Star Citizen Selling A $900 Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Eve Online have ships that people trade on the side for $5k to $10k?.
Not the same at all. While EVE does have a few ships that take quite a lot of time and effort to obtain (unless you steal one from someone), the developers (CCP) do not sell them. That would be between players on a secondary market and is against the EULA of the game. The developers do not profit from those kinds of transactions at all. This is not unique to EVE and is prevalent throughout many MMOs. EVE has also been around as a complete and shipped game for over 12 years now.

"Chris Roberts here. It's time once again to open your galactic wallets, space commanders! Help me realize my vision for MANUAL LANDINGS in Star Ponzi - the new $125 million stretch goal! Third person cutscene landings are cool and all, but MANUAL LANDINGS WOULD BE THE COOLEST THING EVER!

No money? No problem. Do you have copper plumbing? You should tear it out of the walls and sell the scrap to afford your imaginary space yacht! It's totally worth it and anybody who says otherwise doesn't appreciate the beauty of my vision. General Roberts out."

W7NVF9R.jpg

Doesn't Eve Online have ships that people trade on the side for $5k to $10k?

Not as such.

Because you can buy game time for real-life cash and then sell it to other people as an in-game item ("PLEX"), that sets a conversion rate between real money and the in-game currency ("ISK"). People can then use that to claim that the titan they killed/lost was "worth" $2000, or that a massive battle destroyed $150,000 in supercapitals. Nobody is actually buying $2000 worth of PLEX to raise enough ISK for a titan -- people who buy them simply know how to legitimately (or illegitimately) acquire massive amounts of ISK in-game.

However, some people do sell PLEX to fund their small ship PVP habits, where $20 could keep them in frigates and destroyers for a couple weeks or months. This lets them avoid dozens of hours spent grinding Eve's debatably-lackluster PvE for ISK, so they can get right down to the PvP they prefer.

I've been having a blast with Vanduul Swarm multiplayer with my friends in SC the last few weeks too.

There is still a game forming under there, is all I'm saying.

I will be first in line to verbally beat down Chris and his team if they go under before finishing. But I'm watching the project right now. They're going balls to the wall on this. It's AAA development. Is there enough money to finish before going dry? Whothehellknows.

How is Elite going anyway? I almost picked up Dangerous on sale a few days ago, until I realized that it was discounted into the bargain bin because Horizons was coming soon. I can't quite figure what you get with which package right now. Is Horizons the entire game, Dangerous PLUS the new season content? Or do you have to buy Dangerous first? Or what? It's not very clear on their site.

Or the American dollar.

hold on, that valuable, and totally real, currency is backed by the full faith and credit of the federal government, and, I mean, that HAS to be worth something...right?

hold on, that valuable, and totally real, currency is backed by the full faith and credit of the federal government, and, I mean, that HAS to be worth something...right?

Listening to some of the idiots at my work the answer is yes. Every time something comes up about the government on the verge of collapse or the world ending they talk about how they don't keep their money in the bank but keep it at home so that when everything collapses they still have their cash. I try to explain how at that point the money has no value if there is no government, they can't grasp that and argue how it is still worth something because everyone will still take money. Can't get them to understand how currency works.

Funny that the line says "credit" because that American dollar might as well be Chinese money (because of all the treasuries that China has bought from the U.S. so that the U.S. government can still operate).

I dont know why but as much as i want this game to succeed... it would be so much more spectacular to watch it burn.

Listening to some of the idiots at my work the answer is yes. Every time something comes up about the government on the verge of collapse or the world ending they talk about how they don't keep their money in the bank but keep it at home so that when everything collapses they still have their cash. I try to explain how at that point the money has no value if there is no government, they can't grasp that and argue how it is still worth something because everyone will still take money. Can't get them to understand how currency works.

If they kept Gold or Silver, then they might have a point. Paper money would be absolutely worthless.

When this game was first announced I was THRILLED. But as it's progressed...yeah, not so much. I'm really glad I didn't have the money to back it when they first announced it.

Good morning team. Yesterday I apparently blew our next week's budget (again) on hookers in the midst of a coke-fueled binge.

Better get to pimping out $1,000 ships!

I think the scope of this whole project has become obscene. However, if people are going to pay for it then good for them for selling it. A sucker is born everyday. I'll fly my $35 kickstarter with a smile if and when the game comes out.

Can you walk about this ship and operate things or is it just an external 3D model? Not buying it, just curious to know why they think it is worth $900.00. But then Adobe thought Photoshop 4.0 was worth $900.00 too so I can see their point of view.

Photoshop can enable you to build things like said $900 space ship. ;)

Even if this comes out a well polished and a fun overall game in a reasonable time frame (which is unlikely, since they are profiting on selling the massively hyped up IDEA of a game more than an actual game so its hard for reality to meet up to dreams), its ultimately a cancer on the gaming industry that we should not tolerate.

Its the exact same type of whaling practices that we see in Chinese mobile gaming, and it can and does harm people. And when a damn video game is harming people, something that is just supposed to be fun to pass the time, something is seriously wrong. Just as we heard those stories of people going into debt because of a stupid simple video game on their phone that was designed to milk people of thousands of dollars, I am absolutely confident that before long we will start getting wind of the same thing for Star Citizen.

Its simply a predatory business practice the preys upon certain individuals in society that will end up laying down huge sums of money for a variety of reasons, which is simply unreasonable and outright wrong and they should feel ashamed for taking advantage of people like this.

What's with the latest attack on Star Citizen? Ships for $700+ have been sold since almost the beginning, why now are we seeing a bunch of news posts about this?

What's with the latest attack on Star Citizen? Ships for $700+ have been sold since almost the beginning, why now are we seeing a bunch of news posts about this?

In part because they now have ~ $90 million. When they were raising money that was one thing, but now they do have a significant amount that ideally should cover most of the costs. Although I wonder how much the marketing expenses were. Those videos, brochures, web series ect. were not cheap. They likely have to keep multiple people on board to develop those. A lot of people think there is "no marketing" in Star Citizen, but that is flat out wrong. Regardless, $90 million isn't something to scoff at. At this point we'd be hoping they had enough to cover most of the development costs but it looks like the retail game is still years away.

Smoeki summed it up

Just the ignorant,

Plus it is only a $350-500 Depending on which version you want. (whiuch is about normal when it comes to large multi crew ships they generally all range in the $350+ Range, and this ship is no different.

The $900 Package is just for the few people that actually want every possible module available for it, which you can't even use all at once, and it includes a $100 bundle discount, it is really only aimed at a select few backers, much like all the other high tier packages.

A little bit of research could of told people that, but they managed to decide without research that it was a $900 ship lol.

There has been a $1,100 battlepack, $2,700 Fleet pack, $5,000 War Pack, $10,000 Wing Commander pack, $15,000 Completionist pack, and now there is a $900 Endeavor Master Set

It is really not news or surprising in any way.

Its simply a predatory business practice the preys upon certain individuals in society that will end up laying down huge sums of money for a variety of reasons, which is simply unreasonable and outright wrong and they should feel ashamed for taking advantage of people like this.

I'm fairly certain that when Chris Roberts disappears to a small island in the caribbean with a boy toy and rare collection of teacups from the Liberaci auction, the only shame he'll feel is not having done it sooner.

I've been having a blast with Vanduul Swarm multiplayer with my friends in SC the last few weeks too.

There is still a game forming under there, is all I'm saying.

I will be first in line to verbally beat down Chris and his team if they go under before finishing. But I'm watching the project right now. They're going balls to the wall on this. It's AAA development. Is there enough money to finish before going dry? Whothehellknows.

How is Elite going anyway? I almost picked up Dangerous on sale a few days ago, until I realized that it was discounted into the bargain bin because Horizons was coming soon. I can't quite figure what you get with which package right now. Is Horizons the entire game, Dangerous PLUS the new season content? Or do you have to buy Dangerous first? Or what? It's not very clear on their site.

Elite Horizons includes the new game "Horizons" plus "Dangerous"

Out of the $18.6 trillion US debt, China only owns $1.3 trillion as of June (that's 7 percent of the US debt), and China is currently selling off US debt, not buying more.

The debt is 18,4 trillion and frozen. The US debt was frozen by the treasury this past march. The treasury has suspened the reporting of our debt ever since. It is said that if the debt was reported today it would exceed 21 trillion dollars

Good morning team. Yesterday I apparently blew our next week's budget (again) on hookers in the midst of a coke-fueled binge.

Better get to pimping out $1,000 ships!

You must be talking about Mark over at FrozenCPU.

Well, you know, you throw in heated leather seat and adaptive cruise control and it just kind of adds up.

I was in the hole $200 for this game, then after 2 years Ruth nothing to show I sold my ships to a friend (who is in for $1000's).

I would like to add some perspective based on my experience with everquest in the late 90s / early 2000s. Back then I sold a single item in the game for $750. A cloak of flames, a rare drop off a dragon that took 50-100 people to kill.

I'm guessing the person that bought the cloak:

1. Played Everquest.
2. Really liked Everquest.
3. Knew how hard it was to get the cloak.

Plus, you know, Everquest actually existed at the time.

Few key differences.

Come on guys, don't get all crazy. They've got fans willing to pay it. So, good on them.

They sold a bunch of the $1000 Idris ships earlier in the funding process too.

Yes, it's insane, but consider the typical WoW player. People buying these ships are essentially paying up front for their total contribution to the game. If you use the $15 a month WoW MMO model, that's 2.5 years worth of subscription. So not so insane in those terms. They're saying "I'm willing to give you all the years worth of profit you hope to make off of me, up front."

Nope. Prepaying for five years of WoW years before WoW was even close to existing is still batshit insane.

And your point is incorrect anyway. People spending lots of money on SC right now aren't likely to stop when (if) the game goes live. They'll be paying subscriptions for perks and buying credits and whatever other crap CR decides to sell them.

I dont think people have an issue with people spending money on games. Hell, a lot of us here probably have spent some money that we technically "wasted" on stupid in game shit but at least it was available and we enjoyed it.

This game has been pushed back MULTIPLE times, and is still over a year out from being "released" with no date set in stone and over 90 million given to them. Its RIDICULOUS and people need to stop supporting this bullshit. I am sorry, but I do not want this to pan out. Is the game idea neat? Yes... But if this works out, what happens when major corporations goto crowd funding. Fuck that.

Back when it was "almost the beginning", there weren't rumors of CR having money problems, so it wasn't news. Now there are, so it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back