Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Yikes, just installed this after a few years away on my new OC'd 7950X system and it still runs like total shit. And the graphics are from like 2014, even on max. How are people still throwing money at this, runs and feels like an Indie game in alpha.
As a serious response - it does the DX shader compilation at need. So your first 4-5 minutes are... shitty performance till they're compiled. Then it gets pretty smooth from a performance perspective. Just gotta give it a bit.

And Noobifier's video on the DX12/Vulcan stuff looks cool. But now that I'm not on a first gen Ryzen it runs pretty good already. But I want MORE EYE CANDY!

As a serious response - it does the DX shader compilation at need. So your first 4-5 minutes are... shitty performance till they're compiled. Then it gets pretty smooth from a performance perspective. Just gotta give it a bit.
I tested it out on my 7950x & 4090 in 4k. Stations and space were often over 100fps.
Area 18 was 70-90 and yeah you have to wait on shaders to compile before it smooths out.

It might be independent but with this kind of budget that's a net negative.

In the regular world not Chris Robert's la la land alpha still means feature ready. Will this ever have all features playable?
No, because Chris Roberts will constantly re-work already in-place systems until they work to his satisfaction. That's his entire MO.

I just realized its now been over 10 years since I actually paid money for this. In all that time they have never shown ANY gameplay of Squadron 42 and Star Citizen still has 1 solar system and more bugs that features. What a train wreck.

1667497991117.png

I just realized its now been over 10 years since I actually paid money for this. In all that time they have never shown ANY gameplay of Squadron 42 and Star Citizen still has 1 solar system and more bugs that features. What a train wreck.

View attachment 523911

They did show a number of gameplay trailers for Squadron 42 some years back. No raw gameplay though that I can remember. So check back in another 10 years?

View attachment 523911

You didn't realize you were buying it for your children for when they are adults. ;)

You didn't realize you were buying it for your children for when they are adults. ;)
Your buying it so that Microsoft can pick up a partially started project though bankruptcy, cancel the pre-orders and backers, then release a finished product you and your children can buy again.

View attachment 523911

Well, seeing as how hangars didnt exist until mid-13 to even look at your pretty paid for pixels, arena commander until 14, star marine until early 16, and the actual persistent universe until the last month or so of 15 consisting of one station. Totally nothing has changed or been released since you backed the project in 2012, not at all.

Give credit where credit is due, and dont mis-represent timeline and what was/wasnt complete and functional when you backed the game. There is plenty of things to bitch about and hate the game for that you dont have to misrepresent the progress that has or has not been made in 10 years. Just look at the ACTUAL timeline above and you can be just as snippy about the timeframe and poor rate of progress without making things up.
You literally backed development when there was no game, there was nothing at all in existence for the backer, and then have the gall to claim nothing has changed since then.

Yikes, just installed this after a few years away on my new OC'd 7950X system and it still runs like total shit. And the graphics are from like 2014, even on max. How are people still throwing money at this, runs and feels like an Indie game in alpha.
Other than upgrading from a mechanical drive to a nvme or SSD I don't think it really matters much. Possibly more ram from like 16GB to 32GB but that's debatable. The game is far from being optimized properly IMHO due to its constant changes, additions, patches, and so forth. In short the latest and greatest hardware guarantees nothing performance wise.

Star Citizen will transcend storage media. When the project first started, mechanical HDD's were the primary PC storage media. Development will span the entire history of SSD and be released when holographic storage media is mainstream.

Star Citizen will transcend storage media. When the project first started, mechanical HDD's were the primary PC storage media. Development will span the entire history of SSD and be released when holographic storage media is mainstream.
:ROFLMAO: Good call!

Close, but I’m pretty sure we’ll have to wait until at least quantum holographic storage media becomes mainstream.

Star citizen......that frist game people will have to leave to the kids.. seriously I wonder how many of the original backers will die before they get to pay it.

As I've said many times, I don't think that was the original intent. I think Chris Roberts had unfettered access to that money with no one to hold him accountable and that's what it's turned into. That's the worst case scenario of course. At best it's a horribly mismanaged project where nothing, including the money is being managed properly.

Most games have lofty goals in the their design phase and end up getting trimmed down due to budgetary, time and technological constraints. Star Ponzi hasn't done that because the money keeps flowing. If CIG actually had to deliver a game in a reasonable time frame it would have to be scaled back.
I believe it has already been discussed in this thread, but most of the money is basically not going to the company. At least a few years back it was obvious. Him buying multiple expensive properties, Aston Martin's, etc.

There is also just the waste and deciding to stand up dev studios in horrifically expensive areas.

Also, do I even need to mention the sheer amount of money wasted on all the motion capture and voice acting of very expensive AAA Hollywood actors for the original SQ42 stuff, that now will likely never be used?

This game is why I don't use Kickstarter anymore, or do anything with 'early access' labeled on it. I'm still pissed off that I kickstarted a game that was supposed to be focusing on a single player experience first (SQ42), with a multiplayer that was largely only going to be the same scope as Freelancer afterwards, but that ended up never happening. Should have known better from Chris Roberts given that the only thing that saved Freelancer was Microsoft.

I'm sure this will all eventually collapse, and he'll blame the lack of sufficient technology. However, cryengine would have been just fine given the original scope of the game. The new scope? This game really wouldn't be possible without a modern engine like UE5, etc.

As to why this game continues to get cash the answer is very simple. This was NFT's before NFT's were a thing and look how many idiots invest in NFT's. No different than giving your money to some mega-church asshole who uses all that money to fly around in private jets and have massive mansions across the country.

I believe it has already been discussed in this thread, but most of the money is basically not going to the company. At least a few years back it was obvious. Him buying multiple expensive properties, Aston Martin's, etc.
This was pretty obvious to me too. Again, I don't think he set out to scam anyone but he ended up having access to millions of dollars without any oversight and the temptation to use that money for personal things was too strong.
I'm sure this will all eventually collapse, and he'll blame the lack of sufficient technology. However, cryengine would have been just fine given the original scope of the game. The new scope? This game really wouldn't be possible without a modern engine like UE5, etc.
It's just like a ponzi scheme except he doesn't have to pay any of it back. Our current laws for investment schemes don't cover things like Kickstarter. CIG and Chris Roberts may have had a fiduciary duty in the moral sense to use the money for its intended purpose but not necessarily in a legal sense.
As to why this game continues to get cash the answer is very simple. This was NFT's before NFT's were a thing and look how many idiots invest in NFT's. No different than giving your money to some mega-church asshole who uses all that money to fly around in private jets and have massive mansions across the country.
Agreed. At some point no one will believe the lies and no more revenue streams will be available to continue.

I’d be fine with the scheme if I could at least get my money back as a “normal person”. Let the idiot faith whales keep paying, but I want my $120 back.

It is absolutely absurd they are getting $80mil a year at this point.

Keep in mind, that graph only shows 'donations' or whatever you want to call it. It doesn't show the tens of millions early on from other larger investors.

Keep in mind, during this time, we've had both Elite Dangerous and NMS which both offer massive expansive worlds with plenty to do, and really, i'll be honest, Elite at this point basically offers almost everything Star Citizen originally made promises about anyways.

Last edited:
So some Star Citizen videos made it into my Youtube feed and I am tempted to finally give it a try. I know the money doesn't add up to the product available currently but it does look fairly playable as a space sandbox game. Anyone playing it and enjoying it?

So some Star Citizen videos made it into my Youtube feed and I am tempted to finally give it a try. I know the money doesn't add up to the product available currently but it does look fairly playable as a space sandbox game. Anyone playing it and enjoying it?
I recommend watching this first.

Yes I play it quite a lot.

Wait for the next patch 3.18 to release. Should be released in a couple of months.

It's already being tested by a small number of people at the moment

I recommend watching this first.

That's actually the video that piqued my interest. It looks janky but I think there is enough 'gameplay' there to get my money's worth at least. He also made a few follow up videos that seemed interesting although he did get gifted millions of credits in game.

Yes I play it quite a lot.

Wait for the next patch 3.18 to release. Should be released in a couple of months.

It's already being tested by a small number of people at the moment
Thanks, I might buy it now since there is a holiday sale on starter packs.

I’d be fine with the scheme if I could at least get my money back as a “normal person”. Let the idiot faith whales keep paying, but I want my $120 back.

It is absolutely absurd they are getting $80mil a year at this point.

Keep in mind, that graph only shows 'donations' or whatever you want to call it. It doesn't show the tens of millions early on from other larger investors.

Keep in mind, during this time, we've had both Elite Dangerous and NMS which both offer massive expansive worlds with plenty to do, and really, i'll be honest, Elite at this point basically offers almost everything Star Citizen originally made promises about anyways.
I remember sitting on my computer back in like 2011 or something debating whether or not to buy an imaginary ship for like $80.00. I didn't and forgot about this for the most part.

I love the game, BUT I am not currently playing it.
It is too buggy.

You get yeeted out of your ship, the ui stops working. You have to eat and drink, but it glitches to where you can’t hold food or drink in your hands. The same bug affects tools and weapons.

These bugs are not rare either, play for a couple of hours and you’ll get one. Might even get one straight away. It will force you to suicide to fix. There are countless other bugs, but they aren’t dealbreakers for me.

If those were fixed I would be playing it right now.

Anyone else notice that whenever someone asks if they should try SC out, a supporter usually comes back with "wait for the next patch because....."?
I was about to make the same observation. If it's not worth playing in the state its in when someone asks if the game is worth checking out, I wouldn't expect the next patch to be the magic bullet that changes that. After almost a decade in development, this is no where near finished. At this rate, it never will be.

Am I reading this right? $83+ million in 2022? They're beating their previous years by such a margin. I thought it was slowing down if anything.
Oh, that's way out dated. It's $112 million in 2022 with a handful of days to go still. It's pretty insane how much money a tech demo is bringing in. Maybe someday it'll be enough of a game for me to go play, but, I've wasted enough hours with it for the foreseeable future.

Back