Star Citizen Selling A $900 Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know what to say....

I still am not getting the whole buying DLC before the game is out thing. This game is toxic to the industry and just makes me wish ubisoft or EA would buy them out.

Someone please explain to me how something like this even exists.
Because the game doesn't, and they feel they can leech off peoples memory of some other space empire type of game where you can have "bad ass" ships.

LOL, didn't we just finally end a 12 page discussion about how ridiculous these devs are being with their in-game buyable content for a game that still doesn't exist because of excessive feature creep due to their budget ego?

How long before a fanboy jumps in this thread and starts posting something about how everything in the game works but it turns out to be nothing more than some fanfic they made up?

LOL, didn't we just finally end a 12 page discussion about how ridiculous these devs are being with their in-game buyable content for a game that still doesn't exist because of excessive feature creep due to their budget ego?

How long before a fanboy jumps in this thread and starts posting something about how everything in the game works but it turns out to be nothing more than some fanfic they made up?

I just pictured someone yelling at some 15 year old "your LIFE is a fanfic! Now shut up!!"

So much hate on EA/Activision on this forum, but we wouldn't have AAA games without them.

This is what the industry would be if left to the creative types "who care about PC gamers".

The publishers are the business people that make our hobby go.

Because now were mired in a Programmatic Ponzi. They need to sell those $900 ships today to fund the coding of ships sold two years ago (Starfarer anyone?) as well as the base game. It's going to be years before the coding of the $900 Endeavor begins and that is just art elements. Plus they have to find a way to interject the Endeavor ship gameplay elements into SC (farming on the ship, research, etc). And when it comes time to code the Endeavor, how are they going to fund it? By selling more concept ships that you won't see for years, I presume.

There is no possible way this is sustainable.

I wonder if anyone even buys these excessively prices digital POS ships that aren't worth anything tangible.

I bought into this game very early on, but I'm seriously considering boycotting it because of the ridiculous creep and utterly crazy pricing model. If this ship was maybe $40 it might be ok, but $900? I don't care how good the game is, they can fuck off.

The real question is why wouldn't they offer it? The worst that can happen is that nobody buys it, but think of the alternative.

That's nothing. There are 10k skins on cs go out there. But in all fairness, it's a hobby just like golf and racing. You spend money on the things you like. Where as some care about physical things, others not so much.

Yeah so that "ship" is actually "only" $350, but if you buy every single option available, it comes to $900, which they will sell to you in one convenient package.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Standalone-Ships/Endeavor-Base-LTI

If you guys haven't figured out yet that crowd funding projects work in large part because of the "whales", then, well... here's your newsflash: You get a lot more money in your crowdfunded project if you figure out how to sell to people commonly known as "whales".

Vegas has been doing this for years. Same with your sports teams and their luxury boxes. There's nothing wrong with it unless you hate capitalism.

Come on guys, don't get all crazy. They've got fans willing to pay it. So, good on them.

They sold a bunch of the $1000 Idris ships earlier in the funding process too.

Yes, it's insane, but consider the typical WoW player. People buying these ships are essentially paying up front for their total contribution to the game. If you use the $15 a month WoW MMO model, that's 2.5 years worth of subscription. So not so insane in those terms. They're saying "I'm willing to give you all the years worth of profit you hope to make off of me, up front."

Note, I did NOT say that's a good idea in general. But they are willing to part with it.

For $45 you can get the Aurora or Mustang package which gets you into the game, from where you can work your way up to buying one of the other ships through gameplay. That's right in line with the cost of any other game. No one is under any obligation to buy these ships.

It's just how much they love the idea of this game. I'm not that crazy personally, even though I do have fond memories of Wing Commander, Strike Commander and Freelancer.

I've got around $80 into it at this point. If I like what I see when the mini-PU comes out in a few months and can see how the Space, FPS and MMO persistent universe concepts work together, I'll toss a little more money at them to keep them going.

Can you walk about this ship and operate things or is it just an external 3D model? Not buying it, just curious to know why they think it is worth $900.00. But then Adobe thought Photoshop 4.0 was worth $900.00 too so I can see their point of view.

I bought the pretty basic package for this game for $45 quite a while ago. I check in on it every few months to see how it is coming along.

The only reason I bought into it is because of Chris Roberts is the one running the show.

The Wing Commander games of old are still some of my favorites, and if they can pull this off, it is going to be one crazy fun game.. and HUGE.

My math was bad. That's 5 years of typical subscription.

But the point still stands. If you're THAT rabid of a fan, then be parted from your money I guess.

The business model these devs are using will not work. They are putting allot of effort into something bound to fail. Up until today I had never heard of this nonsense. Kinda makes me sick to my stomach.

That's nothing. There are 10k skins on cs go out there. But in all fairness, it's a hobby just like golf and racing. You spend money on the things you like. Where as some care about physical things, others not so much.

Difference is that... the ship you are buying is not tangible, and it might never be released should the game be cancelled.

On the other hand... you can beat the crap out of something with a golf club :D

Doesn't Eve Online have ships that people trade on the side for $5k to $10k?

i don't think there are any big money issues with the company. Eager to see this game.

So from what I'm reading on reddit etc, this is to fund previous ships etc to be programmed/made.

This sounds like ponzi game programming.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
So from what I'm reading on reddit etc, this is to fund previous ships etc to be programmed/made.

I completely agree with you. It stinks of a ponzi scheme at this point. The game is still in Alpha and I heard they are burning through cash at a rapid rate. :(

That's cheaper than some previous ships!

Indeed. Nothing new here...

The whole game is built upon the marketing of Chris Robert's name and reputation. Either he and his team deliver, or they don't.

Such is the way crowd funding works, pretty simple really.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Aww come on. You guys are being too hard on it. Remember, without Star Citizen, PC gaming is doomed to just be a bunch of unfinished games riddled with DLC and microtransactions.

I would like to add some perspective based on my experience with everquest in the late 90s / early 2000s. Back then I sold a single item in the game for $750. A cloak of flames, a rare drop off a dragon that took 50-100 people to kill. Around the time I quit the game I sold 1.5 million platinum(game currency) for over $3,500. The point is that there are gamers out there that come from all economic backgrounds, someone who is a multi millionaire might not bat an eye at $900 if it meant sparing them the inconvenience of spending tons of man hours grinding cash for an Uber ship. No one needs a Lamborghini but some are willing to pay for one. This should not be surprising. Imo good for them for being able to monetize all levels of their player base so long as everyone has access to the same toys if they want to put forth the effort.

What does it matter? Honestly? If they sold a $2mil ship would that be more or less outrageous?

If someone is willing to pay for it, by all means...

Didn't they just lose a lot of people? Yet again, people buying things form a company / group that is going down the drains and people will still throw money at them.

The latest speculation about what's going on inside CIG seems to confirm this. Worst case scenario is that by Q1 2016 they will have burnt through their funding. These expensive ship sales were predicted. Stay tuned folks because this is going to get ugly.

My math was bad. That's 5 years of typical subscription.

But the point still stands. If you're THAT rabid of a fan, then be parted from your money I guess.

Sure, but you have to point out that those paying that 5 year subscription are doing so in trade for a Complete game they are actively playing that is also constantly being updated. Also where things like this are an additional cost, so really this doesn't compare to the subscription in the least. It compares to the mounts and crap Blizzard sold.

Doesn't Eve Online have ships that people trade on the side for $5k to $10k?

i don't think there are any big money issues with the company. Eager to see this game.

Players themselves assigning a value and trading with each other is a WORLD different than developers straight up selling it.

Sorry, this just represents everything that is wrong with gaming.

I just blew $ 700.00 for a Asus GTX 980ti Poseidon video card and that was a stretch for a piece of HARDWARE . Anyone who can blow $900.00 on something like this has too much money and / or too few brain cells.:rolleyes:

I just blew $ 700.00 for a Asus GTX 980ti Poseidon video card and that was a stretch for a piece of HARDWARE . Anyone who can blow $900.00 on something like this has too much money and / or too few brain cells.:rolleyes:

People that aren't into video games could say the same to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back