Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I'm hoping to hop in this weekend, it didn't crash once last time I was able to play, and persistence is working (I actually had all the stuff I bought). I know the game sucks and should have been finished years ago, but I also still think what they have going on is pretty unique. And no, they haven't gotten a dollar after the first rush (bought a pirate package and won an AMD racer and Penguin).

They are going into a period of diminishing returns imho. They can keep on crawling along with this game but sooner or later some other company is going to make something like this a lot better and faster. They can't afford to rebuild everything every time a new game engine is out and still expect people to look forward to this. It's been years and while it's made some progress, it's a long way from finished. Don't even think it's out of Beta yet?
It's either going to be a mildly groundbreaking game, or it will turn into the new Duke Nukem fiasco the longer they take to get it out.
(Of course, it's making the developers money, but i think he's been known for dragging his games along to soak up the cash)
But just my .02 though :whistle:

They are going into a period of diminishing returns imho. They can keep on crawling along with this game but sooner or later some other company is going to make something like this a lot better and faster. They can't afford to rebuild everything every time a new game engine is out and still expect people to look forward to this. It's been years and while it's made some progress, it's a long way from finished. Don't even think it's out of Beta yet?
It's either going to be a mildly groundbreaking game, or it will turn into the new Duke Nukem fiasco the longer they take to get it out.
(Of course, it's making the developers money, but i think he's been known for dragging his games along to soak up the cash)
But just my .02 though :whistle:
Beta? Your funny man.

While it may not have started out as such, I think the following definition will eventually find its way into Merriam Webster. I'm also really looking forward to the documentary film covering Star Citizen one day:

Star Citizen, noun: The embodiment of the long con, on a grand scale, using a video game.​

An elaborate confidence game that develops in several stages over an extended period of time wherein a person or group gains the victim’s trust, often bypassing small profits with the goal of reaping larger payouts over time or in a final maneuver. The key to pulling off a con is giving your marks the illusion of control while you and your team continue to fleece them and manipulate their choices, getting them to continue investing or buying in.

See: Long con, confidence game, confidence scheme, ripoff, scam, a grift, a Bunko, a swindle, a gaffle, a bamboozle, and stratagem. Intended victims are often known as marks, suckers, stooges, mugs, rubes, or gulls (from the word gullible). When accomplices are employed, they are known as shills (see plant or stooge).

From wikipedia:
Stages of a con
  1. The Foundation: Preparations are made in advance of the game, including the hiring of any assistants required and studying the background knowledge needed for the role.
  2. The Approach: The victim(s) are approached or contacted.
  3. The Build-up: The victim(s) are given an opportunity to profit from participating in a scheme. The victim's greed is encouraged, such that their rational judgment of the situation might be impaired.
  4. The Pay-off: The victim(s) receive a small payout as a demonstration of the scheme's purported effectiveness.
  5. The "hurrah": A sudden manufactured crisis or change of events forces the victim(s) to act or make a decision immediately.
  6. The In-and-In: A conspirator (in on the con, but assumes the role of an interested bystander) puts an amount of money into the same scheme as the victim(s), to add an appearance of legitimacy. This can reassure the victim(s, and give the con man greater control when the deal has been completed.
Confidence tricks exploit typical human characteristics such as greed, dishonesty, vanity, opportunism, lust, compassion, credulity, irresponsibility, desperation, and naïvety.

Cons succeed for inducing judgment errors—chiefly, errors arising from imperfect information and cognitive biases. In popular culture and among professional con men, the human vulnerabilities that cons exploit are depicted as 'dishonesty', 'greed', and 'gullibility' of the marks. Dishonesty, often represented by the expression 'you can't cheat an honest man', refers to the willingness of marks to participate in unlawful acts, such as rigged gambling and embezzlement. Greed, the desire to 'get something for nothing', is a shorthand expression of marks' beliefs that too-good-to-be-true gains are realistic. Gullibility reflects beliefs that marks are 'suckers' and 'fools' for entering into costly voluntary exchanges. Judicial opinions occasionally echo these sentiments.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to hop in this weekend, it didn't crash once last time I was able to play, and persistence is working (I actually had all the stuff I bought). I know the game sucks and should have been finished years ago, but I also still think what they have going on is pretty unique. And no, they haven't gotten a dollar after the first rush (bought a pirate package and won an AMD racer and Penguin).

Translation: you're the kind of person who put up with shit from publishers, because you're used to it.

I also bet you were responsible for preprdering Cyberpunk and hen making it even wirse by not requesting a refund (thus making them nearly 1 billion in revenue last year)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...ds-barely-dented-cd-projekt-reds-bottom-line/

If you don't hold game companies to some standards, then we will never climb out of this shithole! You keep handing them money with "no strings attached," then they are going to contonue to taake advantage of you!

Bad translation. I missed WC and Freelancer, and hoped giving disposable money would start a comeback of the genre. Or that Chris would finish a game for the first time ever. Either way, I'd have something to play when I don't feel like playing Warframe or working through my backlog. I don't preorder, and I understand kickstarting anything is betting- not buying.

Bad translation. I missed WC and Freelancer, and hoped giving disposable money would start a comeback of the genre. Or that Chris would finish a game for the first time ever. Either way, I'd have something to play when I don't feel like playing Warframe or working through my backlog. I don't preorder, and I understand kickstarting anything is betting- not buying.

No, I stand by my first translation: you're eternally hopeful that the fool will somehow magicallly change hs behavior

Without a change in input, the fool is going to keep eating the massive amounts of food you left him to eat (manwhille, micromanaging everthing he touches to death). You still think that somehow , he's going to change his behavior THIS TIME!

The only way you can get a cohesive product from Chris is if you take him out of management - after twenty years runing his own studio (and only one shipped product), I would hope yoiu understand this?

Last edited:
I'll give it a whirl and see how performance is on my hardware hopefully this weekend as well. 3.9 or 10 wasnt too bad performance wise but I didnt have time to do much. The others were a bit choppy since they increased player count on the servers again.

Most of us in this thread who have bought in knew exactly what we were putting money into and that is why there is little goading or argument from us. I'm not sorry I spent what I spent. I have enjoyed a lot of the releases and while I would love it to be completed I have also been critical of the mismanagement and problems. Though those issues are not surprising to me. So meh.

Some people are happy spending money on coffee or alcohol, or smokes for a short fix and cancer. I have spent spent less than they do in a month or two on a video game that has given me more return in the stable and enjoyable releases. Both could be considered pissing money away, just a different receptacle yet both sides are okay with their spending.

I'll give it a whirl and see how performance is on my hardware hopefully this weekend as well. 3.9 or 10 wasnt too bad performance wise but I didnt have time to do much. The others were a bit choppy since they increased player count on the servers again.

Most of us in this thread who have bought in knew exactly what we were putting money into and that is why there is little goading or argument from us. I'm not sorry I spent what I spent. I have enjoyed a lot of the releases and while I would love it to be completed I have also been critical of the mismanagement and problems. Though those issues are not surprising to me. So meh.

Some people are happy spending money on coffee or alcohol, or smokes for a short fix and cancer. I have spent spent less than they do in a month or two on a video game that has given me more return in the stable and enjoyable releases. Both could be considered pissing money away, just a different receptacle yet both sides are okay with their spending.
"Star Citizen: At Least it Isn't Cancer"

Translation: you're the kind of person who put up with shit from publishers, because you're used to it.

I also bet you were responsible for preprdering Cyberpunk and hen making it even wirse by not requesting a refund (thus making them nearly 1 billion in revenue last year)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...ds-barely-dented-cd-projekt-reds-bottom-line/

If you don't hold game companies to some standards, then we will never climb out of this shithole! You keep handing them money with "no strings attached," then they are going to contonue to taake advantage of you!

I shit on SC just as much as the next person with common sense, but I don't agree with this comparison. I pre-ordered Cyberpunk because I had faith in CDPR's past success, and I ended up with 60 hours of enjoyment (so far) from it. It has its quirks, but there's a whole bunch of context you're leaving out here.

SC quite literally has no 'past success', and I'm positive I don't need to go into that laundry list of reasons why it's a scam. You already know all of those.

For those that are interested in the update 'shows' but without time, Noobifier has really quick summaries of what the various teams are working on, breaking hour long shows gown to less than 10 minutes. Great is you don't have the time to keep up with the discussions.

For those that are interested in the update 'shows' but without time, Noobifier has really quick summaries of what the various teams are working on, breaking hour long shows gown to less than 10 minutes. Great is you don't have the time to keep up with the discussions.

I'd rather just take this much easier picture summary.

8m2hgfpda8v61.png

The only people who think Star Citizen updates are worth discussing on long videos are TRUE BELIEVERS like yourself. The rest of us will be satisfied with immersion-breaking bugs like this:

https://v.redd.it/t27azqahb7v61/DASH_1080.mp4

And pilot-breaking exploding ships.

I can't imagine that will last forever.

You'd be surprised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

The number of kook religious cults out there is more than I can list on this page (and you'd be surprised how many are still standing today, there are two fucking competing post "The Great Disappointment" Adventists churches!)

As long as the current worshipers continue to convert others, this shit will never die - killing new controverts is the major reason I even post.

Last edited:
Eventually this will make an interesting documentary to see how exactly they fooled so many gamers. And for so long.

I can't even begin to imagine just how they are keeping funding at such a high level. At this point, who is left to throw millions at this game every month?

Always liked his stuff. I skim through some of Bored gamers

Well SC or CP games may get some money from me when it is a finished product. About the only game software I buy at launch or before is ID Software, they at least have a working game and bugs squashed, if any, rapidly. Otherwise I can wait 6 months to 2 years and get a better game in the end usually at a cheaper cost and enjoy it that much more. Of course there are exceptions, Microsoft Simulator I pre purchase and that is an amazing piece of software.

I need to crew on a Hammerhead once, just to see how big it is. During the last big ship show I go on an 890 jump it took a while to figure out the layout- that thing is huge! My Penguin felt like a shotgun shack after being on it. Oh, I need to run around a Redeemer also, looks very Nostromo from the pics I've seen.

https://kotaku.com/lets-check-in-on-star-citizen-shall-we-1846977066

Even the first Mass Effect had working elevators...

Again. this is the Chris Roberts experience. Star Citizen will *never* be done with CR at it's helm, because he'll keep pushing for new improved systems to replace the ones that are out of date because the project has taken so long, continuing the cycle.

Hard to believe it was 8 years ago when I went all-in and I bought every ship and every variety they offered. I think they released the Hangar module in July/August 2013.

In the 8 years since, is there anything remotely resembling a complete game? A game that in 2013 was still advertised as being completed in 2014.

Jesus, if I spent that money I'd be pissed!

I'm not sure I'll like what they make if they ever so make it (it's leaning way to sim job for me), but I also wonder how they get these bugs. My system isn't special, but I suffer a tenth the bugs I see on youtube. But more often than not I'm able to hop on and kill myself / crash at Mach 7 long before the (insert number) elevator kills me. Hell, I don't remember the last time I saw a killer elevator. But then I remember fun games that look great that have quick mission (with a ton of variety) and I'm out of SC for another month.

Jesus, if I spent that money I'd be pissed!

No worries! In Summer of 2014, I came back to the game and realized nothing at all had changed and the "finished" game was due in a few months. I had to get out. All of my ships had the LTI bullshit (another scam for another day), and I dumped all of them on the grey market for a nice profit. I'm one of the few, besides Chris Roberts, that actually made money off of SC.

Nice! I only bought a police ship, and I have to admit I never thought to sell it. But I won a cutlass and a friend gave me an AMD race mustang, so I have a whopping 3 ship fleet, but the Avenger and Cutlass are basically the same ship. The AMD Mustang is fun though (but you can black/redout in a minute). I feel like the next year is going to see if someone can take control away from CR, or if he's willing to tank the game for artistic / conman tendencies.

I feel like the next year is going to see if someone can take control away from CR, or if he's willing to tank the game for artistic / conman tendencies.

Weren't you one of the hardcore supporters in this thread? (My apologies if I'm confusing you with someone else.)

I sense a marked change that now leans towards skepticism. What was the catalyst? I'm just curious because I think all of us will hit a breaking point at some junction. Mine just came extremely early in the project.

I'm not hardcore, and still say I have enough hours that I've enjoyed in game that I don't feel like it's a scam or criminal. I wish there was better leadership but anyone who thought CR was going to have concise leadership and fast timelines is a poor read of people and history. And I've actually enjoyed most of this 'shoot for the stars' development, even if it's not the way I want it to go. Hell; making entire languages? Crazy.

I'm not hardcore, and still say I have enough hours that I've enjoyed in game that I don't feel like it's a scam or criminal. I wish there was better leadership but anyone who thought CR was going to have concise leadership and fast timelines is a poor read of people and history. And I've actually enjoyed most of this 'shoot for the stars' development, even if it's not the way I want it to go. Hell; making entire languages? Crazy.

I've told you before that "Pretending there is no problem" is part of the reason you're stuck where you are.

Much like a violent cop will simply be ignored by co-workers , until he goes on a on-camera violent rampage (and the ignorant who looked away will say "nobody could have seen this coming, how could this be my fault?"

People like you would rather hope-for-the-best, all while knowing he has a long history of being completely inept, and attntion-seeking. But without that initial KickStarter success story (to give him Internet Fame to convince the uncertain), there wouldn't have been anywhere near the number of Attention-Seeking Whales drawn to this shitty project.

Rich Internet Trolls don't usually move-in and pretend "they have always loved Chris Roberts More Than Anyone Else" by buying 30,000 worth if ships every month, until they have enough bowing disciples in the community to be worth their time; they don't have limitless cash to waste that much on every kickstarted game around.

Last edited:
I was all hopes for this...the first game I played with a soundcard is wing commander 2. I backed this with a freelancer.....now at pretty much june 2021 fuck off Chris Roberts.

Back