Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Has anyone been able to pick up some of the discounted starter packages? They always appear to be "0 in stock" it seems, but I have to wonder if they are not being sold to existing accounts flagged with other packages equipped? I considered picking up a few of them for giveaways, sale to new players etc. Am I missing something or do they just sell out in minutes?

They go on sale at the same time every day. I don't remember for sure but i think it was at 9:00 am Pacific time. They where available for me to purchase when I checked so I don't think they are restricted to new accounts. They do sell out pretty fast, literally a couple minutes.

What have I done :D

Personally I have no idea. I would guess that it is probably in some way analogous to tulips, though.

You know what? Mass Effect: Andromeda is supposed to come out next year and what have they shown use....?

This is the kind of cognitive dissonance that SC proponents get so much flack for. ME hasn't been crowd funded to the tune of 100m dollars, to my knowledge. FO4 came out and no one knew shit about it even 8 months or so before release. Because they didn't have to. Because it wasn't crowd funded.

Stop comparing apples to screwdrivers.

A real PU beta isn't coming for SC in 2016. Period. They've still got a lot of work to do just to get the engine to run properly and support a reasonable number of players. On top of that they've got like 60+ professions that all need gameplay created and implemented, 50+ more ships that need created, ~100 star systems that need implemented, an entire economy created and tested and balanced, the list goes on and on. If you think that's all going to happen in a year you're bonkers.

Where did you get all those free upgrades Lorien? I saw that in the store the other day and now can't seem to find those anymore.

Was it a mistake and they removed it?

Go into the extras section of the store and select ship upgrades then sort them by price. They should all still be there and new ones will be added as each day changes the ships that go on sale.

Last edited:
Stop comparing apples to screwdrivers.

A real PU beta isn't coming for SC in 2016. Period. They've still got a lot of work to do just to get the engine to run properly and support a reasonable number of players. On top of that they've got like 60+ professions that all need gameplay created and implemented, 50+ more ships that need created, ~100 star systems that need implemented, an entire economy created and tested and balanced, the list goes on and on. If you think that's all going to happen in a year you're bonkers.
That has hardly anything to do with Squadron 42. Even though they are aiming for 2016 release I'm pretty sure 2017 is the real year for Squadron 42.

That has hardly anything to do with Squadron 42. Even though they are aiming for 2016 release I'm pretty sure 2017 is the real year for Squadron 42.

I agree, (second half of) 2017 is much more likely. The question is will they be able to sustain the required level of funding for so long.

Regarding the PTU, has anyone tried flying to some of the points without the quantum drive?

EDIT: It seems they have and it crashed. We'll hopefully see after a few patches.

Last edited:
Full size 4k: http://i.imgur.com/dbLk2fw.jpg
ByEZIMd.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a way to sell an Idris-P at cost? (same price it sold for initially?)

I have decided I dont think I should keep mine as I dont think I will be able to spend as much time playing SC as I initially thought, I could also use the money for other things not SC related.

I dont want to sell the account though because I will still play SC and I have other ships I want to keep.

There is no way to sell it without selling the account as anything over 1k and over is account bound. (cannot be gifted)

So unless you can gift all your other ships to a new account, and then sell your old account with only the idris left, there is no other way to really do it.

Still only 3 year insurance. Really wanted to get some LTI on my super hornet. Oh well.

You can just get a p-72 LTI and upgrade it to a super with LTI

If you miss the sale of any ship this week that you are interested in they will all be coming back next weekend for sale as well.

Do you know if it will work if I turn in my current Super Hornet in for credits, then buy the P-72 w/ LTI? Then upgrade it to a Super Hornet w/ LTI with the remaining leftover credits?

edit - Just did it, price worked out totally even and everything. It just looks weird in my asset listing on the site.

Last edited:
There is no way to sell it without selling the account as anything over 1k and over is account bound. (cannot be gifted)

So unless you can gift all your other ships to a new account, and then sell your old account with only the idris left, there is no other way to really do it.

I see that even if I exchange the Idris for store credits whatever I buy with said credits are account bound and non-giftable.

Stupid.

Do you know if it will work if I turn in my current Super Hornet in for credits, then buy the P-72 w/ LTI? Then upgrade it to a Super Hornet w/ LTI with the remaining leftover credits?

edit - Just did it, price worked out totally even and everything. It just looks weird in my asset listing on the site.

Yeah I saw someone post a pic on reddit where they have 3 or 4 P72s but he ccu'd them to other stuff, it looks weird but it works though lol.

I see that even if I exchange the Idris for store credits whatever I buy with said credits are account bound and non-giftable.

Stupid.

Yeah it's pretty crappy, This was my biggest gripe about the locked item on store credit use. Before then anyone donating had a easy way to jump ship if they either lost hope in the project or just put to much in during the heat of the moment. It was a nice saftey net to the risk of supporting the project.

I would suggest putting a ticket into CS and see if they can refund you. Just don't be mean about it. It's possible they can even transfer the idris for you. The $1000 limit has to do with our "benevolent" guberment rules.

You can always ask for a refund on that purchase, just explain your situation carefully. It's not a guaranteed thing and they do it on a case by case basis but it can't hurt to try. If I wasn't committed to making double mortgage payments (will finish paying off my house in less than 2 years) I'd offer to buy your account but you aren't looking to do that anyways.

P.S: Sale is going well, about to break $96M
GBdmHO9.jpg

Last edited:
You can always ask for a refund on that purchase, just explain your situation carefully. It's not a guaranteed thing and they do it on a case by case basis but it can't hurt to try. If I wasn't committed to making double mortgage payments (will finish paying off my house in less than 2 years) I'd offer to buy your account but you aren't looking to do that anyways.
I think you're making the better choice.

You can just get a p-72 LTI and upgrade it to a super with LTI

If you miss the sale of any ship this week that you are interested in they will all be coming back next weekend for sale as well.

Or sometime after that. Don't worry about missing on any sale, as everything, no matter how time or hull limited, will go on sale again and again when they feel like it or want some more funding injections.

P.S: Sale is going well, about to break $96M
GBdmHO9.jpg

I would sell my account, I have 2 and I can transfer the ships I wish to keep to my other account. My hesitation to sell the account really has to do with the whole black market thing and I wouldnt want it to get banned and the buyer lose out a lot of money.

Another problem is the account with the Idris uses my primary email address, also the login name is personalized (same as my account here) I'm not sure somebody would want an account like that.

I am going to send a message to Concierge and explain to them that when I purchased the ship I was initially in a different time in my life where I could actually make use of it, but now 2.5+ years later I don't and it would be better off with someone else.

Last edited:
I would sell my account, I have 2 and I can transfer the ships I wish to keep to my other account. My hesitation to sell the account really has to do with the whole black market thing and I wouldnt want it to get banned and the buyer lose out a lot of money.

Another problem is the account with the Idris uses my primary email address, also the login name is personalized (same as my account here) I'm not sure somebody would want an account like that.

I am going to send a message to Concierge and explain to them that when I purchased the ship I was initially in a different time in my life where I could actually make use of it, but now 2.5+ years later I don't have enough free time to make use of it and it would be better off with someone else.

Let us know what they say Lee, I'm curious how accommodating they are allowed to be. Wish the dollar amount wasn't an issue for folks in your situation and you could move it just like any other ship. At the worst, perhaps they could melt and give you salable ships instead of the norm.

The 4k shot I posted probably broke things for the worse. I normally post resized 720p ones and link to the full size but that shot looked so good I just had to post the full size one.

Edit: Fixed it

New patch is out, still a lot of server crashes but CIG have confirmed they're getting closer to sorting.

New patch is out. Crashes changed from constant to all the time. Not a forced premature release for show and anniversary sales money grab at all.

New patch is out. Crashes changed from constant to all the time. Not a forced premature release for show and anniversary sales money grab at all.

I mean, it's not like they only released it to a small number of testers. I think other companies have done this before too, its called ... what was it again... oh right an alpha test. The difference being other companies make those alpha testers sign a strict NDA and they aren't allowed to post anything so people never know how buggy the game is in the alpha state. Instead CIG is doing this all out in the open. If you knew anything about software or game development, especially on a platform as varied and diverse as PC, you would know that an extremely buggy alpha is nothing new.

I mean, it's not like they only released it to a small number of testers. I think other companies have done this before too, its called ... what was it again... oh right an alpha test. The difference being other companies make those alpha testers sign a strict NDA and they aren't allowed to post anything so people never know how buggy the game is in the alpha state. Instead CIG is doing this all out in the open. If you knew anything about software or game development, especially on a platform as varied and diverse as PC, you would know that an extremely buggy alpha is nothing new.

I know both about the development and the SC community. This has nothing to do with valid alpha testing. The PTU is in such a poor state that in no other company would it ever leave the internal QA phase. This was a deliberate move of releasing a broken, not an alpha stage, project just so they would have something to show and reap the benefits from the die hard fanbase portion. I don't fault them. They know they can release a stale cookie and there will always be some that will view it as the second coming and sing praises to any new peace of the game they can get their hands on, no matter what the content and state. That is more the testament of people being hungry for anything for over a year and a half than CIG's work.

Isn't that great for CIG, though? There can be no wrong move. Every single mistake has a convenient explanation. They had to do it because of X, it is ok to go back on promises because of Y, it is 99% non working but it was released for testing, it's an alpha, it's pre-alpha, it's pre-pre-alpha, it's open development, they are showing us so much...

It is a wonderful system where there can be no criticism thrown towards the project because everything can be neatly rationalized. It's really impressive, actually, I can't remember anything similar before that had such a shield from anything but a positive spin.

Yes, the PTU looks great those couple of minutes between crashes, all the other problems aside, but this is nowhere near being ready for any kind of public testing. It is no coincidence that Twitch streamers got in the action first and seeing how they have hundreds of viewers watching the crashing and loading screens 99% of the time and still throwing money both at them and the game is telling of just how smelly a turd CIG can put out and still have it seen as caviar.

Not surprising that you have such little knowledge of closed alpha testing, I doubt companies invite many people with your level of helpful and reasoned discourse into closed testing. I have been in many closed alphas, some have been better than the current PTU, many have been much worse from both a bug and feature perspective.

Not surprising that you have such little knowledge of closed alpha testing, I doubt companies invite many people with your level of helpful and reasoned discourse into closed testing. I have been in many closed alphas, some have been better than the current PTU, many have been much worse from both a bug and feature perspective.

The only way they could've been worse is if they immediately loaded a black screen. And less features? Now I know you're making things up as this is not even 1% of assets or game mechanics.

And to get any level of helpful you'd actually have to release something remotely working. Just because they've let an internal branch outside QA where it should have stayed for some time more doesn't automatically mean they are doing a proper alpha testing. If the only problem was server load you would have a point, but the issues run much deeper and wider and those should have spent more time internally before spewing out anything no matter the state, just to be able to say you've done something on time.

Arena Commander was a proper alpha, PTU not even close to having to see the light of day. But sales wouldn't have the same punch they do now if the PTU hadn't raised interest considerably. It was a great marketing move for CIG and a net benefit, but don't pretend it's something it's not.

Last edited:
What time have the new day's ships been going on sale? I'm waiting to pick up a Phoenix upgrade on Thursday but I have to travel super early on Thanksgiving so not sure when I'll have time to buy it. Hopefully I can pick one up Wednesday midnight PST but I haven't been paying attention to the sale so I have no idea.

What time have the new day's ships been going on sale? I'm waiting to pick up a Phoenix upgrade on Thursday but I have to travel super early on Thanksgiving so not sure when I'll have time to buy it. Hopefully I can pick one up Wednesday midnight PST but I haven't been paying attention to the sale so I have no idea.

I think this weekend everything is going to be on sale so you should be able to pick it up then.

Back