling when their "complaint" is that company should have stopped selling stuff when it became too profitable!

hahaha, you know people are 5th degree trolling when their "complaint" is that company should have stopped selling stuff when it became too profitable!

When that "stuff" happens to be jpg's of ships though.....

There is no demand? They had double what they asked on kick starter when they started creating stretch goals, and they stopped those at 6million on kickstarter. But demand and funding wouldn't stop. People wanted more.. They no longer create stretch goals and ask for more, but demand is still there and continually grows. They stopped making goals and promises at an insane 65 million. Almost 2 million people have funded this game.

Yes they could have stopped at 2 million and been done, but they didn't because of that demand. The fans dictated that they don't stop at the original goal.

Of their original pledge :
  • Regular community updates. - We get this
  • Citizens with appropriate packages will get to play in the multiplayer dogfighting module. - We have had this for quite a while
  • Citizens with appropriate packages will receive access to the 30-mission Squadron 42 campaign upon release. - Still waiting but we've seen behind the scenes mo-cap, interviews and so on.

The persistent universe wasn't even introduced until they hit the 3 mil mark.

If you actually look through their funding-goals page you can see that a lot of what they've promised is actually either in the game already or has been shown off.

My only gripe with them is showing off new ships all the time. I don't doubt that they are working on everything else gameplay related and that we will see those released. But I'm tired of ships. I haven't even played since 2.4.

Give it a rest guys. This game is taking a long time, because they're a new company that had to do heavy modifications to the engine for it to work in a space sim and the reason they were able to convert it to Amazon's version of the engine is because they made virtually no changes to the engine, so they're essentially the same (aside form the additions that Amazon added).

Reactions: DPI
like this
This game is taking a long time, because they're a new company that had to do heavy modifications to the engine for it to work in a space sim

Or, it's taking a long time because Chris Robberts is a total boob that is incapable of managing anything properly without oversight and is more interested in playing Hollywood director.

Diablo 3 - 11 years
L.A. Noire - 7 years
Dues Ex - 6 years
Guild Wars 2 - 5 Years
Star Wars TOR - 5 years
Half life - 5 years
Fallout 3 - 6 years

But how many of them were in full active development that entire time? You can't tell me Diablo 3 had a full team dedicated to nothing but D3 that entire time.

Or, it's taking a long time because Chris Robberts is a total boob that is incapable of managing anything properly without oversight and is more interested in playing Hollywood director.
You totally didn't comprehend that post.

Please point out to me where I have done that.

You guys are really, really bad at this.
It was Pringle's argument and he wasn't the first or only. That's the level of trolling in this thread I don't know what you mean by "you guys" being bad about anything other than pointing out the deficient points being brought up in this thread which I did perfectly well. Your own post indicates that you aren't here to talk with people but that you have an agenda with an axe to grind and it's about winning some forum argument. Congratulations, you win! What did you win? Maybe some of those nifty jpgs...

It was Pringle's argument and he wasn't the first or only.

Then say it in response to him instead of me? I thought that was generally how forums operated.

I don't know what you mean by "you guys" being bad about anything

Bad at making good arguments in defense of SC.

Your own post indicates that you aren't here to talk with people but that you have an agenda with an axe to grind and it's about winning some forum argument. Congratulations, you win! What did you win? Maybe some of those nifty jpgs...

Nah. It's more about providing an alternative viewpoint to that of the true believers that tend to get really ALL CAPPSY angry and try and shout down anything that isn't overwhelming praise for the beautiful creations of glorious leader Christ Crobberts.

You know, everything about Star Citizen sits fine with me except the goddamn ships. It's mind boggling how Backers are just accepting and even buying into that. There's a couple psychopaths in the subthread who if Im understanding it properly, thousands of dollars on what it is essentially DLC skins for a game that isn't anywhere close to completed if it ever will be. Do they not understand how insane that is?

You know, everything about Star Citizen sits fine with me except the goddamn ships. It's mind boggling how Backers are just accepting and even buying into that. There's a couple psychopaths in the subthread who if Im understanding it properly, thousands of dollars on what it is essentially DLC skins for a game that isn't anywhere close to completed if it ever will be. Do they not understand how insane that is?

Said it before and I'll say it again, Star Citizen backers/apologists/enablers, are a fucking cult.

There's a couple psychopaths in the subthread who if Im understanding it properly, thousands of dollars on what it is essentially DLC skins for a game that isn't anywhere close to completed if it ever will be.

I would say, of those who spent thousands of dollars on ship jpgs, most of them did it for the in-game advantage those ships provide them with.

Of course, this isn't considered "pay-to-win" in their eyes because............................

Back