Star Citizen Selling A $900 Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
What percentage of your net income do you think you've spent on SC over the last two years? Think maybe you're a little biased? And should therefore be ignored?

aHH shit....

dis_gon_be_good.gif

The press or someone needs to get out there and say fuck these assholes , dont give them another dime.

Except there are no money problems. They have the full game 70% done, the single player portion of the game (which is a AAA title all by itself) 90% done, and they have no debt. And no publisher to take 70% of the sales away from them.

If they actually ran out of money, which is in no way a threat to actually happen, they still have the capability to raise capital the regular ways, through bank loans, venture capital / private investors, etc. They have zero debt, and a huge cash reserve, and an actual game they can show to prospective investors.

Or for more funding they could simply sell more ships. Or they could rush out the FPS portion of the game instead of perfecting it first. I guarantee once the beta of the FPS portion (Star Marine) comes out, they will get crazy amounts of money from new pledges. They could have that money already, but Chris Roberts is a perfectionist and likes to do things the "right" way. The fact that they have no publisher enables them to not chase the easy coin (which will actually make them more money in the long run, probably).

The "money problem" is an imagination of Derek Smart, done to bring attention to his own game which has suffered terrible reviews, just like his old games. It has zero basis in reality.

Except there are no money problems. They have the full game 70% done, the single player portion of the game (which is a AAA title all by itself) 90% done, and they have no debt. And no publisher to take 70% of the sales away from them.

Not sure even i would believe those % done numbers.

SQ42 can't be nearly done without the FPS mechanics being 100% done as that is a core part of the experience and just having Star Marine nearly done is not the same as being almost done fleshing out the FPS mechanics completely.

SQ42 is both space combat as well as ground/station based fps mechanics.

I wouldn't expect to see SQ42 in a playable state until mid to late 2016.

Except there are no money problems. They have the full game 70% done, the single player portion of the game (which is a AAA title all by itself) 90% done, and they have no debt.

Where are you pulling these percentages from?

Made seventy or eighty grand from mowing lawns and Christmas checks from Grandma, did you?

That depends do you care about money i personally bring in or that i have access too with my household income?

I mean i could sit here and do nothing like i usually do, and spend another $500 on SC on a whim like it is just another day of the week. Doesn't matter to me.

Don't buy it, buy it in game after it's out using standard in game currency. Everyone seems to forget that this has always been the case.

I still don't understand the beef with the companies chosen revenue raising methods. If people want to part with the money for digital goods (no matter how expensive) then let them.

Don't buy it, buy it in game after it's out using standard in game currency. Everyone seems to forget that this has always been the case.

I still don't understand the beef with the companies chosen revenue raising methods. If people want to part with the money for digital goods (no matter how expensive) then let them.

Some people always overlook that it is purely optional.

Outside of the base game $35 to pre order, $60 for retail, you will never have to spend another dime to get the full PU experience.

Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen itself) was announced Oct 10th 2012. 36 months ago. Chris Roberts expects SQ42 to be ready by Christmas 2015. That's three months from now. Add an extra 1 month for Chris Roberts perfectionist tax, and that makes 40 months of time since announcement for SQ42 to be ready. With 4 months until the 40 month date, that equals a nice 90% done.

Another year for the full game to be out of beta, 4th quarter of 2016, and the math supports 70% or so.

There you go.

Outside of the base game $35 to pre order, $60 for retail, you will never have to spend another dime to get the full PU experience of getting shit on by nerds with $1000 ships.

FTFY.

Yeah, not sure its going to be that simple.

And i doubt SQ42 will be ready around christmas, at least i wont hold my breath counting on it.

mid 2016 seems like a more accurate time frame for SQ42 to be in a non rushed state, with SC beta end of 2016 / first month of 2017.

I don't think they could come any sooner.

Tho we should get a hint on SQ42's actual progress in 10 days so its not long of a wait to see how it is coming maybe.

Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen itself) was announced Oct 10th 2012. 36 months ago. Chris Roberts expects SQ42 to be ready by Christmas 2015. That's three months from now. Add an extra 1 month for Chris Roberts perfectionist tax, and that makes 40 months of time since announcement for SQ42 to be ready. With 4 months until the 40 month date, that equals a nice 90% done.

Another year for the full game to be out of beta, 4th quarter of 2016, and the math supports 70% or so.

There you go.

I'll bet you 2.5% of Wildace's household income that those dates don't hold.

I think you would be more worried about the hundreds of thousands of NPC's that have those $1000 ships, rather than the 1000-2000 of those ships in actual players hands.

Player controlled $1000+ ships accounts for about 0.25% of the total player population.

Of the total expected 10-20million combined npc/player population that would mean 0.001% to 0.002% of the population would have a $1000+ ship that was actually purchased with real money.

That % does not include the 10's of thousands of those ships that the npc will already control. Or the actual full size capital ships they will control like cruisers, carriers, destroyers, battleships yadda yadda..

The ones purchased with real money are so rare they really mean nothing.

Players owning certain expensive ships means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

There you go.

Chris Roberts and missed release dates go together like nascar and rednecks. He has not met one release date yet regardless of what he states.
snip
Despite announcing at the end of June that Star Marine, the game’s FPS module, didn’t have a clear release date yet, the team clarified today when it might see the light of day, sort of. It’s already missed the originally target release date of April, but it looks like we may see it in a few short weeks.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/star-citizen-fps-module-weeks/
July 20, 2015​

History shows us that SQ42 won't be any different.

I think you would be more worried about the hundreds of thousands of NPC's that have those $1000 ships, rather than the 1000-2000 of those ships in actual players hands.

Player controlled $1000+ ships accounts for about 0.25% of the total player population.

Of the total expected 10-20million combined npc/player population that would mean 0.001% to 0.002% of the population would have a $1000+ ship that was actually purchased with real money.

That % does not include the 10's of thousands of those ships that the npc will already control. Or the actual full size capital ships they will control like cruisers, carriers, destroyers, battleships yadda yadda..

Players owning certain expensive ships means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know wher to start.

You really think the universe is going to have a hundred thousand NPC piloted Idrii roaming around ganking people?

You really think the universe is going to have a hundred thousand NPC piloted Idrii roaming around ganking people?

Considering there are only around 1000 or so Idrii sold, there does not need to be too many in pirate npc's arsenals to cause far more havok than the few that players own, let alone the fact that there are people that actually plan to RP, so of those 1000 or so Idrii many of them are in the hands of players that run security and neutral orgs so the number of Idrii in the hands of "gankers" is far fewer than you might think.

Hundred Thousand ships idrii size or larger? in the hands of npc's? oh hell yeah that is very possible.

From the Vanduul alien race that has no issue ganking players, to the pirate factions, to the other unknown npc factions that have no issue with random killing.

The 500 or less idrii in the hands of players interested in ganking is likely the last of your concern since you will likely never see them.

Same for the 200 Stripped (as in they come with minimal equipment and no weapons ect) Destroyers they sold for $2500, not all of them are in the hands of gankers the majority are likely in the hands of Security Orgs, and again there are so few of them you will likely never see one.

Player owned capital ships are so few that they are completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I just gave the Star Citizen alpha another shot just now. It has come along a little better than months ago when I tried it. I liked the training simulator and some of the arena options. Seemed to be coming along slowly but nicely none the less.

And there they go, fanboys just pulling random percentages out of thin air.

People might take you guys seriously if you stuck to facts. Quit making up lies to try and make the state of the game sound better, no one else is believing it. The fact that you guys continually resort to making things up in an attempt to support your arguments about the game just makes everything look worse.

hopefully you are not talking about my % because they are based on facts, like the total number of idrii sold which is easy to see based on the number of limited hulls they have sold (they are sold in limited lots of 200 each time) current player population you can see the number of citizen on the site, and the stated projected npc total from CiG which is 10-20million.

The only unknown in that is how the ship distribution between npc's will be, but you can be certain they will have more capital ships than the few owned by players combined at release and will be a far greater threat than any player run org or fleet.

Hundred Thousand ships idrii size or larger? in the hands of npc's? oh hell yeah that is very possible.

I really really doubt it, and even if it ended up being true, it wouldn't matter because virtually none of them will be KoS on a regular basis or the game would be retarded.

Your devotion to SC has basically made you completely incapable of reason. You guys think "Players are only 10% of the population!" is literally the answer to ever single criticism and it's totally absurd.

There's no reason to think the proportion of NPC ships will be the same as PC ships (i.e. it's flat out stupid to assume that if there are 5,000 $800+ dollar PC ships then there will be 50,000 $800+ dollar NPC ships roaming the verse).

It is also stupid to think that the high end combat focused NPC ships that attack on sight are going to be a consistently big problem, because if it were the GAME WILL TANK. No one is going to like tootling around in their Aurora and getting reamed constantly by NPCs in hardware that cost 10x what their Aurora did.

High end PC ships, on the other hand, will get put to use causing all manner of destruction as often as possible by a large proportion of the population.

Your argument holds no water. The number of high end NPC ships is largely irrelevant and has no bearing on the fact that there are going to be a large number of people with expensive ships looking to get some value out of them by reaming lesser ships as often as possible. Maybe it won't be that big an issue due to all the instancing and PvP sliders and whatever else they've gotten written down on a post it note somewhere in CRs office, but it won't be because of NPC Idrii being a bigger concern.

Gotcha. I think you took my flippant $1000 ship comment a bit too literally, but my fault, I wrote it. I really just meant people with hundreds or thousands invested in the higher end ships in general. Because back when I tried A.C. (and maybe this has changed), If you spent $45 for the Aurora and alpha access, you simply couldn't compete against Hornets and racing ships. You couldn't earn those ships in game. You needed to pony up more to appear on the leaderboard. Isn't that the definition of P2W? Yes _ofcourse_ I realized it was alpha and prerelease, but if it's how he has things now, wouldn't you say that's a better indicator of his true leanings rather than some hypothetical date years in the future? He's setting the tone now.

but you can be certain they will have more capital ships than the few owned by players combined at release and will be a far greater threat than any player run org or fleet.

No, you really can't. You think they're going to put a shit ton of hostile high end NPC ships as close as possible to where noobs will be first venturing into the more lawless/less controlled areas? Which is exactly where those looking for easy PvP pickings will have them? Use your brain.

If the certain expensive ships mean nothing, why are people buying them? I don't really believe that most of these buyers want to help "fund" the game that much faster no strings attached. I've been on Teamspeak with a clan that has hundreds of thousands worth of ships purchased between them, and they joke about steamrolling the universe in S.C. when it finally comes out. Anecdotal, but it speaks to the soft-expectation of paid ships, and buyers will riot if they feel they didn't get enough advantage for their money when the PU grindfest unlocks.

Because the exact nature of the Free2Play/Pay2Play balance hasn't been nailed down and is still basically formless, Roberts is able to say "trust us" without too much pushback. But if the game does manage to launch, the tears will be flowing either from the people that paid and aren't getting the advantage they expected, or F2P people that don't want to grind for 6 months to earn a higher end ship. It will be simply impossible to strike a balance *because* of the relatively high prices of ships.

But see your argument holds no water either, as the player population that is likely interesting in Ganking is actually rather small compared to the number of lawful/neutral orgs, and in secure space there is actually a slider you can toggle to reduce player vs player interactions so if it was a problem for you, you can reduce those encounters.

Dont take your aurora to a pirate haven if you don't want to have a high risk of being attacked either by npc's or players but chances are you will be ganked by an NPC pirate group or vanduul swarm, 10 times before you get ganked by a player group..

The game economy is supposed to be scaled based on risk/reward meaning there will be low risk in secure space for those with aurora's, you likely wont see much pirate action there even from players, you should be safe for the most part but the reward for staying there wont be as great if you take some risks in low sec space or totally hostile space.

And i actually believe your devotion to flaming SC has made you blind to any sort of reason.

Yeah so that "ship" is actually "only" $350, but if you buy every single option available, it comes to $900, which they will sell to you in one convenient package.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Standalone-Ships/Endeavor-Base-LTI

If you guys haven't figured out yet that crowd funding projects work in large part because of the "whales", then, well... here's your newsflash: You get a lot more money in your crowdfunded project if you figure out how to sell to people commonly known as "whales".

Vegas has been doing this for years. Same with your sports teams and their luxury boxes. There's nothing wrong with it unless you hate capitalism.

Luxury boxes don't fit the model. Companies get those to wine and dine clients and they write it all off. And honestly, paying hundreds of dollars for a ship in a game that doesn't exist is crazy, and I"m really REALLY interested in this game, but I'll be damned if I pay them for in game ships.

If the certain expensive ships mean nothing, why are people buying them? I don't really believe that most of these buyers want to help "fund" the game that much faster no strings attached. I've been on Teamspeak with a clan that has hundreds of thousands worth of ships purchased between them, and they joke about steamrolling the universe in S.C. when it finally comes out. Anecdotal, but it speaks to the soft-expectation of paid ships, and buyers will riot if they feel they didn't get enough advantage for their money when the PU grindfest unlocks.

Because the exact nature of the Free2Play/Pay2Play balance hasn't been nailed down and is still basically formless, Roberts is able to say "trust us" without too much pushback. But if the game does manage to launch, the tears will be flowing either from the people that paid and aren't getting the advantage they expected, or F2P people that don't want to grind for 6 months to earn a higher end ship. It will be simply impossible to strike a balance *because* of the relatively high prices of ships.

Which is going to be a massive problem, and one I've been pointing out for a year, but don't worry, your point will be completely lost on Wildace.

They're either going to massively piss off a huge number of ship buyers or they're going to make a game that is the worst grindfest in history and will sell like four copies post release. And it's even worse than it looks on the surface because CR has said that the ships are discounted right now. Like 50% or something.

Gotcha. I think you took my flippant $1000 ship comment a bit too literally, but my fault, I wrote it. I really just meant people with hundreds or thousands invested in the higher end ships in general. Because back when I tried A.C. (and maybe this has changed), If you spent $45 for the Aurora and alpha access, you simply couldn't compete against Hornets and racing ships. You couldn't earn those ships in game. You needed to pony up more to appear on the leaderboard. Isn't that the definition of P2W? Yes _ofcourse_ I realized it was alpha and prerelease, but if it's how he has things now, wouldn't you say that's a better indicator of his true leanings rather than some hypothetical date years in the future? He's setting the tone now.

You can earn all the flyable ships in Arena Commander now, either by playing PVP or Solo Swarm, or Co-Op Swarm, you get REC which you can use to rent weapons and ships, so you can rent a super hornet, or an m50 or which ever ship you prefer to fly and all the weapons to make the load out you want. The REC cost is 10% of its actual sale value, and you could get like 600-1000 REC per round last time i played swarm. So if you played regularly you could easily try out other ships or even rent them constantly.

No, you really can't. You think they're going to put a shit ton of hostile high end NPC ships as close as possible to where noobs will be first venturing into the more lawless/less controlled areas? Which is exactly where those looking for easy PvP pickings will have them? Use your brain.

Chances are you wont see player pirates there either, because they would likely be killed off by the UEE capital ships and going through the death of a spaceman mechanic and making a new character lol.

hopefully you are not talking about my % because they are based on facts, like the total number of idrii sold which is easy to see based on the number of limited hulls they have sold (they are sold in limited lots of 200 each time) current player population you can see the number of citizen on the site, and the stated projected npc total from CiG which is 10-20million.

The only unknown in that is how the ship distribution between npc's will be, but you can be certain they will have more capital ships than the few owned by players combined at release and will be a far greater threat than any player run org or fleet.

Oh, so you don't know and just pulled percentages out of your rear.

You don't know if it's 10 million, 20 million, or somewhere in between for the NPC count. You don't know what the ship distribution among NPCs is, you don't know how many players will be active, but hey since you know how many limited hulls were sold you can just guess everything else and come up with random percentages. Cool.

Which is going to be a massive problem, and one I've been pointing out for a year, but don't worry, your point will be completely lost on Wildace.

They're either going to massively piss off a huge number of ship buyers or they're going to make a game that is the worst grindfest in history and will sell like four copies post release. And it's even worse than it looks on the surface because CR has said that the ships are discounted right now. Like 50% or something.

My hope is that it is fun for new players, and easy to earn ships.

The game needs to be fun for the new players that buy the game fresh on release day or the life of the game in general would be short as no one would buy the game and keep playing.

The only backers that would be pissed by that are the ones that have not been paying attention which could vary well be a lot.

A lot of backers know that Earning ships is not an end game goal, equiping and maintaining your ships is your goal.

Its supposed to be relatively easy to earn ships. what is challenging is equiping your ship properly and keeping it equipped because in the most hostile sectors equipment insurance will not cover you which means if your ship gets blown up, all that expensive gear you just bought or looted and overclocked needs to be replaced.

Oh, so you don't know and just pulled percentages out of your rear.

You don't know if it's 10 million, 20 million, or somewhere in between for the NPC count. You don't know what the ship distribution among NPCs is, you don't know how many players will be active, but hey since you know how many limited hulls were sold you can just guess everything else and come up with random percentages. Cool.

you have a problem

as the player population that is likely interesting in Ganking is actually rather small compared to the number of lawful/neutral orgs

The number of people that will happily rape a little aurora if given the chance is not small. You're naive if you think otherwise.

and in secure space there is actually a slider you can toggle to reduce player vs player interactions so if it was a problem for you, you can reduce those encounters.

1. I already mentioned this.
2. Reduce, not eliminate.
3. I'm sure people will love being corralled because they can't set foot outside certain areas without getting reamed by someone that spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on ships.

Dont take your aurora to a pirate haven if you don't want to have a high risk of being attacked either by npc's or players but chances are you will be ganked by an NPC pirate group or vanduul swarm, 10 times before you get ganked by a player group..

NPC pirate or Vanduul ability can be tailored to the ability of the PCs ship they're encountering. That's why your "You're gonna run into a million pirate Idrii" argument is nonsense. You're not going to be running into tons of badass pirates. You're going to be running into tons of pissant pirates that you'll be able to defeat in your Aurora because no one is dumb enough to make a game where you're constantly getting your ass kicked by NPCs. How can you not understand this? Have you never played an MMO before? Have you even played Privateer? Do you not understand how instancing works?

And i actually believe your devotion to flaming SC has made you blind to any sort of reason.

Uh huh. It's not you, it's everyone else. Gotcha.

Not the same at all. While EVE does have a few ships that take quite a lot of time and effort to obtain (unless you steal one from someone), the developers (CCP) do not sell them. That would be between players on a secondary market and is against the EULA of the game. The developers do not profit from those kinds of transactions at all. This is not unique to EVE and is prevalent throughout many MMOs. EVE has also been around as a complete and shipped game for over 12 years now.

Is Eve like WC or Privateer (but in an MMO)? Is it best with a flight stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back