Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

First off, thank you all for your replies.

It's great knowing what's coming down the pipe but I need to focus on today for now. And today, I'm feeling weak in the air. No one mentioned if I can change the weapons on my ship in order to increase it's lethality. I think I have class 1 weapons on pylons that can take class 2 weapons.

TroubleMagnet, thanx so much for that salvaging tip, this is exactly what I was needing. It would also be useful to know which ships are more efficient for such a thing.

Am I wrong that I need some cargo space to effectively salvage?

If I have you correct then;

Booze and cigars give you instant cash
Personal firearms and unlootable Big Benny noodle boxes are useless and not worth taking unless you plan to use one in a mission, ambush a player who is doing the PI mission maybe?

Is there anything else useful to loot/salvage at this time or am I just really looking for Booze and Cigars?

And what do you earn for killing pirates, and is there ever anything to salvage from those wrecks I'll be leaving behind?

And yes, I did just buy my starter package so my Aurora MR is very new.

I melt it down at the "Dumper" place in town? I am not versed in this mechanic at all.

I'm just a little lost still. I am hearing that there are ways to gain other ships in game but I am not getting the details. I have seen people mention jacking a ship. If you steal a player's ship do you get some sort of negative Kharma, criminal status?

Right now you don't need anything to salvage, the real mechanics are not in. The booze, cigar, and weapon pickup is a placeholder. Once real salvage goes in you'll need a ship with cargo space and likely some tools to do it.

For right now, go to the web site and go to "My Hangar". Then look for the "ship upgrade" button. If you can upgrade to a Mustang Alpha for $0 then do that. If it will cost $5 then melt your package (from the my hangar screen) and rebuy the Mustang Alpha version of it.

Fly that ship for a bit and see if you like it better for the current game. If not you can go back and upgrade it. You can also swap between ships of the same value this way for free, I think only once a day though.

Right now there really isn't a good way to upgrade your guns in the Crusader mode. You can buy them with UEC on the web site but it's expensive and you can't return them if you don't like them. If you have more than one ship you can move them between ships, but you only have one. It's coming, but may be a patch or two.

You CAN get upgrades in the Arena Commander action mode (Under the Electronic Access menu) by playing the online game types. There is free-for-all, team deathmatch, capture the flag, co-op vs. AI vanduul and racing modes, all of which earn you REC that you can use on the web site to rent ships and guns to try them out. You can only use them in AC mode.

I think you get some cash for killing pirates in the comm array missions, and essentially do for the ICC probe missions. You can't get anything from their wrecks.

Right now in Crusader if someone leaves their ship you can hop in it and fly it away. It gives you one wanted level when you do it. Each wanted level adds time that you are locked in your quarters when you die, until at level 5 there is a price put on your head.

You can go to the security post and hack a terminal to reset your wanted level. It takes 1 min to go through. There is a mission after enough good guy missions to guard the terminal and a bonus for every criminal you kill. This is one reason you may want some free ground weapons.

Right now you don't need anything to salvage, the real mechanics are not in................ This is one reason you may want some free ground weapons.

Super, Thank You TroubleMagnet, these are answers I can make use of. So many videos of how to select this ship and that, they may be very helpful some day, but for today, they mostly just confuse people with unrealized expectations that have no bearing on today.

I wonder, is a tractor beam worth anything? The 325 explorer has one I think in a gimbal mount but I have no idea if it works or is useful.

Umm, I am on the website looking at my hanger and my packages and there is no "Melt my Package" option.

There is a button to "Exchange for Store Credits" and a "Gift" button next to that.

I am hoping they renamed this and this is the old Melt my Package button you spoke of.

"pushing the button and ...."

Yup, it worked, I dropped the Standalone game package for now, I don't think that's even functional yet right? So if I want I can apply that money toward an upgrade to the Mustang Beta or make an upgrade to the Avenger Stalker that much cheaper.

If the capture mechanics aren't in play maybe I should go Avenger Titan, it's cheaper and swaps the Cells for Cargo right?

OK, I melted my package, then I bought the Alpha, and then used the remaining credits + $5 additional cash to upgrade to an Avenger Titan.

Now I am going to go fly that baby and see how she does.

Once I figure out how to change out the pylon weapons I think it will do nicely.

Last edited:
Umm, I am on the website looking at my hanger and my packages and there is no "Melt my Package" option.

There is a button to "Exchange for Store Credits" and a "Gift" button next to that.

I am hoping they renamed this and this is the old Melt my Package button you spoke of.

"pushing the button and ...."

Yup, it worked, I dropped the Standalone game package for now, I don't think that's even functional yet right? So if I want I can apply that money toward an upgrade to the Mustang Beta or make an upgrade to the Avenger Stalker that much cheaper.

If the capture mechanics aren't in play maybe I should go Avenger Titan, it's cheaper and swaps the Cells for Cargo right?

OK, I melted my package, then I bought the Alpha, and then used the remaining credits + $5 additional cash to upgrade to an Avenger Titan.

Now I am going to go fly that baby and see how she does.

Once I figure out how to change out the pylon weapons I think it will do nicely.

Pretty sure it was always the exchange for store credit button, (melting) is just a term the community uses.

Yippeee !

I took my Avenger out, survived some fights with Pirates, managed to find a couple of debris fields and enough cigars to turn a couple thousand credits profit. A successful evening and very enjoyable. Cruising through the asteroids looking for salvage sites was a nice feeling, a calm period even though you know Pirates can show up whenever. Thanx guys, all the tips paid off and really helped me out.

Now I will continue building my salvage empire.

How does Cerberus B.P.I. sound ? (BPI = BonePicker Interstellar) ;)

BTW, you said I can jump in and take other people's ships, do they become mine. I guess what I am looking for is, is there a way to make some sort of permanent headway towards buying more ships and weapons that I might be able to keep or can possibly carry over to the final game?

GQGhCSK.jpg

OK, then my take on all this is spend as little as possible now cause you can't gain anything from it much and later there will likely be ways to earn it all in game. So just enjoy what they have given you and learn all you can cause it's the experience, knowledge and skill that you get to take with you. Besides, it's still an enjoyable experience if buggy.

OK, then my take on all this is spend as little as possible now cause you can't gain anything from it much and later there will likely be ways to earn it all in game. So just enjoy what they have given you and learn all you can cause it's the experience, knowledge and skill that you get to take with you. Besides, it's still an enjoyable experience if buggy.

You got it.

There will be free flight events that will let you try more ships. During one of the last events they let people try ALL available ships in the game (even the limited no longer for sale ones). These events are scheduled to coincide with new patches or gaming conventions. Look for Gamescom (August 18) and Citizencon (sometime in October) for one of those.

The single player game (Squadron 42) should come out by then end of this year. They will likely increase the price one more time but there will be plenty of warning so no rush on grabbing the add-on for it again.

Right now the only things that are saved between Crusader play sessions are ship loadouts, aUEC amounts, items purchased with aUEC, ship replacement timers and I think wanted levels. Plus even those are wiped for most patches, because alpha.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Latest ATV: Grim Hex confirmed for 2.5 looks great, update on the Bengal and too much good stuff to list separately. Just watch the episode :)

Bengal Carrier is ridiculously huge... I can't understand how they can manage make something like that flyable. It's rather incredible.

Last edited:
The hangar bay has more than enough room to fit an Idris (you can't fly it in though).

It's crazy that retaliators are parked up inside the bengal like they are nothing.

That was one hell of an infodump from ATV. Grimhex is sounding really nice, then there was the ship status leak with all the upcoming things. Rumor was the next concept would be flyable right away, forget where I heard that, but maybe it will be that one starter ship.

Someday we'll be able to see the massive turret on the bottom open fine in-game. That will be a good day.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragonfly was flyable right away.

It's going to be the Argo, the Idris utility ship, Ben confirmed it yesterday during an interview.

Rescue_ship.jpg

June monthly studio report: Monthly Studio Report - Roberts Space Industries

- Multifactor authentication to be deployed later this month (expect an FAQ and tutorials aplenty)
- Green Imperial Hex (Grim Hex) abandoned space station claimed by pirates confirmed for 2.5. Players with criminal status will spawn here, should be located in the Yela asteroid field.
- Enhanced reputation system
- Flyable Reliant and (not confirmed) Argo.
- New launcher/patcher with background and incremental patching coming by end of summer

Lots more bits of info peppered throughout the report, well worth the read.

Any plans to add VR support to this title?
Yes, may be a while as it requires a bunch of changes to the engine video pipeline to do it well. Crytek has been doing the VR updates and CIG needs to merge them into the heavily modified version of the engine that SC is using. They actually had support for the DK1 way back in the day but it got dropped when the big API change for the DK2 happened.

Any plans to add VR support to this title?
Yes. They will add VR support (previous alpha versions already had it) but are not actively updating it on every alpha release anymore because that means starting from scratch EVERY SINGLE TIME there's a new addition/patch to the game/engine and that is just a waste of time and resources. Once the game nears completion they will devote resources to properly support it.

did they disable the training mode? Moved my gaming computer to my new projector and 7.1 home theater and figured this game was worthy of testing out how it looks with pc games but I wanted to jump into training and learn the basics only to discover I couldn't select training like I use to be able to. Haven't played since AC first came out so I cant remember how to fly at all lol

did they disable the training mode? Moved my gaming computer to my new projector and 7.1 home theater and figured this game was worthy of testing out how it looks with pc games but I wanted to jump into training and learn the basics only to discover I couldn't select training like I use to be able to. Haven't played since AC first came out so I cant remember how to fly at all lol
Training mode has been disabled because it was broken and outdated. Use free fly arena commander instead.

If you own a game package that includes a physical Star Map or ordered a stand alone one check your email, they started shipping them now.

Correction: If your game package includes a map it'll come inside the box, folded up when SQ42 is released. The ones being shipped now are the stand alone ones that come rolled.

This is what it looks like, possibly with more detail.

Starmap-Poster.jpg

Last edited:
From today's ATV:

Free Fly starting tomorrow will last for an entire week (no details on what ships will be available yet). If you've participated in previous free fly events you'll need to update the launcher as it now incorporates the recently launched Two-factor authentication.

Took some screenshots of Grim Hex:

Station is embedded in a huge asteroid which has other large asteroids tethered to it. :cool:

And now with gfycat video. It is hard to get a sense of scale from the video, but that asteroid looks to be at least as large as Port Olisar (possibly bigger/more massive).

Oh forgot one last bit; The Nyx landing zone (a.k.a. Levski) has been done for some time now but since the procedural tech developed by the Frankfurt studio came online so quickly they decided to hold off and incorporate it into the game and launch both together. So expect to see Levski in a massive procedurally generated moon and us being able to seamlessly transition from space down to its surface.

I'm guessing this will be released in 2.6 and it will be previewed during gamescom 'cause they said they'd have machines with fully playable 2.5 and demo machines showing a preview of 2.6

Last edited:
i don't think it's unreasonable at this point, given the length of time from the original kickstarter and today. yes the scope and feature set has changed dramatically, but that doesn't make taking the money for a project that is supposed to be 18 months out and now going on 48+ without even the original targets released, any more acceptable. they significantly deviated from their end of the agreement, it's not without expectation, that some would want a refund at this point

I missed the orbit to landing video before- So very nice!

Anyone running 1440p out there? What sort of card are you running? My 7970(og) is struggling right now, but I haven't found any decent benchmarks on the newer stuff...

I get the same FPS in Crusader at both 1080p and 4K right now (980 Ti) so until they get the server limited FPS issue fixed don't sweat it too much. That being said, back when I upgraded from my 7970 to the 980 Ti it helped my FPS in SC at 1920x1200 at ton in AC and the Hangar, this was pre-2.0 timeframe. I'd still wait on a 1080/1070 until the AIB cards are available for MSRP though. You might also consider a 980 Ti if you can find one cheap, I know prices have fallen a lot but haven't kept up.

Back