Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Does anyone happen to have one of the less expensive CCU's to Orion, Endeavor, Starfarer/StarG, or Banu MM? I have an old school Retailator LTI that I'm thinking of CCUing/Trading etc.. if anyone has some of the discounted CCUs I'd buy em off you for a few bucks... :)

So how are the big ships going to spawn in? Like say Im at Olisar and I want to spawn an Orion or a Carrack etc. Will they just spawn near Olisar and you have to fly over to them?

So how are the big ships going to spawn in? Like say Im at Olisar and I want to spawn an Orion or a Carrack etc. Will they just spawn near Olisar and you have to fly over to them?

The newer "truck stop" style stations they've shown have docking ports for the ships that are too large to fit on a pad. Betting it will show up connected to one of those.

I updated this game. Anything in the last update worth playing that is fun?

Last time I tried a few months ago you could walk around in a clunky fashion and I think just the small space combat matches. Nothing to really do.

If you remember the Citizencon demo they showed us the Truck Stop stations. The one we saw was only a medium sized one and is already much larger than Port Olisar.

Notice the pair of Idris docked beside it, so you should be able to dock the same way

ytcuhdM.jpg

For even larger commerce ships there will be stations that are purposely built so they can unload whatever they are bringing. Here's some early concepts:

These are Hull-E's by the way
gKZHn0A.jpg

Also notice the Covalex logo, that's the largest in-lore shipping corporation of the game.
cK0ug9J.jpg

so I was tired and drunk last night and ccu'd my super hornet to the merchant man using my an old $0 CCU. Then realized I didn't have a saved $0 CCU to either the reclaimer or carrack lol... Anyway looks like they took out the $0 CCU for the Merchantman to the other ships like the Hull D. So I'm stuck sitting on 2 Merchantmen until they increase the price.

Has anyone tried to use support to sidegrade since the took out the $0 ccu'd?

Oh snap you can breach locked doors with the railgun, currently working in the PTU. Gonna have to try this.

Confirmed feature by the devs as well

cr1nxTf.png

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to use support to sidegrade since the took out the $0 ccu'd?
Someone tried something similar and this is what customer service told him.
In order for a $0 upgrade to work, both ships have to be flight ready. Because the Banu Merchantmen and the Anvil Crucible are still in concept phase, they aren't able to be upgraded from a ship of the same price. Once they reach flight ready, it will be available.

Sad thing is I have a few of the $0 CCUs you want but they can't be gifted :/
Seems I remembered wrong. I actually looked at my hangar and it turns out I don't have any $0 CCUs from Merchantman to either Reclaimer or to Carrack.

Last edited:
Went offroading again on Levski to see if those huge towers connected by a bridge had any ladders (sadly they didn't)

ScreenShot0098.jpg

The camera doesn't show the perspective well on these last 2 'cause the ridge slope is pretty steep
ScreenShot0096.jpg

ScreenShot0097.jpg

Figures.... Chances are the Merchantman will got another boost anyway. Hopefully the price doesn't surpass the 600i explorer. Not a big problem anyway, both packages are giftable and one is a Physical goods so if it ever comes down to it I can sell it.

Levski is pretty cool, but way too laggy on EU and US servers. Also encountering empty voids at windows and doorways.

0cgN9lm.jpg

Some of those are actual rooms/sections that havent loaded properly and others are truly empty/works in progress.
The very first day of PTU some of the shops showed up like that to me at Levski.

I was able to explore levski for over an hour the other day. I had those areas, as well as grimhex show up one some of the doors. Just walk into them and the other side will load.

Unless missed something down in levski, all the areas are connected so you shouldn't fall into some abyss lol

Since I see the Ursa on 3.0PTR, I've not had a chance to check yet do RSI Constellation Phoenix owners (for those unaware, its the limited luxury/security version of the Constellation) include Ursa rover and/or P-52 Merlins as loners? Any sight of the upgraded Lynx rover (I believe that's what its called) or the P-72 Archimedes? If I recall, the Phoenix should come with both the enhanced rover and snub fighter, but I can imagine they would use the loner standard edition (Ursa and Merlin) versions for the time being?

Correct the Ursa and Merlin will be given as loaners since the Lynx/P-72 are still in whitebox AFAIK. I own a Phoenix upgrade that I haven't applied yet but they are giving everyone in PTU a bunch of ships regardless if they own them or not, the Connie Andromeda/Aquila, Ursa rover and Merlin snub are available for testing.

Last edited:
So I bought a Terrapin today. It was rather silly having LTI on a Drake Dragonfly Black so I upped that to a Terrapin. Thought of melting my Gladius which also has LTI for a Drake Herald, really want the Herald for some reason but think that will be a bad decision.

The self fueling capability might be useful- the difference between going fast from one planet to another, or one system to another...

Herald is pretty niche in what it can do but its gameplay sounds pretty interesting

New patch deployed just a few minutes ago, if you don't see the "update" button on the launcher go into the Settings tab and click Verify, that will force the update.

Biggest new feature added is the ability to log out and save your location in space if you do it from a ship that has a bed. You have to physically get in the bed and use the item 2.0 "inner thought" option that appears once youre laying down.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...-citizen-alpha-3-0-0ae-ptu-677001-patch-notes
Ship bed persistence spawning is now on. Note from the designer: This should allow players to log off (disconnect) from a PU server via a ship bed. This is done by using player interaction mode to get into bed and then triggering the “log out” interaction via the inner thought. This persists the location of the player in their current ship and the ship’s position. On re-connection, if the player was the ship's legal owner, they will be put back in the bed and the ship will be respawned at the point the player logged off at. If the ship the player was in got destroyed after the player logged out (i.e. you were in a friend’s ship when you logged out so it wasn’t instantly removed), you should respawn back at the last station you were at.

For anyone who is interested, there are now special Discounted Starter packages available as part of the Anniversary Sale! I'm buying one or more for giveaways :)

If you were waiting to get into SC, now's the time to get in at a lower price with better features. Of particular note is the Aurora Discount Starter Anniversary 2017 package which like all Anniversary packages gives 60 months of insurance vs 1 to 6 months normally, but also includes the special limited (ie only able to be purchased during special events like this) Aurora variant the Aurora LX instead of the Aurora MR which is standard, as well as a full game key for Star Citizen All for only $35!

Prefer the Mustang instead? There's a Mustang Alpha Starter Anniversary 2017 package too with similar extended insurance. However, this is the "normal" version of the Mustang included in the starter usually, but its still a great deal also at $35

Finally, if you want to start with a 2-man ship that has some extra room for cargo hauling, check out the Reliant Kore Starter Anniversary 2017. This is a bit more expensive in light of the ship included, but its another great starter option at $75.

Note that all of these include full Star Citizen game keys (which will grant you access to the Alpha as well) but if you want Squadron 42, you'll need to purchase an add-on at a later date when it arrives (likely $15 for existing package holders) as it is a separate-though-linked title.

Edit: I've been told that if you're purchasing one of these Discounted Starters on an account without a game package upon it all ready, you will be offered Squadron 42 AT CHECKOUT for $15! DO NOT PASS UP THIS OFFER as at least currently there is no way to go back and get it yourself as there's no page for the addon at that pricing currently.

Hope this helps and enjoy!

Last edited:
Interested in several ships, but I'll wait. Have enough right now lol. The Drake Red caught my eye though. Could be some fun play in that. Though I would want to disarm anyone coming on board lol.

DA-DA-DA-DA-DOWNLOADING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ 4MB/s

Looks like 25% complete, 19GB & 1.5 hrs remaining.

I assume there is a flight school / tutorial mode to get started, eh?

edit: found tons of version specific getting started stuff on youtube

Last edited:
DA-DA-DA-DA-DOWNLOADING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ 4MB/s

Looks like 25% complete, 19GB & 1.5 hrs remaining.

I assume there is a flight school / tutorial mode to get started, eh?

edit: found tons of version specific getting started stuff on youtube

There "WAS" a tutorial mission system long ago. It was broken and removed. They've changed the flight model several times and changed the key layout. So print out the new one and make sure any video you watch is for version 2.6+

Got a PDF or image for best or typical mappings for the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick?

There are actually a couple of them on the Start Citizen forums. They have a whole subforum for hardware (and a separate on for joysticks, simpits etc..) I'd give you a link to a thread directly, but I've not checked if it has been updated to be 3.0 PTR compliant for any new functions/updates/features there.

Star Citizen in "Spectrum" has one of the neatest unified communications systems around - so you can check out both chat rooms and forums from that same login and your same presence (not to mention stuff like calendars , Organizations (aka guilds) and private org forums stuff). Even better, its all built on an open source backend - the chat is XMPP compliant for example - you can actually go into your profile and check out your XMPP key bound to your SC account.

So don't be afraid to head into any of the IRC-style chatrooms and ask there about mappings for your HOTAS too!

Most HOTAS are detected by default and may or may not have a "great" default mapping, but in any case one thing you can do is start from either the game default or an imported one from other players and then head into Arena Commander on a Solo flight,. Mess around there to get the feel for what you like and what you dont. Remember that layouts are specific to the individual as far as preference, so you may find you like having certain things on your joystick buttons and others on your keyboard hotkeys etc. This will only become evident as you play! Of course I understand that wanting to start from a good place is important so yes, doing one's research can be beneficial, even if ther'es tweaking after.

Edit: You may want to start here - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...tmaster-t-16000-fcs-hotas-fillable-pdf-form-c

This is not for the T-Flight HOTAS X, but its 'big brother' the Thrustmaster T16000 FCS HOTAS (I have this stick for now... until I decide on either a first party Star Citizen stick, or something from VKB / VirPIL perhaps) . They have some similarities so it may be a good starting point though.

If you want to bind everything yourself, don't forget to to to the Joystick Advanced bindings menu by the way

Edit2: Way, way out dated so I would ignore the rest but if you wanted a diagram... check out https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...stick-thrustmaster-hotas-x-profile-w-joytokey . I would suggest not to use programs like Joy2Key unless you have to etc... and the modern versions of SC support the entire HOTAS binding natively, so long as its detected by Windows (and all of its buttons/axis).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I puttzed around for an hour & spent more time looking at OPTIONS > CONTROLS than actually flying around.

It's easy to fly around w/ the HOTAS, but I wanted to try to land on something or dock my ship but I was just in Arena Commander / Solo...

There are sooooo many controls... I need to spend some a lot more time w/ it today.

I would love to go this direction in the future.

I puttzed around for an hour & spent more time looking at OPTIONS > CONTROLS than actually flying around.

It's easy to fly around w/ the HOTAS, but I wanted to try to land on something or dock my ship but I was just in Arena Commander / Solo...

There are sooooo many controls... I need to spend some a lot more time w/ it today.

I would love to go this direction in the future.

Keep up the good work! Once you figure out what makes you comfortable you'll be able to bind in the best way that works for you.

Oh great VirPil review video. Don't forget to check out their website (english version) - as they are actually working on a joystick especially for space sims like SC. They call it the Constellation! It will differ from their existing MongoosT-50 grips and is still in development of course, but I get the impression that you can always swap to another grip if you wish which will work on the same base. I'm also very curious as to the difference between the Virpil MongoosT-50 grip and the very similar VKB-Sim MCG Pro ; the layouts are very nearly the same on the grips themselves. I wonder how similar the actual joystick bases between VKB Gunfighter and Virpil too? Also, I see both VKB and Virpil have developed Throttle products (though there is only a picture on Virpil's site of their offering; VKBs shows a placeholder graphic I think), so those that want a HOTAS vs Dual Stick setup will also have an option. Oh, and though Virpil's Constellation space sim grip is the first pictured on the site, I hear that VKB is working on a "Kosmosim" grip o their own!

I hear lots of great things from these sticks but given their considerable cost ( Each stick alone is around $300+) I will want to be sure I'm buying the best!

Oh its also worth noting that several years ago CIG was in talks with Saitek to build next generation Star Citizen joysticks. Alas, this was before Saitek was bought out by Logitech who pretty much wasn't interested in that kind of new product. At the time, only Saitek (compared to Thrustmaster and CH) was interested in really iterating on the design, especially for the high end variant, but maybe with new companies that have formed in the past few years like Virpil, CIG will have better partners for such an endeavor.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in joint PTU play? Happy to crew and throw the Nox in cargo. Name is the same in SC.

I still can't fly worth a shit w/ HOTAS or KB/mouse & very frustrated (just like first 8 hours w/ Elite)

Many controls don't work for me like ENTER for CHAT in MP, -/+ for FOV in /out and others (haven't memorized them yet either)

I'll add you to my contact list Dudhunter my name is also the same in game.

Blowing up a Caterpillar full of cargo on the upper atmosphere of Daymar.
Cargo and chunks of ship debris make it all the way down to the surface.

Well yeah, but one stupid company partnered with another stupid company. They'll take each other down together :D

Back