Star Citizen Selling A $900 Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
More unfathomable to me is the sort of person who buys these ships. They must have quite a bit of disposable income, while being single. So then—most likely a physically repulsive male with a good paying IT job who can't get laid even with cash to blow.

well, as much as I think those sort of people DO exist, I met a guy working for the defence department who was pretty average to above average looking who has spent hundreds on SC.

Some people REALLY find value in this. Like people who spend thousands on model planes or skiing gear, its a hobby.

I don't quite feel the same, but I at least understand it.

I just blew $ 700.00 for a Asus GTX 980ti Poseidon video card and that was a stretch for a piece of HARDWARE . Anyone who can blow $900.00 on something like this has too much money and / or too few brain cells.:rolleyes:

In 1 or 2 years that $700.00 is going to be an obsolete brick sitting in your closet, on a shelf, or in a dumpster somewhere. In 1 to 2 years, someone can still be enjoying their 900.00 in Star Citizen without worrying about legacy driver support :p

Anyone who buys $900 DLC is retarded.

I did buy about 800 worth of DLCs over the past 3 years for Train Simulator, but at least those are playable and finished products, and not just a promise of something that might or might not happen in a few years.

In 1 or 2 years that $700.00 is going to be an obsolete brick sitting in your closet, on a shelf, or in a dumpster somewhere. In 1 to 2 years, someone can still be enjoying their 900.00 in Star Citizen without worrying about legacy driver support :p

It takes about 5-6 years for a piece of hardware to become legacy, and another 5-6 on top to be a worthless obsolete brick.

Except there are no money problems. They have the full game 70% done, the single player portion of the game (which is a AAA title all by itself) 90% done, and they have no debt. And no publisher to take 70% of the sales away from them.

If they actually ran out of money, which is in no way a threat to actually happen, they still have the capability to raise capital the regular ways, through bank loans, venture capital / private investors, etc. They have zero debt, and a huge cash reserve, and an actual game they can show to prospective investors.

Or for more funding they could simply sell more ships. Or they could rush out the FPS portion of the game instead of perfecting it first. I guarantee once the beta of the FPS portion (Star Marine) comes out, they will get crazy amounts of money from new pledges. They could have that money already, but Chris Roberts is a perfectionist and likes to do things the "right" way. The fact that they have no publisher enables them to not chase the easy coin (which will actually make them more money in the long run, probably).

The "money problem" is an imagination of Derek Smart, done to bring attention to his own game which has suffered terrible reviews, just like his old games. It has zero basis in reality.

DFM and hanger would have been 'perfect' on release if that was the case.

He's not pulling shit out of his ass, he just doesn't have time to look up the Ten For the Chairman episode where the figure was stated. Wildace clearly keeps track of development of SC, which is more than I can say for the rest of you naysayers, who are naysaying on hearsay and ignorance.

For example, players are going to be 5% of the universe's population. The rest are NPCs. There won't be a flag that says "this enemy or friend is a player and not an NPC". All this has been stated by Chris Roberts.

The 10 or 20 million figure was just a calculation based on estimating how many people will play the game, multiplied by 20 to account for only 5% of all entities being players. You can make a very conservative guess on the number of players by looking at today's number of backers. If you do that, you'll get the figure quoted.

2nd example: The Idris holds ~100 characters, 10 of which are designed to be players, the rest NPCs. If you don't upgrade the guns and man the stations with actual players your $1200 ship is not going to last long in a fight. They didn't design the game to have one ship to beat them all, in fact they've said from the start that the big expensive ships still have serious weaknesses that can and will be exploited by your enemies, whether player or NPC. Then why do people get them you ask, or maybe you say, "how can they do this, the people spending all this money will be outraged!" Some will, but tough luck to them, because pledges are to help develop the game, not to acquire ships. You agree to this when you buy anything with RL money in SC. (<southpark>Why won't it read?</southpark>)

3rd example: Huge cargo haulers don't have a huge advantage over your $45 starter ship. Why? Because jump points are actually wormholes of varying sizes. Your Aurora can fit through the smallest jump points, but that huge ship cannot. The huge ship has to make 4 jumps to go to the same place your Aurora can make in 1 jump (for example), because the Aurora can take the wormhole that goes directly there, while the huge ship can only take large wormholes and has to go a round-about way there. Then waste time traveling at .2 light speed to travel between wormholes in the same system. And being a huge target for any nefarious types. This means the Aurora is competitive in cargo-hauling. This has been part of the design from the start, and stated for the record by C.R. in 10-4s that most of you have never seen, because you don't actually keep track of the development of Star Citizen. Then why, you might ask, would anyone buy the big cargo hauler? Because you believe in the game, and want to back it for extra money.

All these arguments against Star Citizen are tiresome and played out on other forums and reddit. And without merit. Not saying "you must back it". Just saying that you should accept that the game is being made and will be finished. It would take more effort and expense to fake what they've shown us so far, than to do it for real. Occam's Razor bitches.

And who the actual f*ck will design 10 million npcs? Do you even think? Or are they procedurally generated? that should work out fine. Or better yet everyone will have thousands of twins.

Graphic cards do not become legacy product in 2 years time. Many people use their graphic card for a longer period than that.

But that aside, the difference is when you purchase a graphic card now, you actually get your graphic card, and you know exactly what you're getting. You don't pay $700 and pray every night that nVidia will send you the card in 1-2 years time, and that it will be exactly what you were promised.

Right now, you don't even know when the game will be completed, much less if you'll enjoy it. You hope you will, but until it happens you can't guarantee that that will be the outcome.

I did buy about 800 worth of DLCs over the past 3 years for Train Simulator, but at least those are playable and finished products, and not just a promise of something that might or might not happen in a few years.

To me, that's the important difference here. If a game has already been released, then fine, players can evaluate the game and they should know if it's worth further investing more money into the game, or not.

When a game hasn't even been released yet, to bet $900 that you will actually get your product, AND enjoy it that much, is just insane.

They have to sell more in game content because soon enough they are all going to need some good lawyers.

I should start off by mentioning that I've spent 0.0052% of my income on Star Citizen over the last 2 years. Yes, not much, but something. All the paid ship content is beginning to annoy me, this is going to be an MMO and they've already introduced a lot of pay to win content. Pay to win content is exactly what drives most people crazy in MMOs, most free to plays don't even have it.

Even buying this stuff doesn't really interest me because I'd rather work my way up in the actual game through gameplay. By getting in-game rewards for actual cash you don't feel like you've done anything to earn them. Your avatar is essentially "guy with rich parents". Maybe I'm crazy, but this is how I feel.

Is Eve like WC or Privateer (but in an MMO)? Is it best with a flight stick?

Oh, god no. The actual flying-in-space part plays more like a social RTS where you only actually have control over one unit. It's lots of clicking in space and mashing F-keys. The server only executes commands on one-second ticks, so real-time piloting would be intolerable.

If you're the fleet commander in a fleet engagement, the other players are acting as your units, following your verbal orders (or not following them, as the case may be).

they are profiting on selling the massively hyped up IDEA of a game more than an actual game so its hard for reality to meet up to dreams

A million times, this. There's so much "you'll be able to do this, and that, and you'll probably be able to do this, and you'll be able to do that even though no one, not even Cloud Imperium has ever suggested you will, and wouldn't it be cool if...". I've said before, and it's impossible to know, but it would be fascinating to compare how much people have spent on the idea of this game, with what they would have been prepared to spend if they had had the finished product presented to them first.

Not sure even i would believe those % done numbers.

The "even i" made me laugh, thanks :)

Just saying that you should accept that the game is being made and will be finished. It would take more effort and expense to fake what they've shown us so far, than to do it for real.

It's nothing to do with them faking it, some people are just concerned about their ability to achieve the project's goals. And NO ONE can claim with 100% authority that it "will be finished". Not the naysayers, not the fanboys, not even Roberts himself. Although admittedly Roberts can redefine "finished" to mean whatever he wants.

Given the recent bad press they have had lately I think its pretty brazen to offer yet another sale of ships when your backers are getting frustrated with a lack of progress. This is simply shameful.

If EA tomorrow starting selling $900 special edition ships for Battlefront the Internet would explode in rage.

Given the recent bad press they have had lately I think its pretty brazen to offer yet another sale of ships when your backers are getting frustrated with a lack of progress. This is simply shameful.
At this point they have no choice, they bloated themselves to a level where all the money from the original campaign is gone, bye-bye. They need the ship sales just to pay their
day-to-day expenses.

Chris Roberts might be a great game designer, but sure as hell is a shitty manager. They blowed trough all the money, and now they're forced into a spiral, that can only end badly.

At this point they have no choice, they bloated themselves to a level where all the money from the original campaign is gone, bye-bye. They need the ship sales just to pay their
day-to-day expenses.

Chris Roberts might be a great game designer, but sure as hell is a shitty manager. They blowed trough all the money, and now they're forced into a spiral, that can only end badly.

The problem is even the most die hard, knee pads CR/SC fan is going to come up for air and question their loyalty when they see stuff like this happening repeatedly. Maybe Derek is right on this and they should start an investigation and CR needs to release financials.

Maybe Derek is right on this

Listen to Derek! I mean he did burn through all the money for Battle Cruiser 2010K AD Platinum Millennium Admirals Club Crisper Drawer Do Everything In The Universe Edition before free to play was even a thought.

I was going to bad on this BS $900 ship, but then I felt guilty as I spend to much $ in CSGO case opening/skins :/. Easy to hate on the lunacy of it, until it hits home :O

It's hilarious to me how both the fans and the detractors are both saying "I have facts, you need to stop making shit up" but neither side has really posted any sources.

[CITATION NEEDED], for both sides! Saying something's a fact (the game's completion, whether or not there were layoffs) does not make it so.

It's hilarious to me how both the fans and the detractors are both saying "I have facts, you need to stop making shit up" but neither side has really posted any sources.

[CITATION NEEDED], for both sides! Saying something's a fact (the game's completion, whether or not there were layoffs) does not make it so.

None of the "detractors" have made claims about the game other than what's obvious simply looking at the website(it's really more like pointing out the lack of information than anything). The problem here is really only 1-2 fanboys who answer questions that people have about the game with complete bullshit.

So is there a game yet or not? All this hot air about completion %'s and DLC pre buy ship etc, but is there a functional game somewhere in there? Like Comparable to Elite Dangerous as in I can fly out into space in my ship and do things?

So is there a game yet or not? All this hot air about completion %'s and DLC pre buy ship etc, but is there a functional game somewhere in there? Like Comparable to Elite Dangerous as in I can fly out into space in my ship and do things?

No, you can only fight NPCs or other players in an arena multiplayer mode. They recently added a FPS mode where you can walk around and see other players on one map but you cannot interact with anything.

No, you can only fight NPCs or other players in an arena multiplayer mode. They recently added a FPS mode where you can walk around and see other players on one map but you cannot interact with anything.

I hope the game gets to a beta stage soon. The precident of gathering that kinda money and missing deadlines/feature creep is a bad one. I bought into E: D mid beta and have loved it ever since. Buying into Alpha is rare for me, but when you got this kinda $$$ and keep adding features and missing old feature deadlines it makes me worry.

He's right. You and Lorien pull this crap constantly. You take one fact or number and mix it in with a bunch of assumptions and likely misunderstanding of game mechanics and voila! It means everything is great! Nothing to be concerned about! CR can do no wrong!

Some think this is the second coming of WC (and I hope it is), while others seem to think this is worse than Pacific Strike (a game so bad that OSI pulled it and there should have been a Class Action suit over it).

"$90 million for what he's pitching, even with a competent leadership, you couldn't do," CS1 wrote. "The thing you have to remember about Chris Roberts is that, before this, he hadn't made a game in twelve years. He has no concept of what can and can't be done today with that amount of money, or for a game like this. Chris Roberts hadn't made a game in twelve years, and he was actively ignoring the input of people who have been in and a part of the industry that entire time."

Former and Current CIG Employees Speak Out:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...alk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

"$90 million for what he's pitching, even with a competent leadership, you couldn't do," CS1 wrote. "The thing you have to remember about Chris Roberts is that, before this, he hadn't made a game in twelve years. He has no concept of what can and can't be done today with that amount of money, or for a game like this. Chris Roberts hadn't made a game in twelve years, and he was actively ignoring the input of people who have been in and a part of the industry that entire time."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...alk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

I wonder if anyone will end up in prison upon the conclusion of any governmental investigation(s).

well, as much as I think those sort of people DO exist, I met a guy working for the defence department who was pretty average to above average looking who has spent hundreds on SC.

Some people REALLY find value in this. Like people who spend thousands on model planes or skiing gear, its a hobby.

I don't quite feel the same, but I at least understand it.

What can you do with this ship right now? I won't lie, I think it's insane to pay this much for something that costs very little to produce, but if it was in a released game, at least it's something you can use. But last i heard, this game was still in Alpha.

What can you do with this ship right now? I won't lie, I think it's insane to pay this much for something that costs very little to produce, but if it was in a released game, at least it's something you can use. But last i heard, this game was still in Alpha.

You can only look at the concept art, it's not even an in-game model.

CR finally admits he is married to Sandi. The Robert's family is literally running the entirety of a 90 million dollar, crowd funded project.

His entire response is 100% deflection. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I just blew $ 700.00 for a Asus GTX 980ti Poseidon video card and that was a stretch for a piece of HARDWARE . Anyone who can blow $900.00 on something like this has too much money and / or too few brain cells.:rolleyes:

The difference is my 980ti is a TOOL for doing 'real-world' work.

I should start off by mentioning that I've spent 0.0052% of my income on Star Citizen over the last 2 years. Yes, not much, but something. All the paid ship content is beginning to annoy me, this is going to be an MMO and they've already introduced a lot of pay to win content. Pay to win content is exactly what drives most people crazy in MMOs, most free to plays don't even have it.

Even buying this stuff doesn't really interest me because I'd rather work my way up in the actual game through gameplay. By getting in-game rewards for actual cash you don't feel like you've done anything to earn them. Your avatar is essentially "guy with rich parents". Maybe I'm crazy, but this is how I feel.

I get purchases if you fall behind the progression of the game. I've never done it, but if you're working long hours and can't put in 20 hours a week (or more), you may want to make purchases. It's kinda like Lawyers who paid a grand for high level chars in MMOs. Of course some of them couldn't play there chars, but I still get why they'd do it. Personally, I think it'd be wiser to for them to play up to a certain point and then pay someone else to level it up when the grind sets in.

If he really only has 8 million left in the bank the game is done. Only being able to spend what he brings in every month will make it take ten years to finish the game. And the funding will completely dry up long before then.

Unless the shit they've got coming out over the next 4 months is totally amazing, CR is fucked.

CR finally admits he is married to Sandi. The Robert's family is literally running the entirety of a 90 million dollar, crowd funded project.

So what if they are married? Does it matter if two married people, two friends, two people sleeping together or two people that hate each other are leading a project? Many businesses are ran by a husband and wife, that doesn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back