Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Path of Exile turned to shit just in time. Evocati release incoming very soon, I'll be going dark until it goes public.

Meanwhile

And the full ship shape episode

So, I know it's quiet because CitizenCon is about to happen, but I heard that OCS is supposed to be coming soon(tm), probably before 3.3.5 and possibly on 10 October. I understand that the framerate pickup is dramatic in many areas.

Yep, If I understand it correctly client side OCS will be in the first release of 3.3.0 so no waiting for 3.3.5. So on the 10th I believe it goes to open PTU, and shortly after to live.

Hopefully citizencon has some good reveals. Im going to go out on a limb and say that the FOIP camera is going on sale as well as some Drake concept ship. I ended up cancelling my ticket for citizencon, heading over to Euorpe for a trip in a week so time didn't work out well.

If it is coming in 3.3 again I hope its ready and not rushed out the door. Something of that importance needs to be done properly.

Rushing out anything shouldn't be a problem with CIG. Besides, it would be easy to fix in the next complete rework of everything done, as usual.

If it is coming in 3.3 again I hope its ready and not rushed out the door. Something of that importance needs to be done properly.
They need to start rushing everything so we can play a dam game and not a tech demo with pretty ships to buy.

They need to start rushing everything so we can play a dam game and not a tech demo with pretty ships to buy.

I imagine they are going as fast as they can. If they rush too fast then there is a greater chance of mistakes. Its just a shame they weren't at this point two or so years ago but it is what it is.

Citizencon starts tomorrow at 1PM US Central time.

It will be a full day starting with the keynote (with the usual forward looking demo of what's coming to the game) plus more than a dozen dev panels (~8 hours) on 2 stages.

The official stream will not be on twitch this time, the link to access it is from its official page at:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon/livestream

You will need an account (free) to login to access it.

If you don't care to create an account you can also watch the live mirrors/rebroadcasts by streamers from the community on twitch (I can't confirm this 100% tho).

Best of all 3.3.0 goes to a wide PTU release for every backer at the end of the day's events. Things included will be the Hammerhead capital ship (been biting my tongue about it lol), Object Container Streaming (which considerably increases performance), the brand new redesigned Mustang (plus all its 5 variants), all the Cyclone variants ( :D ), scramble races, FPS AI, plus much much more.

Yeah, like in years past they will upload everything to youtube after it happens so people who can't watch it live have access to it.

Kraken, capital ship from Drake. Concept only

Anvil Valkyrie drop ship, going LIVE with 3.3

Kraken, capital ship from Drake. Concept only

&

Anvil Valkyrie drop ship, going LIVE with 3.3

The Kraken is a cool idea for a "cheap" carrier or cruiser. I wonder how much protection the shields will offer the ships on the deck. Hopefully a "reasonable" amount to keep it balanced vs the others where the ships are inside and fully protected.

The Valkyrie is neat but that front turret looks like a weakness for landings since its flush with the ground. Almost need to retract it or move it forward a bit more to get it off the ground. Limits the surgical landings but looks like it has some cool options.

I have beeing eyeing this game for years, but never got in because it lacked a lot of content. Should I do it now? Is it time? Or wait?

These are a bit blurry 'cause I'm using lower quality recording but the new Rest stop hangars are pretty damn cool and keep in mind this is just the small rest stop.

Now with video

reststophangar1.png

reststophangar2.png

reststophangar3.png

Last edited:
Couple shots of the Valkyrie Liberator over the dark side of Daymar.

ScreenShot0574.jpg

ScreenShot0573.jpg

ScreenShot0576.jpg

And some of the Hammerhead on Daymar as well. You NEED to have a crew with the Hammerhead because all its turrets are manned.

ScreenShot0556.jpg

ScreenShot0564.jpg

Lots more to post when I get back, gonna catch a movie with the gf. Her parents were visiting and we just need to decompress for a while lol.

I haven't been following Dev that closely recently. Has there been any info on the work being done on the transition from character zero g to ships and what not. It seems very buggy here recently. I assume it has to do with the ships having there own gravity and local physics grids. I had all kind of problems with trying to get back in the hammerhead last night. Just ended up killing myself...

Back in the day with the mag boots toggle on/off, I found it worked well and the grabby hands animation seemed to work well for emersion. Not sure if grabby hands is even still a thing anymore.

Ok, it's been a VERY long time since I had this game installed, and so much has changed. Could one of you fine folks answer a single question?

I have the old "MUSTANG ALPHA AC STARTER" package. Does this include everything that I need to run both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 (which is the full game minus addons)? The starting point to this is so overwhelming...

bzOoNwC.png

Yep, that's both full games, minus possible future Squadron 42 expansions. The only thing that changed is the Alpha & Beta access was removed, all packages have access now. Also the The AC (Arena Commander) pass was removed and you should have received 5000 extra UEC in it's place . That's the "Legacy AC" item in the package. The 5000 credits aren't listed but you should see it in your hanger log as it was applied to your account not package.

Last edited:
I haven't been following Dev that closely recently. Has there been any info on the work being done on the transition from character zero g to ships and what not. It seems very buggy here recently. I assume it has to do with the ships having there own gravity and local physics grids. I had all kind of problems with trying to get back in the hammerhead last night. Just ended up killing myself...

Back in the day with the mag boots toggle on/off, I found it worked well and the grabby hands animation seemed to work well for emersion. Not sure if grabby hands is even still a thing anymore.

Grabby hands evolved into the contextual interaction system that we have now where things have an appropriate action and corresponding animation depending on what and where it is in relation to the player. For example a weapon resting on a table can be Inspected, Equipped or Stowed but when a weapon is already in your hands you get Inspect, Stow or Toss instead.

As far as mag boots, those are gone. Why? Because their usefulness would've been restricted to metallic surfaces only. The new system they'll be working on will use your flight suit/armor EVA thrusters to hold your character perpendicular to surfaces where appropriate. And of course if your character is standing on a physics grid that takes precedence.

Last edited:
This ain't mine but damn cool. Crewed Hammerhead in action]

Lol nice. Going to be a crazy ship when people learn to use them and concentrate their fire.

Performance looked a bit up and down but no real major issues. Please let that be cleared up for the most part this time around :0 Have not been able to play much at all due to the micro lag outs from 3.0.1 forward.

Object Container Streaming and Bind Culling have improved performance massively. The game loves lots of CPU cores, Threadrippers are crushing the game with gusto. As a point of reference on a full server with lots of Hammerheads spawned I'd get 40-100fps (Ryzen 1800X @4ghz, 32GB 3200 cas14 ddr4, Vega64 Liquid cooled)

Speaking of performance metrics, once 3.3 goes to the live servers they will also publish performance metrics and will rank your system compared to others playing the game.

performance metrics.png

Sounds like they have it working decently and people in Spectrum overall seem happy with it, just hope it holds out :)
Also that they keep their testing of stuff that kills performance in the PTU if they have anything planned.

Back