Star Citizen Squadron 42 Delayed

HardOCP News

[H] News
I just noticed that Star Citizen Squadron 42 has been delayed until 2017. Supposedly the core tech is done but there is still a lot work to be done like CPU and GPU optimizations and so on. Head on over to Blue's News for the complete rundown.

The first chapter of the single-player side of the space simulator was most recently supposed to come to backers this year, but this news confirms rumors of a delay that surfaced last month. On the bright side, Eurogamer notes that Cloud Imperium Games released a new video showing off how planets will be procedurally generated in the game, along with other tidbits.

I never really believed I'll be playing it this year.

YouDon'tSay.jpg

You gotta hand it to Chris Roberts though, Star Ponzi is a brilliant scheme: sell jpgs of space yachts to manchildren for thousands of dollars, put out half baked playable tech demos every couple years to keep the illusion going, and people will KEEP giving you their money - for a decade!

Last edited:
Not surprised. But this is OK with me; way too much going on here on the home front right now and things probably won't get back to some kind of normal until after the holidays.
Hopefully I'll have a upgraded system at that point and will be ready for some serious gaming.

Reactions: Korrd
like this
I backed way back in the early days for cheap, only for S42. I don't give a crap about the persistent universe/MMO thing, I just want a modern version of Wing Commander. I'm willing to wait if it takes them some more time to polish it up, there's plenty to do between now and whenever.

By the time this game is actually release i wont have the time to devote to it like i do now which sucks because i really wanted to binge this with my friend when it came out.

Wow, Blue's News has the most dated code and visual appearance of any still-active website I've seen. Very 2001.

In 2017 it will be delayed until 4th quarter and in 4th quarter it will be delayed until 2018. It is going to be hysterical when some of these people realize they have been taken for a ride for thousands of dollars for a game that at best will be NMS level of delivery in comparison to the promises made.

I don't know why anyone is shocked a Chris Roberts game is delayed.

Anyone remember Strike Commander? 4+ years and barely any of the dev made it to the final product.

How much have they been given now? Fifty times the amount of money they originally asked for? How many years late is it?

Wouldn't be so bad if the initial game promised was released and the stretch goal stuff gradually added. But this just looks like we'll get an incomplete, half assed mess thrown onto the shelves just so they can say they actually released it shortly before the company goes under.

Not surprised. Given that they started in Oct 2012 with 15 people and had to build the company dynamically based on unknown levels of funding at the same time as developing the game, I think they've come a long way in making two ambitious games at once. The tech behind it is pretty amazing too.

Not surprised. Given that they started in Oct 2012 with 15 people and had to build the company dynamically based on unknown levels of funding at the same time as developing the game, I think they've come a long way in making two ambitious games at once. The tech behind it is pretty amazing too.
^ thus human being gets it not forgetting all assets are made from scratch, they had to not only learn the game engine but to also tweak it and change it.

^ thus human being gets it not forgetting all assets are made from scratch, they had to not only learn the game engine but to also tweak it and change it.

AKA: spend years hacking the hell out of CryEngine to make it suitable for simulating a huge open space you can fly around in.

Actually, this isn't too bad a delay in the scheme or things, and the amount of time it's being pushed back seems like a reasonable amount of time for them to do what's on that list. Quite realistic. Whether it actually happens, I guess we'll have to wait and see, but it seems reasonable from what I know of dev and QA schedules. It's actually good to see that the bulk is done, and that they actually intend to spend time on optimization, fleshing out the combat, etc. A lot of companies would shove it out the door, and rely on a few early patches to get this stuff done.

Sure I want to see this released, so I can play it, but I'd rather it was done right. If they get this first episode out in early 2017, I'm totally happy.

like this
I think they've come a long way in making two ambitious games at once.

How do you know how far they've come making Squadron 42? They've shown virtually nothing of it, which is hardly encouraging at this stage. And no, I don't buy the "because spoilers" excuses. They can't even put together a teaser trailer after 4 years of development?

Not surprised. I'm still following development every couple of weeks. They're hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for the core engine and gameplay features.

It's catch 22. They need all the core functions in place except for maybe the MMO economy to get S42 out. At the same time they need to get the core gameplay and features nailed in or they can't get the MMO done.

They are supposed to be the same game in the same universe. If you have the S42 single player be a completely different game than the persistent online universe is that would make it kind of jarring and not the "lead in" that it's supposed to be for multiplayer.

Ambitious. And hopefully the master list of things to do is getting short for the S42 release.

The 3.0 tech was impressive. Very encouraging video from a few weeks ago. My primary question now is WHERE is the bulk of the universe design and how is it going? They should be WAY in on content creation by now. The art departments have been going full tilt for a couple of years. It's time to start talking about when and how the next few star systems are going to go in and when we can start seeing mission progression and economy.

like this
This games single player won't hit till 2018 or perhaps 2019. They are waiting for Unity to catch up with the Cry engine... so they can throw all their JPGs together with a Unity "Star ship" bundle. Its a win win for everyone... players get a game, Roberts gets a yacht and a kick ass new home theater.

The first thing I did was say: You got to be kidding me and laughed well saying it. :D

I backed way back in the early days for cheap, only for S42. I don't give a crap about the persistent universe/MMO thing, I just want a modern version of Wing Commander. I'm willing to wait if it takes them some more time to polish it up, there's plenty to do between now and whenever.
Agree and they haven't gotten any more out of me than the initial purchase/pledge. Loved Wing Commander back when I was a kid. Real fun time.

What the shit? It was intended for a 2016 release? hahahahaha *add more uncontrollable laughter*... I wasn't expecting this until 2030
Not even the full game, just a portion of the game. And they delayed even that bit.

This is what shows to some one who is not logged in today...
Stretch Goals - Roberts Space Industries
Star Citizen Live Stats
Funds Raised
$127,422,378
Star Citizens

That is a staggering amount of money to make a single player game... to make a single player game that part of an MMO... well kingdoms or amular tried to do that with known developers and ran out of money. The single player game was fun but many people said it was too short. I'm pretty sure that they were having issues with several systems working together without wiping out all the system memory on people's systems, until they figured out how to rebuild a system from another program then use it for a bunch of other things. Which got the engine running more things on the screen. If you look at the models they went from smoke and mirrors old school normal map a low resolution cage with a spec map on it to actually building more of the details and texturing them using the normal maps to add more detail instead try to create all the lighting info.

From playing the alpha they have a flight sim at this point, and sorta an fps, it needs more to do, but that is something you can see and play with. As to if they can build all the things they promised... as long as the people working on the game know how to do research is a many of building it before they run out of time. money to pay their salaries and people still interested in playing the game. At this point I think they have enough people that have spent their own money that would rather have a working game than say you have to meet this mile stone or throw away all the money spent... I know I have sunk money into the game but I can log in walk around a hanger with ships in it and load the flight sim which is not as complete as some of the nicer flight sims but is more functional at this point than some I have paid money for. I am waiting to see where they go with it but if they only thing they did was over charge for in game assets.... wellll I think at this point every mmo does that.

Agree and they haven't gotten any more out of me than the initial purchase/pledge. Loved Wing Commander back when I was a kid. Real fun time.

It was a well loved game. Roberts started working on some classics... the problem is he never really finished anything with his name attached to it. Even the old WC games, he had to have the money men step in and push completion on all of them... he almost dragged Origin under more then once even back then. I wouldn't be shocked if in the next year he announced X or Y big publisher is buying Cloud Imp, and they release a version of the game a year later. (like more then one of his previous games) lol

I preordered every installment. As soon as they had my copy I got over there asap, came home, and played almost non stop until finishing. Then replayed it a few times afterwards. Hard to recapture the kind of magic that game had. Just got my imagination going and was able to immerse myself in it. Harder to do that now that I'm 40 lol

All the people with very hardline opinions on this either really don't understand their studio wasn't fully staffed until like a year and half ago, or have no concept of development pipelines. The reason for the delay was he doesn't want to show the SQ42 campaign until at least one chapter of it is completely polished. He's very much so gone for the "OMG WOW" responses, this is readily apparent in the majority of the way things are released.

He could have released SQ42 content in an unpolished state, and had people pull a witcher 3 esque response.. or wait a few months and drop the first chapter in late '16 or early '17 and have people blown away. In either of those choices, the same people still bitch and moan because they aren't hearing the news they want. Yeah, a third option of 'show what you have now' is there, but I don't think it's better than either of the other options really.

like this
It was a well loved game. Roberts started working on some classics... the problem is he never really finished anything with his name attached to it. Even the old WC games, he had to have the money men step in and push completion on all of them... he almost dragged Origin under more then once even back then. I wouldn't be shocked if in the next year he announced X or Y big publisher is buying Cloud Imp, and they release a version of the game a year later. (like more then one of his previous games) lol
That's pretty much what happened to Ascendant Pictures. The buyer cleared out all his debt because he got blacklisted from Hollywood. He was supposed to distribute the movie Outlander through Weinstein but he didn't like their arrangements so they tried to find another distributor like Sony. That fell through and Weinstein fucked them hard over on it and released it in limited theaters to shit all over Roberts. That's pretty much the reason why they're trying to buy their way back into Hollywood with Star Citizen.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Hmmm to bad, oh well I sold off all my "lti" ships and made my money off the game, got a ps4 out of the profits lol. Use to be so optimistic for the game in 2013, Still have hopes for the game but I only have $30 into the game now as I just don't trust them to deliver anymore

So let me get this straight. He's delaying the delayed module from the delay that was before that delay? I guess that gives them extra, extra, extra time to sell more pictures of ships.

What's the point in delaying the SP campaign to sell more ships that are strictly for the MP side of the game?

I'm disappointed but also hoping that means a more polished experience. SQ42 is the main thing I wanted out of Star Citizen, so if they get that right I'll be happy.

This is what happens when there is no real oversight on such project and why lI don't donate. Should lawyer up on their asses. Show the Millions donated, and nothing to show. They would lose in court. Pay back donations and go bankrupt in the process.

What's the point in delaying the SP campaign to sell more ships that are strictly for the MP side of the game?

I'm disappointed but also hoping that means a more polished experience. SQ42 is the main thing I wanted out of Star Citizen, so if they get that right I'll be happy.

I wouldn't know as I haven't spent one dime on this game or know much about it. All I do is comment on it every time it's been delayed.

This is what happens when there is no real oversight on such project and why lI don't donate. Should lawyer up on their asses. Show the Millions donated, and nothing to show. They would lose in court. Pay back donations and go bankrupt in the process.

that's odd, I have seen something having been created.

like this
I'm pretty sure Squadron 42 will come out before the end of 2018, who knows if it will be any good, but they'll push it out the door at some point.

Back