Star Citizen Selling A $900 Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol all the butthurt anti sc crowd. Do you guys expect a game such as star citizen to be finished in a year and a half because this is how long the actual game has been in development.

No, actually it has been in development since 2011.

In Second Life people pay about 1000$ monthly to sustain an empty virtual island.

I usually pop on once a month to check out new updates to the game. As most do I have mixed feelings about the way things have been going development wise, I see the potential but don't know if it can be pulled off. As many have been saying this is the year to prove to the world that the game is in good shape and will actually be completed. If they get to the end of the year with little to show, like last year, then there will be riots!

I've lately been watching a stream of the old X3 Albion Prelude with a star wars mod (Captainshack on YouTube) and I wish they would take some aspects of that game and apply them to star citizen.

I wonder if anyone even buys these excessively prices digital POS ships that aren't worth anything tangible.

My guess is that a very small number of people do buy them but not enough to justify the costs.
However the ships price has other benefits to the company. As a pinnacle product it may be used to show off the game. Second as a high priced product it makes people psychologically think that lower priced products are more reasonable or attainable. In the past you thought a $200 ship was ridiculous but now with this $900 ship a $200 ship seems much more palatable.

Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen itself) was announced Oct 10th 2012. 36 months ago. Chris Roberts expects SQ42 to be ready by Christmas 2015. That's three months from now. Add an extra 1 month for Chris Roberts perfectionist tax, and that makes 40 months of time since announcement for SQ42 to be ready. With 4 months until the 40 month date, that equals a nice 90% done.

Another year for the full game to be out of beta, 4th quarter of 2016, and the math supports 70% or so.

There you go.

It's that time of year again, folks.

Squadron 42 out yet?

900 bucks for a ship for a game that isn't done, or a ps4, xbox one, and a nintendo switch

Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen itself) was announced Oct 10th 2012. 36 months ago. Chris Roberts expects SQ42 to be ready by Christmas 2015. That's three months from now. Add an extra 1 month for Chris Roberts perfectionist tax, and that makes 40 months of time since announcement for SQ42 to be ready. With 4 months until the 40 month date, that equals a nice 90% done.

Another year for the full game to be out of beta, 4th quarter of 2016, and the math supports 70% or so.

There you go.

I got an email From Chris Robberts yesterday about SQ42, it has a lot of words in it that I haven't read, has anyone read it and can you let me know if any of those words are a release date?

I got an email From Chris Robberts yesterday about SQ42, it has a lot of words in it that I haven't read, has anyone read it and can you let me know if any of those words are a release date?

Nope, just updates on what each team is doing.

I'm so excited about this game
OMG to play Master Chief again...woooooo

whisper....What?....this isn't about Halo..whisper..whats it about then.....whisper....OoOoOooo....yea fuck that game.

Come on you guys are not giving Cloud Imperium Games a fair shake here. They've only delayed this game more than Duke Nukem. More than Dikatana. And we all see what advanced and critically acclaimed titled beloved by both consumers and professional reviewers those turned out to be.

So lets get our chins up and wait to see something that has the benefit of no publisher driving it to success!

I'm sure those of us that backed (me included) will be overjoyed when the game comes out.

Heck by then we could probably play it... ON OUR PHONES!! What... don't you have a phone?

Pardon me I need to go vomit in a bucket.

My guess is that a very small number of people do buy them but not enough to justify the costs.
However the ships price has other benefits to the company. As a pinnacle product it may be used to show off the game. Second as a high priced product it makes people psychologically think that lower priced products are more reasonable or attainable. In the past you thought a $200 ship was ridiculous but now with this $900 ship a $200 ship seems much more palatable.

SC has always claimed that the extreme amounts of money for the ships and other content was not about buying the virtual goods, it was about people investing in the game development project and getting some recognition in game for that investment. SC could have simply left the virtual items completely out and it's supposed to be the same thing, someone gives them money investing in the dream this game represents. This isn't supposed to be viewed in the same light as buying virtual items is normally seen in.

Look at it like this;

I'm a member of a gaming group, there are many many of them around. We play several games, Mechwarrior Online.......... many games. And we as group decide to invest in SC because we really are looking forward to the promise. We pitch in for our clan server, our TS server, this is just one more donation to the group fun. And we'll get a ship we can all pile into and enjoy someday.

That being said, You could call it a con job if you wanted too, it all depends on how the money is truly being used.

SC has always claimed that the extreme amounts of money for the ships and other content was not about buying the virtual goods, it was about people investing in the game development project and getting some recognition in game for that investment. SC could have simply left the virtual items completely out and it's supposed to be the same thing, someone gives them money investing in the dream this game represents. This isn't supposed to be viewed in the same light as buying virtual items is normally seen in.

That being said, You could call it a con job if you wanted too, it all depends on how the money is truly being used.

What a load of bullshit. The only difference between this and other pay-to-win schemes is that most of these ships don't even exist yet. CIG is taking advantage of "whales" and people that have fallen into the "sunken cost" fallacy.

I was just speaking with a couple of guys and we agree, this is the biggest scam in a long time. Enough said.......

I was just speaking with a couple of guys and we agree, this is the biggest scam in a long time. Enough said.......
I hope they get it finished or well a playable state close to what they pitched.
The other part of me is taking notes on how long they can swing this out.

What a load of bullshit. The only difference between this and other pay-to-win schemes is that most of these ships don't even exist yet. CIG is taking advantage of "whales" and people that have fallen into the "sunken cost" fallacy.

Look, I said that some might call it a con and from your response I'd say that you fall into that category.

You weren't very specific as to what or who you are calling "bullshit" on. It leaves some room for interpretation, where you saying that SC calling this a crowdfunding scheme is bullshit, or that my relating what they claimed is bullshit?

The game didn't exist either, explain that load while your at it?

Look, I said that some might call it a con and from your response I'd say that you fall into that category.

You weren't very specific as to what or who you are calling "bullshit" on. It leaves some room for interpretation, where you saying that SC calling this a crowdfunding scheme is bullshit, or that my relating what they claimed is bullshit?

The game didn't exist either, explain that load while your at it?

Sorry I was getting ready to leave for work when I posted and forgot to edit around what I was replying to. I’m talking about how you said it is supposed to be viewed differently from buying traditional virtual items. Both games being so insanely bloated and CIG expanding so quickly that they constantly need larger and larger sums of money does not make what they are doing less of a pay-to-win scheme or any different from the shitty, predatory, practices companies like EA and Activision engage in on a routine basis.

At this point few of the backers have just the basic package. I know some one who is obsessed with this game, and for years they said they'd only keep the basic package. A year or two back the plunged another $100 or so for a better ship.

Day one the majority of the players will have something better than a cheap starter ship. Either you will have to make the better ships easier to get or the new players will be stuck in a massive grind to get something semi decent.

I still have the $35 starter package and that's all i'm going to put into it. If it comes out that fine, if not, then i'm not really out too much. But to be fair, i have liked what they've put out so far in terms of flying and whatnot. As someone mentioned i think earlier on, it will either be the greatest thing since sliced bread, or it will be a massive flop. I'm prepared either way. :meh:

I don't know and can't say. I suppose an investigation could get to the bottom of it, maybe the FTC would have something to say.

FTC doesn't care because there aren't any investors expecting a return, just suckers giving them money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back