Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

That has to be an inside joke. If it isn't, I'm not sure what to say.
Honestly in the last year or two, the trolling by CIG towards backers has become mocking with some of this stuff, if you keep your eyes peeled. They test how far they can push fluff development, because actual gameplay and large additions break the code spaghetti monster.

UnknownSouljer
In before the announcement to move to UE5 (with ray tracing!)
I give it until the end of the year before we hear an announcement.
God damn [H] is trash with quotes after the revamp, it loves putting an un-enterable gap below when pasting now, especially desktop mode on android (joys of business overseas). Anyway, you clearly don't understand game development [is what the SC boys would say on plebbit].
What you are missing is that this is game as a development service. Normal rules do not apply. IF they release squadron 54 and it bombs as expected, they lose funding. If they 'release' SC out of alpha hell, same thing, there is no hiding behind 'ItS aN AlpHa' BS. That's why when Chairman Crobear himself and his letter (holy lol) released this year, the Beta promise is more goal post moving, carrot dangling 'debunk' material. The faithful can now screm BETA +2 years instead of 'server meshing/jesus tech +2 years'.
The carrot keeps the whales milked and shekels pouring in. Finishing any of the games would be detrimental to their funding, once you understand this, the fluff (aforementioned) and literal backer trolling makes sense. Normal game dev doesn't apply here at all.

With a new rig I look forward to trying the jank that is free fly one day. I might even buy it outside of that and refund just to see how it's going when the servers aren't absolutely hammered, but I hear it's a hit and miss regardless usually.

Last edited:
Welcome to events in Star Citizen :D
Although a workaround if you really want to go see ILW and the show room and stuff, use an EU or AUS server. I had no issues wandering around last night to go see the first day of the show and visit the flying fleet.
I assume the server clusters in EU/AUS arent being as overworked as the US ones are. I know the US servers had ques for a while yesterday which is why I went to EU.
Doing events in this game is neat, and they show great stuff to newcomers.
But doing events in this game is not something any new comer is going to have the patience, knowledge, or skill to actually do without someone helping them - unless they get super duper lucky and everything just goes perfectly.
I do events because Im patient and know that it takes 47 tries to find a server thats working, 18 tries more to have the server not crashing during an event, and 1 try to see the glory.
Whats fun is I only slightly kid. And I still love this game.

Tomorrow I hope to be the proud owner of an Idris P if I get through the store during the limited release window and can use my store credit - which is an even more limited window before they sell out than the normal sale window for cash.
I like this game, and Ive spent a lot of money on it, but $1500 fresh cash is just too much :p I've spent a lot more than that, but slowly over time, doing upgrades $20-100 at a time.
Oh I did IAE last year - but this, a missing city? that's hilarious. I spend most of the event helping new folks and free fly folks figure it out.

I'm not sold on the Idris. I want a Kraken, but the Jav/Idris seem too focused. Also debating on the Anvil Swarm and Liberator. Maybe trade in the 325A since htey nerfed the Atlas drive a ton.

I'm sticking to the AMD racer I won, my trusty penguin, and currently I have a Blue 'Lass, but I'm not sure if that will stay. But I hope to have time to hit the event tomorrow, it's always been interesting and I hope to see the missing city / major bug described. I always just get the boring stuff.

Oh I did IAE last year - but this, a missing city? that's hilarious. I spend most of the event helping new folks and free fly folks figure it out.

I'm not sold on the Idris. I want a Kraken, but the Jav/Idris seem too focused. Also debating on the Anvil Swarm and Liberator. Maybe trade in the 325A since htey nerfed the Atlas drive a ton.

Honestly the main difference between the Kraken and the Idris is the Idris will be in the front line with direct fire weapons and fighters, while the Kraken will be a back line support carrier.
The thing that sells me on the Idris is the internal hangar that supports 4 craft - hangar runs the full length of the ship, can launch out the front and land in the rear for simultaneous usage. It also has the S10 mount, significantly more powerful defense turrets, and (with the -K BUK) a large missile battery as well as 4 CIWS mounts and includes the S10 weapon rather than having to afford one in game.... which I dont want to know how much it would be... Its a fighting ship that also carries a decent contingent of fighters, where as the Kraken is solely a carrier and would have to rely on its fighters to do all of the work against anything other than light/medium enemy ships.

I love the idea of hte Privateer Kraken - mix the BMM with the Kraken so you don't need both; and it looks cool as hell. :) Plus, both my orgs have multiple idrii anyway :D

IIRC, the Kraken has a goodly set of S8/S9 guns for defense too (although the fighters and dragonfly swarm are the key weapons).

Why would you buy a ship that you can't utillise fully, without a crew that's more than 50% of server population? And isn't in game for another few years. Seems absurd to me. But I play a game with 500usd tanks. At least you can use them.

Is it purely from funding PoV?

Last edited:
Why would you buy a ship that you can't utillise fully, without a crew that's more than 50% of server population? And isn't in game for another few years. Seems absurd to me. But I play a game with 500usd tanks. At least you can use them.

Is it purely from funding PoV?
Somewhat - and you get loaners while it's not available (good ones too, in these cases).

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Somewhat - and you get loaners while it's not available (good ones too, in these cases).
Ahhh forgot about that, thanks for clearing it up. I'm one of 'those other sub' guys but like many there, people just want to see the game actually make it to a decent portion of what was promised. Because the way things are going (bed sheets, bartenders etc), the game isn't focusing on the gameplay and actual priorities it feels. Still one system after 10 years does my head in, I'd rather have a damn loading screen and multiple systems.

So I am trying the free week long event.Download 80GB ,instal and I excited to play,thinking this time it has to work good.
Seems like the same old same old.People playing the game should not be the the problem,check out the chat if interested.

I know it is my crap computer.I also tried all resolution and settings,not good at all.
♦ CPU - Intel 12900k With Enermax LIQMAX III 360 ARGB
♦ GPU - Nvidia RTX 3080
♦ RAM - G.Skill 32 GB DDR4 4000Mhz Dual Rank
♦ Mobo - MSI Pro z60-A (BIOS 7D25v10)
♦ SSD - ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade Read:7400MB/s; Write: 5500MB/s
♦ DSP - LG B9 65" 4K UHD HDR OLED G-Sync Over HDMI
♦ PSU - EVGA GQ 1000W ♦ CASE -Phanteks Eclispe 500A

Untitledwww.jpg

Did quick video

19FPS? That's crazy. I'm fairly playable at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti (I think medium settings). I'll try to hit it tonight to see what the framerate is.

How long were you in game? Shaders compile on use - so first time in an area is slow for about 2 minutes till they've all built (especially in Orison, which is all volumetric clouds too).
1. Turn off motion blur / film grain
2. Turn down volumetric clouds.

Both of 1 are post-processing and slow. 2 is orison. The rest is shaders - after about 3 minutes it should be smooth, and they're cached for the future, but get rebuilt after each patch.

How long were you in game? Shaders compile on use - so first time in an area is slow for about 2 minutes till they've all built (especially in Orison, which is all volumetric clouds too).
1. Turn off motion blur / film grain
2. Turn down volumetric clouds.

Both of 1 are post-processing and slow. 2 is orison. The rest is shaders - after about 3 minutes it should be smooth, and they're cached for the future, but get rebuilt after each patch.
uninstalled,it is not good

Was Henry Cavill announced as part of the cast of Squadron 42 from the beginning or did they add him later? I figure that would be something I would remember.

Maybe they are quietly recasting, at this point I'm guessing most of the original cast hired for it will be dead by the time they are ready to shoot.

The sad part is looking at what SC has done so far, you could probably hack together what exists from scratch in about 18 months or so. While being more stable and being less of a performance hog.

Honestly, the sheer lack of progress is staggering. There's a side of me that wants to get back into active development, snag a few of my old SW guys, and make a better SC. Because honestly, it wouldn't be that hard. There's nothing here that hasn't been done before, and from everything I've seen there's nothing a decent team couldn't replicate, from scratch, in a year or two.

Was Henry Cavill announced as part of the cast of Squadron 42 from the beginning or did they add him later? I figure that would be something I would remember.

Maybe they are quietly recasting, at this point I'm guessing most of the original cast hired for it will be dead by the time they are ready to shoot.
Well, according to a Facebook post by him four years ago, I would say he was already cast for a while. Other than that, he's been pretty radio silent on the casting. Which is weird, because he's a huge nerd who loves gushing about his nerdy roles.

The sad part is looking at what SC has done so far, you could probably hack together what exists from scratch in about 18 months or so. While being more stable and being less of a performance hog.

Honestly, the sheer lack of progress is staggering. There's a side of me that wants to get back into active development, snag a few of my old SW guys, and make a better SC. Because honestly, it wouldn't be that hard. There's nothing here that hasn't been done before, and from everything I've seen there's nothing a decent team couldn't replicate, from scratch, in a year or two.
You would literally be a multi millionaire within a couple years if you could do it, so do it if its so easy. Its not that easy and you damn well know it, or you or someone else WOULD have done precisely this. The players are there. The money is clearly there. You claim to have the skill and know people to do it. So do it, theres no reason not to. Its guaranteed to be a success if you can pull it off.

Only reason you wont is because you're blowing hot air.

You would literally be a multi millionaire within a couple years if you could do it, so do it if its so easy. Its not that easy and you damn well know it, or you or someone else WOULD have done precisely this. The players are there. The money is clearly there. You claim to have the skill and know people to do it. So do it, theres no reason not to. Its guaranteed to be a success if you can pull it off.

Oh, if I weren't locked in my current job for the next few years and had the monetary resources to cover two-plus years of development, I'd consider it. Wouldn't bet on recouping development costs though; there's much less demand then you think there is for this type of project.

And FYI: I've been a professional Software Engineer for a good 15 years now, and I've worked on everything ranging from 40 year old systems written in hardcoded assembly to state of the art programs abstracted to holy hell with hundreds of thousands (if not over a million) lines of code. And I've not once missed a deadline that I impose because I have a damn good understand how long it takes to develop, test, and document code that I am responsible for. And I'm telling you, there's nothing SC has done that a competent team of developers couldn't hack together within two years. Hell, a single system and a single ship you could probably cobble together in a month or two; it's not that hard, especially with modern engines and toolsets. The key is to cut out the cruft that Roberts has introduced into development and focus on the core features first and foremost. And those core features are, frankly, nothing special.

"Go build your own Twitter" :ROFLMAO: .

I had a YouTube video come up yesterday praising the new patch. I figured what the hell and dragged out my hotas and installed.

I last played in 2020 and liked where it was going but couldn’t play due to the user interface glitching out. For instance when I would go cave mining when I would pick up ore the ui would crash after a while and I couldn’t do anything but reload the game, which would send me back to my ship.

My frame rate feels significantly higher. Started in new Babbage and have some drops in crowed areas, but the average is around 60 instead of 40. The game is cpu limited and I have the same 9900k that I had back then.

There seems to be a lot more to buy from vendors. You have to eat and drink now. I picked up some water and cheeseburgers to prepare for my adventure.

You can finally sell loot.

I plan on getting my son on and try to start farming up for a ship. I can live with occasional disconnects and glitches. What I experienced before was a deal breaker.

Hopefully it keeps going the way it is, because for my tastes this is game is far more desirable than elite and no man’s sky.

Game has now passed 500,000,000 in funding which is insane. Also about 3-4 weeks out from it being 10 years since I made my pledge to this piece of garbage.

Wait until the ray tracing update is announced. I think at this point it is all but expected, plus another year of development time on top of everything else.

With Squadron 42 nowhere in sight, who knows how long Star Citizen will take. But I doubt Chris Roberts would ever be okay with releasing a game that looks graphically dated. Even if everything else was ready to do I can see him delaying the game another 1-2 years just to update the graphics. Because this cutting edge game won't look cutting edge whenever it comes out.

Wait until the ray tracing update is announced. I think at this point it is all but expected, plus another year of development time on top of everything else.

With Squadron 42 nowhere in sight, who knows how long Star Citizen will take. But I doubt Chris Roberts would ever be okay with releasing a game that looks graphically dated. Even if everything else was ready to do I can see him delaying the game another 1-2 years just to update the graphics. Because this cutting edge game won't look cutting edge whenever it comes out.

Between the feature/scope creep, project mismanagement and constantly chasing the best graphics to the point of redoing them every few years, this game will never been done.

A lot of it comes down to patience for the bugs. It can be extremely frustrating at times.

The bugs that affect my play style the most are:

-Some times you can't hold objects in your hands, which prevents you from eating or drinking. Only way I know of to solve it it go to a station (so you don't lose your gear) and suicide. Might happen multiple times a day or not appear for several days.
- On one occasion I could not interact with anything and had to log off and wait on my insurance claim to continue with what I was doing.
- After mining quantanium, which has a timer after collected and can explode... I would get to the station and it would either be inert (worthless) in the sales kiosk. I heard you should store your ship upon landing to stop the timer. I stopped doing that and just went to sale it immediately and its hasn't happened since.
- I have been yeeted out of ships a couple of times while walking around or using an elevator in quantum travel. Don't know how to reproduce it as it has only happened twice in say 50 hours.
- Bunker missions, often the elevator is bugged, which you can get to work most of the time with some spam clicking, or the last npc you have to kill is missing or in a wall. Some times the security guards have a delay in their blue markers popping up for friendly... Picked up a crime stat for that a couple of times.
- Many of the npcs are disabled and just stand in groups. I assume due to server load or pathing not being implemented.
- A lot of people complain about disconnects. I only get those occasionally and fortunately I have loaded back into my ship when appropriate.

The most pressing bugs are the ones concerning interaction with screens and objects, they seem to pop up the most frequent.

That being said, I am a scfi nerd and love space games. I have countless hours in elite vr. Have a VKB Gladiator HOSAS setup for it.
Honestly for me star citizen in its current state is more fun than elite. Not just that, the atmosphere and art just feel right.

Here is an example of what I did yesterday on star citizen.
I ran bounties to kill pirates, Flew around the system buying upgrades for my ship. Then I had the coolest experience, my last bounty. I am not sure, but I think he may have been a player. He was mining in a ground vehicle with his ship landed right next to him. I came in and destroyed his ship. Then destroyed his mining vehicle, which allowed me to use my hand held tractor beam to load a crate of his gems into my ship, which I proceeded to take to a mining outpost to sell.

Sure there are idiots spending big money on concept ships, but to say it is all slides and concept art is disingenuous. Its just buggy and not fully baked, but what is in there is unlike anything I have seen before.

Between the feature/scope creep, project mismanagement and constantly chasing the best graphics to the point of redoing them every few years, this game will never been done.
The DNF timeline, sadly that did not turn out well.

10 years, half-a-bill, and no game(s).

Definitely not a scam, nopenopenope

As I've said many times, I don't think that was the original intent. I think Chris Roberts had unfettered access to that money with no one to hold him accountable and that's what it's turned into. That's the worst case scenario of course. At best it's a horribly mismanaged project where nothing, including the money is being managed properly.

Most games have lofty goals in the their design phase and end up getting trimmed down due to budgetary, time and technological constraints. Star Ponzi hasn't done that because the money keeps flowing. If CIG actually had to deliver a game in a reasonable time frame it would have to be scaled back.

Can you really blame them? They have emissed every deadline by far and have produced maybe 15-20% of promised features.... and yet somehow backers call it the greatest game ever.

As I've said many times, I don't think that was the original intent. I think Chris Roberts had unfettered access to that money with no one to hold him accountable and that's what it's turned into. That's the worst case scenario of course. At best it's a horribly mismanaged project where nothing, including the money is being managed properly.

Most games have lofty goals in the their design phase and end up getting trimmed down due to budgetary, time and technological constraints. Star Ponzi hasn't done that because the money keeps flowing. If CIG actually had to deliver a game in a reasonable time frame it would have to be scaled back.
I almost believe they should be *hiding* the true backer total at this point, not promoting it. It's a huge fucking red flag to anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Game has now passed 500,000,000 in funding which is insane. Also about 3-4 weeks out from it being 10 years since I made my pledge to this piece of garbage.

Hehehe. I have two ships. Haven't touched it in.... ....I don't know 2-3 years. Last time I tried, it was just confusing. Not really what I signed on for. So, maybe I'll try it again some day, maybe not. In the meantime No Man's Sky is where I get my space wandering done.

I almost believe they should be *hiding* the true backer total at this point, not promoting it. It's a huge fucking red flag to anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid.
Yeah, they are the only group I know of that is literally advertising how much money they've fleeced from the public versus hiding it. Doing that probably serves to "prove" it isn't a scam.

I can understand why Scam Citizen could take hundreds of millions to make given the idiotic scope but there is no excuse for Squadron 42 not being done.

500 million dollars and no game? Anyone who contributes to this fiasco at this point is a fool.

Yeah, they are the only group I know of that is literally advertising how much money they've fleeced from the public versus hiding it. Doing that probably serves to "prove" it isn't a scam.

I can understand why Scam Citizen could take hundreds of millions to make given the idiotic scope but there is no excuse for Squadron 42 not being done.

500 million dollars and no game? Anyone who contributes to this fiasco at this point is a fool.

You're passed out in your Aurora. You hear a knock on the revolving hatch. You lazily hit the button as the hatch whirs into action. A quick whisp of hangar air rushes in along with the familiar phrase: "Have you heard the good news?"

What, ray tracing before HDR? HDR is way more important and should come way before ray tracing.

As an original backer, I install and log in about once per year. I kinda stopped doing it as every year I logged in, everything was basically the same.

SC reminds me of Escape from Tarkov. The base game/design/technical challenges are so broken, the only thing the developers do is add "fluff" onto a pile of poo as "progress".

Last edited:
Back