Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Zzzzz

I'm loving this game
It's great that you love the "game," it really is.

How is ToW these days?

Did they finish the FPS portion of the "game" yet?

How much of each city and station is actually accessible again?

How is that ship customization coming along?

When is the next system going to be released? I am sure plenty of people would like to know before putting down $100's on exploration ships.

How are the alien interactions? Did they do a good job with the linguistics they promised?

It's great that you love the "game," it really is.

How is ToW these days?

Did they finish the FPS portion of the "game" yet?

How much of each city and station is actually accessible again?

How is that ship customization coming along?

When is the next system going to be released? I am sure plenty of people would like to know before putting down $100's on exploration ships.

How are the alien interactions? Did they do a good job with the linguistics they promised?
Lot's are accessible and quite a few FPS mission's you can do already.

Love it

Bought new ship. Logged back in. Character reset to default. Had to start over.
Alpha it is

Recreated character. Flipped andromeda on a moon when I tried to open the cargo bay (LAWL). Claim/reload.

Got avenger titan in game finally. Took basic deliver mission. Picked up 3 boxes. Delivered 2. Last one? Can't figure out how to deliver it to CRU-L1. Go to elevator - game loses connection when I push the elevator button. Quest lost, all that time (about 1.2 hours) lost.

It's a tech demo. It's not yet a game. It has a ton of promise - but it's not yet a game.

No point squashing bugs when half the game is not done yet and also 3 major core tech pillars not in place yet.

Once it's done, then it's time to fix bugs properly.

It's basic software development 101
So I wanted to address this. In agile development, you have a MVP (minimally viable prototype) to prove that you COULD make something someone wants. From there you move to the more traditional MVP (Minimally viable product). Right now, we're 7 years in, and they're still between the two - they need to squash the bugs and get the basics working right now so that you can complete missions/etc and actually do something other than shoot stuff in the game, THEN start adding more features and expanding the universe. Right now, if you try to claim that this is a second-stage MVP (product level), it's hard to take that seriously because so much is non-functional. It's not the "feature not yet complete" that is the problem for most of us, it's the "feature doesn't even work slightly right" part. It's not yet really a game - it's beyond the prototype sure, but it's not really a game yet. Especially because of things like yeeting a cargo ship off a moon by opening the bay doors - or crashes right when you're finishing a contract so you can't get paid.

So I wanted to address this. In agile development, you have a MVP (minimally viable prototype) to prove that you COULD make something someone wants. From there you move to the more traditional MVP (Minimally viable product). Right now, we're 7 years in, and they're still between the two - they need to squash the bugs and get the basics working right now so that you can complete missions/etc and actually do something other than shoot stuff in the game, THEN start adding more features and expanding the universe. Right now, if you try to claim that this is a second-stage MVP (product level), it's hard to take that seriously because so much is non-functional. It's not the "feature not yet complete" that is the problem for most of us, it's the "feature doesn't even work slightly right" part. It's not yet really a game - it's beyond the prototype sure, but it's not really a game yet. Especially because of things like yeeting a cargo ship off a moon by opening the bay doors - or crashes right when you're finishing a contract so you can't get paid.
Think our buddy that you quoted probably only has experience in very antiquated Waterfall type dev, if any. His comment made me LOL with how out of place it is for any recent (i.e. past ~15 years) of development.

Think our buddy that you quoted probably only has experience in very antiquated Waterfall type dev, if any. His comment made me LOL with how out of place it is for any recent (i.e. past ~15 years) of development.
It's also early agile - MVProduct (not prototype) first, and then just iterate on features without really fixing bugs. Instead, take the prototype and make hte basic version of that as fully functional as possible, THEN add features. Defining product vs prototype is bloody stupid hard (see Marty Cagan's Inspired for great examples / determination tips), but it's a key difference.

You can TOTALLY prototype features too - and do MVProduct for those, but you fix them up before you move onto the next too. Or at least have them majority functional.

Last login - three elevators missing, yeeted andromeda (again), crash on elevator button push, lost all character details (had to recustomize), and an epic PVE mission completed (woo!). The promise is SO good. But... fix bugs with it in current state, then start iterating the fuck out of features and add them!

Lot's are accessible and quite a few FPS mission's you can do already.

Love it
I was hoping you would actually answer the questions, from what you and others are saying it sounds like quite a but has been done and I actually am curious as to just how much of the "game" has been fleshed out in the last year or two

I was hoping you would actually answer the questions, from what you and others are saying it sounds like quite a but has been done and I actually am curious as to just how much of the "game" has been fleshed out in the last year or two

Nothing has really been fleshed out but a lot of things have been added. Nothing feels like its all that far outside of an alpha state.

Nothing has really been fleshed out but a lot of things have been added. Nothing feels like its all that far outside of an alpha state.
Yeah. It's showing a ton of progress and promise, but it's all... just partially or mostly there. Navigating is a pain in the ass and buggy. Missions pay... meh at best. Mining/etc pay the most.

Contracts you're looking at ~15-20k an hour of income. That's... not good from what I can tell. Still getting a handle on the economy. A cargo run across the existing system is 5-10k in income. For 20 minutes of flying.

I started because the free event. Interesting experience. I loved the train ride to the star port. But spawned my ship then went out the airlock and ran to the garage to get my ship but no way to get there, the garage door wouldn't open. Logged out to read help... Logged back in and was in my bed again. Does everybody log in on their bed after logging out? I thought I'd still be outside the garage door.

I started because the free event. Interesting experience. I loved the train ride to the star port. But spawned my ship then went out the airlock and ran to the garage to get my ship but no way to get there, the garage door wouldn't open. Logged out to read help... Logged back in and was in my bed again. Does everybody log in on their bed after logging out? I thought I'd still be outside the garage door.
yep.

Welcome to the Star Citizen Free Fly Event! available now. free to try until 27th August

They HAVE to fix the elevator bug. I jsut spent 30 minutes trying to get downstairs from green circle. No elevators. Ever.

This isn't agile. This is fucking around for fun.

edit: Finally got out. Whew. Free fly is fun - just, don't go to Orison. I actually flew someone out of there because they couldn't spawn ships. Free ride to a different planet.

Now - emergent gameplay. We were playing chess in a Star Runner while flying between planets for 8 minutes. This was AWESOME. The fact that we had to in order to bypass bugs? That needs work. But was hilarious.

Last edited:
Need hanger, not garage. Garage is for cars.

sc-elevator.png

Nice view from the elevator.

I hate to say it but even with the free week they just gave I couldn't find the desire to even try to log in and play. I tried twice to get into a ship and exit the hanger but was never able to because I couldn't find the keystrokes quick enough to tell the operator to open the hanger doors and it cancels your request and tells you to start over, etc. There is no tutorial or any instructions on what to do... You just have to try to figure it out. Navigating to the right menus etc with a limited time frame didn't appeal to me. I had to alt-tab and follow a guide online but just doing that was a chore and by the time I read the tutorial I was already cancelled. Since it seemed very "instanced" meaning I didn't actually see another player in the station other than NPC, I'm not sure why they even have a time limit there.

I may try again in a few years. But sorry Chris Roberts, no money from me. Right now EVE Online gives me more entertainment. I had 30 hours in that game last week.

It's an elevator, not an airplane door. You're supposed to be looking at whatever floor he took the elevator to.
Actually the inside of the elevator. It’s a known bug with the renderings engine; it hasn’t loaded yet. Walk away, wait a minute and come back. For better or worse, they model the entire damn system and all sub systems- sometimes they don’t load fast enough for the user. That’s why most of us stay off planets unless needed- they’re more complex than space stations. Also, no atmo to climb through to leave.

Actually the inside of the elevator. It’s a known bug with the renderings engine; it hasn’t loaded yet. Walk away, wait a minute and come back. For better or worse, they model the entire damn system and all sub systems- sometimes they don’t load fast enough for the user. That’s why most of us stay off planets unless needed- they’re more complex than space stations. Also, no atmo to climb through to leave.
Yes, that would be, like I said, an elevator. :rolleyes:

I didn't post the original, I don't care what the issue is. I was just answering his question.

I stay off planets because if I want to be on a planet, I have to drop to 1920x1080 as my 1060 cant handle 2560x1400 .

And it takes too long to just get off the surface and do anything at all if you dont have a lot of time. To take off and get to a mission somewhere else in the verse, you're looking at 30+ minutes from a planet surface. Maybe 10 from a station instead.

When they eventually let you log out and come back where you were rather than only when logging out in beds, itll be a lot better.

Yeah, I am all for realism, but the travel speeds of the ships needs to be much higher. I don't want time to play the Wookie some holochess, but some trips are 10+ minutes of Quantum, after clearing atmo.

I stay off planets because if I want to be on a planet, I have to drop to 1920x1080 as my 1060 cant handle 2560x1400 .

And it takes too long to just get off the surface and do anything at all if you dont have a lot of time. To take off and get to a mission somewhere else in the verse, you're looking at 30+ minutes from a planet surface. Maybe 10 from a station instead.

When they eventually let you log out and come back where you were rather than only when logging out in beds, itll be a lot better.
That works now, ish. I haven’t tried deep space but it definitely does at a station, just bad things happen when you spawn on a pad not yours.

Yeah, I am all for realism, but the travel speeds of the ships needs to be much higher. I don't want time to play the Wookie some holochess, but some trips are 10+ minutes of Quantum, after clearing atmo.

Get a better Q drive :p Theres a fine line in them between speed and distance, but any ship that can mount it, can easily use an XL-1 quant drive and be able to jump across the system without refueling, and I can cross the system in 4-5 min.
The Atlas which is a civilian of the XL 1 can do the cross map in 8 minutes. And the industrial takes about 18 minutes to jump across, but it can jump like 4 times farther per fuel load.

Back