Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

FYI guys they have just disabled the buyback feature on those $20 anniversary packages. Which is stupid, but whatever.... So I can't get them for anyone now it seems.

2.1 tomorrow either live or PTU for everyone

nT7cgz0.png

And ironically I just got my PTU invite lol

No PTU invite here. :(

UEE Citizen Record #301642

Looking forward to possible 2.1 go live tomorrow! Eager as heck to fly that Freelancer!

Well even if 2.1 doesn't go live, we'll get a new PTU build and the PTU open to all.

If its close to the or the final live build once it goes live you just rename it to Public and it won't have to redownload the whole thing.

EDIT, CIG Confirmed, 2.1c not heading for LIVE, but heading for PTU and will be open to all.

Last edited:
Greetings Citizens!

We're excited to announce that we've opened up 2.1.0 on the Public Test Universe (PTU) to all players!

We've feverishly been working to get Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.0 ready, but we've discovered a couple of issues that prevent it from being a fully enjoyable and stable gaming experience (particularly, temporary significant drops in framerates). The last thing we want is to jeopardize all of the fun everyone's been having with 2.0.0, and certainly not over the entire holiday period!

With that in mind, we'll be keeping 2.0.0 on the Live service and opening up 2.1.0 on PTU for all players!

Check your accounts, and copy them over to PTU then download the alpha again! :p

I can't get enough of that video of the p-52 detonating under the Connie, I thought they had patched it so you couldn't self destruct around Port Olisa?

Holy crap. Am I reading the "sale" prices of these ships right? Who is paying $100 to $900 for this?

Is it the case that the standard Hornet F7C variant no longer comes with a ball turret by default? Also, what's the deal with the missiles, they no longer lock-on for me....have they become dumb fires?

Is it the case that the standard Hornet F7C variant no longer comes with a ball turret by default? Also, what's the deal with the missiles, they no longer lock-on for me....have they become dumb fires?

F7C was never intended to have a ball turret stock, it was always an after market upgrade.

F7C-M Super Hornet is the only hornet that comes with the ball turret by default.

Its been awhile but at one point in time they gave military hornets as a loaner to F7C owners which included the ball turret, but that changed a long time ago when the F7C and variants were made flyable i believe.

As for the missiles, i have not flown a stock F7C in awhile so i have no idea what comes stock in AC with the F7C as far as missiles go.

Now is good time to stock up some limited ship CCUs. I made sure to grab quite many Freelancer MIS to Super Hornet and vice versa upgrades (since those are free, obviously).
clipboard-1ktrt6.png

Holy crap. Am I reading the "sale" prices of these ships right? Who is paying $100 to $900 for this?

Those who want to support the development. The rest buy the cheapest game package, all you need is this (44,64 € inc. 24% VAT in my case): https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Preorder Squadron 42 also included.

Last edited:
So I've been holding off on upgrading to a Reliant Tana, because someone on chat yesterday said the loaner is an Aurora. Looking at the (dated it seems) loaner chart on the forums though, it says I should get a Hornet as a loaner. Cant anyone confirm one way or the other?
An Aurora is not comparable at all and I'll just stick with my Avenger if thats the case.

No idea, my first thought was starter ship gets starter class loaner.

Well, Hull A came back so I'm sidegrading my Avenger to it for the loaner Connie.
I'll dig out the details on the Tana later... :)

F7C was never intended to have a ball turret stock, it was always an after market upgrade.

F7C-M Super Hornet is the only hornet that comes with the ball turret by default.

Its been awhile but at one point in time they gave military hornets as a loaner to F7C owners which included the ball turret, but that changed a long time ago when the F7C and variants were made flyable i believe.

As for the missiles, i have not flown a stock F7C in awhile so i have no idea what comes stock in AC with the F7C as far as missiles go.

I suspected that, I just haven't been able to find anything more official confirming it. I have a Super Hornet upgrade which I am yet to apply, but may do so now as the standard F7C feels like an under powered pea shooter....especially given the default missile load out which is utterly useless for dog fighting.

I did use some REC points to hire a combine ballistic cannon to attach to my Hornet, kind of hilarious using it in Vanduul swarm.

Hope they address the lag issues, or maybe its just PTU. Game runs fine then my framerate drops into the single digits for a good 10 minutes or so. Comes back, then sometimes I crash out.

Hope they address the lag issues, or maybe its just PTU. Game runs fine then my framerate drops into the single digits for a good 10 minutes or so. Comes back, then sometimes I crash out.

It's the server. Something like that doesn't happen if you play offline.

If you have the option always opt for a fresh instance. I managed to spawn into one such an instance a few times and I was getting excellent framerate (in the 50s-60s on high) using a custom user.cfg

This lasted until the server filled up with players and they started spawning new ships, NPCs and triggering A.I. events then it steadily dropped until settling into the 20s-30s.

This was running dual 290Xs Tri-x OC with the custom Farcry 4 crossfire profile (i had tried all the other recommended ones Crysis 2/3 as well as Ryse and all those gave worse performance)

I don't think that those custom configs are necessary at all. Those probably just break things rather than improve things (if you are messing with threads, CPU job system etc.). Even with single GTX 970 it's pretty much constant vsynced 75 fps in borderless windowed mode if I play offline (with HQ 16x AF forced, maxed in game settings at 1080p). If there's lots of AI ships fighting it drops down to ~50 fps (I bet DX12 could help with that). It's mostly CPU limited, especially their servers. Their client is working pretty well.

What the hell is going with 25GB+ PTU patches? Have they not figured out how to patch incrementally?

What the hell is going with 25GB+ PTU patches? Have they not figured out how to patch incrementally?

Not that I care about this game anymore even though I have a $200+ caterpillar that I don't have yet, but I do prefer full patches as I have fast enough internet that it's faster to just redownload a full file then patch a file. Even with a high-end SSD it still takes longer to 'patch' rather then re-download once you have fast enough internet.

I'm thinking of grabbing a 'just in case' cross chassis upgrade from a Super Hornet to Sabre for $5. Any thoughts?

I suggested to a friend to grab the upgrade and hold onto it until the ship is flyable. For all we know the Saber could turn out to be a dud, take a lot of fine tuning or be the most OP ship ever (300i was originally on ACs release the most OP ship).

When in doubt, just get them both ;)

I have a feeling of the 2 i would fly the Saber more, but i also need to make sure i have a Super Hornet for my F7A kit that i have laying around so no way i would give up my super for a sabre either.

It also depends on the role you might be trying to fill with your ship, if it is for fleet defense or station defense or station assault style game play the Hornet will likely be the better ship for such roles since the enemy needs to come to you if they want to attack what ever asset you are protecting and the enemy can't really run from you if you are the aggressor attacking something since they have to stay relatively close to what they are protecting, reducing the negative impact of the hornets lower speed.

While the sabre will likely be better at the hit and run style or just trying to stay hidden to hide their numbers for a surprise attack and would try to avoid prolonged engagements in a single location.

I normally would pass on these kinda MMOs (maybe not the exact right term but it seems like all games lately are geared towards having people play online with each other and very little single player options)
with really high dumb extra content...but felt the need to ask, would it be worth buying one of the cheap low end ships just to play if they ever go to a "full release"? I wander in and out of gaming these days, and have lurked here for a while. I definitely would not be spending 300+ on a game I might play for a few weeks/months then get bored and move on...

In case people are still on the fence and/or are not well informed. We have known since the original funding campaign several years ago that they would eventually split Squadron 42 (single player) and the Persistent Universe (MMO sandbox universe) and both would be sold separately as $60 games (go read the very first stretch goal). Incidentally this is why CR has called the current pledge options the deal of the century because for $30-45 you can get a starter package that will later cost you $120 since it includes both SQ42 and the PU + the cost of the in-game starter ship in in-game credits. All that for just backing the project early.

Well, that date is coming sometime in January 2016, consider yourselves informed.

I normally would pass on these kinda MMOs (maybe not the exact right term but it seems like all games lately are geared towards having people play online with each other and very little single player options)
with really high dumb extra content...but felt the need to ask, would it be worth buying one of the cheap low end ships just to play if they ever go to a "full release"? I wander in and out of gaming these days, and have lurked here for a while. I definitely would not be spending 300+ on a game I might play for a few weeks/months then get bored and move on...
See my post above.

This is not just an MMO it also has a stand alone single player campaign in the spirit of Wing Commander with at least 50 multipart missions + a free expansion "Behind Enemy Lines". If you don't care about playing the MMO part you can simply ignore it and just play the single player campaign.

See my post above.

This is not just an MMO it also has a stand alone single player campaign in the spirit of Wing Commander with at least 50 multipart missions + a free expansion "Behind Enemy Lines". If you don't care about playing the MMO part you can simply ignore it and just play the single player campaign.

Thanks for the info, makes more sense than what was on the page. Any recommendations as what to get? I am obviously going for cheapest but don't mind spending an extra 10-15 and so on if something is a much better setup in the range. But definitely not in the 100s.

Go for the cheapest as that's the best value for your money. These $30 packages should come up on sale any time during this week. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Star-Citizen-Starter

edit:If you don't want to wait you can get either of the $45 ones [strike=1]https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-AC-Starter or https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha-AC-Starter or [/s] Scratch that this is actually much better, this package has the Aurora Legionnaire (combat oriented variant) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-LN

Then I suggest you download the game and give it a try to see if you like it before committing any further. I can help you try some of the other ships if we meet up in game so you can get a taste for what the game offers first hand.

Oh and allow me to invite you to the [H] org if/once you pledge. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON/

Plus I'm going to shamelessly pimp my referral code, you'll get 5000 in-game credits for signing up using this link (after you pledge at least $40). https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-LCKC-YDPN

Last edited:
Go for the cheapest as that's the best value for your money. These $30 packages should come up on sale any time during this week. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Star-Citizen-Starter

edit:If you don't want to wait you can get either of the $45 ones [strike=1]https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-AC-Starter or https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha-AC-Starter or [/s] Scratch that this is actually much better, this package has the Aurora Legionnaire (combat oriented variant) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-LN

Then I suggest you download the game and give it a try to see if you like it before committing any further. I can help you try some of the other ships if we meet up in game so you can get a taste for what the game offers first hand.

Oh and allow me to invite you to the [H] org if/once you pledge. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON/

Plus I'm going to shamelessly pimp my referral code, you'll get 5000 in-game credits for signing up using this link (after you pledge at least $40). https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-LCKC-YDPN

Thanks for this Lorien! I just bought the game using your code and applied to join DOKAZON. :D

I am completely new to this game....been playing Elite Dangerous since launch though so I am excited for 2 space sims!

Should support it out of the box i would think.

There is likely a default profile for that stick already but you should be able to go through and remap everything to suit your own personal pref.

Oh a bit of good news. There is absolutely no need to buy anything to try the game right now should people be on the fence still. All you have to do is create an account, download the game and pretty much be like a hobo on port Olisar and board other people's ships. You can even "borrow" ships that have been left on the landing pads (they remain locked to the original owner until they board it and will despawn if they log off but it's still something lol).

Thanks for this Lorien! I just bought the game using your code and applied to join DOKAZON. :D

I am completely new to this game....been playing Elite Dangerous since launch though so I am excited for 2 space sims!

Glad to be of help and thanks for supporting the game :)

Last edited:
Back