Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Here are some thoughts from those playing it and not just posting pretty JPGs:

"I keep waiting for this solid foundation of a game to appear, but it's just no where in sight.

It is honestly still such a mess, it's a far cry from anything we've been shown at any of their expos."

"This mess isn't getting cleaned up any time soon. Every single aspect of the game has a bug."

Last edited:
dR.Jester If you are getting error 15006 recopy your account and delete the USER folder, that fixes it.

Supercharged_Z06 I can't give you a first hand account of everything you asked 'cause for example I've literally done ZERO missions/combat. I've just been exploring cause everything is new and I'm taking in the sights. That said there's a ton of customization of ships, characters, etc. I'll whip up a quick video showing how you can mix and match pieces from different armor sets on your character, you can also modify weapons with different sights/barrels/etc but those items aren't in yet or at least I haven't bought any. Ship weapon loadouts were already pretty customizable since 2.6.3 but I'll take a look at what's new.

Edit: Oh I can also show you damage states on ships. The Starfarer has some pretty awesome looking mood lighting and internal damage. Since I still have the old version installed I'll do a couple videos showing that version and the new. I still haven't even spawned a Starfarer in 3.0 so it'll be the first time I see it myself.

Went off roading with an Ursa on Levski for a bit lol.

Offroading on Levski.png

Last edited:
By the way I need you guys' in-game names cause the contacts don't carry over from the old live version into the PTU. There's a new "Launch as party" option that will load all of us together in the same server, speaking of which, current player cap is 50.

To add me as a contact type /addcontact Lorien

P.S: Nice, Peter Capaldi (the current Dr. Who) confirmed to be at least a voice actor for SQ42.

Last edited:
Great shots, I think I'll skip PTU (I wouldnt be in anything but the last wave anyway) for this and wait for release. Too many things going on in the next month to have the time to put in bug reports and such. Cant wait to get in though. Definitely looking forward to the Delta Patcher helping things roll out faster.

Even from the screen shots things look quite a bit "tighter" from 2.62 and 2.63. Lot of work behind this foundation release.

Enough with the pics. Everyone knows that Star Artisan can produce pretty art. How about some comments as to the underlying game mechanics? The game's interface itself? Ship systems beyond simple door controls? Helm controls and what works/doesn't work in a cockpit? The ability to actually do anything meaningful in the alpha? VR support?

Yes we get it, now quit moving the goalpost and go away. No one is going to cater to your needs, we're busy with the PTU. If you want to see what's in 3.0 either get on or watch youtube playthroughs.

New patch was deployed recently that fixed a few things. The mobiglas character loadout went from looking like this (notice the missing character model)

old loadout.png

To this. The preview model is fully rotatable (sp?) and shows all changes (even gadgets like extra grenades and extra ammo magazines) that you make to it before applying. The interface itself a quite a bit more responsive

new loadout.png

This is the old Starfarer internal damage model. I'll upload the new one shortly

Last edited:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16274-Hammerhead-Concept-Sale

$550 and $650 packages.

If there's one thing that pisses me off about this game, its this. The prices...they are fucking insane!

Its highway robbery, I don't give a shit how cool the jpegs look.

First; I was under the impression that LTI wasn't going to be offered anymore. "Get it now, before it's too late!"

And then, I read this about that concept ship:

In the future, the ship price will increase and the offer will not include Lifetime Insurance or these extras.

Ohhhhh right right, gotcha Chris. Sounds like a stand up operation ya got here (y)

Another day, another jpeg for sale, you ever consider that something is fucked up at CIG since CR stated they had enough money to finish the game and yet they continue to sell pretty pictures?

By the way I need you guys' in-game names cause the contacts don't carry over from the old live version into the PTU. There's a new "Launch as party" option that will load all of us together in the same server, speaking of which, current player cap is 50.

To add me as a contact type /addcontact Lorien

P.S: Nice, Peter Capaldi (the current Dr. Who) confirmed to be at least a voice actor for SQ42.

I'm under Smoeki in game

be forwarned I have no idea what i'm doing yet lol

I did set up my t1600m hotas so that helped a bit. my desk a a major mess right now, USB drives and 2 keyboards and mice, joysticks and throttle and cords all over the damned place lol. Waiting for my other monitor to come in so I can put my room back in order.

Now that the Carrack and Reclaimer jumped I can use some $0 CCU's to close the gap and move up either the Orion, or Carrack to the 600i. Now the Gemini is an option but I was never a huge fan of. The prowler is to much for to little, the 600i Explorer is looking like a possible upgrade from the Carrack especially with the larger size confirmed. The Hammerhead looks pretty sweet but outside of doing a CCU from the Hull E I doun't know if I would use it enough.

Carrack is the largest ship I own and couldn't imagine melting it or trading it. Some of the larger ones are definitely interesting but I wont have enough folks to crew them lol.

Id like to remind everyone that complains about ship sales that these ships are funding the game. you should cheer each sale like this as if it was the nfl. When I discovered the beta for world of warcraft, It had been developed for 8yrs.. before anyone even knew they where working on something.. while we played 2d warcraft rts games, funding hidden wow development.. I sit here now, and await a world of starcraft so i can run around as a space marine but it sure hasnt happened..

Id like to remind everyone that complains about ship sales that these ships are funding the game. you should cheer each sale like this as if it was the nfl.
Dude, they've raised $150 million and their original target was a fraction of that. If they still need to sell ships to fund the game then they have fucked up spectacularly.

Dude, they've raised $150 million and their original target was a fraction of that. If they still need to sell ships to fund the game then they have fucked up spectacularly.

That number is actually $167 million, but hell, what's another $17 odd million among friends?... The ship funding game development model seems to be working out well for them.

Man finally played 3.0 yesterday. Holy shit! The pictures and vids just don't do it justice. It's so amazing the scope and scale are unbelievable.

Why aren't you guys mentioning any of the bugs that are prevalent on the Star Citizen Reddit?

Why aren't you guys mentioning any of the bugs that are prevalent on the Star Citizen Reddit?

From what I can tell on this thread, it's not really an in-depth discussion of bugs and problems. Pretty sure the guys that are actually playing the game here understand that they're all having the same kinds of problems. The subreddit has a ton more activity and members discussing things waayyy more in depth.

dR.Jester I see where you're coming from but this has always been stated

And can respect that. People are free to spend as they please. The only problem I have here is that if an in-game item is sold for $500, then it incentivizes the developer to put the item behind a (potentially artificially) large amount of work if they also offer it for in-game credits. Otherwise, you're going to piss off all the big money spending whales that are dropping thousands on the game. Now I may be wrong, because no details have come out regarding how to earn credits, how many credits can be earned per x time, whatever, so I may be completely off base.

You see it in mobile games all the time, albeit in f2p games that sell items for real currency concurrently with "credits" or whatever. As someone who would like to eventually play the game, but hasn't backed it, it worries me.

I'm getting really tired of seeing these same "blaa blaa 500 € jpg" posts over and over again - it's really getting old and doesn't add anything to this thread. No one is forcing you to buy anything. You only need the basic game package and that's it. You're done. The universe is so large that the majority of ships and "people" you see are NPCs anyway. It wouldn't be fun if you could earn everything in few hours in game. I'm pretty sure that they will find right balance.

I've pledged ages ago, now I'm just watching how things progress. They are indeed making some nice progress with 3.0. However I'm more excited about Squadron 42. Star Citizen will be nice extra once it's "ready".

By the way, when is the SQ42 holiday stream?

I'm getting really tired of seeing these same "blaa blaa 500 € jpg" posts over and over again - it's really getting old and doesn't add anything to this thread. No one is forcing you to buy anything. You only need the basic game package and that's it. You're done. The universe is so large that the majority of ships and "people" you see are NPCs anyway. It wouldn't be fun if you could earn everything in few hours in game. I'm pretty sure that they will find right balance.

I've pledged ages ago, now I'm just watching how things progress. They are indeed making some nice progress with 3.0. However I'm more excited about Squadron 42. Star Citizen will be nice extra once it's "ready".

I'm not saying that offering high priced items in inherently bad, or that it forces anyone to buy anything. What I'm saying is that it could drive a developer to excessively "wall off" those high priced items to people who are paying with in-game credits. As someone who wants to play this game when it comes out, I'm saying that it worries me.

During the process they'll go through to price out ships in the game, or determine how easily a player can get them, they'll inevitably be forced to confront those issues.

For example:
  • Make a big monster end-game ship easy to get, and you'll ruin the progression of gameplay and people won't want to play for long, you'll piss off most everyone.
  • Make a big monster end-game ship harder to get, you'll maintain good progression of gameplay and people will play for longer, but you may piss off the whales who spent big bucks on those ships.
  • Make a big monster end-game ship incredibly hard to get, you'll extend progression of gameplay such that people might feel like those items are unattainable. The whales will feel happy about their expensive, exclusive items, and spend more money, but you'll piss everyone else off, who may not be spending any money after the initial game purchase anyway.
I hope that CIG makes the right decision, but I could see it being easy for a company to just say hey, let's go after the money at the expense of people who wouldn't otherwise be buying into the ecosystem.

I hadn't realized they had more than a couple moons and space stations, how many of the 100 star systems have you visited so far? Are there a good mix of quest types and givers? How many missions does it look like it would take to upgrade to a bigger ship?

AFAIK it was discovered during Evocati with help from a dev and then people have been passing on the info

A few pointers for new 3.0 pilots as the PU has moved greatly towards simulation instead of the arcadey feel of 2.6.3.

Single seat dogfighters aren't meant to be able to explore everywhere without judicious management of both Hydrogen fuel(for near-orbit and in-atmosphere planetary maneuvering) and to a lesser extent Quantum Fuel for intra system travel.

Here are a few pointers after having flown nearly every single seater I own:
  • Use the orbital markers around the moons (OM-1, 2, etc) to get closer to your destination as that uses Quantum Fuel instead of Hydrogen.
  • Do not attempt to fly down to an outpost 400+Km away (use the orbital markers). Even if you make it you most likely won't have enough fuel to take off from atmosphere or in worst case you'll run out of fuel and you'll be pulled by the moon's gravity well and eventually crash/explode/die (you can eject seat if the ship has it available).
  • If you have to afterburner do it only in straight lines and make sure you reach the max top speed (1k+ m/s). This is the most efficient use of afterburner.
  • Do not keep holding the afterburner key after reaching max speed, you are just burning Hydrogen with no benefit.
  • Flying holding afterburner while turning is the worst way to waste Hydrogen, avoid doing it.

Last edited:
Game kept disconnecting on me Lorien, going to head to bed at 10am lol, hopefully they get some more stability patches for the servers soon, they were pretty unstable all night.

Speaking of fuel, are fuel intakes working in 3.0? I'm wondering if something with double intakes like the Herald is significantly better at getting around, or if it doesn't really matter yet.

(Also for 3.0, its been different in other versions) - Is fuel consumed according to distance traveled, thrusters used, or both? Can you just point in a direction, fire up to max velocity, and coast the entire way, or do you want a bigger tank/intakes to explore?

Game kept disconnecting on me Lorien, going to head to bed at 10am lol, hopefully they get some more stability patches for the servers soon, they were pretty unstable all night.
Yeah seems they are about to release a new patch and were collecting everyone's crash reports

Untitled.png

Speaking of fuel, are fuel intakes working in 3.0? I'm wondering if something with double intakes like the Herald is significantly better at getting around, or if it doesn't really matter yet.
That is the intended behavior haven't really tested it myself indepth 'cause exploring > * lol
I can confirm from first hand experience that Hydrogen DOES regen but very slowly, I remember them saying that the best place to refuel with the ram scoops would be near the upper atmosphere of planets/moons and it also depends on how Hydrogen rich that atmosphere is but I have not tested it myself. I will try it later and report back.

(Also for 3.0, its been different in other versions) - Is fuel consumed according to distance traveled, thrusters used, or both? Can you just point in a direction, fire up to max velocity, and coast the entire way, or do you want a bigger tank/intakes to explore?
Haven't tested that either but it should be possible. The thing is distances are so enormous you'd spend days going to a destination and you'd likely run out of Oxygen before you got there.

There's so many things to try lol. I haven't even been to Yela nor any of the outposts/stations around it (Grim Hex). Oh and the current patch added Kareah back (it wasn't available the first day of PTU) and I've yet to go there as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the scoops are working yet or which ships have good ones. You do use some hydrogen fuel just flying around, at least on some of the moons, but it's really slow. Most of the people who're running out are leaning on the afterburners too much. As long as I was using it to just get up to max speed and then turn it off I didn't have any issues even with some of the smaller ships. You can refuel, repair, restock at cry astro. Seemed to work but I didn't have any major damage.

New patch possibly tonight if all goes well

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/ptu-build-status
PTU Build Update

We'll update this post as new info comes available throughout 3.0 testing.
Current Build: 3.0.0-673332
Build in Testing: 3.0.0-673983

Status: The current build 673983 in testing is not a release candidate but includes many fixes from devs this morning. As we're wanting to dig a little deeper into some issues, we've put in some logging code that will require a new build. This second build will be a release candidate.

Tradtionally, a build takes about two hours to complete and deliver throughout the company, and then take about four hours to test internally. If this build checks out, we'll be publishing tonight USA time. If for some reason it does not, we'll shelve for tomorrow.

3.0 represents months and months of development, and stabilizing and bug fixing in any PTU phase does take time. Your participation has been absolutely fantastic and incredibly helpful in this first phase of 3.0 testing. :heart:

Not happening tonight
Update: 615pm CST/1215am GMT

Current Build: 3.0.0-673332
Build in Testing: 3.0.0- 674154
Status: After testing, QA found two major blockers in build 674154 that will result in us delaying deployment until tomorrow.

I finally got to the big crash site. I kept getting a hard crashes every time I got close. Something I noticed today was I was getting some cache faults, Star Citizen seems to be using the AVX instructions and I originally had my 5ghz OC set with a -1 AVX offset and I never stressed the system for AVX after I set it to 0 lol. I popped my voltage up a bit so I'm not sure if that was causing the faults and crashes or not as they went the normal server disconnects.

Anyway, I grabbed some footage with the built in windows 10 video recording, cool little built in feature. Not sure how to upload it yet as they are over 10gb haha.

I hadn't realized they had more than a couple moons and space stations, how many of the 100 star systems have you visited so far? Are there a good mix of quest types and givers? How many missions does it look like it would take to upgrade to a bigger ship?
It's shitty weather outside. And dark. How's the weather there?

Like your post has anything to do with what I posted... I get it, you and bunch of other have no interest in this game. I wonder what you are doing in this thread though...

Last edited:
Back