Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Yeah i have been waiting for a more stable build my self, i have not even tried 2.0 yet.

2.0 and 2.1 are pretty stable if you can get in with multi hour play sessions (I've found myself wasting 3 hours just screwing around without crashing out). That said, if you can get in (2.1 especially can take sometimes about 20-40 minutes to try to get in) and the lack of a functioning party system are a major drawback right now. Servers right now are also the thing being taxed and this is impacting performance heavily (play local only, great FPS, play online and you'll experience stutter and slowdown at times).

The first step is to add people to your contacts list in-game.
Press F11 to bring up the contacts list then press left alt+space bar to go into cursor free mode so you can type in the textbox and add people. Remember to add people by the HANDLE not the community moniker. Oh and you can do this while at your hangar which will load quicker than getting into Port Olisar.

All right, I want to give this another try. Last time I flew around a bit and got into someone's Hornet turret position without their consent. I just rode along until the game crashed.

How does navigation work and how do I find the other stations? Can an Aurora even jump to them?

Gonna copy and paste this PTU how-to from the forums

Hit F12 to bring up chat
You can go up/down, roll, yaw, pitch, by using WASD, R is up, F is down, mouse is aiming your nose.
Spacebar brings your ship to a dead stop
Right Alt+backspace is to self-destruct
O turns the lights off or on
If you hit the V button you can change this to SCM which is Space Combat Mode
If you hit V one more time it goes to CRS which is cruise mode which is the fastest your ship can go but you have a much harder time turning
Tapping and holding left shift once will use some thruster fuel (gauge is center top right) which is good for making hard turns or stopping quickly
Double tapping left shift and holding will engage afterburner to help you get up to speed faster
Double tapping left shift and holding will engage afterburner to help you get up to speed faster
Capslock will enable/disable the settings on the left of your HUD
Left Alt+spacebar will bring up the mouse cursor in your ship so you can click on things on the HUD. Home button also works.

****Press B in your ship to bring up all the Quantum Warp points********
so don’t run out of gas and stop at the nearest CryAstro Station to refill on fuel and ammunition.

Comms Arrays
One of the types of missions are the Comms Arrays which you can see as many Quantum Points. When you warp there you’ll find pirates and some security forces fighting. You can kill the pirates and then if you see the beacon the top of the comms array is red you can go inside and turn it on.
To turn on the array you have to find the entrance which is an entry point about 3/4 of the way up the structure with pipes going into it and some lights. Get close, get out of your ship with Ctrl+F, EVA (using WASD, Crtl for down, spacebar for up) inside and down to a computer which you can turn on.
Once it’s on you’ll hear someone thank you and then some coordinates will be uploaded to your journal which is in your mobiglass (F9 and then click on journal). When you go back into your ship and bring up the Quantum points you’ll see an extra point and you can continue the mission from there.
There are 8 different Comms Array and each has it’s own set of follow up missions so make sure to fight through them all.

CryAstro Station
Pressing N will bring up the landing mode and show you all the landing pads.
Next you can press M for automatic mode, turn on PRE for speed (with V) so that you’re not flying too fast.
When you get close you can press middle mouse button (or whatever missile lock on is for you) to request a landing, eventually it’ll be important to request landings at places so might as well practice now.
on automatic mode (hitting M) the computer will take over and land your ship for you.

On the mobiglass, augmented reality, contacts
Your mobiglass is your smartphone in the Star Citizen Universe. It will have all your missions, items of information you collect will be in your journal, and many more options as it expands. You bring it up with F9 and put it away with F9. If you see on screen it says, “Added Journal Entry” that means you used something or did something and it added information to your journal, you should check it. Same goes with added missions. If you’re ever lost on a mission, don’t know what’s going on, or just need information, the mobiglass will be the first thing you look at.
Your augmented reality is what you use to identify objects and players in the Universe, when you bring it up with F10 you’ll see an overlay come in front of your face. If you get close enough to players it will show their names now, if you are close to items it will show what they are named. This will be really handy in the future as the game grows.
Contacts is where you’ll save your friends you meet in game. This allows you to see when they’re offline and online, join up in parties, and join servers together. It’s currently very very broke but hopefully it’s working soon.
In any of these screens if you need to use your mouse pointer you press Left Alt+Spacebar to bring it up, same buttons to put it away.
This basically brings you up to the point where you should be able to do missions on your own and defend yourself. There are many many more things to uncover but I’ll let you find them out for yourself by playing around or asking others.

Couple things of note, if you bring up the quantum points you don’t have to go to an actual point, you can just point anywhere, press middle mouse button, and be off in quantum travel. You’ll be in the middle of nowhere when you stop but this is normally good when running away from people. The map right now is limited in area and if you go too far outside it will automatically kill you, so careful with this one.

EVA is a really strategic part of the game, you can jump off platforms and go up and down the entire stations just by floating. Make sure to have fun with it as it will be a key skill in the future and right now.

Go look at some tutorials on youtube and learn how to fly, keep in mind that all of us started out pretty shitty and only time will make you a better pilot. Maybe you want to be an First Person Shooter kind of player? A mining merchant? A salvager? Explorer? The options are endless. For some people flying the ship is just to get your goods somewhere or get to the next asteroid to mine.

Buttons to remember:

F9 – Mobiglas, F10 – AR overlay (for seeing names), F11 – Contacts/party, F12 – Chat
V switches flightmodes PRE,SCM,CRUS
B turns on quantum drive, Middle Mouse to engage
LALT is now our freelook button and how we interact with MFD type UI, hold it to look around, tap for a cursor (while pointing at a screen).
LALT+Space for other mouse cursor to use with 2D UI
CTRL + F is now the exit vehicle seat button
RALT + Backspace will self-destruct/suicide
1 will bring out pistol, 2 for the rifle when you find it, J to holster weapons. Must be in weapon enabled area.
H to heal with your MedPen, must be damaged to use and you start with two.

Got into someone's Hornet (he just left it floating in space). Hit B and the game crashed again. :( I can't get it to run for more than 15 or so minutes.

It is definitely a bit buggy...and needed to have someone send me a modified user.cfg to get rid of some graphical distortions. I have not played much because of the issues, but the racing course is a bit fun...am thinking of getting one of the Mustangs just to run around in that.

ya the server works well for me but the offline training missions? Cant do them, locks up every 5-6 seconds for 2-3 seconds at a time. Said screw it and launched into the 2.0 servers and took off in my avenger and had 0 issues, warped around a bit and had some fun yet the offline training wont work lol.

Last edited:
Training missions are bugged per devs and people in the game chat

good to know :) I was hoping to get a handle on the basics of the game then jump into the multiplayer but I guess I will just have to jump into the fire

You can do free flight and also practice against bots, just pick drone sim in Arena Commander

P.S: A glimpse of the future

cJ9rnqU.jpg

Last edited:
You can do free flight and also practice against bots, just pick drone sim in Arena Commander

P.S: A glimpse of the future

ya I just wanted a tutorial on take off/landing and some other features. I might play in free flight but probably just as fun to fart around in multiplayer and hope I don't get killed :D

I have not posted in this thread about SC in forever and a day. I did manage to snag an Idris in the most recent sale. How are yall?

I'm looking forward to playing with you guys once friends lists start happening.

lol and since you last posted the Idris has grown quite a bit. FYI, friends lists are working, you can party up in AC, its just in the PU that the party system is very iffy.

I have not posted in this thread about SC in forever and a day. I did manage to snag an Idris in the most recent sale. How are yall?

I'm looking forward to playing with you guys once friends lists start happening.

Oh wow, that makes 5 of them :cool: and you can start adding ppl to your contacts list in game see my how-to a few posts above. Welcome back!
Edit: Oh and you can also add ppl through the website, you go to their profile and click the "follow" button. That adds them to your in-game contacts list and is much simpler/faster than doing it in game

Just go here and start adding people: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON/members

Last edited:
So, I read up on this game on the main website...watched a few youtube gameplay vids...Frankie's vids he recently made.....Game seems like a really cool concept....but correct me if I am wrong...So, you buy one ship for basically 50$ bucks.....You have to be careful as hell not to crash it or get killed in battle, because if you don't PAY for insurance, you basically are SOL and lose your ship, so you can't play the game? Gameplay and graphics look pretty cool, but the insurance thing seems pretty outrageous to me.... Is there a monthly subscription? I see that there is a developer 10/20$ monthly fee but is that needed to play the game?

EDIT-And what the heck is up with the huge variance in game packages? Are some people seriously buying a war pack digital download for 5K?? U gotta be fukin' kidding me.....

Last edited:
Couple things that might help clear some of it up.

Insurance is a digital currency thing, like repairing gear or buying components fuel etc in other games. So are upgrades to in game gear. It's mostly meant to be a money sink/maintenance type of thing. The free insurance thing is basically attached to the first run of most ships and all the early ones for people pledging on faith.

You can purchase in game currency for real money to spend on the above things with a limit. The in game value of doing this appears to be very low right now and is said to remain that way. What happens is anyone's guess but the devs talk about not wanting to be able to "buy" too much of an advantage often.

Yes, people are throwing in lots of money sometimes. Not that many of them but it's happening. Average pledge per backer has fluctuated between $75-$150 with the need for some error due to people having multiple accounts early on.

That subscription thing was basically for people that had all the ships (or...er, more than one of all the ships) and still had money they were willing to kick in in the earlier days. Now you get a sub forum on their boards, a badge thing I think and access to some media that is posted on reddit within minutes of subscribers getting it. They also put digital junk on your account to decorate your hangars. I think we get access to buy real life swag items things earlier than non-subs (shirts, mouspads stuff like that) but I'm not positive on that. It should really only be done if you want to donate more to the project.

I spent what I know some would consider a lot on the game. For me it wasn't a lot. I can only speak for myself in that I did that because I bitch and moan about current games and the lack of the genre being supported. Was time for me to STFU and pitch in some cash.

I definitely didn't give them the money for the ships themselves because I have an extremely low chance of ever even getting in all the ships I pledged for let alone actually using them in game for something meaningful. Most of the higher spending donors I've met at the cons are in the exact same situation. A few of them have big plans though I have my doubts of them ever doing anything other than being excited about something.

If you wouldn't mind indulging some unsolicited advice: if you are even vaguely on the fence; don't do anything right now. Just wait for release and you can make your mind up then. Saving $15 (or whatever it is these days) or getting a free insurance perk on a ship for pledging early just shouldn't be a big deal as a reason to get involved.

The time to toss in for even a starter package is when you have no doubts and don't care about the money you're going to spend because you could literally be throwing it away. Or you just wanna roll the dice and see what happens which just as good a reason as any (and definitely influenced me).

So, I read up on this game on the main website...watched a few youtube gameplay vids...Frankie's vids he recently made.....Game seems like a really cool concept....but correct me if I am wrong...So, you buy one ship for basically 50$ bucks.....You have to be careful as hell not to crash it or get killed in battle, because if you don't PAY for insurance, you basically are SOL and lose your ship, so you can't play the game? Gameplay and graphics look pretty cool, but the insurance thing seems pretty outrageous to me.... Is there a monthly subscription? I see that there is a developer 10/20$ monthly fee but is that needed to play the game?

EDIT-And what the heck is up with the huge variance in game packages? Are some people seriously buying a war pack digital download for 5K?? U gotta be fukin' kidding me.....

You dont have to be careful about insurance.

Ships come with 6 months of in game time worth of insurance, that does not tick down when you are offline, which equates to some where around 720 hours of play time give or take since there is not an official time scale conversion yet, but the last mention was around 6 in game hours = 1 real world hour.

You do not pay for new insurance when you ship get blown up, the ship you get back is still covered by that original plan, you do not need to renew it until that 720 hours is close to being up, and there is no reason you can't renew it before it even gets close to being up.

I really doubt someone would be able to let their insurance lapse unless they intentionally wanted it too.

There is no monthly fee,

If you use my Referral code at account creation STAR-3NY6-FGN3 you will get 5,000 UEC free which is the in game credits you can spend once the game comes out, ill get some misc hangar flair if you use my code.

Also yes people get those large packages because they are supporting the project.

You should never feel obligated to spend more than the $45 to get the game, anything more is simply to help fund the project, or to maybe get a particular ship that you want if you want to start out with a certain role in mind.

Also if you get the game you are welcome to join our org.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON

Its full of members here from hard forums.

Yes, people are throwing in lots of money sometimes. Not that many of them but it's happening. Average pledge per backer has fluctuated between $75-$150 with the need for some error due to people having multiple accounts early on.

Funny enough i totaled up the ships in the org thread, just as base ships not counting if they were variants which would actually put the total value up way higher but i divided it by the 50ish people that reported their ships and our average spent for the Org is around $480.

It really makes it feel like the Org we started here is doing its part. :)

considering that is a low estimate not counting variant values.

If you wouldn't mind indulging some unsolicited advice: if you are even vaguely on the fence; don't do anything right now. Just wait for release and you can make your mind up then. Saving $15 (or whatever it is these days) or getting a free insurance perk on a ship for pledging early just shouldn't be a big deal as a reason to get involved.

The time to toss in for even a starter package is when you have no doubts and don't care about the money you're going to spend because you could literally be throwing it away. Or you just wanna roll the dice and see what happens which just as good a reason as any (and definitely influenced me).

at some point soon they are splitting Squadron 42 and Star Citizen into their own games, at purchase time so i wouldn't wait too long if they care about both parts of the game, Squadron 42 being the Single player narrative, and Star Citizen being the persistent universe, the cost to get both of those will likely be much higher than the 45 it is now.

Yeah, I think that's a "poor" sample though. =) It's [H]!

Funny enough i totaled up the ships in the org thread, just as base ships not counting if they were variants which would actually put the total value up way higher but i divided it by the 50ish people that reported their ships and our average spent for the Org is around $480.

It really makes it feel like the Org we started here is doing its part. :)

*snip*
at some point soon they are splitting Squadron 42 and Star Citizen into their own games, at purchase time so i wouldn't wait too long if they care about both parts of the game, Squadron 42 being the Single player narrative, and Star Citizen being the persistent universe, the cost to get both of those will likely be much higher than the 45 it is now.

I know, I just don't think anyone casually interested is going to get the far into the weeds of things. If they're in, they really shouldn't be in because any of this is a "deal". I really think that hurt the project far more than it helped.

Yeah, I think that's a "poor" sample though. =) It's [H]!

Well that was sort of my point, the people around here on average (at least the ones that joined Dokazon Corp.) Are spending well above the average citizen.

Our ships per members is crazy high, there will likely never be any shortage of open crew positions among our 5 Idris frigates or any number of our other multi crew ships people have.

Which is all the more reason if someone is new to SC they should never really feel obligated to spend more than the game costs, regardless if they join Dokazon or some other Org there will always be room on someone's multi crew ship or even all the spare single seat fighters out there from people having more than one ship that might not mind loaning them to fellow Org members.

Couple things that might help clear some of it up.

Insurance is a digital currency thing, like repairing gear or buying components fuel etc in other games. So are upgrades to in game gear. It's mostly meant to be a money sink/maintenance type of thing. The free insurance thing is basically attached to the first run of most ships and all the early ones for people pledging on faith.

You can purchase in game currency for real money to spend on the above things with a limit. The in game value of doing this appears to be very low right now and is said to remain that way. What happens is anyone's guess but the devs talk about not wanting to be able to "buy" too much of an advantage often.

That subscription thing was basically for people that had all the ships (or...er, more than one of all the ships) and still had money they were willing to kick in in the earlier days. Now you get a sub forum on their boards, a badge thing I think and access to some media that is posted on reddit within minutes of subscribers getting it. They also put digital junk on your account to decorate your hangars. I think we get access to buy real life swag items things earlier than non-subs (shirts, mouspads stuff like that) but I'm not positive on that. It should really only be done if you want to donate more to the project.

I spent what I know some would consider a lot on the game. For me it wasn't a lot. I can only speak for myself in that I did that because I bitch and moan about current games and the lack of the genre being supported. Was time for me to STFU and pitch in some cash.

I definitely didn't give them the money for the ships themselves because I have an extremely low chance of ever even getting in all the ships I pledged for let alone actually using them in game for something meaningful. Most of the higher spending donors I've met at the cons are in the exact same situation. A few of them have big plans though I have my doubts of them ever doing anything other than being excited about something.

Thank you for the reply...U provided some great info/advice and I will definitely follow the last paragraph. Cheers!

It brings a tear to my eye when I see how active this thread is...my first post was back in 2013 :eek:

We PC gamers sure are a patient group!

Quick question: Would many of you listen to a Star Citizen themed Audio Drama?

It brings a tear to my eye when I see how active this thread is...my first post was back in 2013 :eek:

We PC gamers sure are a patient group!

Quick question: Would many of you listen to a Star Citizen themed Audio Drama?

some of us are patient. others not so much lol...

as for the last part

i personally do not listen to audio books or drama's or anything like that.

Got my PC at home on and am ready to remote in to download at a moments notice!

EDIT: AND LIVE! Downloading.

Last edited:
Nice, got mine a few days ago too.

So 2.1.0d is incredibly stable. I have literally not crashed after playing 3+ hour sessions, better yet is no disconnections either. The one bug that is fairly common now is clipping through the floor of ships when trying to board them for the first time but that's easily fixed by going back to the station's terminal and respawning them and it only seems to happen with the Mustang Alpha and the Freelancer.

Yeah I got my shipping notice as well.

Tthat reminds me i need to go to the post office. Apparently I've had a package from china sitting there for 2 weeks. I got a final notice the other day. Never saw a first notice lol... must have gotten mixed up with the 100:1 ratio of advertisements to actual mail i receive...usps...... I think it's some patches I ordered, I'm not sure what I bought lol....

I got in a nice ~3.5 hour session on the PTU last night (with some laundry breaks) until it finally crashed out. Got the long version of the Covalex<sp?> shipping hub mission done, couple comm arrays, and three of the probe ones finished. I loved the PI mission. Oh, also did some sight seeing when I was bored with the comm array missions. Seems more stable than live to me, they should push it to the live servers early this week.

I got my tracking number too, have to remember to check my door for the delivery notice. Wish we could specify no signature required on them. That ends up being a trip to the post office for me every time, rather they just left it in my (locked mailcenter) mailbox.

I couldnt help myself and bought into Star Citizen. But I dont think I got a package that includes alpha stuff. So I cant jump into the PTU correct?

If you have a package (you want the Aurora LN one) then you have access to live alpha and (right now) the PTU. They got rid of the alpha/beta/AC pass stuff since it was too confusing. The PTU goes up and down and is sometimes restricted to active bug filers and/or low account number people depending on their load needs for debugging. Currently all backers can get on the PTU.

My tracking still shows the concierge cards in china as of today so will prob take 2-3 weeks to get to me

That depends on how far your perks go back, and if your hornet is giftable you would likely be better off selling that on its own, and then selling the account on its own after. Tho i do not know what they go for.

Also not sure what the value of an lti hornet is currently either since LTI tokens have been sold so many times, $30 snub fighters with LTI than can be CCU'd to almost any ship ect.

You would have to check the star citizen trade section of reddit.

Back