Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

20% goes to PR people to write meaningless progress updates that really doesn't reveal anything about the actual progress of the development

Remember though, when you crowd fund them they won't need to spend money on marketing. Hosting expensive annual in person events, multiple web series, news letters and articles weekly isn't marketing. Its... not, somehow. :p

Road map for a roadmap.

The post also explains what happened to those “video check-ins”, which appear to have suffered from a bloat endemic to so many parts of Star Citizen. Pitched as a semi-regular, lower-budget, easier to produce alternative to their usual update vids, the first run of “The Briefing Room” was reportedly somewhat underwhelming. Pushing up the quality meant creating new art assets, which then meant asking the team to capture new B-roll footage after normal, and then the production was pushed back further by key team-members falling ill and taking time off.

That first Briefing Room is likely still coming in a few weeks – though not as “scrappy” as once planned – along with a collection of other updates. Stage one of that four-step plan should also come into effect “pretty soon”. But it’s hard not to see the production issues around dev updates and a quickfire video as reflective of the problems with Squadron 42 (and Star Citizen) as a whole.

And therein lies (part of) the problem. These projects are timely and expensive, but they need to keep the funding rolling in somehow. The irony is they would need less funding and shave off lots of expenses if they cut the crap out. Seems like key members spend too much time on film and other useless crap, which can't be helpful.

Remember though, when you crowd fund them they won't need to spend money on marketing. Hosting expensive annual in person events, multiple web series, news letters and articles weekly isn't marketing. Its... not, somehow. :p

Road map for a roadmap.

And therein lies (part of) the problem. These projects are timely and expensive, but they need to keep the funding rolling in somehow. The irony is they would need less funding and shave off lots of expenses if they cut the crap out. Seems like key members spend too much time on film and other useless crap, which can't be helpful.
They only create these "projects" because they can't create the game Chris Roberts said he could and releasing the "projects" keeps the money rolling in.

Star Citizen has delivered it’s latest update, entitled Flight & Fight...as the title implies, the update mainly focuses on the game’s core mechanics, adding new depth to its flight controls and options for combat...you can also expect a new vehicle type, the ROC (remote ore collector), updates to various existing ships, and more...according to Cloud Imperium Games, this latest update “marks a significant step towards our final vision for Star Citizen.”...

Did the big update today, hopefully I will have time this weekend to look. Someone posted a quick update and it looks like some big changes.

Did the big update today, hopefully I will have time this weekend to look. Someone posted a quick update and it looks like some big changes.

Quite a lot of kerfuffal on Spectrum about it in various mixed ways, very different flight model. Need to see how much they "fixed" from the PTU to the PU release, I may give this a try to two but depending on how unstable I'll wait another patch or two.

Star Citizen has delivered it’s latest update, entitled Flight & Fight...as the title implies, the update mainly focuses on the game’s core mechanics, adding new depth to its flight controls and options for combat...you can also expect a new vehicle type, the ROC (remote ore collector), updates to various existing ships, and more...according to Cloud Imperium Games, this latest update “marks a significant step towards our final vision for Star Citizen.”...

I have to hand it to them, their production value on their produced media content is insane. Roberts should just give up making a "video game" and instead just make an episodic tv series or something for Netflix or Hulu or whatever. Netflix actually just stated that they're looking for original properties that can be as big as a Star Wars (obvious to combat Disney). Roberts can obviously make videos. Might be a better use of his production companies time.

I have to hand it to them, their production value on their produced media content is insane. Roberts should just give up making a "video game" and instead just make an episodic tv series or something for Netflix or Hulu or whatever. Netflix actually just stated that they're looking for original properties that can be as big as a Star Wars (obvious to combat Disney). Roberts can obviously make videos. Might be a better use of his production companies time.

While I feel that much of Star Citizen's benefit is in its game systems (both existing and designed), I agree they have excellent production values. They also have world class worldbuilding and lore. For those that may not be aware, some years ago many detractors were claiming that it was a waste of time and money to hire linguistic and cultural experts for the game's development. It was a stretch goal and here are some of the direct applications of that investment

Banu Language - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/vg5vq01b40voor/source/Rust-Society-Banu-Guide.pdf
Xi'an Language - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/9f3kqrtzkslfmr/source/Xian-Language-Overview-V6.pdf

Fully constructed languages both for speech and written systems, internally consistent, and developed inspired by the unique cultures of these alien races. Hundreds of pages long, and with a plan to implement this in the game world in a meaningful way. The design, last as I was aware, was that players can gain access to a UI/HUD overlay program that auto-translates both spoken and written alien languages, at different levels of understanding or specialty content. For instance, a disk for basic Xi'an may let you get around on one of their worlds, translate street signs, allow you to engage in basic discussion etc... but it wouldn't; handle specialty topics like STEM and the like (ie very similar to the real world. An auto-translate will do for basic communication but without special data it will not be able to handle medical terms, for instance), for which you'll need additional disks.

There will also be cultural cues that differ and some better programs may give you some hints to that. However, all of this puts you in the "tourist" category and the idea is that players who take the time to learn some of the language and culture will have a more accurate understanding on a cultural level, which will have certain benefits during things like business negotiations or other missions. So if you notice they use the word for "acceptable" that means "I expect a gift to seal this transaction elsewise I will prioritize it below those who DO give me a gift" , will get a better deal faster compared to those who just clicked "okay" when the auto-translate said "acceptable". That kind of thing. I know some will find this tedious or concerning, but by no means will MOST encounters be like this nor will you have to learn it to succeed in game. However, its just part of that immersive depth - if you choose to engage heavily with these alien cultures, its a good idea to understand them culturally and invest in better MobiGlass software at least, or possibly pick up the language if you have the interest. This is the kind of thing that is inspiring about Star Citizen compared to many other titles and I look forward to seeing it continue to be developed.

Its obvious that the worldbuilding is exceptional and since the beginning CIG has put out a ton of stories and other loredumps. It would easily be possible for them to make a deal with Netflix to create some Star Citizen universe shows, but I'd want their writers and other staff to be focused primarily on the game instead. Still, licensing it off to a competent production team to create something - for instance, if they did the Imperial age of the UEE (during the period of time where there was an all-powerful Emperor etc) or one of the various wars of contact with other civilizations , that could easily provide a "Star Wars" counter. Even their short stories found in monthly Jump Points are typically better than a lot of sci-fi these days on TV.

I guess their budget is divided as such:

50% goes to shell companies of CR
20% goes to PR people to write meaningless progress updates that really doesn't reveal anything about the actual progress of the development
20% goes to artists creating sellabe Jpegs of promises
10% goes to the trickle development of features they did not promise originally and nobody has asked for, to keep the hype alive.

Plus I'm still convinced SQ42 is vaporware, there is no game there never was. it was an empty promise they made in 2012 to bait single player gamers not just mmo fans.

It's time to call in Jim Browning to have a look behind the veil of this scam.

I'm not sure about the budget allocations, but it does look reasonable way to distribute resources for how they operate. I am sure that not ever releasing a product is part of their business model. As long as people keep committing money to assets, previews and promises, the gravy train will roll in ad infinitum for RSI. When are folks going to realize they never intend to release a completed product because releasing a product breaks their model.

Whether this was there model all along, or they originally intended to release a product eventually, I don't know. I do know the intent is to keep the money rolling in for what amount to day dreams. Bookmark this post: the way I see this will playing out is they sales of their assets and pledges will start fizzling out over the next year or so. Sometime around 2022 when the model becomes completely unprofitable they'll make an announcement they are defunct and do not have a completed project. Years later, the code will be release for people to toy around with, but at that point, we would have moved on interest wise and technically.

When are folks going to realize they never intend to release a completed product because releasing a product breaks their model.
Why would it break their model? They can still release add-ons for a released game. They just realized that they don't even have to deliver a game and the whales pay anyway.

Why would it break their model? They can still release add-ons for a released game. They just realized that they don't even have to deliver a game and the whales pay anyway.
Their model is to keep ripping people off with false promises and never actually deliverer a product. Once people get tired of the bs and the money coming in dryers up. They will claim bankruptcy and disappear with hundreds of millions of dollars.

Anyone who's worked in development knows that putting together small working demos and having UX create assets and prototypes is substantially cheaper/less effort than completing, releasing and supporting a finished, working product. Right now, and for the past several years, they've been able to pull earnings like they have a finished product by selling shiny assets and "potential", but only have a fraction of the cost to actually deliver one.

Anyone who's worked in development knows that putting together small working demos and having UX create assets and prototypes is substantially cheaper/less effort than completing, releasing and supporting a finished, working product.
Of course, that was never in question.

While I feel that much of Star Citizen's benefit is in its game systems (both existing and designed), I agree they have excellent production values. They also have world class worldbuilding and lore. For those that may not be aware, some years ago many detractors were claiming that it was a waste of time and money to hire linguistic and cultural experts for the game's development. It was a stretch goal and here are some of the direct applications of that investment

Banu Language - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/vg5vq01b40voor/source/Rust-Society-Banu-Guide.pdf
Xi'an Language - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/9f3kqrtzkslfmr/source/Xian-Language-Overview-V6.pdf

Fully constructed languages both for speech and written systems, internally consistent, and developed inspired by the unique cultures of these alien races. Hundreds of pages long, and with a plan to implement this in the game world in a meaningful way. The design, last as I was aware, was that players can gain access to a UI/HUD overlay program that auto-translates both spoken and written alien languages, at different levels of understanding or specialty content. For instance, a disk for basic Xi'an may let you get around on one of their worlds, translate street signs, allow you to engage in basic discussion etc... but it wouldn't; handle specialty topics like STEM and the like (ie very similar to the real world. An auto-translate will do for basic communication but without special data it will not be able to handle medical terms, for instance), for which you'll need additional disks.

There will also be cultural cues that differ and some better programs may give you some hints to that. However, all of this puts you in the "tourist" category and the idea is that players who take the time to learn some of the language and culture will have a more accurate understanding on a cultural level, which will have certain benefits during things like business negotiations or other missions. So if you notice they use the word for "acceptable" that means "I expect a gift to seal this transaction elsewise I will prioritize it below those who DO give me a gift" , will get a better deal faster compared to those who just clicked "okay" when the auto-translate said "acceptable". That kind of thing. I know some will find this tedious or concerning, but by no means will MOST encounters be like this nor will you have to learn it to succeed in game. However, its just part of that immersive depth - if you choose to engage heavily with these alien cultures, its a good idea to understand them culturally and invest in better MobiGlass software at least, or possibly pick up the language if you have the interest. This is the kind of thing that is inspiring about Star Citizen compared to many other titles and I look forward to seeing it continue to be developed.

Its obvious that the worldbuilding is exceptional and since the beginning CIG has put out a ton of stories and other loredumps. It would easily be possible for them to make a deal with Netflix to create some Star Citizen universe shows, but I'd want their writers and other staff to be focused primarily on the game instead. Still, licensing it off to a competent production team to create something - for instance, if they did the Imperial age of the UEE (during the period of time where there was an all-powerful Emperor etc) or one of the various wars of contact with other civilizations , that could easily provide a "Star Wars" counter. Even their short stories found in monthly Jump Points are typically better than a lot of sci-fi these days on TV.
CIG promised a game, not short stories or movies.

Edit: Where has anything you posted been implemented into SC or SQ42? Where on any roadmap that has been released has it been shown to be added in?

So using what has been released up to this point, what is there to be excited about?

Last edited:
Inside Star Citizen: Featherweight | Summer 2020

Get ready for some fowl play as the Esperia Talon remasters Tevarin tech for hit-and-run combat...then explore how the art of motion capture breathes life into the little moments of Squadron 42...

CIG promised a game, not short stories or movies.
I'm the guy that prompted Rance's response. But to be clear, I don't disagree with what CIG promised. My point however was they clearly have no way of ever completing anything. Whereas it's obviously clear that they are capable of essentially making great stories with lore building. I bet they could finish a film before they will ever finish this game. But it's likely we'll never see any completed project regardless of art-form.

Last edited:
Hurm still no game I click on this every 6 months and it's allways the for the last few YEARS game is still in early alpha they keep adding more junk to it but not making the game at least most games that are in early access this long and still alive in the dev cycle tend to make massive progress.....this one is shiny ships still

Chris Roberts speaks!

The founder of Cloud Imperium Games took to the Star Citizen forum to respond to player complaints...Last week a Star Citizen player made a video about its atmospheric room system, which has been in the works for four years, expressing frustration with the amount of progress made...Cloud Imperium Games director Chris Roberts replied on the Star Citizen forum...

Roberts began philosophically, saying that, "My biggest disappointment with modern internet discourse is that there's a significant amount of cynicism, especially in forum or reddit debates, and a portion of people assume the worst...if a feature is missing, late or buggy it's because the company or the developer lied and or/is incompetent as opposed to the fact that it just took longer and had more problems than the team thought it would when they originally set out to build it."...

"I can promise you the gameplay I described is not a pipe dream, nor will it take 10 to 20 years to deliver."...read his full lengthy post below...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...atmospheric-room-system-4-years-later/3368356

Domt forget where he said the game is still in early alpha!

Oh, and his comment about how he started working on a new roadmap at the beginning of the year, which would mean he hasnt been able to develop that in 9 months.

I also wouldn't apply "philosophical" to his ramblings considering all the criticism and negativity has been shown to be well deserved due to tue constant lies and lack of progress.

Domt forget where he said the game is still in early alpha!

Oh, and his comment about how he started working on a new roadmap at the beginning of the year, which would mean he hasnt been able to develop that in 9 months.

I also wouldn't apply "philosophical" to his ramblings considering all the criticism and negativity has been shown to be well deserved due to tue constant lies and lack of progress.

Where the F is this roadmap anyways? I paid for this game like almost 8 years ago now(1 month and counting)

he wasn't just talking about SC but games and internet/Reddit/forum culture in general and he's right about that

Last edited:
Since SC kick started I have:

1. Finished my PhD program
2. Moved to a new part of the country
3. Had three different jobs (by choice for the raises and professional growth)
4. Got married
5. Had a kid
6. Purchased our first home
Kind of puts it in perspective doesn't it..... 7 kid had own kid by the time it's done LMAO

I wish the PTU was never a thing and people stopped paying for PTU ships. Maybe then we would have gotten the SP game we were promised years ago. Selling virtual ships was just too lucrative.

I'm not sure the single player would have been delivered yet. There is a chance that it would have but the back end assets and tools from the single player make their way into the PU. They have separate teams developing some assets and aspects while some are going to be for both. All things considered I believe we would still be waiting for the single player even without the PU.

I am not against the ship sales, if people keep paying for them that's the on people willing tp spend the money. I invested what I was happy with and really enjoyed the 2.x series and early 3.x. Stretch goals and ships do bug me but I know the team building those is not going to fix server meshing or any of the other issues so its pointless to get too annoyed at it. A bit of solid project management and some dates to get things in place with reasonable movement would do them so good. Keep Chris in creative direction but out of overall control. Not like they cant add more stuff with patching.

Every handful of patches they get a stable release and I enjoy things overall for that release then I follow but don't play much for the problem ones.

Back