Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Is any game that is in alpha a game or is it a project? I consider them a game in the works. Under development. Big difference between a alpha game and a finished game IMO.

Technically this thread is for screen shots, "Media" and a discussion about those but I guess reading the thread title is too hard :p

Yes sir. I was running at 4k then dropped it to 1440p. Everyone in game chat said it was normal.

Yeah the graphics are mostly server bound right now. It has improved a LOT over early 2.X releases. With 3.0 though its a very different build so it will take a few releases to get things stabilized again.
I was on a server at one point getting 50 to 60 FPS and it was amazing. When they clean up interdiction and how the server handles cargo / destroyed ships things should improve almost immediately. No need for someone a planet away to think about cargo and stuff in another area. They have several things that have been in development to help fix a number of those issues.

The only things that really make a massive difference on your end right now are having an SSD and a good amount of memory. Otherwise a 4 to 5 year old computer that was high end should be doable on medium graphics now.

The screen shots are pretty, and it's nice they are keeping the graphics up as the development period drags on, but seriously, why not get a damn solid beta out at this point? I almost bought in when S42 and SC split, and I am glad I'd didn't. At this point they have a great tech demo and a solid resume of design ideal, but really it's time to focus inward and focus on the unseen structure that brings the beautiful exterior to life.

Bullshit. I want to pop in every few months and see if it's still a pile of crap. The screenies just give me more to sift through.

I'd rather read real opinions than a circle jerk of screen shots. I have an Avenger and actually spent more than I would have liked on that... I'd like to actually use it one day. ;)

The criticisms with nothing in retort are more useful to me than shallow screen shots.

Problem is, the majority of "criticism" (read: trolling) is done by people who have never played or supported the game in the first place. So, while they are entitled to their "opinion" about the game, they hold basically zero actual weight in evaluating the product itself.

Nope. I spent about $100, and have enough hours racing, dogfighting and generally messing around that I can't complain. I do wish development would speed up, but I also understand that much of what's happening is under the hood and not noticeable until delivery.

I blew $50 on this "game" and do NOT feel that I got my money's worth...

Anyone else?

I put in $80, and just decided not to touch it until I'm sure it's something that's ready for me to play. I've hopped in a couple of times, just to check things out, but I'm not going to attempt actually playing it until it's further along.

Anyone else?
I am in the same boat. I put money towards Star Citizen before it was broken into two games ... fact is very little of what was promised has been delivered and timelines were never met.

Anyone else?

I spent about the same and...not yet, though I have messed around with the alpha builds a bit and had some fun so the value has not been zero. Mostly I am disappointed that SQ42 has not been a primary focus, as that was my main reason for backing.

Spent way too much money on SC and have no regrets. Its going to be a awesome game eventually. But for me its more about the journey and what SC stands for more than anything. Bringing a living breathing world with amazing fidelity to the users fingertips. Its the closest thing to experiencing space I will ever get. That feeling you get when you land on a planet and watch the sun rise just blows blows me away.

Spent way too much money on SC and have no regrets. Its going to be a awesome game eventually. But for me its more about the journey and what SC stands for more than anything. Bringing a living breathing world with amazing fidelity to the users fingertips. Its the closest thing to experiencing space I will ever get. That feeling you get when you land on a planet and watch the sun rise just blows blows me away.
Poe, is that you?

Problem is, the majority of "criticism" (read: trolling) is done by people who have never played or supported the game in the first place. So, while they are entitled to their "opinion" about the game, they hold basically zero actual weight in evaluating the product itself.

I hear this same comment when it comes to games in general and it makes zero sense...you don't need to buy a game to determine whether or not you like it...that is totally silly...I'm not referring to Star Citizen but just games in general...so everyone needs to buy every single game they may be interested in before they are entitled to voice an opinion on it?...no way...that's what impressions from sources such as gaming review sites that you trust, other player reviews, YouTube/Twitch etc are for---to determine if you will like the game or not...I've been interested in games early on only to find out later that it wasn't what I was looking for (or maybe it's not worth full price but will buy it when it goes on sale)

so many variables in play when it comes down to purchasing a game...the Eurogamer Alpha 3.0 article was well written and just because it's overall impressions were on the disappointing side every fan of the game will look for reasons to minimize it's relevance...telling people to spend money on Star Citizen to make their opinions valid is ridiculous

I hear this same comment when it comes to games in general and it makes zero sense...you don't need to buy a game to determine whether or not you like it...that is totally silly...I'm not referring to Star Citizen but just games in general...so everyone needs to buy every single game they may be interested in before they are entitled to voice an opinion on it?...no way...that's what impressions from sources such as gaming review sites that you trust, other player reviews, YouTube/Twitch etc are for---to determine if you will like the game or not...I've been interested in games early on only to find out later that it wasn't what I was looking for (or maybe it's not worth full price but will buy it when it goes on sale)

so many variables in play when it comes down to purchasing a game...the Eurogamer Alpha 3.0 article was well written and just because it's overall impressions were on the disappointing side every fan of the game will look for reasons to minimize it's relevance...telling people to spend money on Star Citizen to make their opinions valid is ridiculous

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said. The person I quoted claimed that criticism are more valuable than screenshots. Which, can certainly be true, but if you are looking for advice about the game from critics who have never actually played the game (of which there are MANY when it comes to Star Citizen), that advice really isn't going to be valuable as far as determining the quality of the game.

Nowhere did I imply that you have to have played the game to have an opinion about it. But you said it yourself - game site reviews, player reviews, etc. are a good way to make that determination, not trolls who come in every time this thread is updated and complain about expensive screenshots, offering nothing of value about the game itself.

you said that 'the majority of "criticism" (read: trolling) is done by people who have never played or supported the game in the first place'...my point is that you don't need to have played or paid for it to criticize it...if you see or read about something about the game then that is valid criticism...only time it becomes not valid is if the information is false...with Star Citizen the main criticism seems to be the crazy long delays, missed deadlines, millions of dollars being donated with little results etc...I don't need to have 'played the alphas or donated $$' to criticize the developer for these things

you said that 'the majority of "criticism" (read: trolling) is done by people who have never played or supported the game in the first place'...my point is that you don't need to have played or paid for it to criticize it

Which I did not disagree with. I only question the validity of those criticisms.

...if you see or read about something about the game then that is valid criticism...only time it becomes not valid is if the information is false...

I don't see how you could provide accurate criticism about gameplay if you are not familiar with the gameplay. That's my point.

Would you trust a reviewer who never played the game?

I love how people start having fun in Star Citizen again and the people who need to just be haters to be haters come out of the wood works, SURPRISE!

Anyways, got the VKB Sim MCG Pro for my Gunfighter MK I and its freaken awesome for Star Citizen, its got a full Xbox 360 style thumb stick on it that I mapped strafe left/right, up/down and push for landing gear and tonight I found out I could map strafe back to the analog brake lever on the stick so now I'm fully back to HOTAS from dual stick with 6 degrees of freedom! I'm having a blast flying in the PU with this set up and I'm constantly refining my controls right now making sure to backup the actionmap.xml so I can just restore my controls if anything happens. I even customized the emotes to my numpad, the Space Marine ones don't seem to work so I just switched them with others. I'm really wishing I had invested in 32GB RAM though when I put this system together, seems to be a major influence on performance, but I am getting a playable 20-30 fps most of the time, except in combat.

Finally got my Super Hornet working again and went on a dog fighting mission, was decent overall. The hornet is tough again finally and able to take a decent beating. I don't think the output is quite on par though but that may just be that other ships were able to soak up more with the shields regenerating at such ridiculous speeds. Seems a lot more maneuverable than in 2.6.x. Landing hits was a PITA though and missiles were bugging as well but it was a good amount of fun. Don't think I'll worry too much about combat though with its current state. May try AC again.

Doesn't seem like there will be any hot patches until 3.1 which is fine if they keep to the quarterly release they want and I really hope to see a number of the bugs addressed as well as get my Dragon Fly back hah.

For controls I really want to toggle my advanced controls back into action :( Really dont get why they made the basic default and locked it in. I get that it was daunting for newbies but at least let us switch it out easily.

32 gb helps? Hmmm. I wonder what it actually uses. Probably bc of it not being optimized. I would think more than 16 gb but less than 32 gb.

but if you are looking for advice about the game from critics who have never actually played the game (of which there are MANY when it comes to Star Citizen), that advice really isn't going to be valuable as far as determining the quality of the game.

Much of the criticism of CIG has less to do with the gameplay and more to do with Crobberts performance over the last 5 years, his history, the recent developments and news about the game, etc. Which makes sense because there's really not a hell of a lot of gameplay to criticize.

You don't have to have played the game to look at things like the Jennison letter, their ever increasingly sleazy sales tactics that still aren't quite pulling in the same amount of money, Crobberts recent statements/performance/failures, etc, and come to the conclusion that the thing is a shitshow that's extremely unlikely to succeed in a meaningful way.

Much of the criticism of CIG has less to do with the gameplay and more to do with Crobberts performance over the last 5 years, his history, the recent developments and news about the game, etc. Which makes sense because there's really not a hell of a lot of gameplay to criticize.

You don't have to have played the game to look at things like the Jennison letter, their ever increasingly sleazy sales tactics that still aren't quite pulling in the same amount of money, Crobberts recent statements/performance/failures, etc, and come to the conclusion that the thing is a shitshow that's extremely unlikely to succeed in a meaningful way.

If you want to discuss the business side of it, this thread is not the place. There have been numerous other threads in FPN regarding this or you could make a new one.

Besides, the guy I quoted originally wanted to know about the actual game in the first place, not the business dealings of CIG.

If it matters to you, I agree that things have been handled poorly by CIG.

32 gb helps? Hmmm. I wonder what it actually uses. Probably bc of it not being optimized. I would think more than 16 gb but less than 32 gb.

I'm not sure how much it really helps at this point. I was getting pretty much the same performance from the people on Reddit showing 32Gb.

I'm running a 8700k 5ghz with 16gb of 4133mhz ram and my game and pagefile were running off 850 Evo SSDs. "Separate drives". I just grabbed a Intel optan 900p and put the game and pagefile on it, but I haven't played with it yet to see if I could notice a difference there.

the lag mainly comes from server side from what I was told. since its super smooth when you join a new server but it gets all laggy the longer it stays up.

Was playing last night and enjoying it quite a bit in my Drake Cutlass Black (own blue but no love for police) but I am having a hard time communicating with anyone in game. Could not get a response, anyone have tips?

Looks like the F8C will be available in the PU after you unlock it by playing through SQ42. It also looks like there may be some other unlocks as well, nothing confirmed though. I want that fancy Gold F8C though lol

Looks like the F8C will be available in the PU after you unlock it by playing through SQ42. It also looks like there may be some other unlocks as well, nothing confirmed though. I want that fancy Gold F8C though lol

You want a fancy gold F8C-LX, you can pay $25k to CIG or you can get the piracy discount 100% FREE!

I wish they would have given the tiers their own weapon and armour combo . I want to complete my character with the gold armour and weapons, but that's way to much of a jump. I already have way to much stuff as it is. I guess I need to start a twitch channel and do give aways with other people's money to boost my level lol

shame on them for putting out this new trailer which misrepresents the current state of the game in terms of performance and gameplay...

so they finally included an on-rails shooter mode where you shoot baddies as you slowly approaches them

Back