Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

It's just a sad show at this point of watching people throw gas on a burning ship in hopes it will make the trip before it sinks. I envision Chris roberts and team will be the subject of a class action lawsuit before too long.

They could just finish the Stanton System (after 3.9, only the Crusader landing zone remains before all points of interests are done), release it as complete and then release star systems as they go on as content updates.

COVID-19 is a really bad blow for SC, considering that people are trapped at home, with most people not having a job realizing that they spend too much on a game in development then they should have, really bad combination for PR. Not to mention that 3.9 is more then 3 weeks delayed with a lot of content slipping in forth coming patches after the last year of being fairly consistent. I haven't played for the last month because I'm sharing my office (because work at home) and I needed to take down my flight sticks for room (heck I finally got prescription lenses for my VR headset and haven't touched that). But unless you have a crew of people playing with you, its more of a meditative experience then an entertaining one.

I'm still pro SC, they were making real progress, but I have plenty of people that I know that have moved on since the project is taking so long, some even became pretty anti-SC because they spend as much as they had. And I tell people if you are interested in this project, buy a starter package and that is it, check it out every now and again after a major patch (people are more then happy to drive people around or let them use their ships) and then forget about it again for a while until your interest peaks again.

One of my coworkers just recently fell into one of those MLM scams. Ya know, the ones promising a world of success if only you spent 'x' amount of dollars and recruited 'x' amount of underlings.

I can make so many parallels between their situation, and anybody remotely supporting this trash fire. I don't care what package you bought, or how 'cautious' you were recommending this game to your friends.

You are complicit. Reap your fucking endless reward.

Star citizen a scam spanning decades raking in hundreds of millions of dollars.

It seems destined to be one of three things.

1. A VERY special game that loves it's players and it's universe that attracts people that want to live in this living breathing game world.

2. A underwhelming flop, and deemed a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars for not meeting expectations and failing to deliver on what was promised to the consumers that backed it.

3. A complete dumpster fire that never sees the light of retail release or fails just completely.

Edit: CR is getting pretty blatant now... https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/uk/monetisation-designer-wilmslow

Whatever happened to "We have enough money to finish the game?"

Well that is to be expected even if the game was on track. Every major AA online game is a games as a service these days. Star Citizen's genre and concept explicitly requires an ongoing persistent server, which means it needs to be monitized somehow. And new content will constantly be added with much of it charged to keep the game afloat. So that isn't out of the ordinary.

Doesn't mean this game is not far off track and will likely never amount to anything good.

It is very likely that if it ever releases it will be immediately dated and stale too.

Well, of course it will. The image quality has been steadily headed backwards as they've added more features/more NPCs.

They don't have the know-how to revamp their crappy engine, so they just keep cutting image-quality back to make up for it.

I was really looking forward to playing SQ42, it's sad that what I suspected since 2014-2015 that it is complete vaporware is proving to be true.

Guess it is too late to ask for a refund now?

Im still hoping this game turns out but like RangerXML said I got sick of the waiting a long time ago. I sold off all my LTI ships and actually made a very healthy profit ($150ish in profit), purchased one of those AMD never settle codes and have kep that for myself as a starter package incase this game does materialize into something worthwhile.

Chris Roberts would like to thank you for your contribution to his gravy train, and looks forward to your next contribution on future gravy trains.
Then he has a lot of looking forward to do, because I'm not getting fooled again.

Yeah- I stumbled on one of the AMD codes also. If nothing else, that a fun and fast ship.

Star Citizen is free to try for 11 days

From May 22 to June 1 anyone with a game account can test fly new ships, whether they've bought it or not...last year's free flight event allowed you to try every ship in the game, though this one focuses on the UEE Navy...as with before, the ships available will rotate every few days, so you can check back to try out new ones...

https://www.pcgamer.com/another-star-citizen-free-fly-event-is-coming-this-week/

Star Citizen is free to try for 11 days

From May 22 to June 1 anyone with a game account can test fly new ships, whether they've bought it or not...last year's free flight event allowed you to try every ship in the game, though this one focuses on the UEE Navy...as with before, the ships available will rotate every few days, so you can check back to try out new ones...

https://www.pcgamer.com/another-star-citizen-free-fly-event-is-coming-this-week/

Like actually free? Last time I tried this it was "free" but I still had to buy something... however that works. lol

I really do want to try it.

Edit... DL all that shit... cant get in. lol SMH

Last edited:
Like actually free? Last time I tried this it was "free" but I still had to buy something... however that works. lol

Edit... DL all that shit... cant get in. lol SMH

Well, its a very popular event and free-fly at that. Are you having any particular issue or is it just congestion at login? If its the latter, then just keep trying every so often - much like any title during periods of unusually heavy demand, sometimes there's a queue or other login troubles.

And yes, it is actually free. I'm not sure what you were talking about before unless you meant events where certain ships were free and openly accessible to all but you still needed a game key in order to have access. These are/were mostly intended for existing players to have the chance to try out certain ships, but there are also "free fly" events like the one going on this week where all you need is to sign up for a RSI account (free), but you can log in and play even without a game package/account key applied.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17611-Invictus-Launch-Week-2950-Details

Let me look into things a little more, but if you have any questions feel free to ask in thread. I, or someone else can likely help. If you decide you like the way the game is going, during these events it is often a great time to buy a new game key, as there will be discounted packages and the likes, often especially for newcomers. Its important to know that the only things you "need" to buy for Star Citizen are the game keys (aka there's one for "Star Citizen" aka the public, MMO universe, and another for the single player story Wing Commander-style "Squadron 42" campaign.) . Unlike many other titles they are not banking on exclusivity so just about everything - ships, cosmetics, and other stuff included - will also be able to be earned and unlocked in game!

You only need one to get full access to the playable alpha, and each key is typically about $45 - reasonable for a full game. . However, there are many ways in order to get them cheaper. For instance, if you buy your S42 key alongside your first SC game package they'll discount it heavily, so you can get both of them for about $65. There are also all kinds of promotions and other things during events where the game keys/packages are cheaper, and this doesnt' count how long-term backer with "legacy" packages have both keys included all ready among other benefits ; we can trade/sell them to others. It is worth mentioning that in line with most crowdfunding type projects and games in development in general, things slowly become more expensive as development progresses so if you like what you see its good to get in earlier to save.

Hey, after 8 years of development what game doesn't have a bunch of issues?

*and anyone who knows development, knows that it is perfectly normal for SC to still only be maybe 15% complete after 8 years and $300 million, so giving them money is definitely not throwing good money after bad!.

** remember kids, Chris Robert's said he had enough money to finish the game 3 years ago and it was supposed to be released 5 years ago lol.

Last edited:
Well, its a very popular event and free-fly at that. Are you having any particular issue or is it just congestion at login? If its the latter, then just keep trying every so often - much like any title during periods of unusually heavy demand, sometimes there's a queue or other login troubles.

And yes, it is actually free. I'm not sure what you were talking about before unless you meant events where certain ships were free and openly accessible to all but you still needed a game key in order to have access. These are/were mostly intended for existing players to have the chance to try out certain ships, but there are also "free fly" events like the one going on this week where all you need is to sign up for a RSI account (free), but you can log in and play even without a game package/account key applied.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17611-Invictus-Launch-Week-2950-Details

Let me look into things a little more, but if you have any questions feel free to ask in thread. I, or someone else can likely help. If you decide you like the way the game is going, during these events it is often a great time to buy a new game key, as there will be discounted packages and the likes, often especially for newcomers. Its important to know that the only things you "need" to buy for Star Citizen are the game keys (aka there's one for "Star Citizen" aka the public, MMO universe, and another for the single player story Wing Commander-style "Squadron 42" campaign.) . Unlike many other titles they are not banking on exclusivity so just about everything - ships, cosmetics, and other stuff included - will also be able to be earned and unlocked in game!

You only need one to get full access to the playable alpha, and each key is typically about $45 - reasonable for a full game. . However, there are many ways in order to get them cheaper. For instance, if you buy your S42 key alongside your first SC game package they'll discount it heavily, so you can get both of them for about $65. There are also all kinds of promotions and other things during events where the game keys/packages are cheaper, and this doesnt' count how long-term backer with "legacy" packages have both keys included all ready among other benefits ; we can trade/sell them to others. It is worth mentioning that in line with most crowdfunding type projects and games in development in general, things slowly become more expensive as development progresses so if you like what you see its good to get in earlier to save.
First day of the event and the latest patch so always a few issues among the regular issues :p

Might as well stop posting useful stuff or logic in this thread, its become nothing but a circle jerk of angry people who are personally offended about the game and Roberts for some reason, and cant let others enjoy things they dont enjoy. You know, because there hasnt already been hundreds of pages of people repeating the **same goddamn whining** about the development and game in general. No no, each post by the people whove already posted 100 times in the thread is new, and has new reasons to be angry, not the same repeated bullshit, no way! Not at all!!

(Yes, Im aware that most of my posts in this thread have been pointing out the fact that many people have a stick up their ass about this game and need to just shut the hell up, but thats ok because I dont apply the same rules to myself, duh)

Might as well stop posting useful stuff or logic in this thread, its become nothing but a circle jerk of angry people who are personally offended about the game and Roberts for some reason, and cant let others enjoy things they dont enjoy. You know, because there hasnt already been hundreds of pages of people repeating the **same goddamn whining** about the development and game in general. No no, each post by the people whove already posted 100 times in the thread is new, and has new reasons to be angry, not the same repeated bullshit, no way! Not at all!!

(Yes, Im aware that most of my posts in this thread have been pointing out the fact that many people have a stick up their ass about this game and need to just shut the hell up, but thats ok because I dont apply the same rules to myself, duh)
You don't think its important for people to know that Chris Robert's said the game would be out 5 years ago?

Or that supposedly he had enough money to finish the game with everything he promised?

How important is it to let people know there is very little actual game play?

That ai is basically non existent still?

Before someone sends more money, that supposedly isn't needed to Chris Robert's and families personal bank accounts, they should know what they are actually getting into.

Personally, I believe valid criticisms of a game weigh equally in importance to its praises.

But whatever, bro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You sound weirdly frightened of the truth. Sounds like unhealthy white knighting...

It's called, try out these sshps free, then drop $800 on nit next moneht.
You sound weirdly frightened of the truth. Sounds like unhealthy white knighting...

Right, it's the reason I post videos like "Hotdog i s going to lock you up". Because this is unaccapatbble amount if game-breaking bugs for a gme this long in development.

Ok so it launches, sits in a queue, then crashes. Reinstalled 3 times same result... gave up. I tried this a few years back, but same result, it would never run.

Why are you trying to sell me on it? Lol, *if* they make it to release, I'll definitely get a copy. I have backed/crowdfunded plenty of things, Elite Dangerous was one of them. They started at the same time, Frontier however managed to get a game out and have expanded on it over the years. If after 8 years I can't install a demo client and fly a ship around without rolling back system driver's etc, I'll just keep waiting until they get something more coherent out. I do plenty of tinkering/configuring/troubleshooting etc all day at work, I just want to come home and play games, not fiddle with shit lol.

Guess I'll check back in 2021.

Ok so it launches, sits in a queue, then crashes. Reinstalled 3 times same result... gave up. I tried this a few years back, but same result, it would never run.

Why are you trying to sell me on it? Lol, *if* they make it to release, I'll definitely get a copy. I have backed/crowdfunded plenty of things, Elite Dangerous was one of them. They started at the same time, Frontier however managed to get a game out and have expanded on it over the years. If after 8 years I can't install a demo client and fly a ship around without rolling back system driver's etc, I'll just keep waiting until they get something more coherent out. I do plenty of tinkering/configuring/troubleshooting etc all day at work, I just want to come home and play games, not fiddle with shit lol.

From two weeks back:

PSA: Stay away from the game until they fix the gamebreaking bugs. Your account degrades over time.

Don't make the same mistake I did: sinking more and more hours hoping the hotfixes and promises of a fix would help.

Don't play until 3.9.1 and community confirmation that the game is fixed.

Otherwise, the consequences for you will certainly be the same as they have been for me:

- I now have 5 duplicate Sabres and 4 Duplicate Cutlasses. One of each is usable.
- I am missing 1 million+ worth of components (each of my 5 resets has deleted all componentry)
- Two out of four hardpoints on my Cutlass no longer exist. The remaining two cannot be customised.
- I typically go 0-2 hours before I need a Character Reset in order to continue playing.
- But most importantly, my account has gotten perpetually worse each time I've been forced to Reset.

The game is now unplayable for me immediately following a Character Reset.

Stay away, don't risk your account being corrupted like mine.
Personally I'll be waiting until the next patch to see if that resolves anything and then filing a ticket. IDK what they can possibly do though. In the meantime I've made a number of Issue Council posts and twice as many contributions. Hopefully we get this sorted soon.

Every time Chris adds a major new feature.. it takes him a year to hack his way around the massive bugs. Persistence is the latest feature on that list!

At this rate, you'll be waiting until 2030 for that first beta!

ditto on this whole experience a few years back, tried again last year and same thing. This mess needs to be burried.

I had something like that in 3.6 or something. Had to go wipe the remaining folders and maybe a registry key cant recall but something was being retained after uninstall that needed to be wiped as part of the launcher upgrading or something. Since then I have not had those issues though I have had to verify files once or twice. 3.9 is the first version I've been able to play at all since 3.3 or 3.4 due to stability with my hardware. Though I am not making any attempt until maybe Tuesday to avoid the rush of people messing around with the free stuff. Thankfully I moved my character to a more remote location so when I spawn in I'm not surrounded lol.

I had something like that in 3.6 or something. Had to go wipe the remaining folders and maybe a registry key cant recall but something was being retained after uninstall that needed to be wiped as part of the launcher upgrading or something. Since then I have not had those issues though I have had to verify files once or twice. 3.9 is the first version I've been able to play at all since 3.3 or 3.4 due to stability with my hardware. Though I am not making any attempt until maybe Tuesday to avoid the rush of people messing around with the free stuff. Thankfully I moved my character to a more remote location so when I spawn in I'm not surrounded lol.

Yeah, the new patcher / launcher seems to have really corrected a bunch of problems. I meant to not delete the user folder after the last update, to see if the GameGlass hooks would stay correct, but I killed it out of muscle memory.

Back