Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

If you have some actual criticism of the actual game, let's hear it and discuss it. I don't think anyone is going to argue against the game being buggy and nowhere near finished, though.

This post was pretty on-point.

https://hardforum.com/threads/star-...rts-new-game.1721792/page-441#post-1044176532

Summary, with proof:

There's nothing to explore
AI is broken.
Physics engine is broken.
Persistence is mostly broken.

Care to comment on any of the above?

All of these are essential for an MMORPG, last time I checked, so the people
"playing" must be enjoying the HIGHEST-ACCURACY NOT A GAME SIMULATION!

In addition, I've read that thee is no guide for new users, so it's like we're back in the glorious 1990s, especial since behaviors change form one pach to the next.

One user's experience landing, a s an example pf the convoluted operations masked by no walk-through":

Here's how you land in Star Citizen
* Fly your ship close to the landing pads. But not too close! In space, you can get right up on them. On the ground, an orange boundary pops up and you will explode if you cross it. This isn't explained.

* Make sure you don't have crimestat. If you do, turrets may shoot you. They may or may not do any damage.

* Try to find the landing service on one of your ship's many randomly positioned screens. Oops, it isn't showing up there, even though you have a list of other people you can "Comm"

* Pull up your wrist menu and navigate to global chat. The landing service shows up there. Click on it. You will get a little box indicating that it is talking to you, but you won't hear anything. This is your indication that a pad has been assigned to your ship.

* Look for a small wrench icon. This indicates which pad you are allowed to land on. Why a wrench? Who knows.

* Hit 'N' for landing gear. Why N? Who knows.

* Make sure your thrust is dialed way the fuck back or the slightest up/down key will send you rocketing into the pad and exploding.

* Come to a gentle featherlike touchdown

* There is now a 50/50 chance that your ship will clip the pad and explode, or that it will be stowed and you will be flagged as a criminal even though you did everything right.

Last edited:
We get it, you are not going to be happy unless it's perfect and given to you last year. I know the weekly updates in yo0ur email talking about what they are working on do not impress you, and I know you going to keep harping on this until we are all as mad as you are.

For me, since my fairly cheap 'not a potato' build isn't having much issue with this game, I'm goignto go back to having fun, breaking the game, reporting it, and watching the (slow) progress.

We get it, you are not going to be happy unless it's perfect and given to you last year. I know the weekly updates in yo0ur email talking about what they are working on do not impress you, and I know you going to keep harping on this until we are all as mad as you are.

For me, since my fairly cheap 'not a potato' build isn't having much issue with this game, I'm goignto go back to having fun, breaking the game, reporting it, and watching the (slow) progress.

I write software for my day job. The last thing I want to do when I get home is fix someone else's software., not when there is no game to play.

I also know from my personal; experience participating in all kinds of Software Development Teams that the progress from CIG is deplorable, which is why we all are sitting here in a forum complaining about lack of progress, instead of having in-depth arguments about actual GAME CONTENT THAT WAS ALREADY DESIGNED AND IMPLEMENTED.

I only post in this thread so that folks like you don't gloss over these important facts. Enjoy your Poor Software Management Simulator Alpha v3.5. I can't stomach developers so poor that they are still stuck on a public alpha with nothing in it after 6 years of full-time development - I would go crazy if I were on such a lazy team

Last edited:
There are two different "truths" being posted to this thread.

Loriien gives you the more positive take on what it's like to the a Star Citizen.

All I'm saying is this thread was created to post the pictures, news and media so Lorien's posts fit within the context thread. Crapping on him is pointless...
He has discussed with me some of the issues with certain releases and some bugs I have had so while yes his posts tend to focus in one area he has not engaged in arguments or anything dissuading folks from posting their opinions.

The hard "truth" is that everyone is right. The game in its current state has a plethora of issues we are all well versed in.
On the same token most of us here who bought in knew what we were getting into and the potential concerns. We manage to have some fun with what exists now.
While still a mess they have cleaned up a lot and have been making regular releases and content adds so that is a good thing. Yes those releases break things more typically but such is development.

I am skipping 3.5 entirely due to the bugs and issues. I don't have time for that right now. I'll try one of the next ones, 3.6 is not far away so some of the disconnect issues will hopefully be better addressed and I can jump back in.
I keep most of my concerns to the Spectrum forums for SC it has a chance to reach the devs and a few things have.

If negativity is constructive and not just reposting the same tired tropes people would discuss. Instead a number of folks just come to bait and try to make people unhappy about the game which is quite humorous as this is not the right thread lol.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go away. I've been here to play the game from the very beginning., and I will... when it's finally finished in 2035, and there actual content to argue over.

Considering how much of this supposedly non-existent content was added in the last 6 months, I wonder what it would take to make you even remotely happy? Adding several new planets, dozen rest stops, many moons, all with locations on them doesnt count as content? I must be mistaken, then. I thought all of those things existed, and were real. Well fuck.

Or the small things, like being able to pick up random shit in the rooms you spawn in at stations and bases. I guess thats not real either. Its not significant, but it adds to the depth of the game. Or maybe not in your eyes.

How much of those planets, moons, and rest stops have something to actually do on them other than sight see?

Last I checked, maybe 25% of the "game" is finished, and what is finished is likely to be buggy.

With over $250 million spent, how are you happy with what has been released vs what was promised years ago?

At some point you need to decide: Do you want to purchase a complete game, or watch someone try to shoot for something new. Those of us that are enjoying ourselves would love release 1.0 to hit tomorrow. We also know that it is extra very unlikly. I have gotten my (whatever I pledged) out of this game already, and I have generally enjoyed it. It may turn out to be a game that I don't like (to Arma / Sim boring), or it might not ever come out. That is kickstarter at the end of the day.

I do wish they would bring back bugsmashers...

How much of those planets, moons, and rest stops have something to actually do on them other than sight see?

Last I checked, maybe 25% of the "game" is finished, and what is finished is likely to be buggy.

With over $250 million spent, how are you happy with what has been released vs what was promised years ago?

Well I can do trading from almost every location that exists as a targetable spot on the new planets and moons and rest stops, so.... theres something to do on all of them other than just sight see. It may not be what YOU want to do, but its enough for me, as thats what I play the game for - trading and deliveries to the far-flung outposts of humanity.

At some point you need to decide: Do you want to purchase a complete game, or watch someone try to shoot for something new. Those of us that are enjoying ourselves would love release 1.0 to hit tomorrow. We also know that it is extra very unlikly. I have gotten my (whatever I pledged) out of this game already, and I have generally enjoyed it. It may turn out to be a game that I don't like (to Arma / Sim boring), or it might not ever come out. That is kickstarter at the end of the day.

I do wish they would bring back bugsmashers...

I won't back a game until it has the basics down. That means stable engines (physics, combat, controls for standard interactions with your ship and the world are smooth and well thought-out, the beginnings of an economy, and reliable persistence in an MMO). Bugs are acceptable, but they should be uncommon enough that you can play for at last half hour without crashing, or having your suspension of disbelief constantly broken.

And for a game like Star Citizen, where the whole point is exploring the galaxy, you're going to need at least a few star systems.,a half-dozen minimum. And you'll need about two to three times as many planets and stations as this system currently has.

I've backed an early release game before, but that was because their demo showed me that they had all the essentials down. Star Citizen has none of the above (maybe economy, but it's pretty thin), and is at least ten years away from that, by y estimates.

Considering how much of this supposedly non-existent content was added in the last 6 months, I wonder what it would take to make you even remotely happy? Adding several new planets, dozen rest stops, many moons, all with locations on them doesnt count as content? I must be mistaken, then. I thought all of those things existed, and were real. Well fuck.
It's as if you can't distinguish between useless fluff and important core game development.

Well I can do trading from almost every location that exists as a targetable spot on the new planets and moons and rest stops, so.... theres something to do on all of them other than just sight see. It may not be what YOU want to do, but its enough for me, as thats what I play the game for - trading and deliveries to the far-flung outposts of humanity.

I've probably pooped on this game as much as most in this thread, but I can understand this reasoning.

I play Elite Dangerous with the same purpose. The only difference between the two games is that one runs flawlessly, and the other is a broken tech demo right now.

It's 2019, not 2013. Anyone that doesn't see a problem here is in denial....

- I wanted this game as much as any of you but unless something crazy happens, the game will never be up to snuff.

(sucks for you guys that spent thousands on ships but we ALL saw that for what it was)

Check out that NPC Fidelity!

LateThisGoose-max-14mb.gif

Yes, that NPC is supposed to be drilling himself into the floor. It's the Screwdriver Maneuver, and you lucky ship buyers can make this yours for for just $900!

Wait, I just figured out why all of you are playing this bug fest: you all dream of opening up your very own Space Stock Exchange!

KQAWWFP.png

And here I thought this was a game about flying spaceships? how wrong I was!

And for the Coup de grâce, EVERY sales pitch ever made by Chris Roberts in one quick video!

Last edited:
I won't back a game until it has the basics down. That means stable engines (physics, combat, controls for standard interactions with your ship and the world are smooth and well thought-out, the beginnings of an economy, and reliable persistence in an MMO). Bugs are acceptable, but they should be uncommon enough that you can play for at last half hour without crashing, or having your suspension of disbelief constantly broken.

And for a game like Star Citizen, where the whole point is exploring the galaxy, you're going to need at least a few star systems.,a half-dozen minimum. And you'll need about two to three times as many planets and stations as this system currently has.

I've backed an early release game before, but that was because their demo showed me that they had all the essentials down. Star Citizen has none of the above (maybe economy, but it's pretty thin), and is at least ten years away from that, by y estimates.
i recommend you try no mans sky. amazing game

i recommend you try no mans sky. amazing game

I'm actually pretty bad at most space fligh t simulators, so I only feel like playing new ones once in awhile.

Once you take away the airflow over over wing surfaces, it's a lot harder for me to translate what I want to do into hurtling through vacuum.

My best space flight sim experiences were with completely unrealiatic games,like Privateer, Tie Fighter, and Freelancer (probably the most realistic flight mechanics of the three, but the FPS mode t made it easy to do engine kill without feeling lost).

I've been trying to figure out Elite: Dangerous Training Demo for the past week, with little success. I can maneuver around just fine in the target practice first test, but as soon as I have to keep track of a ship, I can't figure out how to maneuver quickly enough to keep the enemy shio off my tail and in my chrosshairs. I also lose the target completely ion all the asteroids, because highlights are so small.

I will never stop trying space flight sim games, but I know how high the leaning curve is for me.

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty bad at most space fligh t simulators, so I only feel like playing new ones once in awhile.

Once you take away the airflow over over wing surfaces, it's a lot harder for me to translate what I want to do into hurtling through vacuum.

My best space flight sim experiences were with completely unrealiatic games,like Privateer, Tie Fighter, and Freelancer (probably the most realistic flight mechanics of the three, but the FPS mode t made it easy to do engine kill without feeling lost).

I've been trying to figure out Elite: Dangerous Training Demo for the past week, with little success. I can maneuver around just fine in the target practice first test, but as soon as I have to keep track of a ship, I can't figure out how to maneuver quickly enough to keep the enemy shio off my tail and in my chrosshairs. I also lose the target completely ion all the asteroids, because highlights are so small.

I will never stop trying space flight sim games, but I know how high the leaning curve is for me.

Don't worry about it, No Man's Sky isn't a "sim" in any sense of the word. It's basically Freelancer-like flight with a mouse.

I recently saw this Reddit thread linked wherein a user provided a simple overview of Star Citizen as of alpha 3.5, mentioning the various game modes, content, and broad strokes of what is possible. Some may find it interesting -

3.5.1 went quickly from Evocati to PTU and now LIVE in the span of 2 weeks or so.

Detailed overview of the main feature, improved ship customization:

I heard over on Reddit that you should be careful customizing your ship colors- it's currently a oneshot deal. I'm sure it will get sorted, but if someone has an extra ugly 300. Point and laugh if possible!

Now where is my Cutlass Blue?

Edit: You are actually able to re-do your customization but that means you essentially melt the ship altogether.

I'm not customizing anything until there are more options (which I know are coming) since this is just the initial tier0 implementation of the feature as well as having it all be done with in-game credits without the need to pay actual cash for any of the premium options.

And there is an Origin themed free fly going on right now until June 13th (only for backers tho) with access to every single Origin ship

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Origin-Celebration-Free-Fly

85X

M50

All of the variants of the newly redesigned 300 series

ScreenShot2053.jpg

Both of the 600i variants

ScreenShot2051.jpg

ScreenShot2052.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: You are actually able to re-do your customization but that means you essentially melt the ship altogether.

Long as the site lets me load in my ship and play around with all of the available options and cancel out easily I may take a peak. Otherwise I'll wait for a good while. A paint job shouldn't require melting once they get it better implemented lol.

I had to return to this thread after a year or so because I had a multi-page argument before on here or another thread comparing Star Citizen and Cyberpunk... like, "Why does Cyberpunk get a pass for development time and Star Citizen doesn't" and now I am back now that we have a Cyberpunk release date to see what the state of Star Citizen is and sure enough it looks like it's the same fucking thing. No release date, broken, and still trying to suck money out of people. Really sad at this point.

Last edited:
I had to return to this thread after a year or so because I had a multi-page argument before on here or another thread comparing Star Citizen and Cyberpunk... like, "Why does Cyberpunk get a pass for development time and Star Citizen doesn't" and now I am back now that we have a Cyberpunk release date to see what the state of Star Citizen is and sure enough it looks like it's the same fucking thing. No release date, broken, and still drying to suck money out of people. Really sad at this point.
At this point, HL3 getting released is more probable than Starfield Cocaine.

ezgif-3-ae7111c0aaaf.gif

I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this golden boy of a critical bug!

An explanation, from an actual player (who doesn't consider bug hunting to be the "game" like some of the hardcore in this thread).

Well yeah duh everyone knows you don't land on the pads because they instantly despawn your ship, eliminating all the things inside. Also you don't land near the pads because the same thing will happen. So basically any delivery mission on a planet is an automatic fail unless you bring a second person with you to keep the ship running.

Don't you understand it's an alphaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa oh wait this bug has been present for over a year

Last edited:
S1WZN8Z.gif
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this golden boy of a critical bug!

An explanation, from an actual player (who doesn't consider bug hunting to be the "game" like some of the hardcore in this thread).

While that WOULD piss me off, it may be account related. I have never encountered that issue in over a year of playing and hundreds of landings on pads, and doing cargo runs is about all the game is good for (And that I do) IMO. Dont get me wrong, its clearly a critical (And unacceptable) bug, but its not prevalent to an extreme degree.

I had a multi-page argument before on here or another thread comparing Star Citizen and Cyberpunk... like, "Why does Cyberpunk get a pass for development time and Star Citizen doesn't" and now I am back now that we have a Cyberpunk release date to see what the state of Star Citizen is and sure enough it looks like it's the same fucking thing. No release date, broken, and still trying to suck money out of people. Really sad at this point.
And no Keanu Reeves

While that WOULD piss me off, it may be account related. I have never encountered that issue in over a year of playing and hundreds of landings on pads, and doing cargo runs is about all the game is good for (And that I do) IMO. Dont get me wrong, its clearly a critical (And unacceptable) bug, but its not prevalent to an extreme degree.

I've had it happen numerous times though it usually took a few minutes. Gave up on running major cargo as a result since it took too long to get out of and back into the larger ship so it despawned on me a few times while rushing back after buying cargo. Tried landing on the surface vs the pads and still lost the ship hah. Though ironically when I was off exploring the ship would stick around if I landed on the surface lol... jerks.

I suggested a few times on Spectrum and the IC that they just allow ship spawning on the surface if they are going to put it into storage as least temporarily and we can pretend they buried a silo storage facility like those fancy car parks lol.

Sucks not being able to talk about what's coming but since this is now public info I can say that in 3.6 we'll have ship dealer kiosks thru which we'll be able to both customize and buy ships (nearly every single ship in the game) with in game credits and that whichever custom loadout you pick for a ship persists with full insurance. So if you claim the ship you get it back with the same custom paintjob and loadout you chose.

At the moment we can buy ships but it is limited to a few stores in select locations (Levski, Arc Corp and Lorville) and the selection of ships is limited. And they only sell base loadouts with no custom paint jobs nor components/weapons. These new kiosks solve this by expanding the inventory and saving you from having to fly to those locations.

The one thing that we still need is FULL persistence across major content patches 'cause as things stand your progress gets wiped with every major quarterly release. Can't wait for that.

P.S: A nice group play QoL tidbit. Ship chat channels.
Say you are in a party and the group is divided among 2 ships. The game automatically knows which ship you are on and gives you the option to switch to that ship's chat channel.

Last edited:
I had to return to this thread after a year or so because I had a multi-page argument before on here or another thread comparing Star Citizen and Cyberpunk... like, "Why does Cyberpunk get a pass for development time and Star Citizen doesn't" and now I am back now that we have a Cyberpunk release date to see what the state of Star Citizen is and sure enough it looks like it's the same fucking thing. No release date, broken, and still trying to suck money out of people. Really sad at this point.

That was probably my thread. And I stand by the FACT that Star Citizen is FAR more complicated a game than Cyberpunk 2077. In 2077 you aren't TAKING OFF and LANDING on PLANETS. You aren't SEEMLESSLY entering ships and sitting in captains seats and flying your ship off a PLANET without loading screens.

But people can't get this through their thick skulls and then they all circle jerk with each other in this thread. Why don't you all just create a Discord and circle jerk each other off there?

That was probably my thread. And I stand by the FACT that Star Citizen is FAR more complicated a game than Cyberpunk 2077. In 2077 you aren't TAKING OFF and LANDING on PLANETS. You aren't SEEMLESSLY entering ships and sitting in captains seats and flying your ship off a PLANET without loading screens.

But people can't get this through their thick skulls and then they all circle jerk with each other in this thread. Why don't you all just create a Discord and circle jerk each other off there?

That wasn't your original point though, was it st4rk? Nobody is arguing the scale of Star Citizen (or at least what it plans to be), but your point VERY SPECIFICALLY was "Why does Cyberpunk get a pass for development time when Star Citizen does not?" And I stand by the fact that Star Citizen is nowhere near having an actual release date or timeframe. I still want to play Star Citizen, but I want to play a complete game and i'm not going to pay money to be in what is essentially an "Early Access" title especially after the monumental amount of missed deadlines and broken promises.

New Rest stops.

For 3.6 the interiors were transplanted from the older rest stops and do not match the actual (larger) interior volume of the new stations. They will have those done for 3.7

ScreenShot1442.jpg

ScreenShot1443.jpg

To get an idea of scale, those hangars can easily fit the largest flyable ships (Starfarer/Hammerhead, etc)
ScreenShot1446.jpg

No offense, but speaking as a Software Engineer, that's 99% art assets. You can make all that in about a week of effort, if that.

As I've long noted, this highlights exactly why Chris Roberts can't be trusted with budgetary decisions. We've known this since Wing Commander 3; he focuses so much on the excesses and presentation that the actual *GAME* suffers as a result. This is exactly Chris Roberts MO, and why people like me stayed away from this.

No offense, but speaking as a Software Engineer, that's 99% art assets. You can make all that in about a week of effort, if that.

As I've long noted, this highlights exactly why Chris Roberts can't be trusted with budgetary decisions. We've known this since Wing Commander 3; he focuses so much on the excesses and presentation that the actual *GAME* suffers as a result. This is exactly Chris Roberts MO, and why people like me stayed away from this.

Right, after reading up on investigations by original kickstarter fans who got curious, that demo video used in the Kickstarter pitch demo video was likely created by Crytek for free, and in-exchange Chris agreed to use Cryengine for his game., and provide any engine updates to Crytek. That would explain why it took a four years after Kickstarter to get anything resembling an Alpha Persistent Universe.

It must be pretty cheap to do art and use it as a promotional piece, as Crytek is still doing it to keep their dying company alive and "relevant."

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/287942-crytek-demo-showcases-real-time-raytracing-on-amd-vega-56

My favorite paragraph from the article:

Is this video proof that you don’t need RTX hardware to deliver good game performance? No, because it isn’t a game at all. It’s an engine demo. It’s much easier to deliver gorgeous graphics when the only thing the engine is doing is running graphics code. Delivering good real-time performance in a game requires managing physics, network code, player inputs, audio, and AI, to name a few additional categories. Detail settings and target resolution will have a significant impact on GPU performance in ray traced games, just as they always have in rasterized titles.

The demo video is the easy part. But you'd be surprised how many people assumed he can do this all in-game! What a joke :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Auer
like this
Back