Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

3.7 published to the live servers

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17252-Alpha-37-Into-The-Depths

Patch notes:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//17296-Star-Citizen-Alpha-370

Banu Defender

RSI Mantis

Plus by defeating the new and much tougher Pirate Swarm you earn a badge to purchase a pirate version of the Gladius

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17281-Ominous-Tides

P.S: Those concerned about griefing with the Mantis realize that the ship itself is quite weak. The way they balanced it is by the fact that the QED pushes the ship's power plant to the near limit where even firing its guns will deplete the device's charge (and it has some weak ass distortion guns to being with).

So to take full advantage of the ship you'll have to join up and coordinate with others cause by itself it's a pushover. Plus this is tier 0 of the gameplay mechanic. In an upcoming version of the law system using the QED device to interdict players will mark you as a criminal and will make it possible for others to retaliate without them getting a crime stat plus NPCs will hunt that player as well.

Last edited:
I don't think you really need to worry about burner accounts, but I also agree that having the ability to scan for disruption would be cool. Maybe limited to ships with larger sensor suites (science / recon).

Especially if we can quickly and easily sell that information to the market.

Interesting little glitch here. Was attempting to do a Covalex delivery mission, departed ArCorp to Wala for pickup. Two different occasions, two different ship hulls. I get out of QT and arrive at Wala only to find that I have zero ship controls. Nothing I do will restore those controls. Then upon exiting the ship, it completely disappears leaving me stranded...

Ouch. I think I had a similar bug many versions ago where I got stuck in interaction mode before there was a toggle or something.

I have not played since 3.4 so I'm getting to grips with the flight model / control changes making it difficult to go anywhere for now lol.

Interesting little glitch here. Was attempting to do a Covalex delivery mission, departed ArCorp to Wala for pickup. Two different occasions, two different ship hulls. I get out of QT and arrive at Wala only to find that I have zero ship controls. Nothing I do will restore those controls. Then upon exiting the ship, it completely disappears leaving me stranded...

I posted the "ship disappears after you exit" earlier in the thread. It's still around six months later, showing those CIG impressive bug hunting skills :rolleyes:

In fact, they've upped their game, and added the non-functional controls to the bugs! PROGRESS!

Last edited:
Ship rentals are in this patch as well. Looks like it will take an hour or two for most players to be able to afford renting a bigger ship.

Ship rentals are in this patch as well. Looks like it will take an hour or two for most players to be able to afford renting a bigger ship.

You mean real life one or two hours of work? Because that is how this game works. You work several hours in real life in order to buy (now: rent) yourself some virtual ship in the game to get an edge over the other idiots who did the same.

You mean real life one or two hours of work? Because that is how this game works. You work several hours in real life in order to buy (now: rent) yourself some virtual ship in the game to get an edge over the other idiots who did the same.

You could also bust out your credit card and have it in seconds.

[4K] Star Citizen: A Next-Gen Experience In The Making

Star Citizen has been in development for years, and it's still far from complete...But what Cloud Imperium has achieved is already quite phenomenal...This is one potential vision for next-gen gaming, and a PC exclusive to boot - here's our first look at a remarkable game...

Last edited:
[4K] Star Citizen: A Next-Gen Experience In The Making

Star Citizen has already been in development for years, and it's still far from complete...But what Cloud Imperium has achieved is already quite phenomenal...This is one potential vision for next-gen gaming, and a PC exclusive to boot - here's our first look at a remarkable game...

That was always the only selling point of the Star Citizen Persistent Universe from the very beginning. "OH, let's just fly to this thing, and go watch the stars." You can't do anything ELSE, but hey!

But now that they've started adding fairly basic features to this Tech Demo, they've actually been cutting back on the visual effects (to keep performance up).

several patches have downgraded graphics

I'm pretty sure a paid promotional piece like this will have nothing but the best angles for everything, but the actual game is not the Beauty Pageant Contestant it used to be. That won't change until they fix their poorly-scaling game engine (or they raise the system requirements even higher).

Last edited:
They are having a "Fly Free" event where for the next few days it's a free download. Of course, $200M+ gets you a slow-as-heck installer download (100MB, took several minutes), and I can't get it to install, it just errors after the 12+GB download. Might be cuz I'm using a non-default install location, gonna try one more time before I give up and pretend none of this happened.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/37-Free-Fly

I'm installed on a non-standard location, the only thing I could think of is launch the loader from the same drive you are going to install on?

I'm installed on a non-standard location, the only thing I could think of is launch the loader from the same drive you are going to install on?
I tried removing everything and letting it install with zero changes to anything. Error after download. If they can't get the installer right, I can't really be bothered. I moved on.

I tried removing everything and letting it install with zero changes to anything. Error after download. If they can't get the installer right, I can't really be bothered. I moved on.

It downloads at full connection speeds as long as you're connection doesnt suck - I've had it do 400mb/s when I was on a connection that fast. And it works fine on non-standard install directory, as I've had mine on three different drives at different times. If it's not working, I would lean toward it being an issue specific to your setup rather than an issue from the RSI launcher, which works perfectly fine for many thousands of other people.

It downloads at full connection speeds as long as you're connection doesnt suck - I've had it do 400mb/s when I was on a connection that fast. And it works fine on non-standard install directory, as I've had mine on three different drives at different times. If it's not working, I would lean toward it being an issue specific to your setup rather than an issue from the RSI launcher, which works perfectly fine for many thousands of other people.
I've seen this same thing mentioned on their reddit. There was no solid solution. My gaming rig is a plain ol' 4790K with an OS drive and data drive. GTX1080. It's as vanilla as a gaming rig gets. Also, nothing else I've installed has a problem. Like I said, I moved on.

Could also be a number of people downloading for the free fly. I got about 30 min with 3.7 but spent it working out the flight model changes lol. Havent had a chance to get back at it but will wait till after the free fly trolls pass.

Poorly optimized and visually felt like a 2010 game. Ambiance was...lacking.. But at least there is something to play around with if you are invested.
I'd like to see other studios give this type of game a shot.

Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2019.10.30 - 08.31.38.24.png

Carrack is looking good. Cant wait to explore with / it.

Need to check out the snub it comes with. Interesting mirror design almost to the Carrack.

Ship and player movement when looking at them from a distance in that video (post #17813 is janky as fuck, honestly the ships look like movement in Descent 2... i'm suprised they have not worked on the physics more in a 200mn budget because it looks horrible. Some of the planet design looks beautiful though.

Ship and player movement when looking at them from a distance in that video (post #17813 is janky as fuck, honestly the ships look like movement in Descent 2... i'm suprised they have not worked on the physics more in a 200mn budget because it looks horrible. Some of the planet design looks beautiful though.

It's closer to $300 million.

I can't find any information about SQ42 being talked about, with it being the primary focus of development I find that pretty odd.

I can't find any information about SQ42 being talked about, with it being the primary focus of development I find that pretty odd.

I don't think SQ42 was ever the primary focus, that was a lie during the Kickstarter campaign. We didn't even get any SQ42 info until years after the KS had ended.

SQ42 is being worked on but I'm of the opinion they didnt get serious about SQ42 until late last year so its going to be a while before we see that release. Just my own opinion of course.

I know they put out a monthly (I think) newsletter spelling out progress and whatnot, but I've not been paying attention.

SQ42 as a more "game" has less transparency about what is being worked on and the ultimate progress to keep more under the veil for whenever people can play it. The rest is all open universe so less to surprise people with.

Last time I saw it, it was jankier than the video I bitched about. Which for an FPS game based on an FPS engine, is fucking terrible.
But I heard they 'made their own engine' aka fiddled with crytek and changed it to something they can avoid losing the lawsuit about, so at this point we maybe are just seeing patches upon patches of patches applied and it's not going to get much better.
I hope SC comes out and delivers. But at the rate it's happening with 300mil!???? compared to say.. development of No Mans Sky with a much smaller budget, I don't know if they'll ever fix it.
They keep moving the targets constantly, it's hard to hit moving targets. Even when you are shooting 20-50 rounds a day.

Holy cow, $300M and almost 9 years. I'm not saying it's fraud, but probably like 99% of the industry has created better with less time and money. And before you start belittling me, look it up, the most a AAA title takes is around 7 years and that's rare. It's either a grotesque mismanagement of resources or something shady.

Holy cow, $300M and almost 9 years. I'm not saying it's fraud, but probably like 99% of the industry has created better with less time and money. And before you start belittling me, look it up, the most a AAA title takes is around 7 years and that's rare. It's either a grotesque mismanagement of resources or something shady.

yeah, at this point it's kept afloat entirely by easily fooled Whales.

OjrPg3K.png

What does this massive increase in Crowfunding come from? A new game mode launch? A new system ready for players? No,no, it's just the announcement of the yearly ship "sale" that isn't really, to distract from the otherwise complete emptiness that will encompass Citizencon 2019 :rolleyes:

Check out these comments from the obvious Salespost!

Because the idiots throwing money are "in it to win it," there's little sign of ending this Money Train. At this rate, they will be lucky to finish the second star system by 2025.

Unfortunately, it costs time and money to do all these press releases, special events, and videos to keep the money flowing from idiots, so of course the game's development is running at quarter-speed.

Last edited:
yeah, at this point it's kept afloat entirely by easily fooled Whales.

View attachment 203490

What does this massive increase in Crowfunding come from? A new game mode launch? No,no, it's just the announcement of the yearly ship "sale" That isn't really a sale.
And to kick-off the otherwise complete emptiness that will encompass Citizencon 2019 :rolleyes:

Check out thee comments from the obvious Salespost!

Because the idiots throwing money are "in it to win it," there's little sign of ending this Money Train. At this rate, they will be lucky to finish the second star system by 2025.

Unfortunately, it costs time and money to do all these press releases, special events, and videos to keep the money flowing from idiots, so of course the game's development is running at quarter-speed.
I mean form a business standpoint they are geniuses they should have allrady made so much money that no matter how bad/if it never comes out they should make a pretty penny.

However the fact that the game we can play now should have cost well under 100 mill in development should tell everyone it's a scam by this point. It is literally the most expensive video game development to this point..... I wouldn't be surprised if people wind up in jail after this is all said and done

Yesterday The "Kraken Privateer" small carrier was listed for $2000, it sold out immediately. Sure there were only a hundred or so available, but still...

Time wise this is what happens when there is no or poor project management and you for the most part reset and start over a couple times in the process.

They won't be in danger of jail time or criminal charges. They have been very careful from the beginning that all pledges were for the development of the game, and that items/game play/whatever can and will change in the development process. They so far, have not done anything legally criminal.

Are they in danger at some point have some civil liability issues? Maybe.

I will say, there are times in the tech demo, where you cans see what could be a great game.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I will say, there are times in the tech demo, where you cans see what could be a great game.

That's the sad part. As much as I enjoy the popcorn train wreck, this is a game I'd love to play when more complete.

Just like when NMS got nailed on launch, I loved it and was pretty happy. This game is similar to those already enjoying it.

Objectively looking at the con presentations, nothing new or noteworthy was shown. On top of that, what was shown were all things that other games have done and that CIG still can't actually implement, just talk about implementing.

From a marketing standpoint they have done a brilliant job. I'll give them that. I said it years ago if CR pulls this off he is the greatest game maker ever to walk the Earth. If not then he'll be the most evil gamer maker ever to walk the Earth.

Back