Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Only the first few have been reveled up to 10 referrals, the other levels are still secret. Lando did say the levels are in place and can be triggered, but no idea if the rewards are (levels are something like 1,3,5,10,20,42,100 or something like that).

Got 20 and nothing, hes talking shit

Pirates being piraty and Idrii docked ready to launch :cool:

Wallpaper size: http://i.imgur.com/bspMxbT.jpg
IBdWKhv.jpg

Would love this in a 3440x1440 format.

Looks like during Ship Shape while they were talking about the Conni they were working on the Khartu-al in real time, you can see a reference image open and a program with the model open and someone working on it.

pdh6Sx4.jpg

84Y37gJ.jpg

Last edited:
I havent been following SC much for like the past 6 months. I understand that 2.0 is due out "Soon" and it is to have multicrew ships working, but other than that I have no clue what else.

Is there a list of features that are expected to be in 2.0? If not can someone just make a quick list of the major/cool ones? Thanks.

It's basically the baby PU. Multi crew is what jumps out, but it should also have missions, some fps play and be a HUGE map with places to explore. Possibly also some exposure to NPC interaction. It will be the point where they can start adding and testing all elements of the PU in one module versus the modules. However, it should be noted that the modules (arena commander and star marine) will still continue to be used for focused testing of those areas, but they will be able to test things there and then roll them into the 2.0 map for full environment testing. Ideally, test possible game breaking updates in the modules, tweak them to be functional, then add them to 2.0 for full testing/balancing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15058-Weekly-Development-Update

Get out your lucky pants and three-leaf clovers out because Murphy’s Law was in full force this week! No, it’s not a new game feature – we suffered some unfortunate news in our Lead FPS Programmer falling off his bicycle and breaking his wrist! This certainly wasn’t in the schedule so with him out of action for a few weeks we’ve had to pool some resources from other areas to help pitch in with getting 2.0 out of the door. It’s certainly not what we needed at such a critical time in the project but these things do happen.

Ah, that pesky FPS. "We really want to deliver and not delay for the billionth time and put out a barely working mess due to our incompetence, but the gods have it against us." :(

I havent been following SC much for like the past 6 months. I understand that 2.0 is due out "Soon" and it is to have multicrew ships working, but other than that I have no clue what else.

Is there a list of features that are expected to be in 2.0? If not can someone just make a quick list of the major/cool ones? Thanks.

Been a little busy (They put a couple of students to shadow me, I must say it is rather nice having slav... err people working for me lol) but here's a run down of some of the biggest features.

Multi crew ships (local physics grid) fully working: Constellation and Retaliator at minimum
All the basic FPS mechanics/gameplay framework from/for Star Marine will be included. This also means weapons, grenades, different armor suits, etc.
New flight model that adds several new modes(dubbed IFCS 2.0) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20
An entire solar system to explore (possibly more? they seem to be keeping the exact details tightly under wraps).
Several space stations that you can launch from, there will also be derelict space stations (see citizencon demo).
Initial release of proper EVA mechanics
Space platforms with refueling/repair drones(see citizencon demo)
Actual missions that you can pick up from NPCs (not 100% confirmed)

I'm missing more but that's off the top of my head and it goes without saying there will be emergent gameplay as people interact and find things to do together or against one another.

Live demo from citizencon stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zTVVG-WF4
Here's the version they showed to the press: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpeLpQWzTk

7ugHbzR.jpg
OBWLLJT.jpg

1CAznen.jpg
EKYTyTp.jpg

Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention the Constellation got a full revamp/upgrade (both interior and exterior) as well as a game performance optimization pass (less unseen polygons while adding more detail) . Here's a video of the work that went into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dKJkZl7-w

Almost forgot, they also unofficially revealed "The Next Great Star Marine", in the same vein as "The Next Great Starship". If you remember for TNGS the initial entry submission was a weapon and the competition revolved around a full ship. This time the entry will be a helmet and the competition will be a Class 9 Titan Suit. :cool:

Last edited:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/296342

Hello Backers, Star Citizens, Gentlemen and Ladies!

Good news and bad news - I can confirm that the much requested and highly anticipated 'User Unmelt Tool' is now in development and we're hoping to release this before the end of the year if all goes to plan.

Be patient, it's coming! :)

As such, we are no longer able to honour your unmelt requests. All requests we had received up until today have been solved/closed and a template response provided (we don't like templates either - don't be mad! D;). Future unmelt requests will likely be replied to with a similar message and closed/solved.

Now, I very much appreciate that for you guys 'n gals who had already been patiently awaiting a response, this may come a little unexpected.

As you all know we have been pretty slammed here at Customer Services and I did not take this action lightly, but all things considered this means we are now better able to deal with all service requests as a whole, serving the community in a much more efficient way.

Your understanding with us is much appreciated!

If you have any questions/concerns, please post down yonder - I will keep checking back and provide answers where I can.

Thanks all!

Some clarifications on questions raised:

Q: Will I be able to restore/unmelt BUKs, Pods and ship modules, too?
A: Yes, there is no reason why this wouldn't apply to these types of pledges.

Q: Until the new auto-tools go live, will Customer Services still be able to restore/unmelt stuffs for me?
A: No. Part of the reason we're implementing this tool is to reduce Customer Service workload. No sauce, sorry guys 'n gals (this was the bad news I had referred to in OP).

Q: Will the service be limited (time limit, types of pledges, etc.)?
A: Partially, yes. As before, it will not be possible to unmelt or restore packages with physical components, such as the Rear Admiral pledge - these had been phased out some time ago. There may be other necessary restrictions, but this tool is only now being developed and still needs to get its cycle in QA to make sure it all makes sense.

Don't forget, this tool is being created for your convenience, and we have no interest or motive to artificially restrict the way this tool works. Any restrictions affecting this would be necessary to maintain integrity of the system.

I sought some clarification pertaining to the ummelt or 'buy back' of upgraded pledges and it turns out I told a lie! :O

The backend side of it gets a little more complicated than I had anticipated, and the way our system is able to automate the unmelting process is by essentially copying the melted package (aka. SKU - Store Keeping Unit, a discreet saleable unit) and creating a new SKU.

Where this becomes relevant is when one considers that an upgraded ship is a combination of two separate SKUs - the base pledge and the applied upgrade, they do not combine into a new single SKU. (Evidenced by how upgraded pledges appear in the 'My Hangar' view.)

As there are a myriad of possible base and upgrade SKU combinations, it is not feasable (far from!) to have the system be able to account for all of these, thus when auto-unmelt/'buy-back' is initiated by yourselves, the system can only copy and recreate the base SKU/Pledge but not the applied upgrade!

Whilst this effectively means you will have the ability to indirectly remove upgrades from pledges without our assistance, it does also mean that a limited upgrade would still be lost if it had been applied to a base pledge which was melted.

TL;DR: Unmelting/'buying back' a package with an upgrade applied would only restore the base package. Applied upgrades are lost and not restored alongside the base pledge.

Looking forward to this, it will put me one step closer to getting my LTI Andromeda so i can apply my Phoenix upgrade.

My LTI ship i had planned for that process got nuked when the Vanguard Harbinger came up for sale.

^ They truly are incompetent in every department. :(

Part of the reason we're implementing this tool is to reduce Customer Service workload.

Those refund requests by backers and investors alike probably complicate things for the CS.

Those refund requests by backers and investors alike probably complicate things for the CS.

How is the above any indication of incompetence? If anything, it shows both an interest in efficiency and quality-of-life for players.

Note that "melting/unmelting" has nothing to do with refund requests at all, and there are no "investors" in the project at the moment. CIG is not a public company, nor are they beholden to VCs or any controlling financial interest; backers are the primary method of funding for the game.

"Melting/unmelting" is the practice of players taking existing ships or packages they own and turning them into store credit for the purchase of other content they want or the reverse, where a user decides a previously "melted" package (of which CIG keeps a record) they would like back, so they buy gift cards/credit up to the value of the melted package, which is then restored to their account. In both cases, it shows continued interest and happiness with the game and in the latter, it actually means an additional willing investment. Overall, its a thoughtful paradigm for the development of a game of this sort, as it allows the player base to put their funds into whatever packages they find most attractive so they never feel "stuck" by what they've purchased. For instance, recently the Endeavor heavy science (including configs for general science, agriculture, mobile hospital etc) vessel was introduced. Lots of players were interested in this play style, but may have already invested in other ships and packages. If CIG was acting like a typical developer/crowdfunder/publisher, they'd probably say "tough shit, you want the new thing? Give us more money". However, they know that it will make for happier players (who will be more willing to spend in the long run), if players can trade in the value of their current packages (at full dollar value, mind you) towards a new one that interests them.

Up until this announcement, Melting and Unmelting had to be manually processed by a customer service rep at CIG. As the player base of the game has grown, new ships were released, and awareness of the melt/unmelt process spread, I can definitely see how this would be something that would exponentially expand the workload of the CS department. This would also mean that the wait time for processing would increase. Thus, it makes perfect sense to find a way to automate the process so that players can initiate it themselves within most situations at least.

Last edited:

Did you see the Reddit thread about Infinity Battlescape or whatever the hell it's called, with SC zealots pulling their KS pledges from the game just because Derek Smart backed it and the dev for it had like a 3 twit interaction with Derek Smart 5 months ago and didn't call him an asshole in it?

SC redditors = literally the worst gaming community on the planet.

How is the above any indication of incompetence?

Because it's something that's been going on forever and should be very easily automatable but hasn't been. Instead they throw money at CS agents to do it. Including one of their VPs. You'd think there'd be a better use of a VPs time.

Note that "melting/unmelting" has nothing to do with refund requests at all

No one said it did, other than (as he said) they both put loads on CS.

and there are no "investors" in the project at the moment.

Pretty sure you're 100% wrong on this. Unless the one that just pulled out is the only one, in which case you'd be right at this very second, but wrong as of a day or two ago. It seems they did take on investors back in the early days to provide money to get the work done to start the funding process and website and the initial footage seen there and on the KS.

"Melting/unmelting" is the practice of players taking existing ships or packages they own and turning them into store credit for the purchase of other content they want or the reverse, where a user decides a previously "melted" package (of which CIG keeps a record) they would like back, so they buy gift cards/credit up to the value of the melted package, which is then restored to their account. In both cases, it shows continued interest and happiness with the game and in the latter, it actually means an additional willing investment. Overall, its a thoughtful paradigm for the development of a game of this sort, as it allows the player base to put their funds into whatever packages they find most attractive so they never feel "stuck" by what they've purchased. For instance, recently the Endeavor heavy science (including configs for general science, agriculture, mobile hospital etc) vessel was introduced. Lots of players were interested in this play style, but may have already invested in other ships and packages. If CIG was acting like a typical developer/crowdfunder/publisher, they'd probably say "tough shit, you want the new thing? Give us more money". However, they know that it will make for happier players (who will be more willing to spend in the long run), if players can trade in the value of their current packages (at full dollar value, mind you) towards a new one that interests them.

Up until this announcement, Melting and Unmelting had to be manually processed by a customer service rep at CIG. As the player base of the game has grown, new ships were released, and awareness of the melt/unmelt process spread, I can definitely see how this would be something that would exponentially expand the workload of the CS department. This would also mean that the wait time for processing would increase. Thus, it makes perfect sense to find a way to automate the process so that players can initiate it themselves within most situations at least.

Or, it's just a very effective marketing ploy. CIG knows that many people that have already bought ships aren't going to stump up the $350+ for the latest one, so they, e.g., give them the option of melting their two $100 ships, kicking in an additional $150, and getting the latest and greatest.

They know someone that's only bought $200 bucks or so of ships to date isn't likely to nearly triple their purchases just for one ship, but give them the melt option and all of a sudden it's only a 40% or 75% or whatever % increase, which is much more financially palatable to many.

Last edited:
Xaeos friend, they ain't worth the time or effort.

This album of QA testing 2.0, on the other hand, is :) http://imgur.com/a/Al85d

Nu6grf3.jpg

s5ErRP2.jpg

Back to the Bulls game

P.S: Jimmy G. Buckets, the G stands for GETS :D

Last edited:
Looks sweet. I just hope that they manage to get rid of that typical CryEngine aliasing.

Did you see the Reddit thread about Infinity Battlescape or whatever the hell it's called, with SC zealots pulling their KS pledges from the game just because Derek Smart backed it and the dev for it had like a 3 twit interaction with Derek Smart 5 months ago and didn't call him an asshole in it?

SC redditors = literally the worst gaming community on the planet.

A very small minority of Star Citizen backers that just happen to make up a few members of the Star Citizen Reddit community doesn't make an entire Reddit community by any stretch of the imagination. If they want to pull their money for that reason, so be it, it's a stupid reason but it's their reason.

A very small minority of Star Citizen backers that just happen to make up a few members of the Star Citizen Reddit community doesn't make an entire Reddit community by any stretch of the imagination.

You act like that's the only objectionable thing that SC redditors have done/said.

Mark Hamill - Lt. Commander Steven "Old Man" Colton (he will be our sidekick/companion throughout the game) :cool:
CULuWjIW4AAriLu.jpg

Full interview Including Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies and CR
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen/news/star_citizen_squadron_42,48820,3239545.html

Interview with John Rhys-Davies - Graves. So good, SLIDERS best show ever mothafucka!
http://www.gamestar.de/videos/specials,20/star-citizen-squadron-42,86250.html

PCGamer interview with Mark Hamill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQPzHerrPE

Another Steven Colton early in-game shot
MMeRCR9.jpg

Last edited:
Less than 2 hours to go for the livestream http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Anvil Crucible is confirmed to be available
Anvil Aerospace Crucible – A so-called “flying toolbox,” the Crucible is the ship you want on your side when you suffer an asteroid collision or survive a pirate attack! Structurally, the Crucible consists of a cockpit, drive unit and workshop. The Crucible’s workshop is versatile: it can be used as a base for conducting EVA repairs (complete with requisite tool storage) or it can use magnetic grapplers to attach directly to a ship hull. In this situation, the workshop actually opens to space and allows a repair crew direct access to a damaged ship. The workshop can either maintain artificial gravity or allow for zero-g repair operations, depending on the needs of the mission. The Crucible’s cockpit is also outfitted with an array of repair tools, including dual purpose mounts that can exchange weapons for tractor beams and remote manipulator arms. The Crucible is also part of a larger planned repair system. For larger project, independent sections of support struts and drive units, called the Miller ERS (External Repair Structure), can be locked together to form a sort of scaffolding around a damaged starship, the next best thing to an orbital drydock. A standard ERS unit includes a small drive, thrusters, magnetic attach points and modular hardpoints for mounting tractor beams, repair tools or weapons. ERS segments each have a code defining their shape (P1 = Straight section, P2= Left turn, P3 = Right turn, etc.) with the multiple layouts allowing extensive zero-gravity construction as necessary. In the case of damaged capital ships, like the Navy’s Bengal carriers, hundreds of ERS units might be formed into a latticework serviced by a dozen or more Crucibles.

P-72 LTI for $30 (for fucks sake this is not a new ship and came with the Phoenix, by these rules the Merlin should have LTI)

Avenger variants and modules.

and Crucible for $350.

They know people will buy it for the LTI and then upgrade them to arbitrary ships.

And they're right - I'm sorely tempted to buy 2-3.

EDIT: RSI site is getting hammered pretty bad.

Any updates on the peripherals/HOTAS (especially the high end variant)? I've not been able to tune into the stream this time. Likewise, anything on a "major" Anniversary Sale coming soon?

So the P-72 LTI is now available and is only $30? Honestly, I'd think they'd be more expensive, if sold at all.. I assume Phoenix owners are granted one for free, with LTI, I should hope? Same with the "Lynx" or whatever the "high end RSI rover" was called when it is ready? I wonder if this means that the Origin 890 Jump "runabouts" and the Idris Frigate's included subordinate/service ship will be available for pledge a la carte as well? Oh speaking of buying LTI packages and upgrading, does anyone know if upgrading a LTI package to another ship will confer the "goodies" for the LTI version of the "new" ship, like models/posters and the like?

I really enjoy the depths of the design for the repair system, as detailed here - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance (and the Crucible's page - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...n/15066-Wandering-Workshop-The-Anvil-Crucible ) . CIG is really fleshing out all the gameworld professions, even those that aren't just direct combat ones, which is fantastic!

Sale plans for those interested.

Friday, November 20th: Exploration
Endeavor and Modules
Carrack

Saturday, November 21st: Piracy
Caterpillar
Herald
Redeemer
Cutlass Blue

Sunday, November 22nd: Military
Retaliator and Modules
Starfarer Gemini
Sabre
Super Hornet

Monday, November 23rd: Racing
M50
Mustang Delta
350R

Tuesday, November 24th: Aliens
Khartu-al
Banu Merchantman
Reliant

Wednesday, November 25th: Working Starships
Reclaimer
Genesis Starliner
Orion
Aurora LX
Starfarer

Thursday, November 26th: Mercantile
Freelancer MIS
Hull Series
Constellation Phoenix

Friday, November 27th – Sunday, November 29th: All Previously Offered Ships!

From Friday through Sunday, all ships previously available during this sale will return. Pick up your favorite as soon as it appears, or wait until the finale to make your choice!

Vanguard is hangar ready in 2.0 oh damn nice..

modular keyboard is $200, low end hotas is $150, pre orders start in december and expected delivery is in april-may?

Keyboard is more expensive than i expected.

I am most interested in the high end stick tho so i am holding out on both of those until a later date.

Also dont want to be apart of the first wave which usually is more prone to issue that get reworked in later iterations.

Last edited:
I may look into the keyboard since im in the market. but I'm looking more for at a Ducky or something similar

Back