Star Citizen Reaches 2 Million Players

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Chris Roberts has announced that Star Citizen managed to double its October 2015 milestone of one million players: the largest crowdfunded project recently welcomed its two millionth Citizen. RSI thanks the dedication of its backers, who will be getting special badges and in-game T-shirts to celebrate the feat.

As we look ahead to Alpha 3.2 and beyond, the team and I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of our hearts. When we started on this adventure, we couldn’t have imagined the passion, perseverance, and dedication that so many would have. It’s because of that dedication – your dedication – that we can continue to design, build, and deliver the Best Damn Space Sim Ever.

It's more like 2m registered accounts. Regardless, it's an interesting milestone for a game that's still big on potential but light on actual content or gameplay.

People bitch about the progress of the game development but somehow forget that Blizzard's Titan was in development for SEVEN years before that was dropped completely and it was another two years before it fully pivoted into Overwatch.

Also, this is Chris Roberts we're talking about. The man is notorious for missing development deadlines. No one remembers Strike Commander but that shit was promised Christmas 1991 and wasn't delivered until 1993. Not to mention the Freelancer development debacle. It's really no surprised that with him as his own master, this game is going to take as long as it takes to finish.

Congratulations you get a in game tshrit to wear in a game that isn't out. Also badges for a game that isn't out yet.

When this game actually is in a released non alpha non beta state I will believe them. Until such time it's just watching and waiting.

People bitch about the progress of the game development but somehow forget that Blizzard's Titan was in development for SEVEN years before that was dropped completely and it was another two years before it fully pivoted into Overwatch.

I don't think that's why people love to hate on SC / CIG. Did Blizzard take a nickle from people for pre-orders while developing Titan? Did Blizzard then continue to sell extra content for Titan years after they missed their release deadline/s?

Last edited:
About 6 months ago I tried to launch/install the stupid game, gave up.

As far as I can tell this "game" will never be launched. They seem to be making buckets of money in endless "development".

I don't think that's why people love to hate on SC / CIG. Did Blizzard take a nickle from people for pre-orders while developing Titan? Did Blizzard then continue to sell extra content for Titan years after they missed their release deadline/s?

This sums it up..I don't care about the length of time. Hell I waited 10 years for DNF and we all know how that turned out. Further I've been a Final Fantasy fan since it first came to america. I am quite used to long development cycles. My contention with SC is the business model that has more in common with a ponzi scheme than a video game. I take issue with the whole pay 2 win model in that you can buy the best ships in the game. I resent the type of game and business mode this is shaping up to be as I feel it represents everything that is wrong with modern game development. I would love to see a game like SC that was crowd funded succeed. I would have no objections to them selling cosmetics, I would have no objections to it taking years to develop it right. Unfortunately despite what the defenders want you to believe, that isn't what it is and as such I have to stand in adamant opposition to a game that normally I would love.

This "game" is clearly a scam, it's too bad the suckers who buy into it don't realize that. Reminds me of the sheep that joined NXIVM thinking they were getting self help.

Another $66.6 mil and the game will hit a quarter of a billion dollars. whales, dolphins and guppies welcome

They can have my money if they ever finish this game. Until then I am just watching, amazed at how much people will spend on a game with the worst case of scope creep I have ever seen.

Not really sure what they do in there... the content is about as fetch-quest as it gets, and the procedural generation seems to create the same things over and over.

The real questions are “Can Elite Dangerous become Star Citizen, before Star Citizen can launch?” And “Is CCP just secretly working on their next expansion that makes EvE both of them combined?”

More like the biggest scam in kickstarter history if you have followed it since the release. So many lies from the very beginning, 6 TOS changes which went back on his promise to show how the money was spent, nepotism, double dipping.

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

The real questions are “Can Elite Dangerous become Star Citizen, before Star Citizen can launch?” And “Is CCP just secretly working on their next expansion that makes EvE both of them combined?”
Ha. I think Elite and Eve have it right in not letting anyone walk around. Spaceships, mang. It's all I need.

It's more like 2m registered accounts. Regardless, it's an interesting milestone for a game that's still big on potential but light on actual content or gameplay.

Also, this is Chris Roberts we're talking about. The man is notorious for missing development deadlines. No one remembers Strike Commander but that shit was promised Christmas 1991 and wasn't delivered until 1993. Not to mention the Freelancer development debacle. It's really no surprised that with him as his own master, this game is going to take as long as it takes to finish.

Titan was never even officially announced. It was all rumors and nothing more. Blizzard didn't announce a game, they didn't take money from gamers, they didn't sell THOUSANDS of dollars of DLC before there was even a release date in sight, they didn't promise milestones and then delay them constantly for two bloody years.

Ha. I think Elite and Eve have it right in not letting anyone walk around. Spaceships, mang. It's all I need.
But they both have some part of the feature already implemented ED renders the pilot and parts of the interior already, EvE had the captains quarters that they pulled out. EvE also had Dust and still has Valkyrie, they are just missing procedural planets. ED is just adding new stuff as time goes on. Who knows a few years down the road AR might actually take off then the walking around your boat may be a huge thing implement breached pods as part of your combat strategy..... then BAM FPS action as part of your space combat.

Congratulations you get a in game tshrit to wear in a game that isn't out. Also badges for a game that isn't out yet.

When this game actually is in a released non alpha non beta state I will believe them. Until such time it's just watching and waiting.

which is why they are giving them Tshirts and badges LOL at least they get something tangible. Donate $500 and you get a Tshirt.

Ever wonder why people are so amazingly stupid when it comes to paying companies to advertise for them? Like all the fools who bought Coca-Cola Tshirts for $20 a pop ... unbelievable

Everytime I see articles like this I feel like it's a f'ing joke.

I swear at this rate i will have made my first billion and funded a competitor before Star Citizen is released.

Ahh the usual Star Citizen bitching, at the same time Star Citizen once finished will be like more advanced and feature complete than any other game will be for the next 15 years until game engines catches up (Unreal Engine 6?) and gets more advanced and feature rich so that it's easier & time efficient to intercorporate all these tiny mechanics that's in the Star Citizen game.

I'm glad at least some developer wants to go all-in and make a game as complete as it possible can even if it takes a lot of time.

Last edited:
Ahh the usual Star Citizen bitching, at the same time Star Citizen once finished will be like more advanced and feature complete than any other game will be for the next 15 years until game engines catches up (Unreal Engine 6?) and gets more advanced and feature rich so that it's easier & time efficient to intercorporate all these tiny mechanics that's in the Star Citizen game.

I'm glad at least some developer wants to go all-in and make a game as complete as it possible can even if it takes a lot of time.

Maybe that’s true, but I have a feeling we will all be seeing these comment threads in another five years.

Translation: We managed to fool 2 million people so far.

Those are definitely not active players. Those might be in the thousands at best.

You're not joking, are you? For a moment there I was hoping this post is irony, but it is not is it?

At it's current pace, it won't be finished in 15 years. Eventually, they'll run out of fools with money, and the whole endeavor will stop, and they either leave the sinking ship or release it as is: An incomplete, buggy, unbalanced game, with lots of features missing, or developed to placeholder quality. I have about 1% confidence left that this thing will turn into a proper, complete fully featured game by hell I'm not even putting a date on it: ever.

Would have been much smarter if they released a basic game and then made add-ons to flesh it out later.

Would have been much smarter if they released a basic game and then made add-ons to flesh it out later.
You can't make hundreds of millions by selling add-ons. But apparently you can by selling promises.

HA! If they ever released a "finished" product I guarantee it won't have many many of the features they're promising and many that do exist won't be anywhere near what they have hyped them up to be. CIG is essentially promising the impossible right now. They're selling a pipe dream. Anyone that believes SC will come out with everything included and working as promised is only fooling themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they never release a "finished" game though.

I'm basing on what's in there NOW. For example a ship cleaner's AI is already more complex than AI of enemies of other games. You guys sound as if the features already presented are going to be ripped out, what's the logic in that? Already at this state it's a very complex and feature filled game vs other games out there so everything new that will still be added will be a nice bonus. If you guys have followed other kickstarter campaigns you should know pre-alpha & alpha stage development is much more longer, the development is likely to pick up phase soon from here on as many important engine changes have been made. Are you even checking the development updates at all and just pulling things out of your ass?

I will laugh at these naysayers when the game will be launched, my best guess is 1st half of 2020 but yea sometimes 2020 is my expecation.

Pretty much all kickstarter game titles have the some people saying this will never get finished that has no understanding of game development, yet statistically they are 99% on the wrong side. Wanna take the bet?

Last edited:
I backed this game in 2013 and started a new position at a new company. I'm about to get another week of paid vacation every damn year and they still can't release a game in that time frame. It boggles the mind.

I'm basing on what's in there NOW. For example a ship cleaner's AI is already more complex than AI of enemies of other games.

What the fuck has a ship cleaner got AI for, in fact what the fuck is a ship cleaner.

Maybe if they didn't do stupid shit like that they might actually release something.

Reactions: M76
like this
I'm basing on what's in there NOW. For example a ship cleaner's AI is already more complex than AI of enemies of other games. You guys sound as if the features already presented are going to be ripped out, what's the logic in that? Already at this state it's a very complex and feature filled game vs other games out there so everything new that will still be added will be a nice bonus. If you guys have followed other kickstarter campaigns you should know pre-alpha & alpha stage development is much more longer, the development is likely to pick up phase soon from here on as many important engine changes have been made. Are you even checking the development updates at all and just pulling things out of your ass?

I will laugh at these naysayers when the game will be launched, my best guess is 1st half of 2020 but yea sometimes 2020 is my expecation.

Pretty much all kickstarter game titles have the some people saying this will never get finished that has no understanding of game development, yet statistically they are 99% on the wrong side. Wanna take the bet?

lol

It's not just Chris Roberts, but Chris Roberts with full access to funds and no accountability to any one. He doesn't have to be corrupt, as others have said, just be too much of a dreamer to pick a deadline and hit it. Damn shame too, I was looking forward to another sim from him.

I'm gonna love when the game finally releases and all of you have to eat crow. I like the part where the team consisting of multiple development studios, hundreds of millions of dollars, and a very active community = scam/failing game. I love how all of you seem to know everything about game development and how all other smaller games made with much more money and more people have taken longer to make.

In reality, a ton of you look not-so-smart.

Back