Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Hope my WebCam will finally be recognized in 3.5 for FOIP and face tracking for stuff like that. Music is awesome there.

Hope my WebCam will finally be recognized in 3.5 for FOIP and face tracking for stuff like that. Music is awesome there.

What cam do you have that is giving you problems? I don't have a webcam at current (though I've been wondering if they're still going to go through with the original plan of a "branded" FOIP/facetracking high end cam. Then again, I wonder if they scrapped that at least until 'proper' launch. Perhaps a similar thing happened with the plans for branded flight-sticks - though that wasn't CIG's decision exactly, as their partner got bought out and the contract to make something new, voided. ) but have been thinking of picking one up especially if eye/head tracking / FOIP can work with an off the shelf mid-grade-or-better cam.

Unless I'm missing something, to my understanding the "best" webcams are the Logitech models capable of doing 720p60 or better (ie 920, 922, 925, 930, BRIO ? ) and that Razer webcam?

Telemetry page got some improvements. You can now sort by game settings (Low to Ultra High) as well as resolution

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry

telemetry.png

About FOIP cameras, the C922 has had a number of issues from not being recognized to conflicting with other connected devices. Rance is correct tho, the higher the framerate the cam can capture the better, the minimum is 720p 30fps

Even HardOCP died before Star Citizen came out. Who could have thought it possible a couple of years ago...

lol, yeah, I didn't realize this hive of scum and villainy existed on HardOCP, until one of the fan boys here complained about the Necrothread on the tech news page. next stretch goal? the heat death of the universe, and Beta!

What cam do you have that is giving you problems? I don't have a webcam at current (though I've been wondering if they're still going to go through with the original plan of a "branded" FOIP/facetracking high end cam. but have been thinking of picking one up especially if eye/head tracking / FOIP can work with an off the shelf mid-grade-or-better cam.

Unless I'm missing something, to my understanding the "best" webcams are the Logitech models capable of doing 720p60 or better (ie 920, 922, 925, 930, BRIO ? ) and that Razer webcam?

I had originally been trying with a crappy Microsoft cam that was decent for work conf calls. But switched to the C922x when it failed to work. This one does the same thing though where when loading the test setup to configure it its a blank screen registering 1fps which then drags my system down the toilet lagging out almost non stop until killing the config tool and reloading SC as it will keep chugging. Seen a few folks with issues on the same camera and others with it working perfectly. /shrug. Maybe when I switch to Windows 10 at some point it will play nice but I'm in no rush for that.

I remember that bug, it was fixed about 2 years ago lol.

New Terada video showcasing the new flight model and using the game's built in face over IP head tracking.

3.5 introduced a new mission giver, Tecia 'Twitch' Pacheco, in Arc Corp. She offers a new type of mission which actually gives you a ship to do it with (Cutlass Black) and you can actually choose not to complete the mission and keep the ship for the rest of your current game session.

Here's someone completing the mission but doing that disabled his ability to pilot it after he completed the objective.

When I tried, my attempts never came out as good as these.

Frankie Adams and Thomas Jane using the new character customizer

gtVAfzh.jpg vRjOoJM.jpg

Also, hope you don't mind your tranquil view of a moon disrupted...by more buggy physics engine :D

https://i.imgur.com/2VRV3Nt.mp4

It's hard to believe how things just have a history of colliding with nonexistent items, and then exploding. Maybe they can make the auto-exploding vehicle a part of the official moon tour?

The 3.5 patch is kind of a significant in my opinion and surprised its not being talked about more. Finally the game is somewhat smooth and not a constant lag fest. Finally able to enjoy the game in its current form and while there are still frame rate drops, its not all the time. Able to take off, fly around, etc and not be riddled with performance issues that make it choppy, etc. This alone makes 3.5 worth it.

That smoothness came thanks to Object Container Streaming released with 3.3 in early November of last year.

It's really hard to make a point out of it tho since one has to actually experiencing it to notice the difference. The best thing about it tho is that for now we just have client side OCS. Servers are due to get OCS as well which will make things even smoother and allow them to expand both playable area as well as concurrent player numbers.

Here's the list of all the new tech that was added/required for OCS

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen/card/306-Object-Container-Streaming

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...bject-Container-Streaming-Background-Spawning

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...er-Streaming-Asynchronous-Background-Spawning

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...18-Object-Container-Streaming-Code-Conversion

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen/card/328-Network-Entity-Streaming

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen/card/331-Network-Bind-Culling

Many of the above things also served as prep work to make the game inherently multithreaded (async background streaming, moving away from LUA, etc) so that they can finally transtition the engine from DX11 (currently) to Vulkan. Once Vulkan is implemented support for DX11 will be dropped. CR announced a couple weeks ago that work on Vulkan had already started so that's one more thing to look forward to in the future.

Last edited:
The 3.5 patch is kind of a significant in my opinion and surprised its not being talked about more. Finally the game is somewhat smooth and not a constant lag fest. Finally able to enjoy the game in its current form and while there are still frame rate drops, its not all the time. Able to take off, fly around, etc and not be riddled with performance issues that make it choppy, etc. This alone makes 3.5 worth it.

It's only smoother feeling until you actually try to get into combat with other players.

Just see this recent FPS combat recording, where you can't even throw grenades accurately (because they either don't get thrown at all, or they teleport), the players are consonantly glitching as they both move, and it takes forever to one to actually kill the other, because there is such poor hit detection.

It's so bad, it takes the player till well past seven minutes ti make the kill.

I'd consider making a big deal out of "improved smoothness" to be paving over the obvious faults that still exist in the game. Unless all you do is sit around alone on your asteroid, not interacting with anything?

OH WOW, LOOK AT ALL THAT THERE SMOOTHNESS!

I guess you don't have very high standards for what makes a game "playable," do you? I suppose some whales have to come up with some level of deranged reasoning to keep paying $900 for a spaceship :rolleyes:

They're not fixing the core problems in the game engine with any speed, just paving over them and hoping folks like you don;'t notice. They've been doing that for years, while they have continued adding new features to keep folks distracted. Hey, look, over there!

To put this in perspective: it's been 10 months since they released 3.0, and in that time they added a major planet, and fixed ONE out of maybe a dozen major engine design issues (e.g. space AI makes poor decisions, ground based AI makes poor decisions, No Missiles working, and poor multiship support, just to name a few more major design issues, on top of the ones I already highlighted). That puts them on-pace to finish sometime in 2027., with 12 planets and all major engine design bugs resolved. You think anyone besides the True Believers will still be paying through to that day? That's assuming funding doesn't dry-up in those next eight years, and assuming a major update doesn't break something critically, and force them to revert till they fix (adds months of delay, and loses players).

Last edited:
It's only smoother feeling until you actually try to get into combat with other players.

Just see this recent FPS combat recording, where you can't even throw grenades accurately (because they either don't get thrown at all, or they teleport), the players are consonantly glitching as they both move, and it takes forever to one to actually kill the other, because there is such poor hit detection.

It's so bad, it takes the player till well past seven minutes ti make the kill.

I'd consider making a big deal out of "improved smoothness" to be paving over the obvious faults that still exist in the game. Unless all you do is sit around alone on your asteroid, not interacting with anything?

OH WOW, LOOK AT ALL THAT THERE SMOOTHNESS!

I guess you don't have very high standards for what makes a game "playable," do you? I suppose some whales have to come up with some level of deranged reasoning to keep paying $900 for a spaceship :rolleyes:

They're not fixing the core problems in the game engine with any speed, just paving over them and hoping folks like you don;'t notice. They've been doing that for years, while they have continued adding new features to keep folks distracted. Hey, look, over there!

To put this in perspective: it's been 10 months since they released 3.0, and in that time they added a major planet, and fixed ONE out of maybe a dozen major engine design issues (e.g. space AI makes poor decisions, ground based AI makes poor decisions, No Missiles working, and poor multiship support, just to name a few more major design issues, on top of the ones I already highlighted). That puts them on-pace to finish sometime in 2027., with 12 planets and all major engine design bugs resolved. You think anyone besides the True Believers will still be paying through to that day? That's assuming funding doesn't dry-up in those next eight years, and assuming a major update doesn't break something critically, and force them to revert till they fix (adds months of delay, and loses players).

Dont worry.

No Mans sky will be the game Star citizen was meant to be in 2 years time at there rate

For 3.5 availability and prices for both infantry and ships weapons are now connected to the game's internal economy.

For example, a ship weapon that is manufactured at Hurston/Lorville will be cheapest there (duh) but if it is sold anywhere else in the system the price will increase taking into account the distance/cost of transporting the weapon to that location.
Someone did the work and collected all this info finding out where they are available and the cheapest place where to get them.

P.S: The new Singe tachyon cannons are pretty op. The projectile is so fast it completely eliminates the need to lead a target 'cause it hits nearly instantaneously.

Last edited:
Not that you need to lead or aim anymore, with auto gimbals. Finally gimbals are useful for HOTAS players. It ended up working similar to elite:dangerous gimbals - autoaim when you are 'close enough'.

My Arrow feels great with the new flight model. One thing I haven't really nailed down yet is the best way to handle max speed on HOTAS. Right now I have a button to toggle it on or off entirely - so you go from 200m/s to 'WHOAAA' speed and can black out when combined with afterburner. Fun but not always practical.

I'm so, so far behind, I haven't even logged in for 1-2 years, is there a tutorial for what I've missed ?(everything!!) lol

I was bored this past weekend and picked up a starter pack for me and my son. I have to say bugs aside. I like what I see.
We crammed into his aurora and I flew us to a station we had a mission at... killed 7 dudes and got some credits. If they can finish it... It will probably be the ultimate game for me.

My ryzen 1700 was dipping into the 40fps range in places and my son was running out of ram (8gb) on his 4570k.
I am ocd about shit not running well. I think it came from my abusive child hood where I was forced to use the internet on a 33mhz macintosh with 5mb of ram.
Specifically a Performa 550.

Needless to say. I we went to microcenter after playing a few hours and I now have a 9900k @ 5.1ghz with 32gigs of ram a new H150i cooler and a comos 700p case and he has my ryzen.
Pretty much getting 60-100 fps in 3440x1440 on my 1080ti now.

I'm not really playing it too much atm until it finally is nearer to finishing. (Which if you go by it's current development, will be 20 years from now and available in a Holodeck :wideyed:)
As i've posted before, i do like the direction it's taking, but will take a wait and see attitude.

Honestly, I have been following this thread since the beginning. Is this going to happen? My co-worker built a system 3 years ago waiting for this to go 1.0 and has spent a large sum of money to support this game. 7 years? Is there a code freeze date for 1.0?

Honestly, I have been following this thread since the beginning. Is this going to happen? My co-worker built a system 3 years ago waiting for this to go 1.0 and has spent a large sum of money to support this game. 7 years? Is there a code freeze date for 1.0?

Not anytime soon.. There's still only one star system to explore, and it's only got a few mostly empty planets. The AI still does all sorts of stupid shit, the physics engine still does all sorts of stupid shit, the FPS battle system still does all sorts if stupid shit and it will be 5-10 more years before they fix these endless list of engine issues. Not to mention, actually making more star systems to explore.

Check out that awesome AI...stuck in a seat. And standing on a coffee table, staring at another AI. Looks pretty realistic to me. The shipboard AI is just as broken.

o1urmcjb7st21.png

Even though you can explore other planets now, ship persistence when you log off is complete crap, so you respawn at the same place you did the last time you logged on. That's kinda the whole point of Star Citizen being an MMO, last time I checked. But the True Believers will point to "It's an alpha," because they're used to waiting a year for something simple like that to be fixed, and will just pave over it.

The new concentrated marketing campaigns (Newsweek Paid Articles, paid Twitch Streamers) means they will never run out of money, but they will run out of anyone in the mainstream press still caring.

This video clip of two ships getting it on spontaneously is all you need to know about where the game physics engine is currently. It's been that bad for several years,with very slow progress fixing it:

Attachments

• 3n3TyyR.mp4
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jump Point 07.04

old.reddit.com/r/RSIsubscriber/comments/bht5w6/jump_point_0704_taking_flight_april19/

jp0704.png

Not anytime soon.. There's still only one star system to explore, and it's only got a few mostly empty planets. The AI still does all sorts of stupid shit, the physics engine still does all sorts of stupid shit, the FPS battle system still does all sorts if stupid shit and it will be 5-10 more years before they fix these endless list of engine issues. Not to mention, actually making more star systems to explore.

Check out that awesome AI...stuck in a seat. And standing on a coffee table, staring at another AI. Looks pretty realistic to me. The shipboard AI is just as broken.

View attachment 157418

Even though you can explore other planets now, ship persistence when you log off is complete crap, so you respawn at the same place you did the last time you logged on. That's kinda the whole point of Star Citizen being an MMO, last time I checked. But the True Believers will point to "It's an alpha," because they're used to waiting a year for something simple like that to be fixed, and will just pave over it.

This video clip of two ships getting it on spontaneously is all you need to know about where the game physics engine is currently. IT's been that bad for several years,with very slow progress fixing it.
Lol this game is never going to hit 1.0 or by the time it does it will be so far out of date it's sad.

Nice! I love my penguin, but will look forward to trying the Arrow and Dragonfly... Is mining fun / profitable?

If you simply mine everything that's near you, you will not make a decent profit per time spent. Once you learn which moons and where in those moons the good deposits are tho, you can easily make 100k+ per hour.

If you are mining around Arc Corp, I recommend the moon Wala around the Equator. It has Agricium in decent quantities.
If you are mining around Hurston, I recommend going to Arial around its North Pole. It has decent amounts of Bexalite which is far and away the most valuable ore you can mine at the moment (nearly worth twice as much as agricium per volume).

The key is to be pretty discriminate on what you mine. I scan a rock and if it doesn't have the ore I know is most profitable I simply move past it.

Initially that may be frustrating specially if you crave that instant gratification but once you find a good deposit it more than makes up for it.

The Arrow is a lot of fun specially in atmosphere. Take it to Daymar and ride those crosswinds.

Last edited:
I may try out the arrow. Trying to hold out for more server side OCS. Had too many issues in the last few releases with my hardware for some reason.

The prospector is great. If they do the filtration system reasonably I'll be very happy with it. As it is now you really can make a fortune but it can take you a while to weed out crappy stuff till you find good areas (if you look for them on your own). The hunt can be fun and enjoyable in and of itself. Be very picky with what you haul in. Only take the good stuff (high %'s) from the pieces you fracture and leave the rest behind since you have very little room for storage.

As Lorien said when you find a few good deposits its fun and if you enjoy sight seeing I have yet to enjoy the view better from any other cockpit.

Last edited:
I can tell it's a free fly since there's a ton of mining questions in chat, that system is confusing as fuck. Once you figure it out it's pretty neat. But that's true for the whole game.

Today was the cutoff time for $0 CCUs before they get deleted, so I was in a panic last night trying to figure out which ships I wanted to keep. Things keep changing so much it was nice to keep options open. Even now with the gimbal assist change, that's a huge feature that flipped around what ships I want to fly. I use HOTAS so fixed was the only way to fly; now fixed is old news and gimbals are in style.

I ended up doing some swaps like melting an arrow to buyback a reliant for 50 (I had the original price locked in), to $0 CCU to a reliant Tana. Ends back at $75 value but basically it freed up $25 credit. I flew the Tana around last night expecting it to be crap, but it was not bad. With gimbals it has 2xS3 and 2xS1 guns, seems pretty sturdy in swarm mode and it has exactly 1 unit of space in the back so you can do basic pickup/delivery missions. Oddly it seemed easier to control in dogfights with the landing gear down (horiztonal mode) and accelerated faster in vertical mode, but drifted way too much and overheated engines a lot in vertical. Landing gear up or down had no impact on top speed which was nice, just the acceleration. It's weird and pretty rare, but works, so for now I might keep it.

Using the credit from the Arrow to Tana swap, I bumped a Vulture up to a SH. It was nice having a Prospector and Bucc as loaners for the Vulture, but had to use these valuable CCUs. That involved a taurus to khartu-al $0 CCU (+$20 ship value), a sabre CCU and a MIS to SH CCU (+$5). Along the way I tried out the sabre, MIS and SH with near-identical loadouts. I definitely ended up with the right ship. MIS was way too slow to enjoy even with gimbals. The sabre even felt a bit weak with just 4xS2 guns gimballed; thats similar to the damn Tana loadout. The SH is a beast as usual with a ton of gimbals.

I hadn't launched the game in a while.
Opened the launcher today and it updated itself to 1.1.1 but that's it.
Are we supposed to do something to get it to update to 3.5? I seem to be stuck on 3.4.1.

I've tried logging out and in. The game doesn't launch with this launcher if that makes any sense.

Well...
I told it to verify the files after it locked up my computer and now it's updating...

So, ultimately I had to go into appdata/roaming and delete any reference to RSI and now it's fixed.
Just in case anyone else has the same deal.

Last edited:
Still a bug ridden hot mess.

You have to have an extremely large amount of patience to play this right now. 3.5 is in bad shape....

Back