Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Idris destruction in engine work in progress :cool:

Full album imgur.com/a/xqQhP

5Nk6JKG.jpg

Last edited:
Fake according to CIG, the company that lied about 3.0 being ready to release a year ago, lied about sq42 being ready to demo, lied about the games release date, lied about transparency (be nice to know where CR is spending $150 mil, other than on a new porsch and house fkr himself), etc...

Oh ya, how long ago and what dollar amount was it that CR said he could finish developing everything with the cash on hand and yet for some reason continues needing to sell jpegs?

Edit: is it just the video stuttering or is that how the "game" plays?

You should be able to get it without stutter if you have a decent system. It doesn't seem optimized yet though. For my system I expected better FPS (1080/3440x1440 at the time).

I was surprised how bad the land combat was considering the engine was based on Crysis. Roblox has better combat. Problem so far is I've never had "fun" in this game. Feels like it's missing a labor of love or something... hard to describe.

I think everyone would have been fine with a WC remake but he went all George Lucasie on us. Bigger is better! Still waiting for Jar Jar to pop up.

At this point I wrote this game off. If it eventually releases something playable (worth playing) I'd be thrilled.

I like the big ships in this game reminds me when I was in a Vanu starting base in Planetside 2 I wonder if the game will be on Steam?

Anyone have a figure on how many, how much has been refunded? Has to be in the millions by now.

Depends on what you mean by further along. If you follow the bugsmasher series you can see how much they have been inventing systems that have always been faked, but won't work that way here. The down side is that it's monumentally harder.

I have to admit I'm waiting until 3.0 (and persistence) to start really getting into it, but I think it's looking like nothing else out there.

Depends on what you mean by further along. If you follow the bugsmasher series you can see how much they have been inventing systems that have always been faked, but won't work that way here. The down side is that it's monumentally harder.

I have to admit I'm waiting until 3.0 (and persistence) to start really getting into it, but I think it's looking like nothing else out there.

If that's the case, then I predict that Star Citizen will become merely an engine that Chris Roberts will work heavily to license to other developers that will make vastly better games with it, while the game Star Citizen itself will flounder and fade under lack of focused vision and too much feature-creep.

Other developers can just take all the hard, long work invested into all these previously-faked systems, and make something far superior out of them because they'll have more focus and stricter deadlines keeping them in check.

3.0 will have better optimization they are saying. Right now the game is heavy on cpu and with 3.0 a lot will be moved to the gpu side of things which should help a lot. Granted the servers need lots of tweaking still but as they load up content the servers will need lots of updating and tweaking as it progresses. If you cannot stand bugs and problems do not buy the game. Wait for release which is a long ways off still.

I would say the servers need a lot more than just tweaking considering they are limited to 12 players, though from what I have seen anything above 6 players causes major problems. SC is supposed to be able to handle thousands of players at a time, if 3.0 doesn't jump the server to hundreds of players at once I would be extremely worried.

Yeah, I'd be concerned at how they get from where they are now (a handful of players in the same instance) to where they want to be (thousands of players in a non-instanced persistent universe). I'm not saying that they can't do it, but they really do seem to be miles away just now and I'm not convinced that this is in any way a trivial problem to solve.

The servers are always going to be instances with a player cap that are networked together by another layer of servers and DBs. I think the only big question is if they make several copies of all areas or just some. They're almost certainly going to do multipule copies for Terra, Earth and other places with hand crafted landmark landing zones and a good reason for a ton of players to congregate there. I think we'll see other population control mechanics, namely no-quantum zones, to keep random space stations or other locations that become population hotspots from getting too many players in them.

I fully expect 3.0 to be the same instance cap (24) or even lower than what we have now, but improve and exceed that cap in later patches. No new netcode in the history of games works well the first time you push it out to real players.

But didn't CR say that SC would not be instanced? I seem to recall that being a big selling point of the multiplayer persistent universe (and indeed a big bone of contention from the naysayers who said that it wasn't possible for the intended scope of the game and playerbase).

They mean it's not going to be instanced in two ways compared to other MMOs.

One is they're not going to have a bunch of zones (thinking dungeons here) that they basically spin up a new one for each party and there is zero chance of seeing anyone outside your party. They're going to at least try to make the whole PU appear as one big zone that everyone playing is in. I think there will be some exceptions to this like I said in my post above, but as far as they can they're trying not to use the instance crutch.

The other way is there aren't going to be a bunch of servers to select from when you log in so you don't have to worry about picking the same one as your friends. You just log in and it will place you on a server with people who are near your character in the game. The instance servers will be spun up/down all the time to handle a local area in the game world as needed. They're using AWS so this should be fairly easy. They will also have some communication between the local servers so if someone is in a Javlin in orbit and you're on the moon below, they may be on a different instance server, but you'd still be able to see the ship because the game knows it's huge and syncs the location between the local server instances.

Note, we don't have any of the upper level of the network code yet, can't recall off the top of my head when it might be ready, and they really need at least jump points to increase the size of the PU before it would even make sense to try and test. Their schedules are pretty crap anyhow.

If I recall what they said they would be working on is linking the servers together, so players in one area are tied to a few servers, but if you fly out of that area you would transition to other servers handling whatever area you are in at that moment.

Right now 3.0 will be 24 players which is low but the focus as been getting the actual game play in place from all of their ATV stuff leading up to 3.0. Back in 2.6 release waits they were talking about what they were working on with networking and they have touched on it a little bit with various tidbits so they have things in the works but putting them out for the concept modules would be a waste. With 3.0 we'll have a very early iteration of what the game can be. Lacking a ton of content and ability yes but its the cornerstone to build from instead of trying to build the stones still.

But didn't CR say that SC would not be instanced? I seem to recall that being a big selling point of the multiplayer persistent universe (and indeed a big bone of contention from the naysayers who said that it wasn't possible for the intended scope of the game and playerbase).

With the intended scope of the game, I can't see any other way to do it at present.

Had to scrap my plans to upgrade my PC over the weekend (couldn't pass up some juicy overtime) but I finally got it all setup and working except getting the OS activated which should be taken care of by tomorrow. Haven't done any tweaking whatsoever except set the memory to 3200 with lose timings, gonna jump in on the PU and take it for a spin.

Crosshair VI Extreme + Ryzen 1800x + Vega Liquid

By the way, if people were wondering, the maximum people you can have in your contacts list is 250. I filled it up a week or so ago from all the people I give tours and help out/play with in game lol. And I've only added a handful of people from the org so I'll have to start deleting people to add org members to my list. By comparison Blizzard limits you to 200 but 250 is still kinda small considering there are orgs with member numbers in the thousands. I'm hoping once they integrate spectrum into the game we should see a limit increase.

Last edited:
Nice, I'm hoping my parts for a R1700 / 1080ti build make it here by the weekend... Can't wait to see it all underwater (not right away, need a kit for the CPU block & a new video wb)

Just a reminder it's been 5 years - and still no game lol.

Just a hanger simulator.

This may eclipse Duke Nuken for the greatest vaporware ever.

Keep throwing money at it though lol.

Yes of course just a hanger simulator.

Except for the racing
Or Arena Commander pvp
Or FPS pvp in Star Marine.
Oh and the missions around crusader

There has been no progress in 5 years, nothing has changed beyond looking at a few ships in a hanger. Nothing has been shown, pure vaporware. /s

Wow time flew

Spent a few hours messing around with Merlins and docking them inside my Starfarer then I took us to the north pole of Crusader and deployed them. Good fun.
I have over an hour of unedited video which I will process and upload later, here's a few screenshots for now:

Initial deployment
l3V4riL.jpg

cO3cOZu.jpg

i5Tm7KG.jpg

PMk89ht.jpg

6W1BLtm.jpg

XKsclO0.jpg

d6wj0zZ.jpg

GHF7Pd6.jpg

Parking them back inside the Starfarer
c1h7baZ.jpg

Back at Olisar
xhXmjyQ.jpg

Practice run

Final result

Plus bonus shenanigans at the north pole of Crusader

3.0 was released on Friday to Evocati testers, following that will be PTU, then Live for everyone.

Understood- just excited. Now I need to sell a video card so I can get the correct one for the new build!

I had couple more of those Nox w/LTI left so today I upgraded two of them to a Freelancer and a Cutlass Black. Along with my Hornet (will upgrade to a S.Hornet when it goes on sale again) I think I'm ready for 3.0. I even got a 1080Ti now as well. Yeah I'm ready!

Nice, don't be surprised to see an extra F7C Hornet available for you as well. When you own a Freelancer they give you a free F7C Hornet to use in Arena Commander (since you can't use the Freelancer in AC).

Yes of course just a hanger simulator.

Except for the racing
Or Arena Commander pvp
Or FPS pvp in Star Marine.
Oh and the missions around crusader

There has been no progress in 5 years, nothing has changed beyond looking at a few ships in a hanger. Nothing has been shown, pure vaporware. /s

Yeah, and after five years we still don't have Squadron 42 which would have been easy to do after 150 million dollars. What you are talking about is hardly progress. These are all things that could be built in any game, using almost any engine and delivered in far less time and for far less money than this. Star Citizen is a fucking joke because it has such piss poor project management with no clear direction and very little to show for it after five years of development. Excusses will be incoming before too much longer about why they need to scale back, and why they need more money to finish the game. The excuses will be shit like: "The technology for our original vision of the game didn't exist, so we've had to invent it as we've gone. This is an expensive undertaking, and we will need more capitial to finish the goal and complete our vision fo what Star Citizen can be." You watch. This is going to happen. Then more years will pass. If a game ever comes out, it will be an arcaic and dated shell of what was promised. It will be something that could have been built with a fraction of the money CIG bilked out of the population.

Last edited:
even if they do release the game how can anyone really prove that all the $$ went into development?...maybe they used 70% of the $$ for the game and 30% on personal 'stuff'...no way of telling how much it actually costs

Supposedly Chris Roberts has quite a fee shell companies for some reason...

Edit: So the "wait for 3.0" mantra is already turning into "wait for 4.0" mantra on the star citizen reddit...

Last edited:
It’s sad to watch this just continually spiral downwards, dragging its cult like followers along still fervently believing that this will somehow still all come together. All they continue to produce/show is pretty art and canned animation assets... The smiling updates are becoming so cringe worthy. It’s sort of like watching a train wreck in super slow motion.

I see a lot of parallels with this, where supporters are buying the buckets.

So have SC backers just completely ignored SQ42 was supposed to be released 2 years ago, and has completely disappeared from dev updates? Are they at least concerned? Or is this just another 'wait until 3.0' argument?

Back