Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

its not public
It is out for waves 3 and 4 which are a few hundred thousand people. Also do not wait for the email to be sent to you, instead go check your account settings page on the website and if you see the yellow "Public Test Universe" link, then you are in.

Some PTU action:

ScreenShot0105.jpg
The saddest tree. Some portions of the planet are just filled with garbage.

ScreenShot0110.jpg
Air quality is so bad you have bag-heads like this guy.

ScreenShot0107.jpgScreenShot0121.jpg
Day vs night in the city.

ScreenShot0106.jpg
The apartment you spawn in now.

ScreenShot0096.jpg ScreenShot0097.jpg ScreenShot0099.jpgScreenShot0098.jpg
Coming back in for a landing.

ScreenShot0147.jpg ScreenShot0150.jpg
The transition between two environments.

ScreenShot0146.jpg ScreenShot0137.jpg ScreenShot0136.jpg
A forest environment.

Last edited:
CCU'd my Terrapin to a Valkyrie. Everything about the Valk is right. Loving it!

vTUgzdr.jpg

4wZtwsV.jpg

Friend and I on Daymar looking for the crashed Javelin, felt like a search and rescue mission. Was night time when we finally located the ship.

yYca4nj.jpg

Lorville performance is much better in this latest patch. Feels like they are dialing in things preparing for the Free Fly event cause one patch had a ton of NPCs standing around so many that the city was all backed up and congested. Today there are still a decent number of them and they are roaming again and performance is holding up

Use the gun turret of the Cyclone TR to lever yourself upright if it gets stuck sideways.

I need to get a ship big enough to carry a land vehicle, and a land vehicle now. Seems to be a purpose for it finally. I dont think theres any land vehicles small enough to fit in the cargo bay of my Titan... I would be extremely surprised anyway - its not a very big bay/ship.

Yeah- I was hoping you could stuff a 'hover bike' in there, but a dragonfly is way to big. Hopefully later there will be something smaller for planetside exploration.

Damn, I had a second prospecting video due to go up in the morning finishing with a mention of 3.3.5 in the PTU hah.

Updated and it kept crashing with issues on the data4 file that verifying didnt fix so I wiped the file and am waiting for a re-download. Wont get to play tonight.
If I didnt clear the error I was able to load and was trying to see if my new c922 camera would work in FOIP and sadly nope. Still just a blank black screen as it wont activate the camera. Oh well, hope they get that fixed soon. I care more for the head tracking in m ship. Then I'll go back in to triple screen mode and have a blast O_O

Surprised they punted it out to PU so fast, seemed like a fair amount of bugs and issues getting talked about in Spectrum. I get the rush for the holiday but I would rather wait and have stability.

Damn this game is starting to play very nice. IMO I can see me playing 5-10 years if they keep adding content.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Damn that's a big ass ship jammed in that hangar! Thanks for posting snippets and updates and pictures people, appreciated!

How does this play on V64/V56?

Runs really well. I play at 1440P, Ryzen 1800X@4Ghz + Vega64 LC. In the worst performing places like cities with tons of NPCs you'll be CPU bottlenecked and it can drop into the mid 30s but flying in space and moons or in space stations it reaches 100fps+ of course depending on how many other ships are around you.

The Free Fly week will be an in game event by the way. These banners and a new entrance just showed up at the SpacePort in Lorville.

ScreenShot1893.jpg

ScreenShot1894.jpg

This game is expanding rapidly right now, and has added massive amounts of new stuff in the past few months.

Hurston is the first full planet, and Lorville the first City. I imagine things will speed up with the experience they learned from them both.

I couldnt get 3.3.5 PTU to run as I only had room for it on a slow mechanical hard drive, and the game lagged too much to be playable.

My first sight was the other day once it was released, and I was *blown away*. Coming in on Hurston and then Lorville, was amazing. The spaceport laid out like a real, functional spaceport. The beautiful design. The signage. The train to downtown proper, the view of the city as the train travels at massive speed around the track. The shit in the air from a polluted, industrialized planet - people wearing bags on their heads. The mining and other heavy work debris spread around the surface as clear signs of the heavy work and terraforming thats been done.

Free Fly event mini guide:

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012238394

For this Free Fly event, we have created a special Convention Center where players can get a first-hand look at the ships offered for the day. Additionally, this is also where you can rent them for a test-flight.

To access the Convention Center, get yourself to Hurston, land (legally) in Lorville, and head towards the elevator to hangars 1 and 2. The Convention Center entrance, pictured above, will be directly across from the elevator.

To help everyone get to Hurston, all players will be granted access to a Cutlass Black to fly for the duration of the event.

To rent a ship from the show floor, walk up to it, open the Interaction menu as if you were going to buy it, and then select RENT.

Nice, I had considered a Cutlass red for medical missions but held off since theres not a lot out there about it yet. And whenever it arrives my Carrak should have a medical facility and may be able to function in a similar role, though not quite as nimbly but hopefully better defended.

Some PTU action:

View attachment 121074
The saddest tree. Some portions of the planet are just filled with garbage.

View attachment 121075
Air quality is so bad you have bag-heads like this guy.

View attachment 121076View attachment 121121
Day vs night in the city.

View attachment 121077
The apartment you spawn in now.

View attachment 121078 View attachment 121079 View attachment 121080View attachment 121082
Coming back in for a landing.

View attachment 121119 View attachment 121120
The transition between two environments.

View attachment 121123 View attachment 121124 View attachment 121125
A forest environment.

Call me crazy, but that looks like an actual game! (y)

Sooo do you have to pay real money to rent it?

No. The free fly event is exactly what its titled. You also dont have to pay real money for anything other than a starter ship and game package to get into the game (Just like you do when you buy any non-F2P game) - you can buy and rent (During the non-free fly time) all ships with ingame currency now. Just keep in mind since its in Alpha, theres wipes, so progress made with ingame currency isnt saved until they decide to change that policy - so you are only buying and owning permanently whatever you spend real money on - everything else is basically a long term rental until the next patch wipes all aUEC currency transactions and resets your ship ownership to whatever you own with real currency. Also resets your wallet and whatever to your starting balance (Or whatever your balance is if you've purchased additional real UEC (Not aUEC which is valueless and cant be purchased) for the final game - I start each patch with 15k aUEC - 5k from my game package, and 10k of real UEC I purchased).

No. The free fly event is exactly what its titled. You also dont have to pay real money for anything other than a starter ship and game package to get into the game (Just like you do when you buy any non-F2P game) - you can buy and rent (During the non-free fly time) all ships with ingame currency now. Just keep in mind since its in Alpha, theres wipes, so progress made with ingame currency isnt saved until they decide to change that policy - so you are only buying and owning permanently whatever you spend real money on - everything else is basically a long term rental until the next patch wipes all aUEC currency transactions and resets your ship ownership to whatever you own with real currency. Also resets your wallet and whatever to your starting balance (Or whatever your balance is if you've purchased additional real UEC (Not aUEC which is valueless and cant be purchased) for the final game - I start each patch with 15k aUEC - 5k from my game package, and 10k of real UEC I purchased).

Makes sense, so when I try this I can fly, land walk into a show room, and hopefully have enough starter cash to rent a ship to fly it and compare to the first one it gives, see what this is all about first hand.

LOL I tried to pre-download yesterday ,I could not and would have to pay .So today I been trying for hours and the RSI site is down.Well maybe I will try tomorrow.
I am hoping for more than 20FPs on a single GTX 1080Ti this time round.The game has ran like crap every time I tried it.

Yeah, something hammered the servers. I am hearing that nobody can get in right now but I figure they know, and hopefully it will be back up shortly.

Makes sense, so when I try this I can fly, land walk into a show room, and hopefully have enough starter cash to rent a ship to fly it and compare to the first one it gives, see what this is all about first hand.
A quick reminder and to prevent any confusion. The cost of renting ANY of the ships available during the Free Fly event is $0, even the brand ships being revealed as flight ready.

You simply walk up to the ships on the showroom displays and hold F then select "Rent" that will add it to your list of available ships in your fleet manager. You can then go back up the elevator and walk over to the terminals to spawn the ship(s) you've rented.

ScreenShot1907.jpg

The Arrow is pretty neat, very fast as sold. They are free to rent so I equipped one with triple Mantis (size 3) guns and took it for a spin.

On the way out of Port Olisar, someone in a Mustang started shooting out my rear shields. These things don't have a lot of HP, but I turned around and...well, I dont think anyone expects triple Mantis on this thing. He popped, I limped off with a wing torn to shreds and a crime rating. Off to grimhex for repairs.

I took it around for a few patrol and ECM missions (defend a starfarer against a connie and a wave of fighters). The arrow popped once against the connie, don't even know what it hit me with. But it took out the connie the next few missions. It was fun but would I keep this over a Buccaneer? Probably not.

ScreenShot0051.jpg ScreenShot0058.jpg ScreenShot0064.jpg ScreenShot0065.jpg ScreenShot0066.jpg

keep this over a Buccaneer? Probably not.
The Buccaneer is in the same "weight" class as the Sabres and Hornets, one whole tier above the Arrow. The more direct competition to it is the Gladius/325a/Avenger, the entry level fighters and among those it more than holds its own.

LOL I tried to pre-download yesterday ,I could not and would have to pay .So today I been trying for hours and the RSI site is down.Well maybe I will try tomorrow.
I am hoping for more than 20FPs on a single GTX 1080Ti this time round.The game has ran like crap every time I tried it.

We're long past that, 50-90FPS depending on area, players and server load

We're long past that, 50-90FPS depending on area, players and server load

What do you mean were long past that,I did not know developers of the game visit sites like these,anyhow tried the game and defiantly not for me.Shame I love the cryengine stuff.

I'm really impressed that the alpha is running so well. I just grabbed a cheap gaming laptop for a business trip I'm taking over then next month. It's got a i5-8300H , 16GB of 2600 ddr4 and a 3Gb gtx 1050 ti. I got it to atleast play some xcom or civ to kill time. However It seems to keep a constant 30fps (I limited it for thermals) and is usually around 45fps with jumps to 60 in Star Citizen. I'll have to play around with it some more when I get to the hotel tomorrow, hopefully there isn't a mega patch before I get back to decent internet in a month lol.

Some Idris screenshots. Simply massive....

Attachments

• Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.12.10.20.png
    Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.12.10.20.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.14.00.39.png
    Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.14.00.39.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.15.10.66.png
    Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.15.10.66.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.15.41.40.png
    Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.15.41.40.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.17.31.68.png
    Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Screenshot 2018.11.26 - 19.17.31.68.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Here's some more.

Seeing it in game convinces me more that grabbing a Polaris to train with a crew before moving on to this beast was a good idea.

ScreenShot1963.jpg ScreenShot1967.jpg ScreenShot1968.jpg ScreenShot1969.jpg ScreenShot1970.jpg ScreenShot1971.jpg ScreenShot1973.jpg ScreenShot1975.jpg ScreenShot1976.jpg ScreenShot1977.jpg ScreenShot1985.jpg ScreenShot1982.jpg

Last edited:
Back