Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Pretty accurate description of his modus operandi

P.S: Now for some real content. We have now confirmation through the response letter to the escapist that the cast of actors for SQ42 will be revealed at CitizenCon in a few days. And we also have confirmation that at least one old favorite cast member from Wing Commander will be returning. My gut wants it to be John Rys Davis but I'll be glad to see any one of them.

Man, I would LOVE to see and hear John Rys Davis in SQ42! The question would be what kind of roll he would play, like the captain of the Idris that you are apart of.

Do I think they are pissing it all away and don't plan to finish the game? No, they are one of the few kickstarter things I've backed that constantly show progress in terms of development news, blogs, art, etc.

Hell there's other games I've backed that are over 2+ years past their schedule (Without anything being added to them) that are lucky to get an update every 4 months or so.

That's exactly the reason for my concern. They constantly waste money on appearances, while we see very little actual development. New art and news articles, and "chairman" letters are not progress. The whole company seems more like a cult worshipping Chris Roberts, than an actual development team.

I knew they couldn't deliver on time, but I did expect them to deliver at least an alpha 1-2 years past deadline.

Why? Its the most entertaining aspect of this entire drama...

I don't know who Kevin Dent is, but he sure made himself look like an idiot in that exchange. If Smart is even half a dick Dent thinks he is, it makes it even more sad.

That's exactly the reason for my concern. They constantly waste money on appearances, while we see very little actual development. New art and news articles, and "chairman" letters are not progress. The whole company seems more like a cult worshipping Chris Roberts, than an actual development team.

I knew they couldn't deliver on time, but I did expect them to deliver at least an alpha 1-2 years past deadline.

Exactly. I've always expected a significant delay, but I didn't expect this and various questionable directions they took with several game aspects. It started to smell long before Derek Smart came in the picture, from the very beginnings of AC module.

I am a bit torn as CR did help fund Everspace via a mention on the SC website but I honestly do not think SC will ever be released in state that will meet expectations. Managing expectations is the job of the CEO or Chris Roberts in the case of SC. His gaze has exceeded his grasp by light years.

Except 95% of the posts are now about bashing CR or bashing SC fans, NOT about the game itself. So, no, those posts don't belong here. If you want to praise/criticize/discuss actual aspects of the game, cool. Otherwise, you are threadcrapping.

Excuse me what? ?This thread is about the ongoing development (or lack thereof) of SC so the current news is relevant especially if the allegations prove to be accurate.

I just want an amazing space game, why must we have all of this drama all of the sudden :(.

The game snowballed after kickstarter, going from a much smalle rgame to something much bigger with fps, land, etc. A lot of games that don't even encompass multiple playstyles (IE no flying + fps) can have 4-5 year development cycles.

Hell look at fallout 4.

I never expected this game to be done that soon, especailly once we knew we'd be getting so much.

Do I think they might have could have held back on the "feature creep" a bit? Yes.

Do I think they are pissing it all away and don't plan to finish the game? No, they are one of the few kickstarter things I've backed that constantly show progress in terms of development news, blogs, art, etc.

Hell there's other games I've backed that are over 2+ years past their schedule (Without anything being added to them) that are lucky to get an update every 4 months or so.

The problem with their feature creep, is unlike a major studio, it's not like they have near unlimited financial resources to move around to make sure the job gets finished. There's a very real possibility of running out of cash.

Man, I would LOVE to see and hear John Rys Davis in SQ42! The question would be what kind of roll he would play, like the captain of the Idris that you are apart of.

John Rys Davies was in both Wing Commander as well as Freelancer, so I would think that it would not be a stretch that he would do so VO for Sqn42.

CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit

While they have some valid criticism of The Escapist's article, they did little to disprove the main issues, but decided to focus on personal fluff. Can't wait to see how this goes.

158078-Jerry-Seinfeld-popcorn-gif-Img-NI3K.gif

Oh, and legal wanted for them to wait, but they just so wanted to get this out there...just before the Citizencon. Gotta fix that PR ASAP.

Some people on RSI forum really scare me:
"When you all started this journal you knew that tough times were in the future, you knew you would have to fight to have your dream completed. You also knew that out in the real world there would be people that shared your vision but lacked the tools or skills to build that vision and there would be people who had no interest in your vision.

Those of us who have backed this game over the years knew that it would take time to make a universe where we could all live out the fantasy lives we hope for, giving us that feeling of freedom from our real life worries for just a while. Allowing us to share that feeling with people who searched for it too and develop friendships and relationships that we can treasure in the real world just as much as in our game universe.

I am one of those people! As one of those people I send you this message.

I STILL HAVE FAITH IN YOU! I STILL SHARE YOUR VISION !

I will wait until you tell me OUR game is finished and until that time let the haters hate. IF it takes another year or two that's fine with me, because I still have faith that you will finish what you started, you are after all just another bunch of gamers at heart."

Last edited:
That's exactly the reason for my concern. They constantly waste money on appearances.

A Lot of that stuff if not all of it is paid for by subscribers.

That is the whole point of the subscribers, that money is used to pay for community content like 10ftc and ATV and other things like events like citizencon or gamescom, none of that is funded out of the games 90million budget, unless someone melts a ship to pay for their sub, but if someone buys their sub directly it never gets added to the budget total not sure if it gets removed from the total if they melt something for store credit and then pay for the sub tho.

We would not have those weekly shows without subscribers.

I am a bit torn as CR did help fund Everspace via a mention on the SC website but I honestly do not think SC will ever be released in state that will meet expectations. Managing expectations is the job of the CEO or Chris Roberts in the case of SC. His gaze has exceeded his grasp by light years.

It depends on who's expectations though, the issue with crowdfunding in general is that you have a huge amount of people throwing their money in the hat and being completely ignorant of the whole process and or what the description of the project even means or what to expect at the end of it. As a backer, I'm very happy with the progress that's been made thus far and the updates, I knew full well what I was getting myself in for, and also knew that at the end of it, it might not meet what I was expecting at the beginning when I pledged, if so, I'll walk away not saying another word.

As for all the comments and allegations made against the HR department and CIG management regarding racism, it's going to take a lot more than a few comments by a few ex-staff for me to take them seriously, especially considering all the different people that are employed by CIG. The actions of CIG don't seem to correspond with the allegations being made. Also, with no industry insiders and experts backing up Mr Smart's claims of Star Citizen being completely impossible to be made, even with $200million in crowd funding, it does seem strange that he's making those comments, especially with him not having the experience of creating such a massive game or knowing the heavily modified engine that CIG is using.

You know CR doesn't have any experience making such a massive game as well, right? Or any experience making any game at all for the last twelve years or so.

I think the insiders and experts are just staying out of it completely. That doesn't mean they're on CRs side.

Add in Jennisons claims of massively wasteful spending by CIG and it gets even harder to sweep this under the rug.

Some people on RSI forum really scare me

not sure how that quote is scary, just seems like a passionate fan

I would not mind waiting a year or 2 more as well, only if it is done right, i mean they are working on 2 games a single player that leads to a mmo

not sure how that quote is scary, just seems like a passionate fan

I would not mind waiting a year or 2 more as well, only if it is done right, i mean they are working on 2 games a single player that leads to a mmo

It's the wording and the general feeling of too much involvement and personal investment in an unhealthy level.

Excuse me what? ?This thread is about the ongoing development (or lack thereof) of SC so the current news is relevant especially if the allegations prove to be accurate.

Don't worry about what these people are saying. There are a few here who still blindly believe we are getting what is promised and this might be one of the few in this thread that dropped thousands on the game. I spent about 120 on this game since the very beginning and I think its lost. I can stomach that loss but these others who have spent thousands you can tell who they are by what they say/

I can see your concern but..... I took it as more of a passionate fan. Which can be a bad thing, when they go "over the wall." That said, although I've been hearing some bad news about it, was there anything that sonded like "We can't finish" or along those lines?

I barely follow the kickstarter I did kickstart, let alone this one that I did not participate in. I just hope these things pulls through, since it's just sad to see money go down the drain.... and if they don't finish, I hope they'll release their stuff to backers. Like code, and art assets, etc.

I've spent about ~$200 on this game. I don't think it is a loss, if anything this will prove that funding a game of this nature is possible and that there is still an interest in the space sim genre. Hopefully CIG will perform and we can actually play an open world PU instead of this arena death match/racing bullshit we have now.

Has there been an update to when th single player will be done? Last I heard was December this year. Has that been delayed again?

Has there been an update to when th single player will be done? Last I heard was December this year. Has that been delayed again?

This weekend is CitCon in England (Foundry 42 studio location). I bet we will see a lot more on the single player then and hopefully the first few chapters will be playable.

Hey. Maybe we can start a thread about actually playing this game, and leave this one to continue as it's going.

It's the wording and the general feeling of too much involvement and personal investment in an unhealthy level.

This isn't really all addressed to you Meeho; just that you brought up a good segue for my thinking on the whole thing just from a different angle that I think you intended.

People threw money at this that they shouldn't have. Those are the ones that seem to have the most problem with the whole thing.

I'm not talking about the quote you referenced as I didn't read it, but the situation you're referencing. People gave money they shouldn't have given so they are emotionally invested in this thing. Most adults I interact with don't sweat a meal that isn't great or an item they aren't perfectly happy with (talk to me about motorcycles...). But this video game project, that had risky written ALL over may not being run to fortune 500 standards and people lose their shit.

Early on (pre-kickstarter), I was one of the people that felt that the more people involved and backing the better. I was under the assumption those new people would approach it as I did. Now I see that was a huge error. I get it, I just wish we didn't have all the armchair quarterbacks and hand wringing worriers about their "investment" or the "good of the industry". Those are huge distractions that along with the extra money they're just not prepared for.

This is both CIG's fault and the horrific impulse control of the average gamer right along with fans like me who answered questions from friends and peers out of excitement and let that be infectious.

I'd only ask that every single person that feels righteous about their money stop for a moment and take some responsibility. YOU gave them money and YOU knew (or should have known) what this was about. It's not like there wasn't vast amounts of red flags and information out there. It's fine to be pissed as long as you're just as pissed at yourself and recognize that likely part of your anger is stemmed from being foolish with your money. Every single addition to the basic idea added risk and there were tons of them.

The thread crapping thing is a shame to me. It's obviously been a fan thread for the vast majority of the posts and while it seems fine to shit all over something in the name of "discussion" I've always tried to get the feel of a thread before stomping in like an asshole that nobody wants around. If I disagree with the direction of a thread, I just cruise on by not wanting to waste my time; it's too valuable to me to do that kind of thing. But it's certainly not against the rules as we're often beaten about the head and neck about or the mods would have acted by now. You know, "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole".

CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit

While they have some valid criticism of The Escapist's article, they did little to disprove the main issues, but decided to focus on personal fluff. Can't wait to see how this goes.

Oh, and legal wanted for them to wait, but they just so wanted to get this out there...just before the Citizencon. Gotta fix that PR ASAP.

Some people on RSI forum really scare me:
Wait a sec, I haven't been following closely but if they are threatening legal action, where is that money coming from?

If it's coming from the pool of money they have from backers I'm not overly happy.

Wait a sec, I haven't been following closely but if they are threatening legal action, where is that money coming from?

If it's coming from the pool of money they have from backers I'm not overly happy.

Threatening legal action doesn't cost them anything. It could well just be posturing and attempting to save face. Because actually playing chicken in court could backfire if some of the skeletons in the closet alleged in the Escapist article are true, not to mention could expose new ones.

This weekend is CitCon in England (Foundry 42 studio location). I bet we will see a lot more on the single player then and hopefully the first few chapters will be playable.

I don't see how this will be remotely possible considering the foundational mechanics aren't finished.

I don't see how this will be remotely possible considering the foundational mechanics aren't finished.

I don't know why they would have it in Manchester if they weren't releasing something with Sq42. I have no idea what it is I just hope it is something good.

Edit: something playable rather

I don't know why they would have it in Manchester if they weren't releasing something with Sq42. I have no idea what it is I just hope it is something good.

Edit: something playable rather

They are probably going to announce some details about SQ42 (casting) but nothing playable, that is almost guaranteed.

Don't worry about what these people are saying. There are a few here who still blindly believe we are getting what is promised and this might be one of the few in this thread that dropped thousands on the game. I spent about 120 on this game since the very beginning and I think its lost. I can stomach that loss but these others who have spent thousands you can tell who they are by what they say/

I spent about $35 on it, but nice try.

This game is to big to fail..... queue the government BAILOUT!!! :p

Seriously before we all start crying out SCAM, lets give them more time to see if CIG can pull this off.

The thread crapping thing is a shame to me. It's obviously been a fan thread for the vast majority of the posts and while it seems fine to shit all over something in the name of "discussion" I've always tried to get the feel of a thread before stomping in like an asshole that nobody wants around. If I disagree with the direction of a thread, I just cruise on by not wanting to waste my time; it's too valuable to me to do that kind of thing. But it's certainly not against the rules as we're often beaten about the head and neck about or the mods would have acted by now. You know, "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole".

I haven't followed this thread much lately, so I can't assess if there was actual thread crapping going on and from whom, but I'll explain where I'm coming from. I took a more aggressive negative stance, more so than I actually believe. Sort of a devil's advocate if you will. I went further in the other direction because of those people who want to shut down any criticism and concern. I don't like that. I dislike blind zealots and apologists even more than trolls and thread crappers. I've been dealing with such people since AC came out and valid concerns were being raised over what was promised regarding gameplay and mechanics and where CIG was going.

I have invested more money in this game than any other. I've even bought new hardware for it and a new HOTAS system. The last joystick I've used was for Wing Commander IV and Privateer games. I care about this game and I want it to succeed. But I can't ignore all the warning signs and seeing past the BS and surface fluff that CIG has been showing for the past year. I've always expected the game to be a year or two behind what was originally promised. But other than constant delays beyond belief, I am more worried about questionable gameplay choices, constant backtracking, ignoring of MASSIVE threads that go on for months and even years now with issues that, as the poll after poll shows, are important to the majority of backers, no visible core progress being made, shitty installation/launcher issues that should have been resolved on day two, missing every deadline they themselves set, questionable leavings of high profile people, unprofessional community events and presentations with poor execution and problems that were only charming the first ten times, feature creep after feature creep that serves as fluff only, perpetual overpromising and underdelivering...

There are valid issues raised that need to be discussed, and CIG/CR's response and some community members' behavior did little to dispel them.

Hey fellas, chiming in after the news today, sorry if I'm just another rabbler. Catching up on the last few pages now. I'll be honest I was watching when all this star citizen business started, but in truth I kind of ignored this thread and it. I heard Chris Roberts is making X game kickstarter, I didn't know who chris roberts was Im an 80s kid, Wing commander was before my time at a keyboard and mouse, then I heard it was gonna be this big epic version of the X space sims series(at its heart), but on a scale that, as an engineer, I felt was unrealistic. It would take the resources teams and money of multiple triple A publishers, not studios, to make it happen. Its not about skill or enthusiasm, it's production management and money. Thats just reality.

With that I did not donate because it was a project that to me looked like a decade of work and I didn't see any reason to spend any money on something I could play a decade later, ironically when technology would catch up and this would be common place, it was like preordering my 2013 Dart Rally-E in 2001 because they promised they could have it ready in 2005.

Anyway I finally sat down and read the Escapist thing published today and man this sounds rough. Im not bagging on anybody who donated, I came with in a hairs breath of donating to marsone and Ive donated to plenty of stuff Ill never see. I hope it pans out for you guys and the devs but this sounds really bad based on whats out in the spotlight now.

Hey. Maybe we can start a thread about actually playing this game, and leave this one to continue as it's going.

Im curious could anybody point me towards some gameplay perspective stuff. I saw mostly demo stuff online, I agree I thought this thread was always about development/kickstarter discussion. Seems like a gameplay thread might be in order no?

You'll want a youtube search of something like, "arena commander combat" or "arena commander let's play". Stuff like that. If you're only going to watch a few minutes, sort vids by more recent since modes, effects and ships etc have been added/changed over the last year.

Just caught up on this earlier as well.

scoobymechamuttmenace.jpg

If Derek Smart was right, man o' man....

(Please don't attack/flame me, I've made it a point to avoid this thread as much as possible. But the Escapist article is very disconcerting....)

Look at it like this:
2Mil Squadron 42
4Mil Squadron 42 with Freelancer like open space
6Mil Full sized experience with big single player Squadron 42 and big Freelecer type open space game in full glory.

With 6Mil we will get full sized Wing Commander like game mode with Freelancer openess and persistent open world, and what Maplehamwich said.

Laughing my ass off at this quote from almost 3 years ago. Shows you just how insane and unrealistic CR became as the cash flowed in and the scope crept into the mesosphere.

He should have built what is listed above when he hit $21 million and did not need outside investors.

CS4 stated: "It never felt like they were trying to make a game, as much as digital spaceships to sell."

This quote is why I have avoided speaking in this thread until now.

I knew, once people were spending $100+ on a single ship, something was seriously wrong.

I won't comment in this thread again until proof is shown one way or the other.

I just felt the need to speak my mind, this once.

Back